Community > Posts By > mykesorrel

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 03/23/12 08:41 AM

But you need not worry of the source.

That's good advice. I think people spend too much time wondering and pondering and searching for the meaning and/or origin of life, and not enough time living it.

As the wise guys (Italian) would say:

"Forget about it!"

That's the problem and what exactly Degrasse Neil Tyson is talking about, humans shouldn't just "live life", that's what science is all about understanding the universe. Once we stop asking questions, then we will accept whatever dogma spewing drivel saying it's the truth. I doubt anyway really stops their day to day very important activities to ponder the meaning of life, but it IS the most IMPORTANT question ever asked "why are we here".

mykesorrel's photo
Tue 03/20/12 10:36 AM

You have to love science, but i agree with the poster before me - you cannot compare creationism to evolution. Abiogensis would be a better suited argument. (if that abiogensis was not said already, not reading all the thread).

never heard of it... whats that?

Abiogenesis is a hypothesis/theory of what occurred in the early years of the earth that could have sparked life, there are many different ways scientist believe this occurred. I quickly read a lot of people say that "none of this could have happened by chance", or better yet that's what they believe, but i equally don't accept that a few thousand years ago a deity created the first man out of dirt - just my take on this whole thread.

chance is the wrong word... i feel life can start on any planet, if the conditions are right, meaning temperature, water, and some kind of atmosphere...

Yes, probably even much more than that. I find it ironic about creationism, is the creator doesn't need to be created.

lol... he's just always been here... well, what/where was he before he created the heavens and the earth? did he just sit around in a big vat of nothingness?

If God(s) can always exist then why cannot nature is my problem, it's like people say one thing can have a attribute, but the other cannot. Yes, we know that something occurred that has the universe expanding, but other than that out knowledge breaks down at the "singularity", so to just say "God(s) did it", is just not cool.

Nature is but an attribute of God.

Life is our chance to enjoy it.

Heaven is our chance to relax from that enjoyment.

According to....?

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 03/19/12 04:24 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Mon 03/19/12 04:25 PM

You have to love science, but i agree with the poster before me - you cannot compare creationism to evolution. Abiogensis would be a better suited argument. (if that abiogensis was not said already, not reading all the thread).

Abiogenesis is a hypothesis/theory of what occurred in the early years of the earth that could have sparked life, there are many different ways scientist believe this occurred. I quickly read a lot of people say that "none of this could have happened by chance", or better yet that's what they believe, but i equally don't accept that a few thousand years ago a deity created the first man out of dirt - just my take on this whole thread.

chance is the wrong word... i feel life can start on any planet, if the conditions are right, meaning temperature, water, and some kind of atmosphere...

Yes, probably even much more than that. I find it ironic about creationism, is the creator doesn't need to be created.

lol... he's just always been here... well, what/where was he before he created the heavens and the earth? did he just sit around in a big vat of nothingness?
He lives in the Ethereal Plane as a gaseous form.He does upto 84 hitpoints of damage with his lightning bolt,him and Zeus battle it out on Mt.Olympus during the Gods Lightning Bolt challenge,it's a simple game the first one to hit a spectator at a golf game wins.Jesus was there last week signing autographs along with Mary Mag in a bikini.

Lol, if this creator was a coder, man this code sucks..

$God = "";

$evidence = "Scientific method showing existence";

if($God == $evidence):
$God = "rational evidence for God";
else:
$God = "a figment in our imagination";
endif;

echo $God;

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 03/19/12 04:18 PM

If God(s) can always exist then why cannot nature is my problem, it's like people say one thing can have a attribute, but the other cannot. Yes, we know that something occurred that has the universe expanding, but other than that out knowledge breaks down at the "singularity", so to just say "God(s) did it", is just not cool.

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 03/19/12 03:55 PM

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 03/19/12 03:45 PM

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 03/19/12 03:36 PM

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 10/10/11 06:28 AM

I dont need to convince you that God exists, only that I believe, and that God was what inspired me.

oh, i understand quite well that you don't think i need to be convinced that god exists. it's me who says i must first be convinced that god exists before i can be convinced that devine inpiration exists.

You are free to think I am wrong about God, and you are free to think I am lying regarding where I get my inspiration, but you must recognise that it is at least possible that I was inspired by the God that I believe in. It has nothing to do with anyone else.

if i'm free to think you may be wrong about god then it must follow that I AM free to think you may be wrong about what inspired you to paint? in niether case have i said you were wrong. i simply told you that if I AM TO BE CONVINCED that you were inpired by god then by MY REASONING you need fist convince me that god exists. short of that convincing, MY LOGIC tells me that you were inpired by something other than god which i can agree does exist such as your belief in god which i've no reason to doubt. what you believe in has nothing to do with anyone else just as the logic i use in my reasoning process has nothing to do with anyone else. you very well might convince one of your fellow church members that you were inpired by god. you may be able to convince every person of faith on the planet that you were inpired by god but that would not mean that I AM CONVINCED that you were inpired by god.

i've not said anywhere that devine inspiration, god or santa does not exist or that you are wrong for believing it so. all i've said is that i've seen nothing that suggests TO ME that they do exist. though i must say that in my younger years my parents did have me convinced of santa but my reasoning methods have changed dramatically in the last half century or so.

Co-sign. To me, it's like Francis collins who said he seen three parts of a waterfall frozen and that convinced him of the Abrahamic God (Trinity), he didn't see God, he see what he was looking for, which anything that resemble something magnificent to him = God. Anything can inspire anybody, someone saving my life can inspire me to live everyday like my last, or beating a murder trial if i know i was innocent. I think, with religious people, especially how i use to be i found things i didn't understand awe inspiring, the universe etc, and figured it was made all for us and that inspired me in my past faith.

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 10/03/11 09:12 AM
^_^ .. sure, happy Monday!

mykesorrel's photo
Sat 10/01/11 08:55 PM
<trolling>

He also loves killing.

</trolling>

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 09/16/11 11:48 AM

when i ponder this question, i often think about a german concentration camp guard at auschwitiz in 1944. he's a devout christian, attends church with his loving family each sunday and donates his share when the collection plate is passed. on this day he is leading jews, among whom is a family, mother, father, daughter, son, into the gas chamber. now here is where it gets confusing to me, the nazi, if he asks forgiveness for his sins after the war, will enjoy raising his children, playing with his grand children and otherwise basking in the warmth we call life. and when that ends he'll ascend to heaven where he'll meet his loved ones. the jewish family on the other hand, not believing precisely as the german that jesus is the son of god, will burn in hell for eternity. that's just sick man.

This is one reason why i am against religion. Even if God, Christianity and Jesus could be proved to me beyond any doubt, i would not want to be a part of it. I'll choose to burn in hell with the Jews and all the other good people there.

there is nothing good about man!!! and those that are going to heaven, are not going there b'cos of their good works, but b'cos, they believe in the work of grace, through the death of Jesus Christ on the cross. happy

And this is why i seriously feel like i'm becoming more anti-theism, this kind of thinking is baffling, for someone to seriously consider this morally right in this day and age is amazing.

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 09/16/11 11:05 AM

were did hawking state that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQhd05ZVYWg

Check out the whole episode, it's still good nonetheless.

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 09/16/11 07:22 AM

when i ponder this question, i often think about a german concentration camp guard at auschwitiz in 1944. he's a devout christian, attends church with his loving family each sunday and donates his share when the collection plate is passed. on this day he is leading jews, among whom is a family, mother, father, daughter, son, into the gas chamber. now here is where it gets confusing to me, the nazi, if he asks forgiveness for his sins after the war, will enjoy raising his children, playing with his grand children and otherwise basking in the warmth we call life. and when that ends he'll ascend to heaven where he'll meet his loved ones. the jewish family on the other hand, not believing precisely as the german that jesus is the son of god, will burn in hell for eternity. that's just sick man.

I know this is just my opinion, but i find it interesting that both top world religions have fear mongering and they are both based off a religion that started the whole crap, that don't even really believe in hell. It's like little kids making up a game, then i try to set new rules mid game and because everyone else don't want to play by these new rules state "either you don't play or get kicked off, don't care how good you are and my gang will beat you up".

mykesorrel's photo
Fri 09/16/11 05:58 AM
Edited by mykesorrel on Fri 09/16/11 06:00 AM

Not suggesting agree with everyone else on something that's improbable, but we both know the agnosticism which deals with knowledge and atheism deals with disbelief.

no, we most certainly do not both know or agree. agnosticism is about the unknowable, not knowledge and atheism has nothing to do with belief or disbelief. the rest of your post i've no comment on as we cannot agree on the terms.

I think you are using the definition on a one sided plane. As you can see from the wiki it states what it is, then later states that modern people use the term to mean "unknowable":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism#Etymology

Again it states this as i quote:

"Agnostic (Greek: ἀ- a-, without + γνῶσις gnōsis, knowledge) was used by Thomas Henry Huxley in a speech at a meeting of the Metaphysical Society in 1876[10] to describe his philosophy which rejects all claims of spiritual or mystical knowledge. Early Christian church leaders used the Greek word gnosis (knowledge) to describe "spiritual knowledge." Agnosticism is not to be confused with religious views opposing the ancient religious movement of Gnosticism in particular; Huxley used the term in a broader, more abstract sense.[11] Huxley identified agnosticism not as a creed but rather as a method of skeptical, evidence-based inquiry.[12]
In recent years, scientific literature dealing with neuroscience and psychology has used the word to mean "not knowable".[13] In technical and marketing literature, agnostic often has a meaning close to "independent"—for example, "platform agnostic" or "hardware agnostic."" - from the Wiki

As for what i was talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism#Types_of_agnosticism

Seems to me you take the portion that conform to you and get rid of everything else to fit what you want, if that's your reasons fine, but please don't make it seem like i'm wrong about the definitions, but then again to me it seems more like your opinion and we will be going back and fourth, but using this to educate anyone else who slides through this thread.

and really atheism is not a disbelief in Gods? Please educate me, maybe i been wrong these past three years. bigsmile

once again. agnostic: regarding what is unknown and unknowable.
atheist: absent theism. you'll note that the word 'belief' or any variation thereof is not part of either description. and i never refer to wiki as a reliable source. and people come to a dating site to be educated???laugh hey man. good one.:banana:

sigh and what is theism kind sir :
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theism

the belief in deities, the absent of that "belief" is disbelief, why is this so hard to understand? No, let's not get sarcastic, as you can see you have your own perception of whatever you want to think agnosticism is and there are terms coined that are equally valid. It's to not spread misinformation even if this was a website on cookie dough lovers. Wikipedia have cited information so where do your information lay at? the very origin of agnosticism stem from greek as - a (without) gnostic (knowledge), so I guess the word itself is wrong too. Anyway MH is right not that serious this will extend like the other thread did, I made my point.

Hi folks, just popping in and breezed through this thread and just wanted to make a comment.

As an atheist I've always disagreed with those who attemt to define atheism with the term disbelief. On many levels of definition, including synonyms, the term is associated with both, "skepticism" and "doubt."

Certainly, in this vast cyberspace of information, there will be some confliting information available.

However, my reasoning in not accepting the term 'disbelief' is rather simple. I approach matters of religious 'faith' in the same manner with which I would approach reading comic books. Young children with little knowledge or understanding of our human limitations might read the X-Men and wonder about what powers lay hidden in their own bodies. I suppose when those kids grow and no longer habor such childish beliefs that one could say they now disbelieve, but I do not, because those children were working with limited expereience, knowledge and informatin in the first place.

HOWEVER, when an adult immerses himself in a science fiction book or movie they do so by suspending 'belief' (example: imagining our world in the company of vampires or being invaded by Martians). But such behavior is not akin to DISBELIEF.

Now, let's look at religious belief. In most cases in which religious doctrine guides the belief system, the individual is required to suspend and/or modify current scientifically accepted views to accommodate their religious beliefs.

In that case I would consider that faith in religious dogmas causes the faithful to DISBELIEVE rather than a suspension of belief because accepting religious dogma over other more objective inforamtin would be to disbelieve.

On the other hand, I do not accepted religious dogma at any level higher than a science fiction comic book. I may consciously suspend knowledge or current understanding of the universe in order to enjoy the science fiction of the comic book or, in some cases, as an attempt to understand what others believe, but I cannot disbelieve something I did not believe in the first place. There is no more doubt, for me, about religious dogma than there is doubt that "The Avengers" are real. I have not changed in any significant way in response to what others believe but believers often tend to trade in one belief for another, thereby causing disbelief for themselves, not for me.

Understand?

I concur with your post being thought out, but your stance is more opinionated (considering your introduction said "i disagree") than the definition itself. We can continue spamming this thread or just make a new one, i really don't care. When most non-believers i know say they absolutely don't believe in God they most always refer to "the man in the sky" a.k.a Zeus, Thor, Yahweh, etc. Although anecdotal, even when first deconverting from Christianity, i always came across an atheist who said "there could be something out there, i really don't know, there is no evidence so there is no reason for me to **believe**" especially from a pantheist or deistic stand-point. Now, i don't know if you are on Reddit or know about it but the very FAQ label with this:

http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/atheism#Whatisatheism

Now does majority always make something right? No, but i think the precise term for atheism is disbelief in any Deity, whether you don't want to attach disbelief to yourself is fine, but again, it's nothing but a mere opinion.

not so. the question is definately relevant. we just have no evidence to suggest what was before the big bang.

Trust me i know, i was just going by what Stephen Hawkings stated.

mykesorrel's photo
Thu 09/15/11 12:52 PM

I think I mentioned on a few pages back before all this got spammed, I'm actually into Astronomy. I said I could understand why people believe the universe was created by God, as it's so vast and beautiful. But then my question would go on to ask what created God? :wink: There has to be a start somewhere. Space is governed by phyisics, gravity, neublae etc. As for what made it, if there was a big bang, what created the first 2 gases? That is a question to last forever and can't be answered, as we weren't around back then happy I don't look through my telescope for answers, I look through it for the beauty and detail.

If I were to say there is a God, my personal belief is that God is in each one of us. It's our own individual idea. We all have our own versions, our personal definitions. A religion is where a group of people just so happen to have the very same or similar idea of God. Some may change their mind and try a different religion, because their own personal event in life has changed that. Not because anyone is right or wrong, simply the God they have inside them has changed due to an experience of some sort.

Even non-believers pray at some point, they may think it's to themself or they may even say it's a prayer to God, asking for help. It varies on how much they really believe though. Either way, at some point we turn to somebody or something asking for help.

What do you think towards my thinking? As I said, I've not found God, I've prayed when my Mum died earlier this year. Hoping that she is OK now (after suffering with cancer/heart attack/paralyzed in the last few days). I have no idea if there is a better place, but as an individual, I rest on hope.

Well according to science, what was before the big bang, they don't know, but they consider the question irrelevant since time didn't exist. The question of who created God, is often brought up because apologist like William Lane Craig often use first cause as a argument for God, the problem is it doesn't explain which God or even if it is a God of how we view it. The only reason why i don't think there is a heaven is before i was made inside my mother womb, i was here, i never existed period. Let's think about this, you have no prior memory of every existing, this to me shows your existence is just that, i'm not saying it like i know for a fact, but that just makes me accept that i didn't care about existing then, after i die i won't have a conscious to worry about pain,suffering, worshiping someone for eternity, playing harp for eternity :p etc.

mykesorrel's photo
Thu 09/15/11 07:50 AM
Edited by mykesorrel on Thu 09/15/11 07:50 AM

None what-so-ever... this is why I was asking questions about it.

The original question was for those who discovered God later in life, how did they decide one day to look for God, did they believe in him before? Those sort of questions. So this doesn't apply to those who were born and raised with the belief passed from their parents :smile:

Oh okay, wish my cousin was on these boards because he use to be a atheist and now is deistic. He states that the universe is to intricate for there to not be something governing it. He doesn't believe in God in a sense of a man in the sky intervening like most religions, but God within the universe and within ourselves. So i guess he can also be a pantheist, he doesn't like titles so i don't blame him, but i think if i was to slap one on him it would be either pantheist or deist.

[edit] Oh and i asked him how did he go from non-belief to that, he said he just felt something in his life that he couldn't explain, i don't know what he said verbatim, but something of the sort.

mykesorrel's photo
Thu 09/15/11 07:15 AM

You can argue this until the end, dragging out my thread. Or you can just accept he simply doesn't want to agree with anyone and has his own definition whoa

Agreed, back to you, what is your religious history?

mykesorrel's photo
Thu 09/15/11 05:49 AM

Not suggesting agree with everyone else on something that's improbable, but we both know the agnosticism which deals with knowledge and atheism deals with disbelief.

no, we most certainly do not both know or agree. agnosticism is about the unknowable, not knowledge and atheism has nothing to do with belief or disbelief. the rest of your post i've no comment on as we cannot agree on the terms.

I think you are using the definition on a one sided plane. As you can see from the wiki it states what it is, then later states that modern people use the term to mean "unknowable":

"Agnostic (Greek: ἀ- a-, without + γνῶσις gnōsis, knowledge) was used by Thomas Henry Huxley in a speech at a meeting of the Metaphysical Society in 1876[10] to describe his philosophy which rejects all claims of spiritual or mystical knowledge. Early Christian church leaders used the Greek word gnosis (knowledge) to describe "spiritual knowledge." Agnosticism is not to be confused with religious views opposing the ancient religious movement of Gnosticism in particular; Huxley used the term in a broader, more abstract sense.[11] Huxley identified agnosticism not as a creed but rather as a method of skeptical, evidence-based inquiry.[12]
In recent years, scientific literature dealing with neuroscience and psychology has used the word to mean "not knowable".[13] In technical and marketing literature, agnostic often has a meaning close to "independent"—for example, "platform agnostic" or "hardware agnostic."" - from the Wiki

Seems to me you take the portion that conform to you and get rid of everything else to fit what you want, if that's your reasons fine, but please don't make it seem like i'm wrong about the definitions, but then again to me it seems more like your opinion and we will be going back and fourth, but using this to educate anyone else who slides through this thread.

and really atheism is not a disbelief in Gods? Please educate me, maybe i been wrong these past three years. bigsmile

once again. agnostic: regarding what is unknown and unknowable.
atheist: absent theism. you'll note that the word 'belief' or any variation thereof is not part of either description. and i never refer to wiki as a reliable source. and people come to a dating site to be educated???laugh hey man. good one.:banana:

sigh and what is theism kind sir :
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theism

the belief in deities, the absent of that "belief" is disbelief, why is this so hard to understand? No, let's not get sarcastic, as you can see you have your own perception of whatever you want to think agnosticism is and there are terms coined that are equally valid. It's to not spread misinformation even if this was a website on cookie dough lovers. Wikipedia have cited information so where do your information lay at? the very origin of agnosticism stem from greek as - a (without) gnostic (knowledge), so I guess the word itself is wrong too. Anyway MH is right not that serious this will extend like the other thread did, I made my point.

mykesorrel's photo
Wed 09/14/11 09:00 PM

ITs not that serious,,,we believe what we believe. But when you start asking about definitions in a public forum, be prepared to get more than the 'standard' explanations.

Words can evolve, that doesnt mean they dont still mean what they mean if the person means it that way,, it just means others might mean it in a different 'evolving' kind of way,,lol

When I say agnostic or atheist, I am using it as I learned it and as I read it from Webster(which has been one of my LIFELONG resources for grammar, spelling, and definitions).

But our individuality sometimes causes us to put individual twists on those definitions...no big deal

well, at least not once the speaker makes clear what context they are using,,,

regardless lurkers need to know it as a whole not one person perception.

mykesorrel's photo
Wed 09/14/11 05:48 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Wed 09/14/11 05:54 PM

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9