Community > Posts By > Redykeulous

Redykeulous's photo
Wed 05/02/12 11:39 AM

I would tend to agree with both of you.

With regard to the statement
unless it turns into ACTIONS,,,,

it should be noted that those ACTIONS are everywhere around us.

While I know that there are many people who do not agree with such actions when it comes - particularly - to legislation which attempts to enter religious morality into the law, what non-religious see are those actions and they are taken with the support of millions of people.

That means that people who view their relious values as personal, often go unrecognized and instead get grouped by a label as being one of them.

Unless religion is benign to a society as a whole, there will be conflict and labels and little tolerance for any religious values.

Sorry, just stating the truth - as cliche as it sounds, many of longest and deepest friendships have been with deeply religious people. I know there is a difference between their ACTIONS and the ACTIONS of millions of others.

So like Msharmony, I tend to give respect first but that does little to address the problems of tolerance we face.

Good to have your responses. I know that both of you deserve my respect, even though we still may try to persuade each other to think in different ways. :wink:

Since every law is born from a system of values and beliefs, aren't they all legislating morality?...Is there really any difference between morality and religious morality?....Laws are not legislated "just" to be enforced when they are broken, they are also legislated to teach or influence us...Like it or not, laws play a part in shaping our beliefs and ACTIONS, good or bad....As far as I'm concerned, trying to seperate morality from law would not only be destructive, it would be impossible...Legislating morality is not the issue, deciding which moral system should be legal is the issue....

yes, and pinpointing what 'system' owns any particular moral,,,is also a dilemma

would you like to elaborate?

sure, pinpointing whether value of human life stems from 'religion'

or if religion is one of MANY things that stem from the value of human life,,,

for instance

pinpointing whether the idea of a man and woman in marriage stems from 'religion' specifically, or if religion stemmed for a congregation of writers who already HAD that idea of marriage,,,,

,,just for a couple of examples,,

pinpointing whether value of human life stems from 'religion'
or if religion is one of MANY things that stem from the value of human life,,,

I’m not sure I understand what you are taking issue with.

In the United States, when changes or additions to law are proposed, what things should we consider or questions should we ask before implementing legislation to that effect?

for instance
pinpointing whether the idea of a man and woman in marriage stems from 'religion' specifically, or if religion stemmed for a congregation of writers who already HAD that idea of marriage,,,,

Why does that matter? In other words, how does that influence what things we should consider, or questions we ask before implementing legislation to that effect?

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 05/01/12 12:21 AM
You did notice the date of that broadcast - didn't you?

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 04/30/12 11:33 PM

While I know that there are many people who do not agree with such actions when it comes - particularly - to legislation which attempts to enter religious morality into the law, what non-religious see are those actions and they are taken with the support of millions of people.

That means that people who view their relious values as personal, often go unrecognized and instead get grouped by a label as being one of them.

Unless religion is benign to a society as a whole, there will be conflict and labels and little tolerance for any religious values.

Sorry, just stating the truth - as cliche as it sounds, many of longest and deepest friendships have been with deeply religious people. I know there is a difference between their ACTIONS and the ACTIONS of millions of others.

So like Msharmony, I tend to give respect first but that does little to address the problems of tolerance we face.

Good to have your responses. I know that both of you deserve my respect, even though we still may try to persuade each other to think in different ways. :wink:

Since every law is born from a system of values and beliefs, aren't they all legislating morality?...Is there really any difference between morality and religious morality?....Laws are not legislated "just" to be enforced when they are broken, they are also legislated to teach or influence us...Like it or not, laws play a part in shaping our beliefs and ACTIONS, good or bad....As far as I'm concerned, trying to seperate morality from law would not only be destructive, it would be impossible...Legislating morality is not the issue, deciding which moral system should be legal is the issue....

yes, and pinpointing what 'system' owns any particular moral,,,is also a dilemma

would you like to elaborate?

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 04/30/12 11:32 PM
Since every law is born from a system of values and beliefs, aren't they all legislating morality?...Is there really any difference between morality and religious morality?....

Here are some quotes from a recent article –The laws in the Middle East are based on morality which is dictated through religious belief. These are not laws I would willingly subscribe to, would you? Likewise, I do not subscribe to any law or proposed law that would limit my freedom and liberty and disenfranchises my equality no matter what morality that law stems from.

“When an article in the Egyptian criminal code says that if a woman has been beaten by her husband "with good intentions" no punitive damages can be obtained,…”

“Horrific news reports about 12-year-old girls dying in childbirth do little to stem the tide of child marriage there. Instead, demonstrations in support of child marriage outstrip those against it, fueled by clerical declarations that opponents of state-sanctioned pedophilia are apostates because the Prophet Mohammed, according to them, married his second wife, Aisha, when she was a child.”

Commenting on Saudi Arabia -
“15 girls died in a school fire in Mecca in 2002, after "morality police" barred them from fleeing the burning building -- and kept firefighters from rescuing them -- because the girls were not wearing headscarves and cloaks required in public. And nothing happened. No one was put on trial. Parents were silenced.”

“… the country where a gang-rape survivor was sentenced to jail for agreeing to get into a car with an unrelated male and needed a royal pardon; Saudi Arabia, where a woman who broke the ban on driving was sentenced to 10 lashes and again needed a royal pardon;”

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/04/23/why_do_they_hate_us?page=full

Laws are not legislated "just" to be enforced when they are broken, they are also legislated to teach or influence us...Like it or not, laws play a part in shaping our beliefs and ACTIONS, good or bad....

My understanding of “our” law is that it is created for the purpose of ensuring individual rights of liberty, freedom , and equality, as far as it is possible without infringing on the same rights of others, while still maintaining a civil society.

As for the educational value of our laws, it is true that sometimes a law is required to remind some people that other people are considered equal in the eye of the law – the Civil Rights Act, Age discrimination Act, Americans with Disabilites Act, they, and many others teach us that we should respect everyone in accordance with standards set forth by the founding premises for our country.

But I’m not sure that the law shapes our beliefs as much as our law (U.S.), is a reflection of what shapes our culture. The statutory laws noted as Acts, are congressional enactments which reflected a necessary change to keep up with the changes in the cultural climate. In addition to statutory law, there is common law, regulatory and judicial law. All of those components provide flexibility to allow for cultural change.

The examples of law, provided from the article are from countries in the Middle East in which religion dictates to law. That is a moral system of law. Our civil code is not based on such a rigid standard, rather it has developed over time as a direct response to changes in attitudes & cultural conditions.

However, there is one element if rigidity in our law and it is intentional, which is that the federal constitution and most of the state constitutions were created to be very difficult to change. This is why we find so many obscure laws still on the books – like how much a person can be fined for not cleaning up after their ‘hitched’ horse.

So it’s very important that when new statutory laws are enacted, that we make sure the morality within the new law meets the standards under which our country was formed and has taken shape, basically; freedom, liberty, justice, and equality.

As far as I'm concerned, trying to seperate morality from law would not only be destructive, it would be impossible...Legislating morality is not the issue, deciding which moral system should be legal is the issue...

I think we are basically in agreement but I would add that we are not looking for a moral system rather we are looking for legal avenues by which to extend the individual rights of liberty, freedom, and equality as far as it is possible without infringing on the same rights of others, while still maintaining a civil society.

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 04/30/12 09:42 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Mon 04/30/12 09:43 PM
Ok – I just spent over an hour considering a response to Creative's last few posts before I began to review the earlier discussion, one more time.

There are many points that can argued but it occurs to me that the sum total of any individual’s knowledge, defined by you, Creative as

Belief can be true or false. Knowledge cannot be false.

is but a very tiny fraction, if existent at all, of the sum total of information which any given individual equates with knowledge.

Example
Are you denying that I know what red hair is?

If you see the same hair in the dark, what color is the hair?
If the range of light changes, it’s possible to see that same head of hair as green, do you believe me?
So let’s test your knowledge (which cannot be false) - What color do you see when you see the color white?
What color do you see when you see the color black?

Perhaps you can explain why you call White ‘white’ and Black ‘black’ as being knowledge when that is actually a false belief? As for me, I would simply say ---- “Well, to my knowledge…” which of course you take exception to.

If I understand your position correctly, you are attempting to discover how people can discern knowledge from falsehood.

What I am saying is that unless you can put together every single piece of knowledge (that is knowledge which cannot be false) with more certainty than you have judged your knowledge of color, then we have to accept what others have already tried to explain.

Man has had to go through these stages of knowledge being all that is available at the time and no way of acquiring the next level of knowledge at that time.

But you seem to be hung up on whether information we take for knowledge(as in believe is knowledge) is in fact insufficient to be considered knowledge and in your words –

I think that you're calling false belief "knowledge", and that doing increases the difficulty of understanding the difference between belief and knowledge - and they're not equal.

At this juncture I would like for you to convince me that we even have sufficient knowledge (knowledge that cannot be false) that is available to the masses of the world in order to prevent reliance on belief for the information that helps us survive, thrive, and advance as species?

In other words, how much of what you call knowledge could people in all regions of the world utilize to determine the falsehoods of their own beliefs – which they take for knowledge?

Or perhaps the discussion should not be about knowledge and its truth value rather, it might be better to discuss why changing the opinion of others is more logical than allowing them to continue believing their particular brand of falsehood, over our own.

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 04/30/12 07:11 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Mon 04/30/12 07:13 PM

Most workers these days wander from low paying job to low paying job hand to mouth. Many do not have a pension or healthcare that is affordable.

I found the biggest bennefit to being in a union is the recall rights we all know the economy has ups and downs and if your not in a union many companies use it as an excuse to dump older workers replaceing them with younger and lower paid employees with less vacation time etc etc.

Our contract states that senority is the last laid off and the first called back.

Its well worth the fifty bucks a month I pay in union dues to have this security.

I make, not bragging cuz no one realy knowes me, 60 to 70 a year plus beneffits and a company funded pension.

Time and a half over eight and saturdays double on sundays and holidays.

I can recall when cashiers at a grocery store got overtime pay on saturdays. The country as a whole was far better off.

The ADA (age discrimination act)is legislation that does not require a union for representation.

Fifty bucks is difference between paying a bill and eating fresh produce.

Also, currently, there is little positive effect being made by unions. A large portion of their funds are designated for lobbying efforts, and used to back politicians who will side with a particular union issue.

A union's choice of candidate forces many union members to support politicians solely on that one perspective, while many of their other values do not agree with the choice.

Given the current economic conditions, capitalist cronyism, and right-to-work legislations, unions have lost their power hold. With the continueing efforts of privitization of state assests and public sector workers, there is a growing business devoted to arbitration.

It is my guess that as the economy recovers, and a younger workforce is employed, that intermittant use of arbitrators will be the most likely avenue for employee grievances.

There may even be a time when labor unions make a come-back, but at this point we are only beginning to see major changes in how business is done.

I grew up in the blue collar world where being a union member was the most prized of all worker benefits. All of my aging family members have had a comfortable retirement thanks in great part to unions. I have also been an activist against the right-to-work laws, but all the while I have been keeping up with news about unions, watching their effectiveness diminish,and leaning about future effects of current decision-makers on the economy and, in general looking at both sides of the issue.

I was once black-balled from the banking industry, and in my naivety I was unaware, until a very savvoy job consutant found out, that someone had informed the VP of the bank that I had been in contact with the teamsters about extending their union to non-bank officers.

So I understand your point of view, but at this point, I think we have to adjust and prepare for a different kind of employee grievance procedure becasue unions are no longer effective, nor do they promote free choice.

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 04/30/12 06:41 PM
Since I posted the original comments BELOW my responses, I will only quote portions which are being addressed.

1. as a christian, I may not even want a school teaching my kid about sex in the first place, in which case I can choose (like an atheist) to opt out and teach them what I want, how I want to, at home.

my personal view is that sex education does not have to include information on EVERY variation of sex, it only needs to explain how to not catch disease or where babies come from, , there is no NEED to address it as homosexual because the parts are the same regardless of the relationship,,MALE FEMALE,,,Vaginal or ANAL or oral,,,,

bringing sexual preference into it only forces parents children to be exposed to things which they may have no other reason to be exposed to,,,,children, regardless of sexual preference, do well to know where babies come from and know about the PARTS of the male or female human body.

I see it as more shoving sexual preference down impressionable kids throats to insist that homosexual be mentioned in a sex education class. Sex, Male , and Female along with the anatomy is really all thats relevant and common to EVERYONE.

Response: to number 1.
I would hope that we could agree that the best education for every child would include scientific information that has been well grounded in fact. Since religious beliefs fail the scientific test then I would likewise hope that the consensus of the vast majority would be to count them as separate categories. Religious beliefs are sufficiently abundant as to be deemed a field of study on their own – such “World religions” or simply “theology”.

For the minority who feel differently, THEY do have the option of teaching what they believe to be fact, in the privacy of their own home and avoid the need for teachers to confuse students by suggesting that religious beliefs are on the same par in useful knowledge as science.

To simply state to an adolescent (12 & up- don’t confuse the age bracket) that they can get a diseases through the sex act, is totally inadequate. If the purpose of the lesson is to prevent pregnancy, which also opposes many religious views, then providing detailed information about the options for preventing pregnancy would be logical.

BUT today, we must be concerned about many other diseases which have a strong link to sexual activity. (unless of course sticking one’s head in the ‘sand of denial’ is how one views the world.) Understanding homosexuality, bisexuality, and transgender propensity may be a vital component for bringing awareness to BOTH hetero- and homo-sexuals of how disease transmission may affect them - all.

Also, with such discussion, it is possible, and likely, that via the unbiased inclusion of this information, students, regardless of sexual identity or question of identity, will be seen as being treated equally by the educational system. Less bias on the part of authority figures tends to lead to more inclusiveness for the students.

NUMBER 2.
I dont feel 'punished' because the law doesnt see my situation with EXACTLY the same privileges (or responsibilities) as those who have committed to each other before creating and raising a child together. THat is something that should continue to be encouraged as the most IDEAL gift we can give children for their foundation in a growingly complicated world.

So we hold different opinions. My opinion is that the lack of a marriage contract, does not make it ok for someone living in my household to be violently abusive. Apparently you feel differently and think that protection against domestic violence should only pertain to married couples. Different points of view I guess.

NUMBER 3
3. As a christian, I can be prevented from raising my child if the other parent has more money or more resources because of the 'balance' that culture has legislated as expected or healthy for a child

In what court of law, in this country, can a person be prevented from raising their child just because the parent is a Christian?

I dont agree with preventing people by law from raising there children for any reason but abuse

I was not suggesting that you believe that, I was simply providing facts about what IS happening in the realm of legislation under the auspices of many Christian believers.

NUMBER 4
There are too many assumptions made in the beginning of number 4 which are partially based on the lack of acknowledgement of actual world history and some assumptions made about human’s ability to change, that are only subjective opinion. But when someone says, I am in pain, it is not generally a proper response to say – “you can change that, we can all change anything.”

WE never hear people 'blame' christians for legislation against murder even though its a pretty specific CHRISTIAN doctrine. BUt people often 'blame' christians for any other restrictive legislation if they are able to find it anywhere in a bible. As if people would not possibly hold those values and opinions without religion.

I think it would be difficult in a country founded on the principles of freedom and liberty and further developed on the basis of equality, not to find a consistent human rights factor in its laws. (human rights being those things that majority of people consider proper morality) I also find it difficult to believe that anyone would consider that violence and theft among other moralities evolved only through Christian beliefs.
However, there is no doubt that the examples of legislation which were previously presented are procuct of and based on Christians and their beliefs. (not saying that ALL Christians hold the same beliefs)

Number 5
5.As a christian, I often wonder why history only teaches about the 'good stuff' our founders achieved and doesnt mention any of their less than desirable actions or behaviors, to the point where they are REVERED even though they were no more or less flawed than any other person.

There are enough accounts of world history to fill a huge library. When a public school system teaches about its country’s history to its students, would it not make sense to teach it in a way that supports ‘nationalism’, and respect for the country, its founders, and its laws.

If you want to give credit to Christians for something, consider who made the school curriculum when public schools began? It’s their view of history that you are questioning. If you don’t believe me – check the history.

I dont know that history really deals in sexual preference even of heterosexuals unless to mention whom someone was married to, nor do I understand what sexual preference would have to do with studying achievements.

Not true – there is a wealth of ‘world’ history that deals with sexuality in all its forms. In many cases, the history has been supported and expanded through the study of anthropology and archeology. Most cultures at one time or another have accepted various forms of sexuality, and in some cases, societies have even supported homosexuality, and elevated transgendered individuals to places of honor.

Giving people credit in history for their accomplishments does not require wrapping their identity up in those labels anymore than sexual preference has anything to do with what one has accomplished, unlike race or gender which are harder to hide 'in a closet' so to speak and out in the open for all to see and put obstacles up against.

When something as important as sexual identity is hidden, it tends to be something to fear and distrust, which is why it is so important that young people be exposed to the truth about sexuality via historical documentation. Not only is it necessary for children to identify with respected heroes who are like them but it is also necessary that every child understand that heroes are not restrained or limited by their sexuality or gender.

The more children understand that sexual identity is not a factor that prohibits or limits a person’s ability, the less likely they will be to grow up with bias that segregates and diminishes the character of so-labeled individuals.

Number 6
It would help me to understand and respond to your point of view if you could provide some examples.

Original text to which I responded

alot here but I will try to address how common these issues are to both sides

1. as a christian, I may not even want a school teaching my kid about sex in the first place, in which case I can choose (like an atheist) to opt out and teach them what I want, how I want to, at home.

my personal view is that sex education does not have to include information on EVERY variation of sex, it only needs to explain how to not catch disease or where babies come from, , there is no NEED to address it as homosexual because the parts are the same regardless of the relationship,,MALE FEMALE,,,Vaginal or ANAL or oral,,,,

bringing sexual preference into it only forces parents children to be exposed to things which they may have no other reason to be exposed to,,,,children, regardless of sexual preference, do well to know where babies come from and know about the PARTS of the male or female human body.

I see it as more shoving sexual preference down impressionable kids throats to insist that homosexual be mentioned in a sex education class. Sex, Male , and Female along with the anatomy is really all thats relevant and common to EVERYONE.

2. The law doesnt forbid me from any relation I want. The law also does nothing to promote or encourage me to make the CHOICE to raise a child without a father, or to marry someone with the same parentage, than it promotes the choice of a homosexual to raise children with only one gender to guide them or to marry someone with the same anatomy.

I dont feel 'punished' because the law doesnt see my situation with EXACTLY the same privileges (or responsibilities) as those who have committed to each other before creating and raising a child together. THat is something that should continue to be encouraged as the most IDEAL gift we can give children for their foundation in a growingly complicated world.

3. As a christian, I can be prevented from raising my child if the other parent has more money or more resources because of the 'balance' that culture has legislated as expected or healthy for a child, much like the balance of mother and father that culture determines to be healthy for a child is often argued to try to deny homosexual pairings form raising children.

I dont agree with preventing people by law from raising there children for any reason but abuse. Im sure many atheists agree with me. Im also equally sure that there are many atheists who also arent too supportive of the idea of father father child rearing or mother mother child rearing. Although those who would oppose a biological parents right to raise a child must be the extreme on either side.

4. As a christian, it troubles me that people try to force the notion that humans are 'unchangable' in any character trait, tendency, preference or whatever, the same way it troubles non christians when the notion is forced that things like homosexuality CAN indeed be changed.

I believe before there were millions of christians, before there was a bible, there were people who believed those things or they would never have written them down. I believe its false logic to assume those particular objections are the effect of religion in isolation as opposed to culture, environment, and any other number of factors that help build an individuals 'values' as they grow and experience life. WE never hear people 'blame' christians for legislation against murder even though its a pretty specific CHRISTIAN doctrine. BUt people often 'blame' christians for any other restrictive legislation if they are able to find it anywhere in a bible. As if people would not possibly hold those values and opinions without religion.

5.As a christian, I often wonder why history only teaches about the 'good stuff' our founders achieved and doesnt mention any of their less than desirable actions or behaviors, to the point where they are REVERED even though they were no more or less flawed than any other person. I dont know that history really deals in sexual preference even of heterosexuals unless to mention whom someone was married to, nor do I understand what sexual preference would have to do with studying achievements.

Who a person is is not wrapped up in their sexual preference or their dietary preference or their taste in music. Giving people credit in history for their accomplishments does not require wrapping their identity up in those labels anymore than sexual preference has anything to do with what one has accomplished, unlike race or gender which are harder to hide 'in a closet' so to speak and out in the open for all to see and put obstacles up against. ANd bulling also doesnt require going into peoples preferences. Bullying is about behavior, it only needs to be addressed as an unhealthy and unfavorable behavior. The root cause of bullying is 'difference' of any type and that covers all subcategories of the bullied like smart kids, poor kids, fat kids, homeless kids, homosexual kids,,etc. ITs universal enough without making it ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY.

6. Behavior has to be visible to determine that its 'irrational'. Christians are highly exposed. What atheists do doesnt have quite the same open exposure. How often do you hear a news piece where they even mention someones affiliation with religion UNLESS they are religious? All those times its not mentioned at all, its possible those people are atheists but it isnt CALLED OUT in the same manner as it is for 'religious'.

in any case,, my point was only to say that we are all flawed, and we could all do to be more aware of whether we are addressing behaviors or just insulting humans,,,whatever our beliefs,,,

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 04/30/12 03:30 PM

^^ this pertains to states where unions have a stranglehold on employees and employers.

yea, unions aren't real big here in texas... but there are a few here

That's an understatement - it's the reason the Texas public sector has been privitized to the extent it is and far longer than any other state even considered the idea.

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 04/30/12 03:27 PM

^^ this pertains to states where unions have a stranglehold on employees and employers.

How many are there, which states? Have they been affected by right-to-work legislation?

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 04/30/12 03:21 PM

I think we cant control what people think or feel, often times THEY cant even control it,, so I dont spend alot of time focused on it

unless/until it turns into ACTIONS,,,,

people can pray for good or bad, nothing can be done about that
I think people praying for good happens much more often than those praying for bad,, personally

but thats just me

as far as public prayer, I dont think its good or bad in and of itself, it can be great for people to sometimes congregate to pray together publicly as a way to let others know they arent alone, or to encourage others to pray themself

it can likewise be awful if it is used to isolate or belittle others

EXACTLY Harmony, EXACTLY...This is what I was trying to say.....I guess I didn't do a very good job....As to Redy's post...I understood what you meant by making it public, but here's the thing..Some people are always going to make public their religious views, their political views, their hatreds and their loves...Some will publicly endorse or denounce anything and everything if they are presented the opportunity...Some will make public threats, some will stand up and testify.....Some of us will be bothered by it, some will not......Like Harmony said, we can't control other people....

And, if someone was sitting beside me in a restaurant, a theater, on an airplane, anywhere, silently praying for my demise it would not matter chit to me because I would not know ......

Transparency is always good thing no matter the subject.....So yeah, I guess we can learn some things about the peeps who pray out loud in public...I guess we can learn some things about what they are praying about or for, but first we have to be willing to listen...really listen....

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 04/30/12 11:15 AM
Edited by Redykeulous on Mon 04/30/12 11:25 AM

OK, I'll bite....But first a disclaimer...Redyke everyone knows you are brilliant so if you try to take advantage of me I'm walkin!laugh

I can't even wrap my head around your statement "perhaps the real power of prayer is how it influences and supports non-tolerance and even hatred" because it sounds completely ridiculous...

IMHO prayer is personal.....If I do it, when I do it, how I do it, and why I do it, ALL PERSONAL....Maybe that is why it doesn't bother me when others do it in public and sometime I even find it comforting because I can sense those doing it are actually experiencing something that feels good to them.....In that respect prayer or praying is effective in accomplishing "positive" results....

To say taking prayer public is a sure way to create animosity, indicate the level of one's tolerance for another's beliefs, and demonstrate a persons "true" character is like saying tomorrow at 9:05 AM, Eastern Standard Time, the sky will fall.....

Wow, thanks for the complement, but I am not trying to take advantage. I can see I was not making a clear point. Silent prayer in a public place, doesn't bother me, in most cases, I can even be respectful and maintain silence while the person/people meditate. So I agree with you that prayer is a personal & private activity.

By making public, I meant 'announcing' or making the content of one's prayer a public matter.

If one chooses to do so the content can be used to determine the the level of one's tolerance for other beliefs,and demonstrate the content of one's charachter. It could effect how others will view and respond to the person or poeple involved with the prayer.

The article I posted was the exhibit I was using to support my view.

How would you react if people were publicly praying that you get cancer and die, just because you don't conform to morals dictated by their religious beliefs?

How do we tend react when religious beliefs allow and support total domination of women, including physical and mental abuse - especially if after the abuse the prayer includes the request that the woman be made submissive?

So maybe knowing what others pray for, will help us determine who/what we're dealing with. You think?

Edited to include:

Here's another point - when considering of all those 'silent' prayers that we are repectful of, how can we be sure that the prayer is benign? What if the person next to you is praying for violence to happen to you?

So in some regard, just knowing that those kinds of prayers are being offered, it's rather tolerant of us to be respectful in the face to such total disregard.

Either way, I will still tend to respect those who feel the need to interrupt activity for the purpose of prayer. I'd like to think that most poeple have good intentions and that deserves some level of respect, util it's proved otherwise. :wink:

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 04/30/12 09:31 AM

Perhaps the real power of prayer is how it influences and supports non-tolerance and even hatred.

Although I don't believe prayer is effective in accomplishing results, I think that taking it further by making one's prayer public is a sure way to create animosity and indicate the level of one's tolerance for other beliefs,and demonstrate the content of one's charachter.

Perhaps making one's prayer public is a good thing as it helps us to discern the kind of person/people and intellect, we are dealing with.

Who’s Praying For Their Enemies to Get Breast Cancer?
by Paul Canning
April 25, 2012

A women’s prayer group is praying for their fellow women fighting for a secular military to get incurable breast cancer.

The prayer group wrote to a leader of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF) that:

We pray that the women who work in your MRFF and the women in your family will befall fast moving breast cancer which can not everbe [sic] cured.

The email was addressed to the founder of MRFF Michael Weinstein and followed him hanging up the phone on an abusive call from a member of the prayer group. It names 14 key women members of MRFF and says that they pray they get breast cancer.

The email says: “America … is Jesus’ country.” MRFF has been fighting since 2005 against a concerted push by what Weinstein calls “the fundamentalist Christian Taliban” against the separation of church and state in the military, and the email is just one example of the nasty push back Weinstein, as well as other supporters of MRFF, has received.

Weinstein is a Republican, Honor Graduate of the United States Air Force Academy and from three generations of members of the military. He established the foundation after his sons received religious discrimination at the Academy, as he had also received. He says:

This battle started because I was a pissed off parent. I found out that my sons were being called f..ing Jews and being accused of total complicity in the execution of Jesus Christ at the United States Air Force Academy.

Weinstein believes that the activities of the ‘Christian Taliban’ “is creating an internal national security threat.”

Since 2005, more than 27,000 active duty members of the United States Armed Forces have asked for support from MRFF as ‘spiritual rape victims/tormentees.’ 96% of the service men and women are Christians themselves. Among the cases the group has litigated are those of threats of violence against atheist service persons.

It was MRFF who uncovered the Jesus rifles controversy, when rifle scopes manufactured by US government contractor Trijicon were discovered to be engraved with biblical scripture citations.

Last year, MRFF uncovered that the ethical indoctrination course material for nuclear missile launch officers contained Christian militarist components.

Of the latest assault on the group, MRFF says:

MRFF’s fight is against the most extreme religious zealots the United States has to offer. The same extremist mentality causing women to pray for the cancer deaths of fourteen wonderful women has also resulted in U.S. Marines posing next to a Nazi SS flag, a Marine Fighter Squadron fighting under the name and imagery of Crusaders, Air Force nuclear missile launch officers effectively being taught that “Jesus Loves Nukes”, along with countless other examples of blatantly unconstitutional and maliciously inappropriate religious incursion in the military.

MRFF’s significant base of Christian supporters often shares their horror at the actions undertaken by fundamentalist Christian extremists that give all Christians a bad name and awful reputation. Many Christians ask themselves, “What would Jesus do?” Would Jesus pray for the deaths of fourteen women?

The Military Religious Freedom Foundation holds that it’s vitally important that this type of extremist mentality is no longer allowed to take root in our military. Whether you’re Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Wiccan, Sikh, celebrate another faith tradition, or none at all, MRFF calls for you to stand together in support of this simple standard: We will not tolerate harm, threats, or abuse in the name of religion.

Read more:
http://www.care2.com/causes/whos-praying-for-their-enemies-to-get-breast-cancer.html#ixzz1tX0GI06x

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 04/30/12 09:14 AM
Edited by Redykeulous on Mon 04/30/12 09:16 AM
Ok - I really don't understand the problem.

First of all, when considering employees of the major corporations, like Walmart, Target..., I would imagine that the vast majority of employees would not conform to a union, especially when they realized that their, very near, minimum wages would be severely cut by union dues.

Secondly, with all the new 'right-to-work' legislation implemented by states, it would be unlikely that people working in small organizations would be any more likely that those in large corps to go for 'paying dues'.

In fact, one of the greatest oppositions to the 'right-to-work' legislation is the concern about the "free-riders" those who will benefit from labor unions without having to pay the cost of protection.

Those who might opt to take the pay cut for quick remedies through the protection of labor unions, would most likely not be satisfied within a year, and refuese to continue their union affiliation, HOPING, perhaps, that others would continue and they would all eventually benefit.

Finally, there would be little effect on employees in the public sector (fed & state employees)becasue they have worked under the 'right-to-work' policies for ages.

At this point, should unions attempt to infiltrate big corporations, is there any doubt that we would all see EVERY state putting into effect 'right-to-work' legislation.

Until people of the U.S. have job security, meaning choices of jobs, with majority of able-bodies working, they are likely to continue to work long hours, submit to inequalities and low pay, with fewer benefits. This means that labor unions have little effect under 'right-to-work' legislation and for those who cannot afford the union dues without quick remedies to their situations.

When we eventually get back to job security, then we may see more employees contracting out with arbitration organization. It's a cost that may be absorbed by the employer, if the case is decided in favor of the employee. Either way, it's a one time cost for quick remedies vs continuous union dues, with unwanted political affiliations.

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 04/30/12 08:47 AM

In short...

knowledge is accrued.

I would adjust the definition to:

Knowledge is the sum total of all the information we choose to use in support, or justification, of our beliefs which we accept as true.

Rather, I'm interested in discussing what constitutes sufficient reason to believe something(X), and what constitutes an adequate criterion to call something(X) knowledge.

As I posted earlier - Adequate criterion for sufficient reason to believe something, is a matter of:

The methods of testing our information and assessing the outcomes are directly related to all the tools at our disposal including, education, intellectual ability, access to new information, and environmental factors including, the freedom to be at liberty to address falshoods,persuade others of the errors, and adapt to the social consequences.

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 04/30/12 08:26 AM
Edited by Redykeulous on Mon 04/30/12 08:28 AM
While I realize that many may hold that lack of contrary evidence is sufficient reason to believe something, I would say that that is insufficient reason. There is no contrary evidence to many unbelievable ideas, but we find no reason to believe those, nor usefulness in entertaining some of them.

There is bias attacthed to everything we believe, OR we simply believe because to us, the information makes sense than anything else, OR we take the word of respected authority figures. Example:quantum particals - ok, although I'm skeptical about definitions and even possibilities surrounding the research, I accept that there IS something to be researched. Why? Two reasons, first, I lack the information to understand the whole concept, and secondly, I respect the intellect of those individuals whom I consider to be well educated and well versed in the sceiences.

You are correct that many people find no reason to believe 'unbelievable ideas' but there are many more people who think that what others view as 'unbelievable' is simply a matter of faith and/or lack of understanding/education.

Example: For those who find the idea of an involved 'god-creator'an unbelievable idea - can it also useless information?

We beleive that many good and bad value systems stem from such beliefs. So having information/knowledge of those beliefs is vital to understanding and relating to all those many poeple. It is ALL knowledge because it IS information that we can use, even if only to show the logic errors that occur between the many beliefs which cause discourse to sociability.

Edited to add: Associating colors to knowledge is an inadequate example. Colors come in all shades - at what point does red become pink, blue become purple, and yellow become orange?

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 04/30/12 08:07 AM
Edited by Redykeulous on Mon 04/30/12 08:09 AM
I mostly agree. However, the first statement strikes me as a conflation between belief and knowledge. If " Everything individuals believe is considered to be part of their knowledge base" is true, then it would follow that all belief is equal to knowledge, and belief in God is knowledge.

Belief can be true or false. Knowledge cannot be false.

How we develop our system of values is based on what we believe. Therefore, the phrase "to my knowledge..." indicates that we accept our beliefs to be 'true'.

The only real knowledge we have, is information which we have been unable to falisfy - so by your view, there can be no knowledge other than what we have been unable to falsified.

We can build on theories which seem to have worked. Is the theory a "true" piece of information?

We assume it is if it holds up against testing. When we build on that theory and there is failure, we must determine where the connectin between the building blocks has broken down.

The methods of testing our information and assessing the outcomes are directly related to all the tools at our disposal including, education, intellectual ability, access to new information, and environmental factors including, the freedom to be at liberty to address falshoods,persuade others of the errors, and adapt to the social consequences.

The problem, which we have all come accross, is that when people realize that 'knowledge' is only permanent until it is falsified, they are unwilling to accept and incorporated new information primarily becasue they either cannot understand the processes involved, or becasue their own 'beliefs'/'knowledge' have not been disproved by the new information.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 04/29/12 02:11 PM
Well - all this time the chatity belt was on the wrong gender.

I can't help but wonder, how intelligent is it that men wear helmets when they would be better placed elsewhere?

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 04/29/12 02:04 PM
Everything individuals believe is considered to be part of their knowledge base. Humans are naturally reluctant to change their beliefs for several reasons. One of the reasons to ignore new knowledge is because people are not given the tools or freedom to re-evaluate and change beliefs (and all knowledge is held, by belief).

Another reason people do not accept new information is because they cannot (or will not) accept responsibility for previous actions that were based on faulty beliefs. Egocentrism is at play in all individuals, but it can be overcome to some degree under certain conditions.

So, how then do we develop the ability to be able to see error in our teachers' view/teaching?

How beliefs are formed is of little consequence if skepticism is punished, as it is in almost every ‘tribe’ or collective. Sometimes the punishment is something as simple as ostracism. Simple it may be, but extremely effective – we all need to be accepted and valued by some social group, which is why we have so many sub-culture in the U.S. As BraveLady inferred, individualistic societies have a greater range of social units to choose from than do collectivist societies.

When an individual recognizes an error in their knowledge base , he has to be able to consider a wide range of consequences for accepting the new information, specifically – how will incorporating the new information change his values and his behavior, and what will be the effects to self and others.

It is far less difficult to recognize errors in our knowledge than it is to pursue honest introspection objectively. It is even more difficult to make changes, upon introspection, that could upset the status quo and bring down wrath upon others and/or self.
So to answer the question in the next quote:

So, how then do we develop the ability to be able to see error in our teachers' view/teaching?

Our ability to see the errors in our beliefs simply requires skepticism (asking questions, even just of one’s self). The more information we are exposed to, the greater our ability to question current beliefs. But questioning requires both the ability to be objectively introspective and the liberty to adapt while still being an accepted and valued part of a social unit.

There are not many indivdualist cultures, most of the world is gathered into collectivist units. Collectivism limits our ability to change beliefs, which those in the United States can better understand simply by observing the various religious groups.

Information is abunant in the U.S. - but those who are strongly affiliated with collectivist social units, are the least likely to accept new information if it requires adapting to beliefs outside of the collective.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 04/29/12 12:52 PM
here am asking why the terrorism, and terrorist word only used for the muslims. And craminal used for non muslim. Is the terrorist word bound only with muslims?

In the United States, the best way to get the most people to agree with government agenda is to release a lot of propaganda. The people here are often manipulated by misinformation. If there are enough people who will hate others, the government is able to misdirect their thoughts away from the truth.

Terrorist can be anyone the government says it is and recently, many of our own people appear to be on that list. In fact, our government tells us that everyone is suspected of being a terrorist. They do that in order to keep waging war, and to misdirect our attention as we continue to lose much of our freedom.

It is not just Muslims who are regarded at terrorists; there are even many Americans our government is suspect of deserving the label.
The biggest problem is that many Americans have not yet realized the position they are really in.

As we argue over internal control for our freedoms, and why we need to be involved in all these wars and so-called offensive actions, we neglect what’s really happening in the world: Climate change, food shortages, clean water, the China syndrome in Japan, and other countries who continue to build their arsenal of nuclear weapons.

People are too easily led to hate and once they have learned to hate, it becomes difficult to change their mind.

We put too much stock in violence. It would make more sense to believe that a god, who is suppose to be an all-powerful creator, can get rid of all the people that cause offense, and that god would not need other people to hate or be violent or in any other way do his bidding.

But poeple don't think on a higher moral plane, nor can they reason out simple things, like why would a god create a lot people just to watch them destroy each other. Is that a god worthy of believing in?

How could anyone trust a god like that? A god like that is the real terrorist.

Redykeulous's photo
Thu 04/26/12 11:14 PM

How about we stop giving billions of dollars in foreign aid to other countries. Especially the ones that want to kill us. That seems kinda wacko to me. huh

Awe - don't you get it, many of those billions in foreign aid is for weapons... it's no fun having a war unless the other side has weapons too.

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 10 11 12 24 25