Community > Posts By > Redykeulous

Redykeulous's photo
Wed 07/25/12 07:04 PM

enjoy while it lasts!

:laughing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrxiDogzUjc

Yep,you wish in one Hand..............................as the old saying goes!

:laughing:

I'm sure that .50 an hour will not even cover the costs of the rising food prices - but I'm glad that it offers a decent padding to offset, at least some of it.

Redykeulous's photo
Wed 07/25/12 07:00 PM

ah the labor unions, putting american workers out of a job,,,
starting back with the auto unions, demanding more money than
they were worth, putting out inferior products in more time,
opening the door for all the japanese car manufacturers
who paid a fair wage, put out higher quality, longer lasting
cars with better warranties.
name a union and i'll show you some of the worst leaders,
sucking off the union employees and protecting those employees
even though they are some of the laziest workers in america.
a project that doubles or triples in cost before it's
even completed. S.O.P. for them all. good old american greed.
alas, there is no respect for the american worker anymore,,,
just my opinion, and opinions are like azzholes,
everybody has one,,,

The Battle of Blair Mountain – read the story, it depicts what life without unions was like.

It wasn’t the unions that caused industries to leave this country or for products to have a limited life span – it was greed that caused them to leave and it’s greed that causes corporations to fight unions down today. You can believe all the corporate propaganda you want – it may give you some peace of mind as you continue consuming their wares – often on the backs (and graves) of those whose pay and working conditions are like Blair Mountain use to be – those poor people who took the jobs we’ve lost when greed called to the corporate kings.

Now the pawns can’t wait to throw their money into the coffers of the empires trove – take your trinkets, your gmo foods and stuff them all in the plastic bags, then save your .10 a gallon on gas using the complementary empires reward card - as you drive to the next palace of perpetual consumerist joy… (non-union of course & proud of it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain

Redykeulous's photo
Wed 07/25/12 06:36 PM

my pessimistic view for today: mankind is pretty much headed towards destroying itself...people seem to be working on that in more ways than one

my optimistic view for today: everyone can make a difference, so it's up to us where we're headed

It's such a relief that someone eles has those views - sometimes more than once in a day.

Where does mankind go from here?

philosophically....

Where do we go from here?

We could certainly use some good philosophy about...
New forms of goverment -- we are a hell of a lot of people (globally) and the relatively few in charge can not possibley provide an adequate representation of the populations they dominate.
Definately need some philosphical visions of nations linked by mutually agreed upon laws of the commons - of laws guide the use of the land free of ownership - of volunteers ready to sit in a committee because they have knowledge and experience about the cause of the committee, and a will to contribute to society.

Philosophers who can bring about a more logical perspective about freedom and liberty and community and honor and.....

We have so far to go the likes of Noam Chomsky cannot do it alone.

Know any good philosophers?

Redykeulous's photo
Thu 07/19/12 09:54 PM

we are a litigious country,, we will see what is 'proven' in the sut,,,

I don't expect much will be proven with any certainty because excutive privilege supercedes the courts - however, there is a severe lack of transparency in much of what this administration has been doing - but I will say that given the equally severe lack of congressional support might be a justification for lack of transparency.

Either way the divisive behaviors on the Hill have certainly trickled down which may be the only support the 'trickle down' theory is likely to receive.

Redykeulous's photo
Thu 07/19/12 07:21 PM

Oh so let me get this strait... your statment that there is nothing "new" under the sun, ( a cliche' at best ) was an effort to defend Obama?

I am curious as to how long it will take for you to catch on that Obama is a puppet for an evil Cabal of murderers and thieves.

about as long as it takes for someone to 'prove' it,,,,

It is already proven.

They sent in a team of assassins and killed Bin Laden. They illegally invaded a country and assassinated a man who the FBI admitted they could not even connect to the attack on the World Trade center.

It was all over the news. Did you miss that?

Obama has a hit list of people ("terrorists") to kill next.

Proven?

That's funny.

I did miss it, I dont watch alot of anonymous source news stories,,,

as to the

evil cabal of murderers and thieves,, once we prove who exactly that is and then that obama is their

'puppet'

I can believe

until then, taking a man dead or alive that was living to be a martyr and therefore died

doesnt quite fit such a grand accusation

Published on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 by Common Dreams

US Families of Drone Victims, Rights Groups File Lawsuit "Illegal, out of control, and must end”
By - Common Dreams staff

The Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) alongside family members of three US citizens who were killed in US drone strikes last year filed a lawsuit Wednesday against senior CIA and military officials. The lawsuit contends that the authorization of drone strikes which lead to the death of the three US citizens violated the US Constitution and international law.

The ACLU and the CCR contend that the drone strikes were part of a broader practice of extrajudicial “targeted killing” by the US and an assault on constitutional rights and due process.

“This suit is an effort to enforce the Constitution’s fundamental guarantee against the deprivation of life without due process of law,” said Jameel Jaffer, ACLU deputy legal director.

“The Constitution does not permit a bureaucratized program under which Americans far from any battlefield are summarily killed by their own government on the basis of shifting legal standards and allegations never tested in court.”

The suit refers specifically to an incident on September 30, 2011, when US drones killed US citizens Anwar Al-Aulaqi and Samir Khan, as well as a similar incident two weeks later when a US drone killed Al-Aulaqi’s 16-year-old son Abdulrahman Al-Aulaqi, at a restaurant. Both attacks occurred in Yemen.

Al-Aulaqi had been placed on CIA and Joint Special Operations Command “kill lists” a year before; however, the US government has never charged any of the victims with a crime.

“When a 16 year-old boy who has never been charged with a crime nor ever alleged to have committed a violent act is blown to pieces by US missiles, alarm bells should go off,” said CCR Senior Staff Attorney Pardiss Kebriaei. “The U.S. program of sending drones into countries in and against which it is not at war and eliminating so-called enemies on the basis of executive memos and conference calls is illegal, out of control, and must end.”

The suit aims to force the Obama administration to disclose details about the decisions that led to the attacks. 'Targeted Killings' of civilians around the world have become commonplace practices of the Obama administration, which has recently come under scrutiny by the United Nation's Human Rights Council (UNHRC). UN investigator and special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, Christof Heyns, condemned the continued use of US drones to assassinate suspected militants and questioned the legality of the Obama administration's program under international law.

The current suit names as defendants Defense Secretary Leon Panetta; CIA Director David Petraeus; Adm. William H. McRaven, Commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command and Gen. Joseph Votel, Commander of the Joint Special Operations Command.

ARTICALE EDIT: HIGHLIGHTED AREA = MY ADDITION

Redykeulous's photo
Wed 07/18/12 09:22 PM

Today I found four shinny new pennies, 2012. They had a shield on the back.

They seem much lighter in weight than most pennies. I think the metal in them has been changed.

Obama wants cheaper pennies and nickels

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/15/news/economy/pennies_nickels/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The U.S. Mint is facing a problem -- especially during these penny-pinching times. It turns out it costs more to make pennies and nickels than the coins are worth.
And because of that, the Obama administration this week asked Congress for permission to change the mix of metal that goes to make pennies and nickels, an expensive recipe that has remained unchanged for more than 30 years.

To be precise, it cost 2.4 cents to make one penny in 2011 and about 11.2 cents for each nickel.

Given the number of coins that the mint produces -- 4.3 billion pennies and 914 million nickels last year alone, those costs add up pretty quickly: a little more than $100 million for each coin.

But even though Treasury has been studying new metals since 2010, it has yet to come up with a workable mix that would definitely be cheaper, and it has no details yet as to what metals should be used or how much it would save to do so.

Even if a cheaper metal can be used, it might not take the cost of a penny down to less than a penny.

Just the administrative cost of minting 4.3 billion pennies costs almost a half-cent per coin by itself, leaving precious little room to make a penny for less than a cent, no matter the raw material used.

The raw material cost of the metals used in a current penny is only about 0.6 cents per coin, according to prices quoted on the London Metal Exchange, and a breakdown of a penny's composition from the mint. The mint paid 1.1 cents on average for the metal used in a penny in 2011, but that is the cost of ready-to-stamp blanks from the supplier, not raw material traded on commodity markets.
There have been times in recent years when a run-up in zinc and copper prices has taken the raw material value of a penny above one cent.
That's the case for a nickel today. Its more expensive metal mix means the raw materials in each are worth almost 6 cents per coin, based on current market prices. (States eye silver and gold currencies)

Despite popular belief, since 1982 pennies have only been copper plated, not copper through and through.

Much less expensive zinc makes up 97.5% of the mass of a penny, the rest is a copper coating.

Nickels actually have much more copper in them -- 75% copper and 25% nickel. It's the same mix they have always had except for the World War II years, when silver and manganese replaced the nickel and some of the copper.

Specifications

Composition: Copper-Plated Zinc: 2.5% Cu, Balance Zn
Weight: 2.500 g
Diameter: 0.750 in., 19.05 mm
Thickness: 1.55 mm
Edge: Plain

Well, America did away with the half-pence but they didn't have Walmart then. Maybe Walmart should pay to keep those pennies minted, after all, it would propable be cheaper for them then doing away with the penny.

Redykeulous's photo
Wed 07/18/12 09:14 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Wed 07/18/12 09:15 PM

OH, and all those poeple out there who want to make abortion illegal, you don't care about them after they're born (see above) so why do you care before?

drinker

drinker back atchya -- it was worth posting it again too.

OH and I think your cards are beautiful (I don't believe in the reading part) but they're beautiful just the same.

Redykeulous's photo
Wed 07/18/12 09:09 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Wed 07/18/12 09:11 PM
The Working Poor

According to the US Census Bureau, in 2010, 21 million people lived in working-poor families. This translates into nearly 9.6 percent of all American families living below 100 percent of poverty have at least one family member working.

Working Poor Facts

•Female-headed households were more than twice as likely to be among the working poor as male-headed households in 2008.
•Among families with at least one member working at least half a year, families with children were 4 times more likely than families without children to live in poverty in 2008.iii
•According to a survey on hunger and homelessness conducted by the United States Conference of Mayors, 88.5% of cities participating in the survey cited unemployment as one of three major causes of hunger in their city.
•Thirty-nine percent of all adults served by Feeding America have completed high school or equivalent degree with no further education beyond high school. ii
•34 percent of all households served by Feeding America have had to choose between paying for food and paying for medicine or medical care. ii
• Sixty-five percent of working families that received SNAP were single-parent families.

Texas will refuse to expand Medicaid under the new healthcare. This creates a coverage gap for workers. You see,

“The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has announced that people below 133 percent of the poverty line in states that refuse the Medicaid expansion will not be assessed a penalty for not purchasing insurance that is unaffordable to them.”

Well that’s good because they couldn't afford to pay the penalty either.

If Texas refuses to expand Medicaid then many thousands of hard working people, and their children will not have affordable access to healthcare. That should make a lot of Texans happy, right? Yea – good going Texas who cares about those people who work as maids, cleaning people, nanny’s, and who take care of the elderly and those people who take part-time jobs because they can’t find anything else – and the heck with their kids too.

But you know, those people still get sick, they still take their kids to the emergency room, and without the ability to pay for medicine, there will likely be a lot emergency room visits --- WHO PAYS FOR THAT? It won’t come from the Federal government

“States have many good reasons to expand their Medicaid coverage. It will create a healthier workforce, bring jobs into the state by increasing the demand for health care and other goods and services, and provide greater economic security for millions of families. And it’s almost entirely covered by the federal government, which is paying 100 percent of the costs for the first two years and 90 percent of the costs in the long term”

Good thinking Texas, and all the other states who have claimed they will not expand Medicaid either. Sounds like more tax revenue will have to be collected.

OH, and all those poeple out there who want to make abortion illegal, you don't care about them after they're born (see above) so why do you care before?

Oh- and all those poor people who won’t be able to afford birth control on their poverty wages – looks like you’ll have a lot of starving kids in Texas, you have to build some tough skin to see that every day and still be able to blame them for their situation and walk away indignant - but don’t worry apparently most of you never noticed it before, why should that change.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/15/12 10:52 PM

whatever I call myself doesnt EXCUSE or CAUSE the systemic discrepancies,,,
why can I not aknowledge being AMERICAN and having AFRICAN ancestry? why is that perpetuating any 'sub culture'?

If an individual wants to self-identify as African American as a means of group affiliation, it is no different than any other label which servers the same purpose, which is to recognize others with whom you share a commonality. If the desire is to acknowledge common links to the past, like how I came to be born an American, then I agree that the group designation should not excuse or cause the propagation of racism.

Does that definition for African American suffice as the exclusive reason for some people to refer to African Americans as “my people”?

there is no excuse here Redy

my statement is not about 'my' oppression, as it keeps trying to be switched to in this thread

its about SYSTEMIC oppression

so when we can DOCUMENT the disparities along RACIAL lines of progress in areas like education, or medicine, or socioeconomic status , or justice

Perhaps the terms used throughout this thread have caused confusion: African American, racism, my people, slavery, implicit & systemic, and discrimination - or - perhaps after hearing these words related consistently,even outside of this thread, some of us are left with the idea that African Americans tend to think of themselves as the only target of racism of any kind.

Which could be the explanation for the question that was asked of you - how has such discrimination affected you? It was a logical question becasue is racism against African Americans is so systemic than associating one's self to the term (African Americans) as 'my people' leads others to think you have suffered some oppressive form of racism.

To discuss discrimination “along racial lines” we have to include all racial minorities because it is not only “African” Americans (my people) who are subject to the kind of implicit and systemic racism we have been discussing.

If I use the definition of African American, the group identity I described at the start of this post, we would have to agree that not all people of color are African Americans – so I’m not sure why the term was ever introduced to the thread to begin with.

Perhaps it's due to the bias of my own experience as previously stated.

perhaps after hearing these words related consistently,even outside of this thread, some of us are left with the idea that African Americans tend to think of themselves as the only target of racism of any kind.

I dont need to personally have been a VICTIM to recognize a trend happening

Of course not – and several of us have supported the idea that racism is on-going with examples. And some of us have noted that racial minorities other than self-identifying African Americans are victims of the same discrimination.

I can likewise look at DEMOGRAPHIC TRENDS and discuss the disparities witnessed without necessarily having to provide some PERSONAL Experience with them,, especially with any type of bigotry that will always come down in a one on one situation to proving INTENT And MOTIVATION which one is just not going to do on a social forum,,,,

So then – how did the term African American and the ‘my people’ association come up in this conversation?

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 07/13/12 10:37 PM

what makes 'my people' my people isnt that we merely ahe similar racial features, it is the RACIAL HISTORY We share

If we were still living in the 1960s, then what you say would make sense, but we are now living in the second decade of the 21st Century.
Instead of looking at way things are now, you appear to be looking backwards at the way things were before you were born.

In a previous post, you cited studies that show what appears to be continued residual systemic racism. However, you have not cited any specific example of you being the victim of any systemic racism.
If you can do that, then your argument would be more believable.

thats just it, systemic racism is about the INSTITUTION/SYSTEM, not about individual instances.

the information I provided about discrepancies within the judicial and educational systems ARE examples of systemic racism

my experiences with PERSONAL situations wouldnt serve as proof of the systemic situation,,,

I've steared away from this part of the discussion specifically to see how it would develop and the same time examine my own bias pertaining to the "my people" issue.

Background: In the 70s I was completely empethetic to the plight of 'African Americans'. Keep in mind that in my youngest days everyone around me used words like negro and colored. Colored was suppose to be a better word becasue it reference 'people of color' rather than having any previous bad connotation. But in the 70s the PC term was 'African American'. I bought that term becasue it was a self-referntial designation and I wanted to be repectful.

I made several efforts to suggest ways that my high school could help the racial tensions that were so volitile. I was told by 'African American' group members, in not so nice terms, to stay out of it they didn't want any help from the white oppressors...

That kind of attitude IS part of the implicit racism that still exists today but that part exists not in the white institutions but in the black institutions. More recently I have noticed a huge reconcilition as Black Christian congregations have begun to unite with White Christian congregation to fight the prejudice and bigotries that exist on so many fronts today.

I think we are making advances in racial equality but we have to admit that the systemic racism that still exists, is not one-sided.

Additionally I would like to relate another, more recent, experience that continues to keep me thinking and self-evaluating. I made a move to the inner-city, not the up-town section either because the only things that keep me out of mordib poverty are living on student loans and a fabulout P/T job that provides me with health and dental insurance.

What I have witnessed and experience here is a melding of ethnicities. I have seen some of the most beautiful children with so many mixtures in their blood and so many kids and adults ignoring physical charachteristics. Black people can no longer be considred African American - not in my neck of the woods.

But that does not preclude some Black people from having the attitude that they are African American 'people' who have a heritage of slavery. That is a systemic part of continuing racism.

This is an excellent post...did I say that loud enough...EXCELLENT......!!! Thank you for posting "personal".....It's the best source....Based on my own personal experience, I feel your post is 100% correct...

Thanks for the supportive response. I continue to assess my own biases with every report and study I read about discrimination. It's a topic that involves so many dimensions, it's hard not to evolve with so much input from so many different perspectives.

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 07/13/12 10:30 PM
do you believe it is inaccurate for black people to be AWARE That they are seen and TREATED As african americans who have a heritage of slavery?

Yes. Why is it that we have to reference people of color as African Americans? How many generations have to be born here before people assume a national identity?

Secondly, there has been so much intermingling of ethnicities in the United States that we have blue eyed black people and nappy haired white people – who claim to be African American and any of those people may have grown up speaking Spanish, Mexican, or Portugeuse… in their home.

So in the context of the quote above, we might assume that the term African American is not a source of pride but rather a self-imposed ‘Scarlet Letter’ that has been embroidered into the fabric of a sub-culture who uses the term as a blanket excuse to (as the OP title suggests) use the ‘race card’.

the way that humsn born with breasts and a uterus become AWARE That they are seen and treated as what has been agreed to be called 'female'?

As stated earlier in the thread, gender bias is vastly different from racism so the comparison between gender awareness and African American awareness is absurd.

dont see the problem with aknowledging that part of the reality of how many of us have come to be in America

What of all the people who voluntarily migrated from various African states who have become American citizens – are they African Americans? How would you suggest they self-reference? What is it about the term ‘African American’ that applies to some and not others?

My answer would be sub-cultural enculturation rather than any direct link to a family history of slavery.

or the reality of how most others are PERCEIVED and therefore TREATED As if they came to America as slaves...

I think you mean how those who adhere to the sub-cultural concept of “my people the African Americans” perceive their own lack of power to control their lives as being attributed to being treated as if they came here as slaves. That perception is handed down through their sub-cultural roots in BOTH implicit and systematic ways – not unlike ‘some’ of the actual discrimination that they may face.

its really a chicken or the egg dilemma

IF I stop considering myself as AFrican American because my ancestors arrived here on slave ships from Africa,,,will that stop me being considered an AFrican American by those who look at me and come to the conclusion that my history in America began there?

The question has been asked – Can you relate any personal instances of suffering from implicit or systematic racism. That’s a REALLY important question because when people assume that they lack internal control to rise above their situation, they naturally blame external opposition. Such opposition is well documented in some areas like, criminal prosecution (or persecution) but is it less documented in other areas because it only exists as a misguided cultural perception?

or is it that
if people can stop TREATING me and VIEWING Me as 'merely' someone whose ancestors arrived from AFrican on slave ships (notice I have no problem being recognized that way because it is TRUTH), I would then stop aknowledging that as my truth,,,? and why should anyone start AVOIDING that truth?

One person’s truth can only apply to that one person. When an individual assumes or accepts the role of the oppressed, that a person will perceive their own lack of internal control as being suppressed by external forces. Why do you think you are oppressed? What specific incidents of implicit or systematic racism have led to your oppression? No answer is required, just questions to make you think.

Could it be that, like me, if you cannot work to resolve racism from within ‘the group’, that you are simply one of the white oppressors? In other words, if you are not part of the ‘in-group’ then you are part of the ‘out-group’ and you must give up the right to wear the scarlet letter. What affect would that have on how you view your geneology?

its so much deeper than asthetics, and I Realise there is blending, but it is still true that in our culture the OUTSIDE APPEARANCE is what leads to much of the assumption and preconception about behavior and ability and value,,

I believe that the assumption being made about physical characteristics may have been accurate in the past, but it no longer serves as an adequate reason for the claim of discrimination.

Have you ever heard the phrase: “it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt” ? In many cases verbal communication, behaviors, and attitude are more important factors that can lead an individual to believe he or she has been the victim of racism. Unfortunately, we tend to stereotype groups of people with similar characteristic and personal attributes. There is no doubt that part of the perceived victimization stems from the individuals own sub-cultural norms.

If retaining the history of one’s heritage requires adhering to sub-cultural norms, attitudes, and beliefs, without incorporating the more normative attitudes and beliefs of the primary culture then what will occur is self-inflicted segregation. Terms, like African American tend to be one of the structural components of said segregation.

assumptions and preconceptions which continue to fuel the SYSTEMIC discrimination we witness within the social , educational, judicial, and even healthcare institutions,,,

(social) There is definitely systemic social discrimination, I know from personal experiences, that it is much harder for White people to access social assistance programs than it is for minorities and there are far less of such programs available to Whites. (probably not the association you were looking for but it’s another side of the coin)

(educational) Our entire educational system has failed in many ways, one is a lack of funding in the poorer areas where families are not able to pay more taxes, or contribute financial support for programs in their local schools. Another is the failing of parents and the lack of parenting skills combined with the perpetuation of sub-cultural beliefs which become the excuses for behaviors that are associated with a stereotypical view of a group. Perceived discrimination often follows (that’s why it’s systemic, it thrives in systematic ways).

(healthcare institutions) There are some issues within healthcare that tend to be associated with racism, and some are but often they are the innocent types of discrimination. When a patient has no health care insurance or only minimal benefits, many health care professionals offer less treatment options or lower cost options with the knowledge that even those may not be affordable for their patients. But there are so many other barriers that prevent proper care and a portion of them are due to sub-cultural beliefs and norms. It should be noted here that no single minority corners the market on lower levels of health care and we also have to recognize that much the healthcare concerns deal with gender disparity rather that racism.

(judicial – is well documented form of the racism as has been discussed. There have been many suggestions for corrective measures and the issues continue to be studied and attempts have been made to correct some problems, but it’s an issue that is multi-dimensional and will require huge structural changes which will be costly to states and localities. The greater the cost and the more intrusive the fix the harder it is to get put into place. Not a good excuse but an excuse that implicates a wider systemic problem, lack of motivation to force these changes by the white majority who are least affected by the issue.

One last ‘thinking out loud’ comment:
Could it be that keeping the label (African American) is part of keeping the excuse for perpetuating a sub-cultural attitude?
“I’m African American, my schools are bad, I’m discriminated against, I’m oppressed.”
The idea that only African Americans, whose outward physical attributes do not neatly fit into a single category, live in poverty, attend terrible school districts, lack quality healthcare and are deprived of equal opportunity to succeed - has been dispelled.

If a person claims that discrimination prevented a chosen course of action but the individual goes on to achieve or surpass the target goal, than we cannot necessarily consider the original claim of discrimination as attributed to systemic racism. That type of situation and claim are very often mistaken to be systemic racism when the case was isolated to the prejudice of another individual. You know – like in the constant claim that not all Christians believe and act like every other Christian.

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 07/13/12 04:43 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Fri 07/13/12 04:46 PM

what makes 'my people' my people isnt that we merely ahe similar racial features, it is the RACIAL HISTORY We share

If we were still living in the 1960s, then what you say would make sense, but we are now living in the second decade of the 21st Century.
Instead of looking at way things are now, you appear to be looking backwards at the way things were before you were born.

In a previous post, you cited studies that show what appears to be continued residual systemic racism. However, you have not cited any specific example of you being the victim of any systemic racism.
If you can do that, then your argument would be more believable.

thats just it, systemic racism is about the INSTITUTION/SYSTEM, not about individual instances.

the information I provided about discrepancies within the judicial and educational systems ARE examples of systemic racism

my experiences with PERSONAL situations wouldnt serve as proof of the systemic situation,,,

I've steared away from this part of the discussion specifically to see how it would develop and the same time examine my own bias pertaining to the "my people" issue.

Background: In the 70s I was completely empethetic to the plight of 'African Americans'. Keep in mind that in my youngest days everyone around me used words like negro and colored. Colored was suppose to be a better word becasue it reference 'people of color' rather than having any previous bad connotation. But in the 70s the PC term was 'African American'. I bought that term becasue it was a self-referntial designation and I wanted to be repectful.

I made several efforts to suggest ways that my high school could help the racial tensions that were so volitile. I was told by 'African American' group members, in not so nice terms, to stay out of it they didn't want any help from the white oppressors...

That kind of attitude IS part of the implicit racism that still exists today but that part exists not in the white institutions but in the black institutions. More recently I have noticed a huge reconcilition as Black Christian congregations have begun to unite with White Christian congregation to fight the prejudice and bigotries that exist on so many fronts today.

I think we are making advances in racial equality but we have to admit that the systemic racism that still exists, is not one-sided.

Additionally I would like to relate another, more recent, experience that continues to keep me thinking and self-evaluating. I made a move to the inner-city, not the up-town section either because the only things that keep me out of mordib poverty are living on student loans and a fabulout P/T job that provides me with health and dental insurance.

What I have witnessed and experience here is a melding of ethnicities. I have seen some of the most beautiful children with so many mixtures in their blood and so many kids and adults ignoring physical charachteristics. Black people can no longer be considred African American - not in my neck of the woods.

But that does not preclude some Black people from having the attitude that they are African American 'people' who have a heritage of slavery. That is a systemic part of continuing racism.

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 07/13/12 04:18 PM

Me bad.
He's just the leader who wants whitey and non-believers killed off.
I forgot about elgiah pajamas starting the terrorist organization.

I dont know of any current plans or interests in 'killing off' non believers,,,,

His muslim brothers all over the world are busy doing just that, as we speak.
Hmmmmm.

Im sure plenty of 'christians' are committing terrible acts around the world at this moment too,,,has nothing to do with my personal wishes though,,,

Bet they are not doing it in the name of Christianity. Bet they are not raised to believe it is their Christian duty to do that. We can give clear evidence of this for Muslims. Please give us evidence Christians are doing this.

no, but they do it in the name of 'democracy' or 'patriotism' or 'national defense'

who cares?, the victims sure dont

if the christian reference is too uncomfortable, let me use another analogy

Im sure plenty of 'americans' (soldiers) have been (HISTORICALLY) and continue to be committing terrible acts around the world at this moment too,,,has nothing to do with my personal wishes though,,,

Americans (politicians) also help fund atrocities, but that has nothing to do with what I personally want just because I Am also an american

using the minority to define the majority continues to be a fail ,,,,,,

See since you can't defend your argument you change it. Do you even remember the argument? It was about justified vs unjustified prejudice. As long as any group poses a threat to people there will be prejudices there. According to Daniel Pipes, Harvard Author and Arabologist 10-15% of Muslims are radical, but in Europe it's closer to 50% and the US is closer to 80%. That isn't a minority. Even the 10*15% chance is pretty big when you know how violent they cab be.

So let me ask you --- what emotion is tied to prejudice and why does it 'justifies' some prejudice but not other prejudices?

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 07/13/12 04:07 PM

Muslim is muslim is muslim. They all follow the same doctrine and believe the pedophile mohamed is their prophet.
So, yes, it's safe to say eugene's islam is the same as the rest.

then Christian is Christian is Christian. If you read my post above this one - do you think I will catch hell for using the same comparison? I do becasue not all Christians, contrary to what most of them claim, believe the same thing or in the same way.

Since we know for fact that not all Christians hole the same attitudes and beliefs - then we know that idea must generalize to other religious populations - therefore, muslims can be as different in their beliefs and attitudes as Christians.

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 07/13/12 03:58 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Fri 07/13/12 04:01 PM

Me bad.
He's just the leader who wants whitey and non-believers killed off.
I forgot about elgiah pajamas starting the terrorist organization.

I dont know of any current plans or interests in 'killing off' non believers,,,,

His muslim brothers all over the world are busy doing just that, as we speak.
Hmmmmm.

Im sure plenty of 'christians' are committing terrible acts around the world at this moment too,,,has nothing to do with my personal wishes though,,,

Bet they are not doing it in the name of Christianity. Bet they are not raised to believe it is their Christian duty to do that. We can give clear evidence of this for Muslims. Please give us evidence Christians are doing this.

American Christians went to Africa to bolster Christian hostility toward gays and lesbians. In Uganda, it was Christians who supported the death penalty for gays and lesbians.

In this country, children as young as 14 have been censored from radio programs for thier hostile attitude and verbal hatred of gays and lesbians. Pastors have recently been taped preaching to their congregations things like - they (gays & lesbians) should rounded up and put in a gated community until they die.

Christians in this country (male and female)in the past and present, have played a major role in limiting the freedom and equal opportunites of women.

Christians in this country are insisting on teaching public school children illogical concepts as an alternative to science. WHY IS THAT A REALLY BAD IDEA?

Well, recently North Carolina wanted to pass a law that would forbid scientists from making reports about rising sea levels derived from using the latest scientifically designed tools for calculations. The state's reason was that such data would hurt the coastal development in that state.

The language in the legislation was adjusted before being passed. The state reps now want the scientists to look at the ‘so-called’ scientific literature that debunks rising water levels and would like scientist to re-evaluate their findings by incorporating what they learn….DUH!!!! oops offtopic

So back to one of the branches that shot off the topic - How far do trust such mentality, how much rope do you give it, before you fear that words and illogical concepts will become violent acts?

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 07/13/12 03:30 PM

once again...it 's NOT a question of color...it's a question of class...

AND ONCE AGAIN - I repeat:

What is it about 'class' that causes racism and other bias to continue?

I asked before to give you an opportunity to join the discussion in a meaningful way.

As you or original statement stands, it has different connotations and rather than make assumptions I asked for further input about the statement.

Would you like to join the discussion becuase I would like to hear how you relate class to racism and other bias?

Redykeulous's photo
Thu 07/12/12 04:00 PM

I do think most people dont understand it, yes. Especially throughout the years IVe been discussing it online, its amazing what people 'think' the laws say and what they ACTUALLY say.

So try being an employer trying to manage it accurately!

That's why it's important for employers to either have the knowledge necessary, or to higher a well educated human resource manager. The cost of that higher salary is worth it in the long run.

Redykeulous's photo
Thu 07/12/12 03:57 PM
Did you mean "avenues of redress" in that first paragraph?

Yes - I could attribute your insight to woman's intuition but I don't want to show any gender bias.

No, I don't consider this post mostly angst, but much of it is common sense and some of it I do not agree with...
Entrepreneurial and ground floor entry into newly formed businesses are both ideal ways for women to fast track to high level, high paying jobs...Entry level into new business would be the easiest and would involve far less risk...But Redy, that is NOT the only way and it is not necessarily the best way for women to climb the corporate ladder...A "happy", well adjusted, highly productive, highly motivated woman with an ability to lead and impeccable work ethic can also rise to the top in a reasonable amount of time....The glass ceiling was shattered long ago....

I do consider the things you posted and will continue to, but give women credit...Many do see the big picture and are proceeding accordingly....The great economic gains made during the past century could not have been made if peeps were guilty of tunnel vision....That comment is very easy to make because you are either forgetting or purposefully leaving out the fact that hindsight is 20/20...We have NOT lost everything, we have just come close...A learning experience perhaps?....

I appreciate your response and the good points you have made. Sometimes I reply directly to another person's post but sometimes I include comments within the reply for the benefit of other posters involved in the thread - like the reminder that there is a bigger picture.

I agree, there is gender discrimination but considering the attempted gender-biased legislation we've been exposed to in the last few years I'm not as optimistic about our (women)level of achievement. - that's ok though, it just make me want to maintain the effort.

On the other hand, I appreciate optimism which is why I consider the current social, economic, and environmental issues to be an opportunity for making changes but I don't necessarily think that 'fixing' some of the old stuff is progress, some things simply require full scale change.

Redykeulous's photo
Thu 07/12/12 03:29 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Thu 07/12/12 04:15 PM
I like my post better

:wink: they're all good posts when they continue to inspire discussion.

...I'm not going back into my history to pull the link for you, but I will give you a huge hint, start with the state of Michigan....THEY AMENDED as did two other states and two more are considering for a total of five...

Oh – so that’s in regards to the states that have considered Affirmative Action bans particularly targeting College admissions, including: Texas, Michigan, Nebraska, Colorado, Arizona, Missouri, Oklahoma and California.

Washington State simply banned all government agencies from any form of discrimination in employment, agency processes, and education which, of course, disallows the use of equalizing factors that have been inherent in the federal AA guidelines.

Missouri did not make it to the ballot, not enough signatures. Colorado struck it down; Oklahoma failed in 2008 but is on ballot for Nov. 2012.

Michigan has been prevented from implementing their ban because the courts perceived a direct conflict between the Michigan constitution and the new law (to ban). So far Michigan has refused to make changes that would allow both laws to exit – so that one is still up in the air.

California and Texas have, so far, won any court battles, but there are still some in the pipeline and Nebraska colleges also dealing with the effect of and AA bans.

California and Texas – two of the earliest to ban AA in colleges had noticed some wide disparities in the diversity of their populations. The institutions were allowed to develop their own strategies to be complicit with their states laws. [

quote] April 3, 2012
The university has tried to compensate for the drop in those students by using other admissions criteria, including a "comprehensive review" of applicants, admitting the top 4 percent of graduates from any high school and decreasing the weight of standardized tests, the opinion said.
But affirmative action proponents say the measures have not been enough to boost opportunities for historically excluded minorities.

So they’re still working on other avenues to assure they have diverse and inclusive campuses and I certainly respect their efforts.
Texas has had more luck with this strategy:

In Texas, students in the top 10 percent of high schools are automatically admitted to the public university system, a policy that does not consider race but increases racial diversity in part because so many high schools are racially homogenous.

Nebraska is still experimenting as their universities had developed strong diversity programs for outreach, recruiting and assistance programs that were targeting particular diverse groups. Now they are illegal. Their programs were designed to reach,assist and persuade the best of those populations to apply. They have lost some funding and associations with grantors who only funded because of the inclusive nature of the programs. Nebraska is tying a different approach to try to maintain diversity –

include two new essay questions — both optional — on UNL’s admissions application. One allows students to explain how they’ve contributed to diversity, and the other invites students to write about obstacles they’ve overcome.

The open-ended nature of the questions allows applicants to interpret “diversity” as they wish, Munier said.

The essays also will allow UNL to identify potential scholarship recipients based on factors beyond race and gender: A student who writes about becoming the first in his or her family to apply for college might stand out, for instance, as could a low-income student or a student from rural Nebraska seeking to add to UNL’s geographic diversity.

Obviously the ‘fix’ for AA is not a simple matter of state legislation. In fact AA guidelines were established to be the simplest and most economic way of bridging the gaps that exist between minority populations and the social inequalities that stem from innumerable sources.

It was originally thought that existing inequalities would begin to fade with desegregation and federally legislated Acts specifically targeted at protecting the rights and opportunities of minority people. But we have failed to successfully address discrimination at the appropriate levels – like our primary public school systems, for one. Our judicial systems, from congressional penal legislation to protective services up to the Supreme Court levels have failed minorities miserably as well.

We are looking for root causes but they will never be found as long as the ‘majority’ is unable or unwilling to see and acknowledge that both implicit and overt forms of discrimination are as widespread as they really are.

I personally don't AA is the ultimate answer - it designed to be bridge the problems that were suppose to be resolved. But they won't be resolved until 'equality' is not a matter of legislation but a matter of social desirablity.

EDIT: lots of grammar error in the above - tying to do too many things as once, I think. My appreciation to those who try to muddle through it.

Redykeulous's photo
Thu 07/12/12 10:54 AM

“there were 98 female CEOs of 3,049 publicly traded companies analyzed by research company GMI.” The total number of women represents 3.2% of the total company CEOs, an increase of .1 percent from last year.":thumbsup:

If memory still serves me, I think it was 2 years ago that women exceeded the 4 year college graduation rate of men. Recent studies indicate that women are currently filling managment positions in greater numbers than men simply becasue they are paid less.

Kinda makes ya think...mmm... so when the smoke clears the unemployment rate begins to return to normal - meaning that men rejoin the the workforce, will they be working for less pay than the women they will be hired under? Remember, those women were hired for less to begin with, so could that mean that men (in general) will be making less then women. That would be a fine turn of the table.

I hope not...The "poetic" pleasure would be short lived and I don't think women are that stupid or rhat naive...

I think a great amount of naivety exists in the general public. There are few remnants of private sector unions hanging on by a thread, and the number of people who have always enjoyed government supported unionization are also declining because many state are privitizing large sections of their public sector and many states have begun that process by privitizing the highest paid employees, the human resourse araea and management. All those employees are now subject to the private sector pay for production competitie wages rather than the merit program most govermnet employees fall under.

Unemployment and underemployment has hit men harder than women. Of the unskilled labor, who once enjoyed middle income benefits of unionized industry, will not be returning to those kinds of jobs.

Woman are happy right now to take .80 of the dollar for a mans job becuase it may be the only income a family has. Women out of college have typically always received less pay than men being hired in the same position. With more women graduating with large student loan debt, it makes sense to think that more women are getting those jobs.

Even if the minimum wage is upped to $10.00 an hour, that barely covers the amount of inflation in the last decade. So it's unlikely that such a move would have an effect on the wages of those who already earn more than 10 an hour.

Severe weather patterns are causing a world wide food crisis, this will not only affect the purchase power of people at the grocery store, it will affect the whoe food production, processing,transportation and container manufacturing industries. More unemployment is on the horizon.

Problems will compounded by the number of homeless as severe weather contines to destroy property. The government cannot cannot continue to direct funding to cover major catastrophy insurance shortfalls.

We are already in the process of austerity programs in which several states are discontinuing pention payments to retirees, and pention funding for employees.

We have a long way to go and I think women are smart to take the jobs they can get, to go back and further their education, and in the long run, it's hard to even fathom that when work retuns to the unemployed that it will be consistent with the rates of pay and benefits that once existed.

I wasn't referring to the general public, I was referring to the women running big business...

Women are not happy to take .77 on the $ for any reason(s)....We take it because FOR NOW we are stuck with it and because we know once we get our foot in the door and prove our worth we can re-negotiate....And before you start, this goes for entry level jobs too....

The rest of your post is angst....

Being happy and being pragmatic have different effects on behavior. Women who go with the 'happy' effect will find themselves out of a job becasue there is simply too much competition with others, even men, who are pragmatic enough to take that lessor paying job. Of course this is speaking to new employment and not to promotion. But we have been discussing the avenues of regress that are available to woment who are discriminated against by their employers.

The rest of that post was an explanation supporting the notion that we will not return to the previous state of normal with regards to pay and benefits.

At this point women are rising to highest levels of managemnt and ownership by creating their own organizations or joining newer ones at the ground level. The pay will not be what current 'fortune' corporations pay their upper most managment but there is more job satisfaction for such women and thus better quality of life.

We need to understand the great big picture and that our current laws are a very small part of picture. We are affected by so many other global economic and environmental issues that we have to face the fact that even OUR laws may no longer insulate us against those outside forces.

Certainly we need to be discussing them, but to do so without considering the bigger picture assumes that those laws insulate us from those larger issues.

The great economic gains of the middle class in the last century were achieved from inside that insulated view. We have lost it all becuase we did not consider the effects of our behavior on the rest of the world.

You can consider that more angst but at least consider it.

1 2 3 5 7 8 9 24 25