Community > Posts By > artlo

no photo
Fri 09/23/11 02:44 PM
Edited by artlo on Fri 09/23/11 03:12 PM
It makes perfect sense to vote against a monolithic party that is hell-bent on destroying democracy in America. Personally, I would vote for Bernie Sanders or any one of a number of left-wing people if they could be convinced to run. In lieu of that, I'll vote for anybody but a right-winger. Obama will be a last-resort choice. He is governing as a Republican-light. Still, better than anybody with an R after his name.
I don't want the rest of that bunch anywhere close to Government. They don't work for the country. By their own signatures, they work for Grover Norquist.

Fortunately, the 66% are waking up and paying attention. 2010 ain't going to happen again anytime soon. 2012 won't just be about the Presidency. The House will be up for election, too. We'll have to see how effective Republican gerrymandering and voter suppression actions will be.

people that just blindly follow one party or the other are just being ignorant, IMO.

A gift for irony.

no photo
Fri 09/23/11 02:14 PM
thats the attitude that is tearing this country apart, no wonder why the democrats have such a bad rep, stupid statements like that...

The country has no choice but to be divided at this time. You don't really expect that the country would unite under the extremist right-wing 33 percenter flag, do you?

That flag represents the same fringe extremist faction that has always been with us. The John Birchers, the Moral Majority, now the Teabaggers. All the same. All the fringies that have never achieved this kind of influence for any length of time. Dream on.

no photo
Fri 09/23/11 11:51 AM
Ah, I see that Wikipedia has been edited since I last read it.

Of course, the CRA was in effect from 1977. It went through numerous changes in the 1990s. Shumer, Dodd and Clinton worked with the Republicans to pass the Republican bill while preserving protections in the CRA, which was promoted on steroids by the Bush Administration. It's not the only crime commited by Clinton, most notably the Telecommunications Act and NFTA, other Republican initiatives.

When I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I admit it. However, nothing you note changes the fact that Gramm-Leach-Bliley was a Republican bill.

That was the post I thought I made. I no doubt failed to push the "edit button."

Keep on laughing.

no photo
Fri 09/23/11 11:34 AM
Edited by artlo on Fri 09/23/11 11:39 AM
What I say, INVICTUSV, is that nothing you note changes the fact that Senators Gramm, Leach and Bliley, all Republis, got their bill passed in the last days of the Clinton Administration in return for support for the Community Reinvestment Act, which the Democrats wanted passed, and which would have no chance with the incoming administration. The Banking industry had been seeking the repeal of Glass-Stiegel since the 80's. Gramm, as the bought-and-paid-for Senator, finally got his deal

The fact that there are Democrats who will occasionally collude with Republis is nothing new with the Democratic party. Max Bachus, Mary Landrieu et al.

The bill was a Republi bill, plain and simple. Perhaps, the disconnect lies in the fact that Republicans are used to, and more comfortable with an obedient, compliant and lock-step party where independence is considered treason. Democrats don't have that kind of structure.

You have to know the 5 "D"s of a democrats rebuttal when faced with facts. Dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge.

Wait a minute. This is not the response I thought I had posted. Next post.

no photo
Fri 09/23/11 11:26 AM
I blame people who vote this way for everything wrong in America.

Blame who you want. I blame the monochromatic Faux News- right wing true believers who have pushed the ruling class so far to the right that the is barely a vestige of democracy left. A vote for any Republican is a vote for that whole 33 % crowd.

Romney is going to be your guy. Good idea to talk him up in advance of 2012.

no photo
Fri 09/23/11 10:24 AM
Edited by artlo on Fri 09/23/11 10:39 AM
I haven't a clue about this. I would like to know more. Where do you get figures like this? Where do you find out what the norm is?

Never mind. I clicked on the link. If you read up on the New Madrid earthquake fault zone, you can see that the area has a history, with major earthquake disasters and tremendous loss of homes. Also, it covers a huge area. ( map at http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/is-the-new-madrid-fault-earthquake-zone-coming-to-life/comment-page-1 ) Still, 7 million victims needing food for 10 days seems like an awful lot.

no photo
Fri 09/23/11 10:20 AM
I just cant get the image of two hott female soldiers out there in the desert in the shower together lathering eachother up........

Apparently, Rick Santorum has the same problem with gay men. From last night's GOP debate:
There were so many problems with former Sen. Rick Santorum's bumbling response to a question on the military's newly erstwhile "don't ask, don't tell" policy, so many angles from which to start an attack on the spectacle, that it's impossible to pick a place to begin. Express dismay over Republican audiences' bizarre hootin' and hollerin' of late? Been there, done that. Note how the GOP candidates insist on doubling down on a position increasingly out of step with broader public opinion? Check.

Anyway, here's what happened, according to a transcript:

QUESTION via YouTube from Stephen Hill, a soldier who's currently serving in Iraq: In 2010, when I was deployed to Iraq, I had to lie about who I was, because I'm a gay soldier and I didn't want to lose my job.

My question is, under one of your presidencies, do you intend to circumvent the progress that's been made for gay and lesbian soldiers in the military?

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(BOOING)

SANTORUM: Yeah, I — I would say any type of sexual activity has absolutely no place in the military. And the fact that they're making a point to include it as a provision within the military that we are going to recognize a group of people and give them a special privilege to -- to -- and removing "don't ask/don’t tell" I think tries to inject social policy into the military. And the military's job is to do one thing, and that is to defend our country.

We need to give the military, which is all-volunteer, the ability to do so in a way that is most efficient at protecting our men and women in uniform.

(APPLAUSE)

And I believe this undermines that ability.

(APPLAUSE)

MEGYN KELLY of Fox News: So what -- what -- what would you do with soldiers like Stephen Hill? I mean, he's — now he's out. He's — you know, you saw his face on camera. When he first submitted this video to us, it was without his face on camera. Now he's out. So what would you do as president?

SANTORUM: I think it's -- it's -- it's -- look, what we're doing is playing social experimentation with -- with our military right now. And that's tragic.

I would -- I would just say that, going forward, we would -- we would reinstitute that policy, if Rick Santorum was president, period.

That policy would be reinstituted. And as far as people who are in -- in -- I would not throw them out, because that would be unfair to them because of the policy of this administration, but we would move forward in -- in conformity with what was happening in the past, which was, sex is not an issue. It is -- it should not be an issue. Leave it alone, keep it -- keep it to yourself, whether you’re a heterosexual or a homosexual.

That a Republican endorsed "don't ask, don't tell" isn't surprising. But there was something especially crass about Santorum's reply. His remark that "any type of sexual activity has absolutely no place in the military" completely misses the point and continues his bizarre refocusing of the gay-rights debate on sex.

And he doesn't know how profoundly insulting it is to gays and lesbians to call requiring the military to afford them basic respect a "social experiment." (Besides, which is the more dubious social experiment: sexually cleansing our armed forces, or having them reflect society's inexorable march toward fully accepting gay men and women?)

Worst, watching Santorum and other Republicans stand stoically while a handful of debate-goers shout their disgust with a homosexual soldier leaves the impression that the GOP candidates have more outwardly embraced anti-gay prejudice to win over conservative voters. This kind of behavior makes it difficult to take social conservatives at their word when they insist that their opposition to, say, same-sex marriage is rooted respect for a longstanding institution instead of prejudice.

As for Santorum, it looks as though his Google problem isn't going anywhere soon.

http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionla/2011/09/gop-debate-rick-santorum-dont-ask-dont-tell.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OpinionLa+%28L.A.+Times+-+Opinion+Blog%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

He apparently believes that the repeal of DADT gives soldiers the right to have torrid sex affairs while on duty.

no photo
Fri 09/23/11 10:06 AM
Afraid I'm pretty biased here. As I've said many times, I will vote for the worst, bottom-of-the-barrel Democrat before I vote for anybody with an R after his name for any office. If you vote for any Republi, you vote for the whole party.

no photo
Fri 09/23/11 09:01 AM
What do you have to say about that, ARTLO?

What I say, INVICTUSV, is that nothing you note changes the fact that Senators Gramm, Leach and Bliley, all Republis, got their bill passed in the last days of the Clinton Administration in return for support for the Community Reinvestment Act, which the Democrats wanted passed, and which would have no chance with the incoming administration. The Banking industry had been seeking the repeal of Glass-Stiegel since the 80's. Gramm, as the bought-and-paid-for Senator, finally got his deal

The fact that there are Democrats who will occasionally collude with Republis is nothing new with the Democratic party. Max Bachus, Mary Landrieu et al.

The bill was a Republi bill, plain and simple. Perhaps, the disconnect lies in the fact that Republicans are used to, and more comfortable with an obedient, compliant and lock-step party where independence is considered treason. Democrats don't have that kind of structure.

no photo
Fri 09/23/11 08:22 AM
he point was that percentages and math can be scoped to look the way the person doing the math wants it to look and it can be subjective the variable used to process the math......the person doing the math or testing can make it look the way they want....just like polls math

That's quite true, but none of this changes the fact that Republis comprise 55% of the House and 63% of the corrupt members cited.

no photo
Fri 09/23/11 08:07 AM
Some pretty fuzzy math going on here. one of it changes the fact that Republis comprise 55% of the House and 63% of the corrupt members cited.

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 07:43 PM
Wrong, it was 1999 and Clinton signed the "Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act
Senators Gramm, Leach and Bliley, all Republis, got their bill passed in the last days of the Clinton Administration in return for support for the Community Reinvestment Act, which the Democrats wanted passed, and which would have no chance with the incoming administration. The Banking industry had been seeking the repeal of Glass-Stiegel since the 80's. Gramm, as the bought-and-paid-for Senator, finally got his deal done. Why he didn't just wait until the fully Republican-controlled Government that oversaw the housing bubble is a mystery to me.

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 07:24 PM
the coastal towns are tourist traps, not very racist.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, then. Maybe those racist remarks in Paul's newsletter can't be so easily explained away.

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 07:20 PM
Everyone who recanted their testimony was a career criminal or had a lengthy rap sheet with an ax to grind with the Police Departent and the DA's Office,

They don't sound like very reliable witnesses to me. Odd that they were reliable enough for a death penalty conviction.

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 07:11 PM
242/434=56%. 12/19=63%

the corrupt members listed are cited at http://www.citizensforethics.org/page/-/PDFs/Reports/Most%2520Corrupt%2520Reports/CREW-Most-Corrupt-Report-2011.pdf?nocdn=1

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 07:04 PM
They had hard evidence on the guy

It's funny how these little enhancements find their way into these arguments. What "hard evidence" would that be?

I don't know whether the guy was innocent or not, and neither do you. Witnesses who were there say he is (7 out of the nine, I believe). I guess 22% likelihood of guilt is good enough for the people who cheer over executions.

why don't stand face to face with the family of the man he murdered

Why don't stand face to face with the Davis family to explain how their Government doesn't really care whether he was actually guilty.

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 06:49 PM
Republis comprise 55% of the House and 63% of the corrupt members cited.

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 06:44 PM
what racist towns are those?

We talked about this a long time ago. Beaumont and Vidor came upin those talks.

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 02:18 PM
rant laugh

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 02:09 PM
Could it be that most politicians are corrupt including the messiah?

I don't think so. Sadly, the President appears to be from the "can't we all get along" crowd. A good case study for those who want to "sit down together and work things out".

1 2 7 8 9 11 13 14 15 24 25