Community > Posts By > mykesorrel

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 07/18/11 04:14 PM

Let's not make mountains out of mole hills now. :tongue:

bigsmile

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 07/18/11 04:06 PM
I often here this by people who lack basic understanding on the matter. Was wondering, do people in these forums understand "something can come out nothing", because the thing we consider nothing is something.

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 07/18/11 04:02 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Mon 07/18/11 04:02 PM

What you might be referring to is anti-theism. Most atheists are agnostic atheist as i'm sure you know the meaning.

I've heard 'agnostic atheist' to mean "people who lack a belief in a deity, who think that such knowledge is also not obtainable". I've also heard "agnostic atheist" to simply mean "people who lack a belief in a deity" (in other words, a 'weak' atheist).

I like to linkify:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#North_America

Pardon forgot this forum don't auto link.

Agnosticism is to know something or not know something. Atheism is lack of belief in any God(s) because there's no evidence of the contrary. One cannot assert he/she knows if something is a truism, but can deny it based off someone claims and lack of supporting evidence. No different then people who reject multidimensional hypothesis. To get back on topic, if you combine the two "I'm an atheist because there is no evidence of God(s), but i cannot assert i know this for 100% fact this is true" weak atheism as you put it yes, but the way i put it is more common. It's no different then theists who cannot assert they 100% know for a fact there's a God. Agnosticism by itself is tricky, it's more so someone who doesn't care to believe/disbelieve and just doesn't have the knowledge to know.

mykesorrel's photo
Mon 07/18/11 01:22 PM
Edited by mykesorrel on Mon 07/18/11 01:32 PM

its kind of like asking if an increase in interracial marriage is a good or bad thing

basically, whatever other people do, even whatever I do, will not erase what my history is,, so I feel fairly neutral about it

I likewise think there are varying degress of 'atheism'(refusal to believe),, most which are closer to agnosticism(lack of evidence to convince)

I feel bad for those who REFUSE to believe, but I am totally understandable about those who have questions and (for lack of a better term) 'fear to commit'

Well i do feel my inquiry was a bit ambiguous. The reason why i asked is because i cannot figure out why certain people feel so threatened by atheism? Me myself, yes I'm an atheist, but i still like to read up on religion whether it is Greek, Egyptian or Christianity. Just wanted to see some people personal views on the matter, consider in there are more "out spoken" atheists as time passes.

I likewise think there are varying degress of 'atheism'(refusal to believe),, most which are closer to agnosticism(lack of evidence to convince)

This completely wrong, i have never heard an atheist say he "refuses" to believe, not only is that ignorant it is naive. If a deity came out the sky and said hey look at me, then i doubt seriously an atheist would still reject. What you might be referring to is anti-theism. Most atheists are agnostic atheist as i'm sure you know the meaning.

Just read the data part, the only problem with the data is the option "no religion" which can mean anything, but here is something i read before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#North_America

mykesorrel's photo
Sun 07/17/11 07:17 AM
I should have been more specific in my inquiry. In the United States, the rise of atheism is happening, i believe there was data showing this in a certain year span. Although this might be anecdotal, I've read various stories of people deconverting after going to college and studying their religion and others. So, are you suggesting that there's a steady state for atheism and people are more so becoming spiritual with a secular adherence?

mykesorrel's photo
Sun 07/17/11 06:40 AM
Do people of faith feel this is a bad thing or good thing?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 Next