Community > Posts By > mykesorrel

mykesorrel's photo
Wed 07/20/11 01:20 AM

I just hit 10,000 posts yesterday, and let me tell you, not only is posting in the forums great, but Mingle is the place to be.:thumbsup:

My mom and dad are both passed:angel: so I didnt have any family, till I came to Mingle. Now I have a bigger family than anyone could ever dream of having. When I have great news to share, they are there, when I need a shoulder to cry on, they are there. They even help me critique my music original music and poems.shades

I have also, went out on alot of dates, from Mingle. I did find the right one here, but he does live all the way across the country from mesad but we have been chatting almost every night, for 3 years!And we are hoping to be together soon.:heart:

And ive made the best friends here, ive ever had. Talk about having your back...Minglers got your back, my friend!Through thick and thin, they are always there with whatever it is you need...to laugh(and theres ALOT of that, I have laughed so hard everyday my sides hurt)rofl rofl , to listen to your stories, to lend a helping hand, to give you great advice, to cheer you up, if you are down,even to spend your birthday with, you name it, Minglers are there. They are the best people I have personally met, and im sure you will find that too. flowerforyou

I hope you stay at Mingle, and let us get to know you, and before you know it, you will be part of the family. AND BELIEVE ME you want to be part of this family!!:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I could go on and on, but i'll just say for now, welcome to Mingle,"Jumper" you are really blessed to have found this place, and we're glad your here.......enjoy!!flowers

woke up in the middle of the night, but this is awesome.

mykesorrel's photo
Wed 07/20/11 01:17 AM

Di wrote:

Why does the big bang necessitate the existence of nothing before it happened?

It doesn't. That's actually a popular misconception.

The mathematics of General Relativity shows that the fabric of space-time, as we know it and experience it, came into being at the big bang.

This does not in any way suggest that there was "nothing" before the Big Bang.

Time, as we perceive it on a macro level, (in other words, time as the arrow of entropy) could not exist before macro objects were created, because without macro objects 'time' as we perceive it in terms of changes in entropy could not exist.

So what is being said by scientists, and General Relativity, is that the Macro fabric of space-time did not exist prior to the Big Bang. But this does not mean that other forms of space and time that are completely independent of each other could not have existed. In other words, they hadn't yet been connected together via macro objects and entropy. But they could have still existed as completely independent properties of the original source.

^ this. There are also expirements showing virtual particles that pop in and out of existence all the time.

mykesorrel's photo
Wed 07/20/11 01:05 AM
Edited by mykesorrel on Wed 07/20/11 01:06 AM

This is something i always ponder. If God existed, would the world be a much different world, when i say this i mean a world govern by a deity. The Biblical worldview shows God interfering in already,to me, in my opinion i think this world would show miracles all the time and praying wouldn't feel like hoping to win the lotto. Any thoughts or opinions?

As a parent, I disagree. I dont just 'give' my kids things all the time. They have to learn to be responsible and earn what they have. A Miracle is a 'gift', not something earned. I dont think God would just spread Gifts all the time or else they would no longer be considered 'gifts' but 'entitlements'

"I don't think " is a matter of opinion. The God of the Bible intervened in human conditions every chance he got. then "disappeared" when man grew smarter. either it's a coincidence or ignorance on man's part to not accept the possibility they were led astray.

mykesorrel's photo
Tue 07/19/11 08:20 PM

This is something i always ponder. If God existed, would the world be a much different world, when i say this i mean a world govern by a deity. The Biblical worldview shows God interfering in already,to me, in my opinion i think this world would show miracles all the time and praying wouldn't feel like hoping to win the lotto. Any thoughts or opinions?

this world does show miracles all the time

miracles happen everyday

* citation needed.

mykesorrel's photo
Tue 07/19/11 03:50 PM

::cough:: great flood ::cough::

So since man chose to be wicked God smote them save Noah and his family?

Well, that's a contradiction right there.

Supposedly no man is without sin, yet God saved Noah and his family. Mere mortals who could not possibly be without sin. '

This also flies in the face of the idea that all sin is equal in the eyes of God, and that the only reward for sin is death.

It also flies in the face of the idea that God doesn't play favorites.

Of course, we already saw that ideal being contradicted when God chose the Jews as his favorite people.

I personally don't see how any of these Hebrew fables can be said to be consistent when they are clearly riddled with contradictions at every turn of the page.

Besides, it wouldn't say much for a creator whose entire creation is constantly choosing to be evil. That would only show the the creator himself is an extremely flawed creator. Basically a failure as a creator. He couldn't even create a species of humans where half the people are good.

That's a pretty bad failure rate for a creator I think.

Supposedly no man is without sin, yet God saved Noah and his family. Mere mortals who could not possibly be without sin. '

This also flies in the face of the idea that all sin is equal in the eyes of God, and that the only reward for sin is death.

No man is without sin and the only reward for sin is death, and yes all sins are equal. BUT, all but one sin is forgivable. The only sin that could guarantee missing out on Heaven is denying our lord Jesus Christ. AAAALLL other sins are forgivable and if forgiveness is true heartedly sought after, it will be given and it will be as you never did that sin in the first place. No where does it say Noah was PERFECT. Absolutely no one is perfect on their own. We are made perfect through the grace of God. Noah was pleasurable in God's eye, he sought after being righteous. That is why Noah was pleasing to God, he sought after the right thing of being obedient to God our father.

isn't that convenient. Didn't Noah get drunk? He couldn't have been that perfect.

excuse me? I know nothing of Noah getting drunk. He may have at one point or time, but if he had he had also turned from doing as such. Yes they drank wine, but drinking wine is just fine as long as they don't do it to the extent of getting drunk. But please, enlighten us with a verse that states Noah got "Drunk".

Pardon on my mobile phone so it's a little hard to do this. here:

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+9%3A20-25&version=NIV

Somethings wrong with the link, says no such search.

Genesis 9:20-25

New International Version (NIV)

20 Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded[a] to plant a vineyard. 21 When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent. 22 Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father naked and told his two brothers outside. 23 But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it across their shoulders; then they walked in backward and covered their father’s naked body. Their faces were turned the other way so that they would not see their father naked

best I can do on my Android phone.

Yes, that is the verse(s) I had found. But if we go back a little further we will see this is after the flood.

One incidental action does not condemn anyone. There is room for repentance. It does not say that Noah remained a drunk or was a drunk before hand. He was seen pleasing to God before hand.

Genesis 9:1
1And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.

My point was about perfection, if he was perfect, he would not be able to even give into being drunk whether it was before the flood or after the flood.

mykesorrel's photo
Tue 07/19/11 03:39 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Tue 07/19/11 03:40 PM

Of course, we already saw that ideal being contradicted when God chose the Jews as his favorite people.

I personally don't see how any of these Hebrew fables can be said to be consistent when they are clearly riddled with contradictions at every turn of the page.

Besides, it wouldn't say much for a creator whose entire creation is constantly choosing to be evil. That would only show the the creator himself is an extremely flawed creator. Basically a failure as a creator. He couldn't even create a species of humans where half the people are good.

No man is without sin and the only reward for sin is death, and yes all sins are equal. BUT, all but one sin is forgivable. The only sin that could guarantee missing out on Heaven is denying our lord Jesus Christ. AAAALLL other sins are forgivable and if forgiveness is true heartedly sought after, it will be given and it will be as you never did that sin in the first place. No where does it say Noah was PERFECT. Absolutely no one is perfect on their own. We are made perfect through the grace of God. Noah was pleasurable in God's eye, he sought after being righteous. That is why Noah was pleasing to God, he sought after the right thing of being obedient to God our father.

isn't that convenient. Didn't Noah get drunk? He couldn't have been that perfect.

excuse me? I know nothing of Noah getting drunk. He may have at one point or time, but if he had he had also turned from doing as such. Yes they drank wine, but drinking wine is just fine as long as they don't do it to the extent of getting drunk. But please, enlighten us with a verse that states Noah got "Drunk".

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+9%3A20-25&version=NIV

Somethings wrong with the link, says no such search.

Genesis 9:20-25

New International Version (NIV)

20 Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded[a] to plant a vineyard. 21 When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent. 22 Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father naked and told his two brothers outside. 23 But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it across their shoulders; then they walked in backward and covered their father’s naked body. Their faces were turned the other way so that they would not see their father naked

best I can do on my Android phone.

mykesorrel's photo
Tue 07/19/11 03:32 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Tue 07/19/11 03:37 PM

lol wait til I get on my computer links not working.

mykesorrel's photo
Tue 07/19/11 03:26 PM

mykesorrel's photo
Tue 07/19/11 01:34 PM

Obvious miracles would remove the need for faith.

If you are looking for a prayer, pray for faith.

Then why do it back then and not now?

Would we have free will if god kept fixing our mistakes?

mykesorrel's photo
Tue 07/19/11 01:32 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Tue 07/19/11 01:34 PM
remove this

mykesorrel's photo
Tue 07/19/11 01:03 PM

mykesorrel's photo
Tue 07/19/11 08:41 AM
Edited by mykesorrel on Tue 07/19/11 08:54 AM

I really love you guys and the diversity of opinions, but ya know sometimes I think, "Does EVERYTHING have to become a freakin' debate???"

Do people of faith feel this is a bad thing or good thing?

Well, for people of faith it's bad and good. Bad for you because it means you are fulfilling prophecy and the end of this world is near. Good for us because you are fulfilling prophecy and the end of this world is near. :laughing:

It just depends on your individual perspective, really. It's to be expected so I don't have any emotional upheaval either way.

touché, i never understood the Christian obsession of world end or any religion for that matter. You have Hitler, who blamed the Jews for everything,told his people he would lift up their hearts, depression, and then committed genocide to the Jewish people and we find that atrocious, but when God does it, it's in the name of love. Ha, but i get your drift, if the prophecy was true with a twist, God just taking all Christians up to heaven and leave everyone else here (minus the torture), that wouldn't sound so bad :-p .

mykesorrel's photo
Tue 07/19/11 07:08 AM

mykesorrel,

I like your use of BBCodes.

drinker

Ha-ha, thanks. I wasn't even really trying to get this deep into the topic of God, because no matter what, people have to come to their conclusions on there own - my only problem is people who believe their conclusion is right and try to govern the world with it. Off to classes.

mykesorrel's photo
Tue 07/19/11 06:33 AM
Edited by mykesorrel on Tue 07/19/11 07:10 AM

How do I know? Simple, I USE MY HEAD. If my head cannot justify something no matter how hard I try, it simply cannot be true. That's about the easiest way to put it. Logically speaking things in religion simply don't add up. I'm not gonna try to make them add up if I can't.

hey, you may be just the person i've been looking to talk to. you see, i've had a new hobby since i retired which involves the study of quantum mechanics. now i'm convinced that there must be something to this new science discipline but as hard as I USE MY HEAD, i cannot seem to grasp much understanding of the crap. and yet, unlike you, although i can't work it all out in my head, i still think that the science is JUSTIFIED. i find what my austrailian mate, a university professor teaching this science to phd undergrads, is telling me must make some sense and think the science is JUSTIFIED as it is leading us, or i should say folks in the profession like him, to a greater understanding of the universe.

he says things like, "trust me, john. for now just grasp what i say about the basic principles as being correct. you'll understand why as we go along, but for now if you cannot accept these basic principles you'll never grasp quantum phyics." i listen to him because i think there is something to this stuff even though i cannot yet understand it. much of it at any rate.

point being, i'd put my ability to "USE MY HEAD" up against your's, his or anybody else's on the planet. don't know your thinking on quantum physics but whether or not you've studied the discipline maybe you can help me out here. you say that if your "head cannot justify something no matter how hard [you] try, it simply cannot be true." well i want to KNOW stuff like you KNOW stuff. is there any TRUTH to this quantum stuff? if YOU cannot justify the crap in YOUR HEAD no matter how hard you've tried, "it simply cannot be true" right? i should find a new hobby, right? or if you have made use of your head and have justified it perhaps you'll sit in with me and my phd mate from austrailia next time we're online together and help the poor sucker out getting through my thick skull. actually he says the crap will likely never be fully KNOWN so perhaps you might help him out too. i'm sure he dosn't like chasing his tail in life and would appreciate KNOWING that if YOU can't figure it out in YOUR head "it simply cannot be true" and he can quit wasting his time and retire and go fishing like me. yes, i do have other hobbies that are not unlike chasing my tail.

What people like you fail to realize is that quantum mechanics is testable in a lab (sometimes like when theists say you cannot see air, but you know it's there). Quantum mechanics doesn't punish you if you choose to give up on it and quantum mechanics is apart of science which we all can change (the Bible you cannot even though it has been over the years) and analyze. The beauty about science is there is a abundance of sources for its evidence as well as you can do it on your own. For instance, there's the multidimensional hypothesis, which i don't believe in until i can see more evidence supporting it. No different then God(s). You cannot default something to something just because you have a hard to grasping reality, invoking a God as a back up plan begs bigger questions. If God does exists where is it? Who created it and who created the one who created it and so fourth. Most Christians/theologians use the cosmological argument, but that have been refuted also as what i previously stated. If you're saying that him "using his head" is a bad way of thinking, because that's means he really doesn't know if a God exist or not, i'd grant that much, but when it comes to the Abrahamic God, there are way to many flaws in the Bible for a rational person to take serious, so i contend that's what he might be considering; could be wrong.

"head cannot justify something no matter how hard [you] try, it simply cannot be true."

I disagree with this also, i think i better response would have been, it simply doesn't mean God did it.

fear is always real and often not apparent

even if someone had not seen proof THEMSELF or verified THEMSELF that thieves have their hands cut off,, if it was TRUE, it would be justified to be fearful of it before having to experience it oneself

if it wasnt true, than that person would just have a pleasant surprise should they ever decide to steal,,,,

religion is only a documented set of beliefs and values,, in the end the ones that matter will matter, whether you adhered to them because of a religion or whatever other reason

the religion doesnt cause you to perish, the real consequences do

religion just has the capacity to be correct or incorrect about the circumstances which bring about such consequences,,,

It wouldn't be blind faith unless i don't visit those countries. We know that stealing is real and people are real, you can go visit the lands of and see for yourself. We can have evidence, by asking around, observing and setting something up to test if i stole something would there be consequences. "in the end the ones that matter will matter", this is exactly my point of why atheists get upset. You have no definitive of knowing yours is right, but most Christians really believe there's right. We see it everyday with abortions, homosexuality and creationism being taught in science classroom issues. Not even to negate Islam, we see issues over there also. Most atheists could give a flying hotdog if someone believed that a hobbit was governing the universe, it's the fact it's so widespread and people are trying to inject their religion everywhere.

How do you know? How is it any more logical to INSIST that it cant be true or isnt true than it is to INSIST That it is?

What if the 'whole' thing is actually the truth? Who says its on a whim?

You're right nobody can be sure, but with this kind of thinking ANYTHING can be true. Like previously stated, it's the fact people religion have a tendency to want to run the world. I think Christopher hitchers best describe how i feel on this issues:

"For hundreds and thousands of years, this kind of discussion would have been in most places impossible to have, or Sam and I would have been having it at the risk of our lives. Religion now comes to us in this smiling face ingratiating way because it has had to give so much ground and because we know so much more. Don’t forget the way it behaved when it was strong and when it really believed that it had God on its side."

Plain and simple, if religious people throughout the years kept to themselves i seriously doubt anyone would even care what they believe. There are minor points i agree with you on, but all i'm saying is believing in something off fear is not the same as believing in something because you have evidence. I've debated plenty of Christians (not that count as browning point because i hate debates), but they all resort to "well if i'm right i get paradise, i'f i'm wrong oh well", i bet you wouldn't feel the same if you were the people leaving there faith or switching to Christianity in the middle east and have to adhere to the punish of apostasy.

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 07/18/11 10:26 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Mon 07/18/11 10:30 PM

doesnt matter, I didnt wish to get off topic

whatever terms are used,, as a CHRISTIAN, It wont bother me if more people question or ask questions about religion/God/faith,,etc,,,

it would bother me if more people started to insist upon living without giving thought or consideration to religion/God/Faith,,etc,,

Why? It's their choice, who are you to say your beliefs are any better than theirs are, or that to be good is dependent at all on what they believe?

of course its their choice, I didnt say otherwise

its also a personal choice to commit suicide, or use drugs, or eat fast food every day

that doesnt stop me from being able to worry about people who make such choices though

Totally different things, the effects of those are OBVIOUS, this one is only assumed. You can assume till the cows come home that you know how God is, but what if you're wrong?

IF Im wrong , then no harm done

but I dont go on the assumption that I am wrong

and if I am right, the mortal choices could affect the immortal consequences,,,

But see that's the entire thing, it's a reigning by fear. Because the standard thing for non-believers is: "what if you're wrong", it's an easy way to excuse the atrocities of the religion by using the fear of being wrong and dying, going to hell, etc etc.

In so doing, you project that fear onto them, but also onto yourself too, and make you worry about them more than you should. It's a big control game.

truly, if IM right, the fear is justified

thats like saying , if I tell you that stealing in a certain arab country will result in your hand being cut off.. that may make you fear stealing so that you dont do it,,,

but it may be that you already had the CONSCIENCE not to do it anyhow

and it could be that in that arab country there is no such law

but IF There is,, it would be well founded to be AWARE And possibly FEARFUL of the potential consequence of such a choice

Fear is a survival mechanism, its not always bad,,,,sometimes its good to have fear/respect of consequences/ cognizance of cause and effect when making life choices,,,

I disagree with your first premise, we have evidence for people getting their heads chopped off and hands, nothing for hell. You're basically arguing for Pascals wager. What you fail to realize is anybody can be right and anyone can be wrong. You're basically adhering to your "right" and assuming that nothing can possible to you if you're wrong, when the Muslims can be right or any other religion for that matter. Fear is a mechanism only when the fear is real and apparent, most Christians use a fear based absolutely no evidence, it's is a coercion tactic. I look at it like this, all the major Abrahamic religions are the dominant, but besides Judaism being the least, its either you adhere to the religion or perish for eternity.

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 07/18/11 08:46 PM

I disagree. While it can be easy to meet people, I still have to make a connection with someone in order for it to mean something. I still get excited about a phone call and a date. So yes, the anticipation still builds up and is fun. I don't deal with guys who have a big ego either.

I mainly state this, because i know plenty of females (being i am a male) who was never on a site. Signed up, got addicted to it, and went from a humble non-internet person to very egotistic and "busy". I know this is anecdotal, but i'd love to hear others opinions and like yours too.

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 07/18/11 08:40 PM

What do you mean by spirituality (in your terms)?

For lack of a better word to use, my spirituality is that there is an energy to life itself that interacts with it's surroundings and other life forms. When we die the energy joins the universal energy.

Making us all the same at this level and making us responsible for what type of energy we choose to put out for others to have to deal with, either positive or negative.

That is it in really simple form. It is kinda like karma in that I believe if we live negatively we bring negativity to ourselves.

I see what you mean, wouldn't that fit more with some kind of naturalism? Spirituality to me is more religion lite (one can be atheist and spiritual though).

Im posting about people giving consideration to the validity of the bible and of the existence of God

as opposed to the bible being brushed off by more and more as only fairytale,,,(as in nothing legitimate or relevant in it, not to be confused with a FABLE which still has a moral to learn)

or to God being brushed off as no more real than Santa Claus,,,

Wouldn't that undermine faith by definition. There is no evidence for the existence of God only what someone wishes to believe. And the validly of the Bible, if was valid would have been proven already. Not trying to argue religion, but any theologian can say that many of the stories in the Bible is pretty inane. As far as the fairy tale bit, i'm sure people who came to that conclusion have all right to regard as such, as i do, you seem pretty rational when it comes to not pushing your beliefs and staying to yourself, so i don't my thoughts on the Bible matter to you. I'm pretty sure you feel that other Gods are false, no different then how some people feel the Judeo-Christian God is in that regard.

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 07/18/11 08:30 PM
Am i the only one who feel like technology makes people ego boost? For instance, you have sites like Facebook, Myspace (at its time) and others that can share pictures, comment on them, and make a female feel like a super model/get extreme attention. I feel as if, it's so easy to meet someone now-a-days, that the anticipation is not as it was before. Now, i'm only 26, but even as a teen(18) i remember getting a girl number, writing it down and generally excited to call her from my house the next day. to me, i think a lot of technology is distracting people, in my opinion, and as far as ego, a lot of male/females post pictures up and other people comment. People have a heightened sense of ego because a women who is curvy can post pictures and have a 100 men running for them, same with the guys being muscular. I'm a reaching or do people agree with me? (was going to post more but i'd be typing forever)

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 07/18/11 08:19 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Mon 07/18/11 08:21 PM

it seems as if agnostic theist and antitheist are two more terms which kind of confuse things more

I was just explaining the foundation for my post, the definitions I was using for TWO seperate words

atheism ( literally NO GOD)
agnosticism (literally WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE)

,, I kind of thought I simplified it actually,,,

I don't like going into semantics of labeling, but i didn't want a misrepresentation of the meaning, it's better to know than to assume.

it would bother me if more people started to insist upon living without giving thought or consideration to religion/God/Faith,,etc,,

What consideration might that be? A high percentage of people who become agnostic or atheist read the Bible back and fourth, i'm assuming you mean consideration in either reading the Bible and going to church or on a more faith based level (ease my confusion, thanks)?

That's called Dogmatic Atheism. There are plenty of atheists like that, becoming more common every day. We are witnessing the philosophical decline of atheism.

I wouldn't really consider that, if any of your are familiar with Reddit there are plenty of anti-theistic people there. Most of them started as a "weak atheist", to seeing the issues religion place on people/world and then really despise religion.

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 07/18/11 07:46 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Mon 07/18/11 07:48 PM
I'm one of those anti-theism atheist who "refuse" to believe there is a God.So if you never heard or seen an atheist say or type this OP,you just did.Theres a first time for everything.

I actually stated that:

What you might be referring to is anti-theism. Most atheists are agnostic atheist as i'm sure you know the meaning.

atheism(no god)

agnostic(without knowledge of God)

atheist(to me) seems like a very FIRM stand (NO God)

You're confusing a lot. There is Gnostic atheist and agnostic atheist, your confusion can be found here:

http://freethinker.co.uk/2009/09/25/8419/

Anti-theism in itself is its own category. I recently almost argued with my world religion teacher because he was asserting atheism is someone "who knows for a *fact*" there's no God.

I feel the same but I have been told that I am not an atheist because of my spiritual beliefs. And I do fight for the rights of atheists to live religion free.

What do you mean by spirituality (in your terms)?