Community > Posts By > mykesorrel

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 07:19 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Fri 07/22/11 07:20 PM

:smile:

nice way to egg the pudding,,,no mention earlier of it being billed as 'christian' only

a prayer day by itself does not violate the constitution

if it is 'billed' specifically to one religion, ,that is quite different...

No, the Christian thing was for the governor which you disregarded, but okay. I already stated what i had to about the national day of prayer, whether you want to use the word prayer ambiguously, is up to you, but you and i know, that is directed towards the Christian God. And in any case, like i stated, the government is "involved" with religion. Prayer = religion! Also, if you notice with the case for Lemon v. Kurtzman, they provide clear issues that are synonymous with what 'm talking about:

The government's action *must have a secular legislative purpose*;
The government's action must not have the primary effect of either *advancing* or inhibiting religion;
The government's action must not result in an "excessive government entanglement" with religion.

yes, one ruling in one case,, this issue is one that is repeatedly interpreted throughout our history

if there is nothing being legislated, this is also a moot point

is the government legislating something that is not secular?
(that is up to interpretation of whether prayer and God specifically belong to a 'religion')

is the government advancing or inhibiting a religion

....THIS IS THE ONLY POTENTIAL ISSUE WHERE THE EVENT IS CONCERNED,, where 'prayer day' is concerned, there is no specific religion involved

is the government EXCESSIVELY (Very vague term) entangled with RELIGION? ( again, this is up to interpretation of whether GOD is synonymous with any particular religion)

.the best legal minds, those who have spend years in ivy league schools and invested thousands to become lawyers and judges, cant even AGREE how specifically this particular 'issue' can or should be interpreted

I doubt we will come to a consensus as laymen on a public internet forum,,,:smile:

Prayer = religion.

Entangled dictionary:

to make tangled; ensnarl; intertwine.
to involve in or as in a tangle; ensnare; enmesh: to be entangled by intrigue.

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/speeches/1983/12783h.htm

This common expression of reverence heals and brings us together as a Nation and we pray it may one day bring renewed respect for God to all the peoples of the world.

Again the word God being used in singular.

"In Witness Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand this 27th day of Jan., in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty-three, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and seventh."

Hm, a lot of Muslims use Lord, i hear them say that every day, but you're right, you will have your own interpretation, i guess.

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 07:18 PM
I was brought up a Christian, Pentecostal to be exact. Growing up, i read the Bible and was a tad skeptical, because things like Noah ark, 7 day creation, etc didn't make rational sense to me. Around the age of 15, i had an experience i could not explain, i woke up and could not move, my head was turned all the to the left and i felt frozen. It felt like a presence was over me. This to me was a sure sign evil existed in demonic form, etc. I got saved at around 20 and was more so an agnostic Christian, i still had my questions, but i still was VERY convinced there was a God. I went into the Military and had the same experience i had before, i was terrified, and thought the Devil was after me. To make a long story short, when i got out of the Military, i had the same experience, but this time i realized what was the problem, it was the positioning of my neck, while my head was turned a certain way, it cut off my circulation and made me hallucinate, after adjusting myself it went away like seeing a blinding light and everything coming to focus. I was mad, i was pissed, to think all those years i was being possessed and it was a scientific explanation for that, i haven't had that same experiences since sleeping correctly. I was still theistic and resumed my life. in the beginning of last year, i was unemployed for about two months and was extremely bored. I always had a love for science and started to watch vidoes, then i would see religious videos and i inquired more. I read books from Stephen Hawkings among others, then i started to question the very nature of what i believed in, after researching the process of evolution with common ancestors, the nervous system, the evolution of the eye, the Big Bang and how they all actually works i started to become purely agnostic. Not to prolong my upbringing, but more and more studying i decided there was no God. That's is my path. :smile:

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 06:42 PM

nice way to egg the pudding,,,no mention earlier of it being billed as 'christian' only

a prayer day by itself does not violate the constitution

if it is 'billed' specifically to one religion, ,that is quite different...

No, the Christian thing was for the governor which you disregarded, but okay. I already stated what i had to about the national day of prayer, whether you want to use the word prayer ambiguously, is up to you, but you and i know, that is directed towards the Christian God. And in any case, like i stated, the government is "involved" with religion. Prayer = religion! Also, if you notice with the case for Lemon v. Kurtzman, they provide clear issues that are synonymous with what 'm talking about:

The government's action *must have a secular legislative purpose*;
The government's action must not have the primary effect of either *advancing* or inhibiting religion;
The government's action must not result in an "excessive government entanglement" with religion.

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 06:08 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Fri 07/22/11 06:14 PM
Fact: Governor Rick Perry is a Christian. He is holding a prayer event endorsing religion as a governor. The event, which is called The Response and is billed as Christian-only, is scheduled for Aug. 6 at Houston's Reliant Stadium.

Site: http://theresponseusa.com/

Endorsing religion from a governor among thousands. The only monotheistic religion is that of Judaism, Islam and Christianity. He's a Christian, on the website it uses God in a singular form.

http://theresponseusa.com/faq.php

Quote from the site:

"What does The Response believe?
The Response is a non-denominational, apolitical Christian prayer meeting and has adopted the American Family Association statement of faith.

We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ."

Do you need any more evidence or is my atheistic brain not intelligent enough to elaborate more to you why this is wrong? Hopefully this will put a nail in the coffin for your senseless accusation as if i'm pulling information out my ***. Has nothing to do with whining, it's have everything to do what EVERYONE should follow, point,blank,period!

As far as National Day Prayer, not everyone in the country is religious. This is a national day that government is saying "as the United States every citizen can pray on this day and the government abides by this", Do you see a "lets not worship God day"? It's totally irrelevant is the point, you're going to pray whether that day exists or not, the government basically endorsing it shows a favoritism to theists rather than the secularism this country was founded on.

I mean come on, seriously, look at the website reciting Bible passages, pff:

http://nationaldayofprayer.org/about/history/

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 05:57 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Fri 07/22/11 05:58 PM
Whether it be an agnostic, atheist, theists or whatever. How did you come to your conclusion that there's a higher force, there is no higher force, there's God(s0), or there isn't God(s)?

Disclaimer: This don't need to evolve into a debate, more so stories on the path you took to your conclusion.

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 05:50 PM

have ANYTHING at all to do with government aknowledging God, or endorsing a holiday

smooched aw you little theist you, you do realize the basis of this topic was about the Texas Governor Rick Perry endorsing religion (prayer), so i guess prayer is not acknowledging God, maybe i'm to tired and reading into this the wrong way. The even is called "The Response", which is a Christian promoted event, he is a Christian so to believe other is just being naive and try to sway away from the obvious in his agenda because you don't wan to it to seem like it's a religious promotion.

easter bunnies, sure <----- Nobody in this planet believe it's real except children.
christmas gifts, no problem <----- nobody believes in Santa, but children and the few Christian who seriously believe it is the birth of Christ (lack of education on history).

GOD!! ?? how dare you,,,,lol <---- Everybody believes in one except rational atheists and newborns.

That counter was very flawed, i don't even know what to say about that.

none of those court cases with issues ranging from FREEDOM OF SPEECH(gitlow) to using TAXPAYER dollars to reimburse certain (religious) citizens for their childrens transportation (everson)to using TAXPAYER dollars to government funding the creation of a RELIGIOUS district (kiryas)

In the Board of Education of Kiryas Joel Village School District v. Grumet, 512 U.S. 687 (1994), Justice David Souter, writing for the majority, concluded that "government should not prefer one religion to another, or religion to irreligion."[1]"

What part of "government should not prefer one religion to another, or religion to irreligion.", is not sinking in. I tell ya, talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. I got you though..frustrated

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 05:18 PM

Actually...I am really stoned. This is the downside to being an honest guy.

Cause I am flat out PLOWED!

laugh rofl running over there now!

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 05:12 PM

there is also plenty of evidence (research 'sugar pills' or 'placebo') that the mind has great impact on health and happiness, so that what people 'believe' actually CAN and does help them .....

surprised

Yes, meditating can help you, but prayer doesn't not work when directed for someone else. I'm glad you know prayer is a placebo.

It is a nice sentiment though if you are religious to have others pray for you.

It isn't so well received if you are not religious though...lol

Saying "have a nice day" is a great sentiment also, but when people in their hearts believe praying on their knees instead of standing up as a nation to help one another is more productive is what i don't agree with. If theists what to pray, cool, but the government should under no circumstances endorse it.

grumble

If you mean by endorse as have it in any government/public/judicial at all, I agree.

I do not however want to stop them from being able to have churches and what they do at home is of course their business.

Hey, yes i agree. And this is simply all i was saying; the prolong nature of this topic was irrelevant.

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 05:10 PM
Am i the only stoner in here? but don't smoke it?

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 05:07 PM

there is also plenty of evidence (research 'sugar pills' or 'placebo') that the mind has great impact on health and happiness, so that what people 'believe' actually CAN and does help them .....

surprised

Yes, meditating can help you, but prayer doesn't not work when directed for someone else. I'm glad you know prayer is a placebo.

Saying "have a nice day" is a great sentiment also, but when people in their hearts believe praying on their knees instead of standing up as a nation to help one another is more productive is what i don't agree with. If theists what to pray, cool, but the government should under no circumstances endorse it.

grumble

fine, lets petition to call it national meditation day and have it be over with

people can all wish well upon others in whatever fashion they choose,,,, as long as the government doesnt mandate anyone invoke God, endorsing ones choice to do so is nothing unconstitutional

sometimes atheists take the seperation of church and state a bit too far out of context,,,,,

No, how bout their be no prayer or meditation day. Sounds good to me. You have plenty of churches for that.

wow, ur devoted

so you dont even want meditation endorsed? ,, ok, how about get rid of all the holidays

dont ENDORSE the pilgrims, dont ENDORSE the death of soldiers, dont ENDORSE the independence of (some) americans

its all good, so long as we make sure that we erase GOD or religion from any type of government aknowledgeement(by the way, the 1st amendment taken literally applied to CONGRESS, not states), it would all be worth it for the sake of 'equality'...

,,,I dont really care about holidays to be truthful, I will celebrate what I want to celebrate the way I wish to celebrate it,,,,

it just seems people are OVER sensitive to anything which MIGHT be in the least bit religious,,,,and in doing so they cut off their nose to spite their face...

..just my opinion though

I dont celebrate memorial day or columbus day,, because I dont HAVE to

what am I told about homosexual marriage? if you dont like it, dont do it,,,,,,

if applied equally, it would fit in this situation too

however, its a non matter for me really and I understand your position of having it FORCED on ya because it is in some way endorsed because that is how I feel about homosexual marriage

,,,guess this is a stalemate,, get rid of it or dont, at this point I can choose to endorse it personally or not endorse it and thats good enough,,,,

AHHH, wrong. Prayer serves no purpose, meditation would honestly make no sense to endorse, because meditation is more for self. What you fail to realize, what i'm implying is the government doesn't in the amendment separate themselves from gay-marriage, memorial day (which is to honor people who fought in past wars nothing more nothing less), and as i said before prayer accomplishes nothing. Also, It's about respecting what our founding fathers wrote down for all Americans to abide by, people like the man from Texas is only using prayer as a crutch to gain more followers "because it's so Christian to pray and Christians should stick together in America". Point being prayer, meditation, is very universal you don't NEED a day to recognize it, or NEED the government to endorse it, there's absolutely NO REASON, especially since the first amendment condemns it. It's like giving privileged to one group just because they're bias that what they're doing is the right thing. Nobody has any objection to what you do on your private time, your church or community for that matter - it's only when the government gets involved, i seriously don't see why this isn't a fair trade.

Cancer and Aids recognition day actually ACCOMPLISHES something, raises money to prevent and cure it, tell me exactly what does prayer accomplishes that the government needs to endorse it?

the first amendment doesnt condemn GOVERNMENT, it condemns CONGRESS,,,which is ONE branch of government

it condemns from 'passing a law supporting the ESTABLISHMENT of RELIGION nor condemning the FREE EXERCISE'

a state holiday does neither,,,as it is not a law which involves CONGRESS and it doesnt establish any particular RELIGION

,,and since when do holidays need to ACCOMPLISH something? what does christmas and thanksgiving ACCOMPLISH,,,,?

,,,in any case,,, it truly matters not to me, I just think the points taken are not relevant or accurate

I will continue to pray everyday and to NOT celebrate labor day
(or whatever other holiday),,,,,as is thankfully my right,,,,and any other us citizens,,,

"Originally, the First Amendment applied only to laws enacted by the Congress. However, starting with Gitlow v. New York, 268 U.S. 652 (1925), the Supreme Court has held that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment applies the First Amendment to each state, including any local government."

" Subsequently, Everson v. Board of Education (1947) incorporated the Establishment Clause (i.e., made it apply against the states). However, it was not until the middle to late twentieth century that the Supreme Court began to interpret the Establishment and Free Exercise Clauses in such a manner as to restrict the promotion of religion by the states. In the Board of Education of Kiryas Joel Village School District v. Grumet, 512 U.S. 687 (1994), Justice David Souter, writing for the majority, concluded that "government should not prefer one religion to another, or religion to irreligion."[1]"

... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Maybe i'm reading this wrong or been wrong alllll this time.

explode

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 04:45 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Fri 07/22/11 04:47 PM

surprised

grumble

people can all wish well upon others in whatever fashion they choose,,,, as long as the government doesnt mandate anyone invoke God, endorsing ones choice to do so is nothing unconstitutional

sometimes atheists take the seperation of church and state a bit too far out of context,,,,,

No, how bout their be no prayer or meditation day. Sounds good to me. You have plenty of churches for that.

wow, ur devoted

so you dont even want meditation endorsed? ,, ok, how about get rid of all the holidays

dont ENDORSE the pilgrims, dont ENDORSE the death of soldiers, dont ENDORSE the independence of (some) americans

its all good, so long as we make sure that we erase GOD or religion from any type of government aknowledgeement(by the way, the 1st amendment taken literally applied to CONGRESS, not states), it would all be worth it for the sake of 'equality'...

,,,I dont really care about holidays to be truthful, I will celebrate what I want to celebrate the way I wish to celebrate it,,,,

it just seems people are OVER sensitive to anything which MIGHT be in the least bit religious,,,,and in doing so they cut off their nose to spite their face...

..just my opinion though

I dont celebrate memorial day or columbus day,, because I dont HAVE to

what am I told about homosexual marriage? if you dont like it, dont do it,,,,,,

if applied equally, it would fit in this situation too

however, its a non matter for me really and I understand your position of having it FORCED on ya because it is in some way endorsed because that is how I feel about homosexual marriage

,,,guess this is a stalemate,, get rid of it or dont, at this point I can choose to endorse it personally or not endorse it and thats good enough,,,,

AHHH, wrong. Prayer serves no purpose, meditation would honestly make no sense to endorse, because meditation is more for self. What you fail to realize, what i'm implying is the government doesn't in the amendment separate themselves from gay-marriage, memorial day (which is to honor people who fought in past wars nothing more nothing less), and as i said before prayer accomplishes nothing. Also, It's about respecting what our founding fathers wrote down for all Americans to abide by, people like the man from Texas is only using prayer as a crutch to gain more followers "because it's so Christian to pray and Christians should stick together in America". Point being prayer, meditation, is very universal you don't NEED a day to recognize it, or NEED the government to endorse it, there's absolutely NO REASON, especially since the first amendment condemns it. It's like giving privileged to one group just because they're bias that what they're doing is the right thing. Nobody has any objection to what you do on your private time, your church or community for that matter - it's only when the government gets involved, i seriously don't see why this isn't a fair trade.

Cancer and Aids recognition day actually ACCOMPLISHES something, raises money to prevent and cure it, tell me exactly what does prayer accomplishes that the government needs to endorse it?

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 03:47 PM

surprised

grumble

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 02:01 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Fri 07/22/11 02:01 PM

surprised

grumble

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 12:14 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Fri 07/22/11 12:37 PM

surprised

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 09:54 AM

jrbogie post :

you're not saying that your research of the religions is limited to what you read in wiki are you? are you really saying that? really?

The most precision reaction till now ..lol

Thank you jrbogie ... rofl

laugh

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 09:53 AM

I've got a question to any athiests(naturalists) who are interested. (And yes, not all athiests are naturalists). I should note first of all that I am genuinely curious here. So:

If there is no god or gods and only what can be proved scientifically is true then where does meaning and purpose for human life come from? Sure, we can invent meaning for ourselves but isn't that basically self delusion? The very same criticism leveled at theists? The only purpose I can see from a naturalists worldview is that we must make a baby and raise it is able to make babies itself... and then we die. Is that really all our lives mean? Or is there more?

Discuss

For me this is a moot question.

To begin with, in what way would the existence of a God make life meaningful?

Let's look at this in detail. As far as I can see there are only a few reasons, all of which seem rather weak.

Everlasting Life
First possible reason is the concept of "eternal life".

If there exists a God then life is eternal (at least for those that this God approves of)

So should that make life more "meaningful"?

Well, I say no.

If LIFE is not already meaningful to you in a state where you will eventually die, then why should it suddenly become "meaningful" to you if you thought you were going to live for all of eternity?

In other words. Either LIFE is meaningful or it isn't. How long it lasts should have absolutely no bearing on that.

So a concept of everlasting life cannot GIVE life meaning. All it could possibly do is extend the length of life which must already be meaningful.

So everlasting life cannot GIVE life meaning.

Approval

Some people feel that their life is 'meaningless' unless someone eternal to them approves of them. So people who think like this could potentially see a God as the ultimate source of "approval".

However, that wouldn't truly be necessary to give life meaning. There are many other mortal humans around who can serve to give someone "approval"

So if "approval" equates to "meaning" then meaning can indeed be found in a godless universe. Just recognizing the approval of other mortal humans should be sufficient.

Eternal Gift of Paradise

Actually if an eternal gift of paradise is what gives LIFE meaning, then doesn't that actually say that LIFE itself doesn't have much meaning as it is?

Moreover, that would also suggest that the only "meaningful" life is a life of paradise. I'm not sure if that has merit. A life of total paradise where nothing ever goes wrong could potentially be extremely boring to the point where it actually becomes meaningless.

So I'm not convinced that the ideal of an eternal paradise can even truly serve as a basis for 'meaning' in life.

LOVE?

Does love give life meaning? If it does, then life can certainly have meaning without the need for any God because humans are capable of experiencing and sharing love on their own.

Eternal Damnation?

Would the idea that to fail to appease a God's desires lead to eternal damnation give life "meaning"?

This idea certainly doesn't do anything for me, perhaps it works for someone else?

~~~~~

I think a person would truly be hard-pressed to explain why the notion of a God should somehow give meaning to a life that would otherwise supposedly have no meaning.

Can anyone explain their views on that one?

Exactly. People who believe in God(s) are believing in an assumption one exists, yet they still carry on with their lives with this assumption. If one believe in good moral only because it pleases their God, then they are not doing it just because they feel it is helping fellow man. I don't believe in any higher power, because then that would also would beg to many questions of the origin of that high power, what made the high power and what create that higher power? And so fourth. Most people who was once indoctrinated to a certainty of believing their is a God and now became a non-believer might still have to program notion of prayer, only because it is so embedded in you it's almost synonymous when a smoker quits, but might have something in his/her mouth as a cigarette - sometimes you cannot discard what you use to adhere to immediately it takes time.

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 08:15 AM
Edited by mykesorrel on Fri 07/22/11 08:17 AM

MsHarmony wrote:

it is clear you are deciding for now that there is nothing to listen to

many others havent made that decision and do hear, even if not from that 'burning bush'

No MsHarmony I'm not deciding anything. These decisions had already been made by the authors who wrote the biblical fables. It's now "carved in scriptures"

In the OP, Mykesorrel specifically addressed precisely this notion. These the kinds of outrageous "miracles" that are described in the Bible no longer occur today.

The Biblical fables claim that God speaks to people in audible language from clouds, etc.

To twist that around to now claim that God "speaks" to people via intuition, or any other subtle non-miraculous way, is total BS.

I speak to the obvious issue of the fallacy of ancient fables.

You, on the other hand, try to salvage those fables by making them into something that they never were in the first place.

Abra he still does these things its not the circus act that is displayed on tv.

thats not the way Yahweh is.. I have spoken before about seeing clouds roll awaay on fire and a brightness so bright i had to shield my eyes but i heard him. I have said before and I will say again i was the only one who saw but it blindedd the whole house to where 5 other people could not see anything it waas so bright in the house. I have spoken about during the flood of 93 how i accidently pulled a live current circuit apart.. hand to hand. Mercy hospital drs said the only explanation they had i was alive was a miracle i was kept over night for tests.. they found nothing wrong but had prepared my family for the worse they believed i had to of been cooked on the inside. Ameren Corp. out of st louis talked to me after wards and wanted to know if i wanted to take a less dangerous job.. most do after being electricuted like i was.. then they informed me i was at that time in thier 100+ year history as a power company i was the only one to ever live then alone walk away unscaded. what was it? I know because i thought i was going to die and my life did flash before my eyes sadly what i should of did 1st i did last and that was say in my head " Yahshua help me" and imeidetly an insulator failed and went to ground cutting me loose. it was rated at 14,000 volts yet it failed when i just said the only thingt i could do in my head.

you know the thing about believing and i mean really believing and staying the cource nomatter what. is when disaster hits lets say a city or state without those ingrained beliefs you will have anarcy because it becomes a dog eat dog world where everyone is for themselves. but true believers know the path even if it means harm to themselves.. they will rise up and use thier heads in a fashion i do not believe most non believers would.. because all they worry about is theirselves. Thats why he exists. to show us how to treat our brother and if many people join in this effort then tradgedy can be very inspiring to all those who see this at work.. Yahshua said do not believe me.. believe the works that you see through me and that will tell you who Yahweh is.. Blessings..Miles

:: pen drops::noway

No MsHarmony I'm not deciding anything. These decisions had already been made when the Bible was written. It's now "carved in scriptures"

In the OP, Mykesorrel specifically addressed precisely this notion. That the kinds of outrageous "miracles" that are described in the Bible no longer occur today.

The Biblical fables claim that God speaks to people in audible language from clouds, etc.

To twist that around to now claim that God now "speaks" to people via intuition or any other subtle non-miraculous way is total BS.

I speak to the obviously issue of the fallacy of ancient fables.

You, on the other hand, try to salvage those fables by making them into something that they never were in the first place.

^This, i need not say more, but typical theist reponse:

lol,, ok

In any case, we can conclude two things. Either God does not exist as many want to believe or he does and just don't give a flying ef about people and selects a few people who follow blindly. If this is how God works, he's an idiot.:banana:

WE conclude many more than two things

the bible contains 66 books

if WE can read all that information and come to only TWO possible conclusions , WE might be the idiots,,,laugh

Lol, sometimes you have to be an "idiot" to really considering that everything Bible logical, so i do agree with you in a sense.

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 07/22/11 08:14 AM

As long as there is strict separation of church and state it's fine.

She's considering the contrary. Basically what she's saying is what theists spew time and time again "God is trust" is on our money, prayer is in every way synonymous with government breaking the first amendment. Prayer in every way is redundant because it doesn't help anyone out to begin with, people helping each other out works more than being on your knees praying to something that you believe already have a plan for you (kind of defeats the point of fate).

mykesorrel's photo
Thu 07/21/11 08:36 PM

MsHarmony wrote:

it is clear you are deciding for now that there is nothing to listen to

many others havent made that decision and do hear, even if not from that 'burning bush'

No MsHarmony I'm not deciding anything. These decisions had already been made by the authors who wrote the biblical fables. It's now "carved in scriptures"

In the OP, Mykesorrel specifically addressed precisely this notion. These the kinds of outrageous "miracles" that are described in the Bible no longer occur today.

To twist that around to now claim that God "speaks" to people via intuition, or any other subtle non-miraculous way, is total BS.

I speak to the obvious issue of the fallacy of ancient fables.

Abra he still does these things its not the circus act that is displayed on tv.

thats not the way Yahweh is.. I have spoken before about seeing clouds roll awaay on fire and a brightness so bright i had to shield my eyes but i heard him. I have said before and I will say again i was the only one who saw but it blindedd the whole house to where 5 other people could not see anything it waas so bright in the house. I have spoken about during the flood of 93 how i accidently pulled a live current circuit apart.. hand to hand. Mercy hospital drs said the only explanation they had i was alive was a miracle i was kept over night for tests.. they found nothing wrong but had prepared my family for the worse they believed i had to of been cooked on the inside. Ameren Corp. out of st louis talked to me after wards and wanted to know if i wanted to take a less dangerous job.. most do after being electricuted like i was.. then they informed me i was at that time in thier 100+ year history as a power company i was the only one to ever live then alone walk away unscaded. what was it? I know because i thought i was going to die and my life did flash before my eyes sadly what i should of did 1st i did last and that was say in my head " Yahshua help me" and imeidetly an insulator failed and went to ground cutting me loose. it was rated at 14,000 volts yet it failed when i just said the only thingt i could do in my head.

you know the thing about believing and i mean really believing and staying the cource nomatter what. is when disaster hits lets say a city or state without those ingrained beliefs you will have anarcy because it becomes a dog eat dog world where everyone is for themselves. but true believers know the path even if it means harm to themselves.. they will rise up and use thier heads in a fashion i do not believe most non believers would.. because all they worry about is theirselves. Thats why he exists. to show us how to treat our brother and if many people join in this effort then tradgedy can be very inspiring to all those who see this at work.. Yahshua said do not believe me.. believe the works that you see through me and that will tell you who Yahweh is.. Blessings..Miles

:: pen drops::noway

No MsHarmony I'm not deciding anything. These decisions had already been made when the Bible was written. It's now "carved in scriptures"

In the OP, Mykesorrel specifically addressed precisely this notion. That the kinds of outrageous "miracles" that are described in the Bible no longer occur today.

To twist that around to now claim that God now "speaks" to people via intuition or any other subtle non-miraculous way is total BS.

I speak to the obviously issue of the fallacy of ancient fables.

^This, i need not say more, but typical theist reponse:

lol,, ok

In any case, we can conclude two things. Either God does not exist as many want to believe or he does and just don't give a flying ef about people and selects a few people who follow blindly. If this is how God works, he's an idiot.:banana:

mykesorrel's photo
Thu 07/21/11 08:30 PM
Wait, so you think that it is complete alright for the government to condone prayer, so you would find it alright if the government condone worship the prophet Mohammed day? Making sure i get this right, before i jump out my window.