Mon 12/10/18 09:31 AM
Nope.

I'm going to guess....Stormy?

actionlynx's photo
Mon 12/10/18 09:30 AM

actionlynx's photo
Mon 12/10/18 09:02 AM

blatantly dismissing your own personal feelings

Keyword there is Personal. If the feelings are personal they should not hinge on other's approval and other's disapproval should also have no significance.

This is common in people that have low self-esteem or tend to be narcissistic.
Its very difficult in today's world to actually be comfortanle in your own skin.
But, it can be done.

The part in bold italics is the true elephant in the room on Mingle

If all the people who ~aren't~ looking for a partner (date, long twerem, mnarriage..whichever) would get off the dating sites.....

This is narcissistic in nature.
Its like saying that everyone needs to do as I say.
Its trying to make a public collection of people behave as you determine.
If it were a rule of Mingle 2, It would not exist.
But, since it is common on all dating sites, its just the nature of the beast.

If you don't believe in the same God as I do, you're wrong.
Same thing.
If all people on the sites I frequent would just stop believing in their God, it would be much easier for me to participate in discussions.
See what I mean?

The reality is, there are all types of people on the internet and all types of reasons for some of those people to be on dating sites.
You can deny the reality and substitute it with a delusion but it doesn't change the actual reality.
To understand this, gives one contentment.
You concentrate on the ones that fit and dismiss all the rest.

Actually, no - on both counts, Tom.

In the first matter, it is proven psychologically that not validating other people's emotions leads to confrontation. If the person values your opinion, and you keep dismissing their feelings, then that person is going to lash out at you. So if you value your relationship with them - no matter what form it takes - then it lies within your best interests to not be callous or dismissive with that person.

In the second matter, Mingle markets itself as a DATING SITE, not a social site. Therefore, it does not matter what the people here think regarding the label. By coming here just to socialize, and having their numbers dominate the forums, they are being disrespectful to both the site and the members who come here on the premise of it being a dating site. That's not narcissism at all. If anything, it's the socializers who try to justify their view of the site who are being narcissistic.

actionlynx's photo
Mon 12/10/18 08:53 AM

I think the friend zone is a confused type of zone where one person does not know what he/she really wants. Females mostly

Yup, I threw that idea into the discussion several posts ago. Unfortunately, the discussion went in another direction entirely. I was hoping maybe a few women would share their thoughts/experiences regarding that. But no luck.

actionlynx's photo
Mon 12/10/18 08:47 AM

Making the first move on a man doesn't work. They think it's all about sex.

I can see where you're coming from. Not all men are like that.

Many are, though.

Personally, I don't initiate contact for that reason. Even during the only one-night stand I ever had, I simply was trying to make the woman feel comfortable. She appeared shy and lonely - out of place in the bar where we were. So I just wanted to make her feel welcome. As it happened, she was only there looking to pick up a guy for sex. It caught me off-guard because I'd never had a woman do that before. So I went along with it.

But the second time a woman tried to pick me up for sex, it just didn't feel right to me. She was very attractive. She was about 20 years older than me, but didn't look it. In the end, it was the age difference and her level of alcohol consumption that made me hesitate.

In both cases though, the woman was very explicit that she wanted sex.

If the woman isn't explicit like that, I'm not even thinking about sex. I'm just trying to talk and get to know her.

And yes, I do believe I had one instance where a woman tried to pick me up for sex but wasn't explicit about it. While I tried chatting with her, she must have lost interest.

Her subtleties and innuendos went right over my head. Even if she had come right out and said it, I wouldn't have been interested. I had a long day. My mind was elsewhere. I simply wouldn't have enjoyed it, no matter how good she might have been.

Point is, I'm using my own experiences to demonstrate the fact that not all men are like that.

Maybe I'm just an exception to the rule, but I've known a fair number of men who are the same as I am.

actionlynx's photo
Mon 12/10/18 08:30 AM

Generally you're not going to find one that has all of those. The closest you will find will likely be either a college radio station or a community station. But those are specific FCC licenses, and they are mandated to provide alternative programming. That means classic rock and popular country music isn't allowed under the broadcast license. They might mix a few in here and there, but the vast majority will be alternative music, news, or talk shows. Unfortunately, community stations are dying out because of lack of funding -- they aren't allowed to do commercials or paid programming, only sponsorships and public service announcements. Thus surviving community stations are turning to commercial licenses to raise funding through paid programming.

I think you'll probably have to settle for 3 different stations.

For the record, I know some of this because I was a Radio DJ for 2 years with my own show while also doing the noon news.

Ok, then I understand. It's different from Norway, then. Here almost all radio stations have at least hourly news. Many combine talk shows with some music in between, some stations plays mostly music of particular genre. Mostly financed by commercials and a few is funded by the government (but those is quite political correct and a bit too left for my taste ;)

Thank you for a clarifying answer. Does your shows exists on the net today?

No, my show was on-air back in 1991 and 1992. Much of the internet was still text-based back then. It wasn't until 1993 - 1995 that the internet explosion began in the US.

Back then, my own show was classical music (the station had been looking for someone to do such a show), but every now and then I will fill in for another DJ whose show had a contemporary format.

For instance, as a fill-in, I played Crash Test Dummies (from Canada) a few years before they broke out in the US. I also played Nirvana only months before they broke it big with their first album.

I also was part of the team covering John Kerry's campaign speech during the 1992 Democratic Primaries.

My roommate tried to interview Edie Brickell in the studio after a concert, but she was so wasted on drugs and booze that she wasn't even coherent enough to answer questions.

Unfortunately, if any of this still exists, it would only be on tape, not the internet. I'm pretty sure the studio never bought the equipment to convert the tapes to digital format.

actionlynx's photo
Mon 12/10/18 08:19 AM

actionlynx's photo
Mon 12/10/18 08:18 AM
Winning with popcorn.

Apologies to Butribu - D_u_b and I like to tease each other. That's all. Just having some fun.

actionlynx's photo
Mon 12/10/18 08:14 AM

Crystal, that picture you showed of a 3 Musketeers bar was a Marathon bar. It looked like that to me. I think they stopped making it a long time ago.

Googled it, and indeed!
So first it was 3 Musketeer, then it became either Curly Wurly or Marathon, depending on country I guess, and in Canada it was called different yet again: WigWag.

What you now call 3 musketeer looks like a Milky Way. I see your Milky Way has toffee, ours doesn't.
Confusing they use the same names for slightly different things in different countries?

Marathon would indeed be the same. It was produced by Mars, the makers of 3 Musketiers in France, Germany, and the Netherlands.

Curly Wurly looks almost exactly like what was shown on your package, but it is produced by Cadbury. However, Cadbury imports them from the UK to the US. Cadbury introduced it after Mars ceased producing their version.

actionlynx's photo
Sun 12/09/18 07:09 PM
Don't forget: Women aren't the only ones who like to feel special.

Think of how a woman feels when approached by any given guy. A man likely feels the same way when approached by any given woman.

There are lots of ways to make someone feel special. But there is only one chance to make a good first impression.

Some men like strong, independent women. Making the first move makes a strong first impression in that regard.

actionlynx's photo
Sun 12/09/18 06:57 PM
Finally! Something to distract Dub.

I'll just sit back and win.

actionlynx's photo
Sun 12/09/18 01:00 PM

actionlynx's photo
Sun 12/09/18 10:39 AM
966 waving

If I keep this up, I'm gonna earn the nickname Flounder. laugh

actionlynx's photo
Sun 12/09/18 10:33 AM
Generally you're not going to find one that has all of those. The closest you will find will likely be either a college radio station or a community station. But those are specific FCC licenses, and they are mandated to provide alternative programming. That means classic rock and popular country music isn't allowed under the broadcast license. They might mix a few in here and there, but the vast majority will be alternative music, news, or talk shows. Unfortunately, community stations are dying out because of lack of funding -- they aren't allowed to do commercials or paid programming, only sponsorships and public service announcements. Thus surviving community stations are turning to commercial licenses to raise funding through paid programming.

I think you'll probably have to settle for 3 different stations.

For the record, I know some of this because I was a Radio DJ for 2 years with my own show while also doing the noon news.

actionlynx's photo
Sun 12/09/18 09:35 AM
Survivor

actionlynx's photo
Sun 12/09/18 09:35 AM
Pole

actionlynx's photo
Sun 12/09/18 09:31 AM

actionlynx's photo
Sun 12/09/18 09:24 AM
You can try searching the internet for stations that broadcast in the areas you're thinking.

Many stations now do simultaneous webcasts, so you can listen via internet. That would give you a better idea of which stations you like.

actionlynx's photo
Sun 12/09/18 09:20 AM
DA,

Stop eating my socks!

actionlynx's photo
Sun 12/09/18 09:18 AM
She's found her spirit of adventure

1 2 9 10 11 13 15 16 17 24 25