Community > Posts By > boo2u

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 04:59 PM

The president is the figurehead for this country so to me the flag is synonymous with him. He represents this country in the exact same line as the flag.

So then if one shows respect to the president they should also show respect towards the flag?

Yea, people do not have to hold their heart when the president is in the room or if the anthem is playing when he is in the room...lol So the same applies for the flag.

But military personel have to salute him and the flag.
So should the president not be held to the same standards seeing he is the commander in chief?

TJ...I agree with you. IMO the presidents should....but people have different opinions ohwell

"I say the pledge and put my hand over my heart for my own reasons. Not everyone has the same reasons as me for doing it or not doing it. as long as people don't try to say I can't do it....I am not bothered by what others do."

Make up your mind Rose.laugh If you are not bothered by what others do then that should include Obama, he too is an american. Because some believe they should preform some ritual doesn't mean everyone has to think so or do so. Are we free in this country or not?

I don't need my president to be a robot, I expect him to be who he is. If he prefers to do it sometimes or no times, that's him. Just as it is TJ to do as he thinks is right for him. And for me to not do it at all.

he is also the commander in chief and the leader of the country, but I didn't say he should be forced to or thrown in jail for not doing it. yes I hold certain people more accountable for certain things. never said to get him out of office because he choses not to do it or to do it.

I never said anyone HAD to do it. should and has to aren't the same. I think he should....but that is my opinion but he (like everyone else) does have the right to chose not to.

So you hold him accountable to what? To do something because you think it's proper? Just want to clarify..

yes...just like other etiquettes. but I also stated that not everyone has the same opinion and I have my own reasons behind my opinion

I"m not forcing anyone to believe as me. I am stating MY opinion and acknowledging that others believe different

I'm not saying others are wrong for their opinions...I'm saying I don't agree

Good, that means Obama gets to believe differently as well.

ummmm I think I have said that, didn't I???? do you think I'm wrong or just disagree?

Yes I did, then you said you thought that presidents should. so that is why I asked for clarification. Seem contradictory.

I really don't care though, one is free to be contradictory as well. :smile:

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 04:46 PM

I don't know why I'm posting this because some of you wont read it. How do I know this ? because I've posted several portions of it and it was just ignored. But what the heck I'll do it. Some might appreciate it.

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

Flag Etiquette
STANDARDS of RESPECT
The Flag Code, which formalizes and unifies the traditional ways in which we give respect to the flag, also contains specific instructions on how the flag is not to be used. They are:

The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speakers desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard
The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.
The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.

The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.

When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

Note: Most American Legion Posts regularly conduct a dignified flag burning ceremony, often on Flag Day, June 14th. Many Cub Scout Packs, Boy Scout Troops, and Girl Scout Troops retire flags regularly as well. Contact your local American Legion Hall or Scout Troop to inquire about the availability of this service.

Displaying the Flag Outdoors
When the flag is displayed from a staff projecting from a window, balcony, or a building, the union should be at the peak of the staff unless the flag is at half staff.

When it is displayed from the same flagpole with another flag - of a state, community, society or Scout unit - the flag of the United States must always be at the top except that the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for Navy personnel when conducted by a Naval chaplain on a ship at sea.

When the flag is displayed over a street, it should be hung vertically, with the union to the north or east. If the flag is suspended over a sidewalk, the flag's union should be farthest from the building.

When flown with flags of states, communities, or societies on separate flag poles which are of the same height and in a straight line, the flag of the United States is always placed in the position of honor - to its own right.
..The other flags may be smaller but none may be larger.
..No other flag ever should be placed above it.
..The flag of the United States is always the first flag raised and the last to be lowered.

When flown with the national banner of other countries, each flag must be displayed from a separate pole of the same height. Each flag should be the same size. They should be raised and lowered simultaneously. The flag of one nation may not be displayed above that of another nation.

Raising and Lowering the Flag
The flag should be raised briskly and lowered slowly and ceremoniously. Ordinarily it should be displayed only between sunrise and sunset. It should be illuminated if displayed at night.
The flag of the United States of America is saluted as it is hoisted and lowered. The salute is held until the flag is unsnapped from the halyard or through the last note of music, whichever is the longest.

Displaying the Flag Indoors
When on display, the flag is accorded the place of honor, always positioned to its own right. Place it to the right of the speaker or staging area or sanctuary. Other flags should be to the left.

The flag of the United States of America should be at the center and at the highest point of the group when a number of flags of states, localities, or societies are grouped for display.

When one flag is used with the flag of the United States of America and the staffs are crossed, the flag of the United States is placed on its own right with its staff in front of the other flag.

When displaying the flag against a wall, vertically or horizontally, the flag's union (stars) should be at the top, to the flag's own right, and to the observer's left.

Parading and Saluting the Flag
When carried in a procession, the flag should be to the right of the marchers. When other flags are carried, the flag of the United States may be centered in front of the others or carried to their right. When the flag passes in a procession, or when it is hoisted or lowered, all should face the flag and salute.

The Salute
To salute, all persons come to attention. Those in uniform give the appropriate formal salute. Citizens not in uniform salute by placing their right hand over the heart and men with head cover should remove it and hold it to left shoulder, hand over the heart. Members of organizations in formation salute upon command of the person in charge.

The Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem
The pledge of allegiance should be rendered by standing at attention, facing the flag, and saluting.
When the national anthem is played or sung, citizens should stand at attention and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the music.

The Flag in Mourning
To place the flag at half staff, hoist it to the peak for an instant and lower it to a position half way between the top and bottom of the staff. The flag is to be raised again to the peak for a moment before it is lowered. On Memorial Day the flag is displayed at half staff until noon and at full staff from noon to sunset.

The flag is to be flown at half staff in mourning for designated, principal government leaders and upon presidential or gubernatorial order.

When used to cover a casket, the flag should be placed with the union at the head and over the left shoulder. It should not be lowered into the grave.

I read it. All I can say is I have never been fond of ritual made up by people with a vested interest in programing other people. I dont' care what people do with the flag. Some guy somewhere has the flag all over his home, a throw for his couch, etc etc. Why the heck should I be bothered by that? Some one burns a flag, and that ruins me day or my life? Nope...

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 04:35 PM

The president is the figurehead for this country so to me the flag is synonymous with him. He represents this country in the exact same line as the flag.

So then if one shows respect to the president they should also show respect towards the flag?

Yea, people do not have to hold their heart when the president is in the room or if the anthem is playing when he is in the room...lol So the same applies for the flag.

So should the president not be held to the same standards seeing he is the commander in chief?

TJ...I agree with you. IMO the presidents should....but people have different opinions ohwell

"I say the pledge and put my hand over my heart for my own reasons. Not everyone has the same reasons as me for doing it or not doing it. as long as people don't try to say I can't do it....I am not bothered by what others do."

Make up your mind Rose.laugh If you are not bothered by what others do then that should include Obama, he too is an american. Because some believe they should preform some ritual doesn't mean everyone has to think so or do so. Are we free in this country or not?

I don't need my president to be a robot, I expect him to be who he is. If he prefers to do it sometimes or no times, that's him. Just as it is TJ to do as he thinks is right for him. And for me to not do it at all.

he is also the commander in chief and the leader of the country, but I didn't say he should be forced to or thrown in jail for not doing it. yes I hold certain people more accountable for certain things. never said to get him out of office because he choses not to do it or to do it.

I never said anyone HAD to do it. should and has to aren't the same. I think he should....but that is my opinion but he (like everyone else) does have the right to chose not to.

So you hold him accountable to what? To do something because you think it's proper? Just want to clarify..

yes...just like other etiquettes. but I also stated that not everyone has the same opinion and I have my own reasons behind my opinion

I"m not forcing anyone to believe as me. I am stating MY opinion and acknowledging that others believe different

I'm not saying others are wrong for their opinions...I'm saying I don't agree

Good, that means Obama gets to believe differently as well.

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 04:34 PM

It's just a simple matter of respect, but hey respect doesn't mean much to everyone apparently.

If he can't show them a simple respectful gesture, well he shouldn't expect the same from them right? Just thinking. :wink:

Obama has my respect for being an individual with his own mind.

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 04:31 PM

Doesn't military have to salute while in uniform? The President is not in uniform..

The Salute
To salute, all persons come to attention. Those in uniform give the appropriate formal salute. Citizens not in uniform salute by placing their right hand over the heart and men with head cover should remove it and hold it to left shoulder, hand over the heart. Members of organizations in formation salute upon command of the person in charge.

Wow TJ, I give you credit for trying, but something so simple can be so complicated to others.
:thumbsup:

Not complicated at all. Don't tell others what they should and should not do. Simple! You want to follow, go ahead, who's stopping you. It's a free country last I heard. Nothing complicated about being free to express yourself as you see fit.

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 04:26 PM

Flag Etiquette
STANDARDS of RESPECT
The Flag Code, which formalizes and unifies the traditional ways in which we give respect to the flag, also contains specific instructions on how the flag is not to be used. They are:

The Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem

The pledge of allegiance should be rendered by standing at attention, facing the flag, and saluting.
When the national anthem is played or sung, citizens should stand at attention and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the music.

Should the Comander in chief not be held to the same standards as the military?

To me some controlling group makes up some rule to formally follow a ritual that is then forced on others to conform to. Nope, sorry not a conformist.

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 04:23 PM

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 04:00 PM

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 03:51 PM

so some group adopts some ritual that doesn't represent something you like, then tells you that you are not being respectful if you don't honor that ritual. Seriously TJ?

I think people should be free to do it or not do it, period. I certainly can't help that you would disrespt me if I didn't follow you lead on something you think should be done. In fact that would just make me all the more likely to NOT do it.:tongue: But then I am stubborn anyway. I don't like people telling me what I should and should not do to prove loyalty to my country.

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 12:10 PM

Soon we will be saying the pledge like this

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under Obama, indivisible, with higher taxes and no rights for all.

No it's not photshoped.
You can get one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390080162883

hahaha I love it! Good one!! I don't hear too many objections that one yet. Now that's a flag I would burn.:wink:

Here's an objection. I don't support that flag nor do I support the paranoia behind it.

I personaly see no paranoia behind it.

But I'd be willing to place bets that you will see some flying that flag.

That would be their choice to fly it, right? No one is forcing anyone to do so.

I never said anything about being forced to do it.

Yay, an objection:banana: Paranoia? Naw, just wide awake as to what is happening within America's borders. but I'd still like to burn that flag and wave the one that represents America :wink:

Yep TJN, didn't see where you quoted it being forced either. whoa

The only paranoia I see is the ones that think it's indoctrinating.

What is paranoid is to think that this flag will ever exist in place of the American flag or to assume that Obama would want it that way. I don't worship objects, period. But since it's a free country people can do as they like. The pledge was made up by a small group of individuals. These individuals so not represent me as an individual. If some thinks I am not patriotic because I refuse to recite their pledge, that's their hang up not mine.

Ok boo next time I post something in jest I will state that in the post just for you.

That's an excellent idea since I can't read minds, and there is so many insults of this president flying around lately it's often difficult to know what is jest and what is just another insult. So thanks I would appreciate that.

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 12:07 PM

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under Obama, indivisible, with higher taxes and no rights for all.

No it's not photshoped.
You can get one on ebay.

hahaha I love it! Good one!! I don't hear too many objections that one yet. Now that's a flag I would burn.:wink:

Here's an objection. I don't support that flag nor do I support the paranoia behind it.

Yay, an objection:banana: Paranoia? Naw, just wide awake as to what is happening within America's borders. but I'd still like to burn that flag and wave the one that represents America :wink:

What is paranoid is to think that this flag will ever exist in place of the American flag or to assume that Obama would want it that way. I don't worship objects, period. But since it's a free country people can do as they like. The pledge was made up by a small group of individuals. These individuals so not represent me as an individual. If some thinks I am not patriotic because I refuse to recite their pledge, that's their hang up not mine.

Haha I see the paranoia. No one ever said we thought this flag would ever replace the true American flag. rofl rofl rofl rofl

Well I don't know what paranoia it took to create the idea in the first place of Obama on a flag, still it would be paranoid if anyone did assume it would replace the american flag. Either way it's not going to happen so why waste time even thinking about it at all. In fact I'm bored with it, so I'll be moving on. rofl

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 11:58 AM

So, next time a crisp salute will do and then you can be on your way."

when Obama will show respect for our country by holding his hand over his heart during the national anthom than I will show him respect!

Pish, I don't put a hand over my heart either. But that's just me. I will listen respectfully, and enjoy the national anthem, but I'm not selling my soul to anyone over it.

I'm with you on this. I would stand and allow everyone to do their thing, but that doesn't mean I have to be just like everyone else. Looks like Obama was being himself. Wow, how offensive can one get. slaphead

:laughing: why is there only one person facing forward? why is he not being singled out? Why is there only one person wearing short sleeves? why is she not being singled out???

:laughing:

I'm ticked off that there are 5 chairs and only 4 people showing. I demand to know who fell off the stage. I want to know if that person pledged...

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 11:41 AM

No it's not photshoped.
You can get one on ebay.

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 10:57 AM

So, next time a crisp salute will do and then you can be on your way."

when Obama will show respect for our country by holding his hand over his heart during the national anthom than I will show him respect!

Pish, I don't put a hand over my heart either. But that's just me. I will listen respectfully, and enjoy the national anthem, but I'm not selling my soul to anyone over it.

I'm with you on this. I would stand and allow everyone to do their thing, but that doesn't mean I have to be just like everyone else. Looks like Obama was being himself. Wow, how offensive can one get. slaphead

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 09:38 AM

No it's not photshoped.
You can get one on ebay.

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 08:51 AM

To tell you the truth, I never knew that this caused problems for people saying "Under God".

Under which god?

Is there a god to be under?

Why do we have to be "under" a god?

If it is not my god that we are "under" am I being discriminated against?

Should I have to be under someone elses god?

See?

Its really semantics I guess. Whatever God means to the pledgee. It doesnt say Yahweh or allah, just generic GOD. Some people have a Green God (the almighty dollar) , some have a fleshly God(whatever feels good), some people worship Allah, some worship the government, some worship rebellion,,,I think God in the pledge is pretty non conformist which is why it doesnt offend me. It would be different if It said ALLAH.

Yes, but you believe in God, right? Many out there don't.

Well, I do believe everyone worships someone or something,,I just dont believe everyone sees that person or thing as God though.

Everyone worships someone or something? I'm not religious at all and don't worship anything.

I don't either and certainly not gods I can not see hear or feel. Hell I don't 'worship' things I can see.

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 08:47 AM

Pledging allegiance would have been able to stay in the schools had it not been for the unfounded fear of communists....lol

That is funny to me.

Ironically, the original pledge stance looked like the Nazi salute, but that too was changed to make it "more American". laugh
The're thinking of changing it back.smokin be seeing you

Back to the nazi salute?

probably back to no God,, judging from the current culture. I think it should be elective, I always have thought it should be. However, I dont see how saying it hurts anyone. Its like a prayer, I dont think schools should impose upon children that they have to pray but I dont think it right to disallow those who want to to do so when it doesnt hurt anyone.

People can pray silently at any time of day or to themselves quietly at any time of day. There is no need to have to do it in a group that involves those who do not believe in that god. Indoctrination of religion should not be allowed.

We basically just agreed. People should be permitted to pray quietly at any time of day but there are schools where children are not permitted to do so,,, even silently. I do not think this is right.

They are not stopped from praying to themselves...lol How can anyone stop them? Read their mind? How would anyone know that is what they are doing?

A judge, faulting "the loss of moral values in public education," on Friday ordered the reinstatement of a school principal who was suspended because he let a student read a prayer over the school intercom. The principal, Bishop Knox, became the center of an uproar after he was dismissed in November. Hundreds of people attended rallies, students walked out of many schools around the state, and politicians, including Gov. Kirk Fordice, spoke out in favor of school prayer. The State Legislature passed a law allowing prayer initiated by students, even though some lawmakers expressed doubts

This is the type of thing I meant. I may have misworded it. I believe there is a place for all interests in our culture. Schools have many extracurricular activities for like minded individuals to participate in common activities. I dont see why prayer should not be permitted to be one as well if it is voluntary and not mandatory. Does free speech stop when someone mention GOD? Just an opnion though,,obviously

Don't read the damn thing over the intercom to those who don't want to hear it and you won't have any problems.

Whose god was the prayer too? If it wasn't to my god why should I have to listen to it? If it is a religious prayer should it not include my god and your god and everyone's god? One person's god is not another's. You cannot disrespect other gods by showing preference for one.

NO religion should be allowed to respect all religions.

I don't think it's appropriate for school to read a prayer aloud over intercom, but however could do what some other schools have done. Up here in Utah, some high schools provide an on campus "mini church" and extra curricular activities that relate to "religion", anyone who is interested can sign up, other than that they don't force one particular religion onto anyone and if you don't like it you avoid it. I think that more schools including elementary's should offer this kind of support, rather than cause a ruckus between students and teachers, thus avoiding anyone getting suspended, expelled or fired.

Why not save money and say the dang prayers at home before school, in church on sunday, on the dang bus to oneself on the way to school. It's ridiculous to be building mini churches to accomadate religion. Personally I think it's just another sneaky way to incorporate religion into schools.

And which religion does the mini church apply to. Geezuz, I really think we humans are loosing our minds. I bet of the prayer was from the Koran there would have been hell to pay for that one.

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 08:34 AM
It's not so much about his right to have this done. It's about us as Americans and what kind of country we want to live in.

Personally if I had been there and saw what he did I'd want to turn around and finish the job for him, blowing the rest of his sorry face off and putting him our of OUR misery.

But I guess the legal question is are we to stoop to his level? I don't know because right this minute I could care less about this irresponsible SOB. He might have had good reason in his own head for what he did, but to do it in front of that child is completely unforgivable to me.

Shaking my head...

no photo
Mon 10/12/09 07:27 AM

Wow.....this thread sure got OFF TOPIC.

It's interesting that in Arizona, Sheriff Arpaio has been conducting raids on Small Businesses that he has been informed that are knowingly hiring illegal aliens.

This law was signed awhile back by our Governor at the time, Janet Napolitano. The law states that any business that knowingly hires an illegal alien will have their business license revoked by the State of Arizona.

Some of the biggest critics of Sheriff Arpaio were the business leaders in this state. They wanted the cheap/slave labor and saw him as a threat to their corporate profits.

The intent of the law was that if you didn't have the jobs available that lured them into the state, you would slow down the illegal immigration.

"Joe the Plumber" is part of the problem. Construction contractors were some of the biggest violators in this state as far as hiring illegal aliens. My brother is a superintendent for a large framing subcontractor and 400 of their 450 employees were illegal aliens. Now that construction has fallen to almost nothing, many of them have returned to Mexico to their families. They are down to 40 employees now.

Another lady I know manages a Mexican food restaurant that is part of a very popular chain here. She told me that all the cooks are illegals aliens and to protect themselves on this law, they hire the cooks as "Independent Contractors" and pay them directly as such and not as employees. Lots of greedy businesses trying to skirt the laws.

Sheriff Arpaio is in the news, on the radio or in the paper here almost daily. The bottom line is that he is going to continue to do his job and enforce the laws of the state, regardless of this issue.

I wouldn't try to blame President Obama....I blame this problem on the greedy business owners.

drinker It goes on here too, though I don't see anyone doing much about it. Local business wants the cheap labor.

no photo
Sun 10/11/09 02:19 PM

Its really semantics I guess. Whatever God means to the pledgee. It doesnt say Yahweh or allah, just generic GOD. Some people have a Green God (the almighty dollar) , some have a fleshly God(whatever feels good), some people worship Allah, some worship the government, some worship rebellion,,,I think God in the pledge is pretty non conformist which is why it doesnt offend me. It would be different if It said ALLAH.

No semantics. It was the christian god that was mean by under god. Just to be sure about it and curious about motivation I found this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Pledge of Allegiance to the United States is an oath of loyalty to the republic of the United States of America, originally composed by Francis Bellamy in 1892, a Baptist minister, a Christian socialist, and the cousin of socialist utopian novelist Edward Bellamy (1850-1898). . The Pledge has been modified four times since then, with the most recent change adding the words "under God" in 1954. The Pledge is predominantly sworn by children in public schools in response to state laws requiring the Pledge to be offered. Congressional sessions open with the swearing of the Pledge, as do government meetings at local levels, meetings held by the Boy Scouts of America, and some sporting events.

The current version of the Pledge of Allegiance reads:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."[1]

According to the United States Flag Code, the Pledge "should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute."[1]

Students swearing the Pledge on Flag Day in 1899The Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892 by Francis Bellamy (1855-1931), a Baptist minister, a Christian socialist, and the cousin of socialist utopian novelist Edward Bellamy (1850-1898). Harris' original "Pledge of Allegiance" was published in the September 8th issue of the popular children's magazine The Youth's Companion as part of the National Public-School Celebration of Columbus Day, a celebration of the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus's discovery of America. The event was conceived by James B. Upham, a marketer for the magazine, in a campaign to sell American flags and American nationalism to public schools.[2][3]

Bellamy's original Pledge read, "I Pledge Allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all."

The word "to" was inserted between "...my Flag and" and "the Republic" in October, 1892.[4]

The pledge was supposed to be quick and to the point. Bellamy designed it to be stated in 15 seconds. He had initially also considered using the words equality and fraternity[3] but decided they were too controversial since many people opposed equal rights for women and blacks.[citation needed]

After a proclamation by President Benjamin Harrison, the Pledge was first used in public schools on October 12, 1892 during Columbus Day observances. This date was also significant as it was the dedication day of the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Illinois. Bellamy thought that the pledge itself and the involvement of children across the country would be a fine show of national solidarity.

In 1923 the National Flag Conference called for the words "my Flag " to be changed to "the Flag of the United States ". The reason given was to ensure that immigrants knew to which flag reference was being made. The words "of America " were added a year later. The U.S. Congress officially recognized the Pledge as the official national pledge on June 22, 1942.

Students pledging to the flag in with the Bellamy salute.In 1940 the Supreme Court, in deciding the case of Minersville School District v. Gobitis, ruled that students in public schools could be compelled to swear the Pledge, even Jehovah's Witnesses like the Gobitases, who considered the flag salute to be idolatry. In the wake of this ruling, there was a rash of mob violence and intimidation against Jehovah's Witnesses. In 1943 the Supreme Court reversed its decision, ruling in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette that "compulsory unification of opinion" violated the First Amendment.[5]

Swearing of the pledge is accompanied by a salute. An early version of the salute, adopted in 1892, was known as the Bellamy salute. It ended with the arm outstretched and the palm upwards. It eventually evolved to palm downward. Because of the similarity between the Bellamy salute and the Nazi salute, President Franklin D. Roosevelt instituted the hand-over-the-heart gesture as the salute to be rendered by civilians during the Pledge of Allegiance and the national anthem in the United States, instead of the Bellamy salute. This was done when Congress officially adopted the Flag Code on June 22, 1942.[6]

Addition of the words "under God"
"Under God" was officially incorporated into the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954. The man to first initiate the addition of "under God" to the Pledge was Louis A. Bowman (1872-1959). The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution gave him an Award of Merit as the originator of this idea.[7][8] He spent his adult life in the Chicago area and was Chaplain of the Illinois Society of the Sons of the American Revolution. At a meeting on February 12, 1948, Lincoln's Birthday, he led the Society in swearing the Pledge with two words added, "under God." He stated that the words came from Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. He repeated his revised Pledge at other meetings.[8]

In 1951, the Knights of Columbus, the world's largest Catholic fraternal service organization, also began including the words, "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance.[9] In New York City, on April 30, 1951, the Board of Directors of the Knights of Columbus adopted a resolution to amend the text of their Pledge of Allegiance at the opening of each of the meetings of the 800 Fourth Degree Assemblies of the Knights of Columbus by addition of the words "under God" after the words "one nation." In the following two years, the idea spread throughout Knights of Columbus organizations nationwide. On August 21, 1952, the Supreme Council of the Knights of Columbus at its annual meeting adopted a resolution urging that the change be made universal and copies of this resolution were sent to the President, the Vice President (as Presiding Officer of the Senate) and the Speaker of the House of Representatives. The National Fraternal Congress meeting in Boston on September 24, 1952, adopted a similar resolution upon the recommendation of its President, Supreme Knight Luke E. Hart. Several State Fraternal Congresses acted likewise almost immediately thereafter. This campaign led to several official attempts to prompt Congress to adopt the Knights of Columbus’ policy for the entire nation. These attempts failed.

In 1952, Holger Christian Langmack wrote a letter to President Truman suggesting the inclusion of "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. Mr. Langmack was a Danish Philosopher and Educator who came to America in 1911. He was one of the originators of the Prayer Breakfast, and a religious leader in Washington, D.C. President Truman responded to Mr. Langmack, and agreed to meet him along with several others to discuss the inclusion of "under God" and also "love" just before "Liberty and Justice". This meeting took place in 1952.[citation needed]

Rev. Dr. George MacPherson Docherty (left) and President Eisenhower (second from left) on the morning of February 7, 1954 at the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church; the morning Eisenhower was convinced that the pledge needed to be amendedBills were introduced in Congress as early as 1953, when Representative Louis C. Rabaut of Michigan sponsored a resolution at the suggestion of a correspondent. It was a Presbyterian minister who made the difference in 1954 by preaching a sermon about Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. The minister was George MacPherson Docherty, a native of Scotland who was called to succeed Peter Marshall as pastor of the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church near the White House, where, in 1863, the same year as the address, Lincoln attended and even rented a pew. After Lincoln’s death, the pew that he rented became something of a national monument. It became customary for later United States presidents to attend services at the church and sit in the Lincoln pew on the Sunday closest to Lincoln’s birthday (February 12) each year.

As Lincoln Sunday (February 7, 1954) approached, Rev. Docherty knew not only that President Dwight Eisenhower was to be in attendance, but that it was more than just an annual ritual for him. While raised a Jehovah's Witness, Eisenhower had been baptized a Presbyterian just a year earlier. Docherty's sermon focused on the Gettysburg Address, drawing its title from the address, "A New Birth of Freedom."

Docherty’s message began with a comparison of the United States to ancient Sparta. Docherty noted that a traveler to ancient Sparta was amazed by the fact that the Spartans’ national might was not to be found in their walls, their shields, or their weapons, but in their spirit. Likewise, said Docherty, the might of the United States should not be thought of as emanating from their newly developed atomic weapons, but in their spirit, the "American way of life". In the remainder of the sermon Docherty sought to define as succinctly as possible the essence of the American spirit and way of life. To do so, Docherty appealed to those two words in Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address. According to Docherty, what has made the United States both unique and strong was her sense of being the nation that Lincoln described: a nation "under God." Docherty took the opportunity to tell a story of a conversation with his children about the Pledge of Allegiance. Docherty was troubled by the fact that it did not include any reference to God. Without such reference, Docherty insisted that the Pledge could apply to just about any nation. He felt that the pledge should reflect the American spirit and way of life as defined by Lincoln.

After the service concluded, Docherty had opportunity to converse with Eisenhower about the substance of the sermon. The President expressed his enthusiastic concurrence with Docherty’s view, and the very next day, Eisenhower had the wheels turning in Congress to incorporate Docherty’s suggestion into law. On February 8, 1954, Rep. Charles Oakman (R-Mich.), introduced a bill to that effect. On Lincoln’s birthday, four days later, Oakman made the following speech on the floor of the House:

Last Sunday, the President of the United States and his family occupied the pew where Abraham Lincoln worshipped. The pastor, the Reverend George M. Docherty, suggested the change in our Pledge of Allegiance that I have offered [as a bill]. Dr. Docherty delivered a wise sermon. He said that as a native of Scotland come to these shores he could appreciate the pledge as something more than a hollow verse taught to children for memory. I would like to quote from his words. He said, 'there was something missing in the pledge, and that which was missing was the characteristic and definitive factor in the American way of life.' Mr. Speaker, I think Mr. Docherty hit the nail square on the head.

Senator Homer Ferguson, in his report to the Congress on March 10, 1954, said, "The introduction of this joint resolution was suggested to me by a sermon given recently by the Rev. George M. Docherty, of Washington, D.C., who is pastor of the church at which Lincoln worshipped." This time Congress concurred with the Oakman-Ferguson resolution, and Eisenhower opted to sign the bill into law on Flag Day (June 14, 1954).

Docherty’s sermon was published by Harper & Bros. in New York in 1958 and President Eisenhower took the opportunity to write to Dr. Docherty with gratitude for the opportunity to once again read the sermon.

[edit] Criticism of requiring or promoting the Pledge
Main article: Criticism of the Pledge of Allegiance
Government requiring or promoting of the Pledge has drawn criticism and legal challenges on several grounds. Prominent legal challenges have been based on the contention that state-sponsored requiring or promoting of the Pledge is unconstitutional because it violates one or both of the religion clauses in the First Amendment.

Central to challenges in the 1940s were Jehovah's Witnesses, a group whose beliefs preclude swearing loyalty to any power lesser than God, and who objected to policies in public schools requiring students to swear an oath to the flag. They objected on the grounds that their rights to freedom of religion as guaranteed by the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment were being violated by such requirements.

One objection is to the idea that someone who cannot really give consent or understand the Pledge, such as small children, are the people most likely to recite the Pledge everyday.

Another objection states that a democratic republic built on dissent should not require its citizens to pledge allegiance to it; the best way to instill a love of country in young people (if that is the intent of the Pledge) is to teach them about their country without such a compulsion.

Other objections have been raised since the addition of the phrase "under God" to the Pledge in 1954. Many critics contend that a government requiring or promoting this phrase violates protections against establishment of religion guaranteed in the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.

In a 2002 case brought by atheist Michael Newdow, whose daughter was being taught the Pledge in school, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled the phrase "under God" an unconstitutional endorsement of monotheism when the Pledge was promoted in public school. In 2004, the Supreme Court heard Elk Grove Unified School District v. Newdow, an appeal of the ruling, and rejected Newdow's claim on the grounds that he was not the custodial parent, and therefore lacked standing, thus avoiding ruling on the merits of whether the phrase was constitutional in a school-sponsored recitation. On January 3, 2005, a new suit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California on behalf of three unnamed families. On September 14, 2005, District Court Judge Lawrence Karlton ruled in their favor. Citing the precedent of the 2002 ruling by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, Judge Karlton issued an Order stating that, upon proper motion, he will enjoin the school district defendants from continuing their practices of leading children in pledging allegiance to "one Nation under God".[10]

In 2004, linguist Geoffrey Nunberg criticized the addition of "under God" for a different reason. The original supporters of the addition thought that they were simply quoting Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. However, Nunberg said that to Lincoln and his contemporaries, "under God" meant "God willing" and they would have found its use in the Pledge of Allegiance grammatically incorrect.[11][12]

A bill — H.R. 2389 — was introduced in Congress in 2005 which, if enacted into law, would have stripped the Supreme Court and most federal courts of the power to consider any legal challenges to government requiring or promoting of the Pledge of Allegiance. H.R. 2389 was passed by the House of Representatives in July 2006, but failed due to the Senate's not taking it up. Even if a similar bill is enacted, its practical effect may not be clear: proponents of the bill have argued that it is a valid exercise of Congress's power to regulate the jurisdiction of the federal courts under Article III, Section 2 of the Constitution, but opponents question whether Congress has the authority to prevent the Supreme Court from hearing claims based on the Bill of Rights (since amendments postdate the original text of the Constitution and may thus implicitly limit the scope of Article III, Section 2).

In 2006, in the Florida case Frazier v. Alexandre, No. 05-81142 (S.D. Fla. May 31, 2006) "A federal district court in Florida has ruled that a 1942 state law requiring students to stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance violates the First and Fourteenth Amendments of the U.S. Constitution.[13]

Article found here

1 2 9 10 11 13 15 16 17 24 25