Community > Posts By > premierblue

premierblue's photo
Mon 03/31/14 02:02 AM
Hi,
I just read your post. You can always cold send your resume to the dept. chairman but there is a downside to it. You run the risk of being cold shouldered as your job appl. will be basically unsolicited. (When in my late teens my dad used to always tell me to never shy away from asking somebody for advice/help/a job, etc. The worst that could happen is you'll get "no" for an answer.)
You wrote "Problem is there are currently no positions available at the unversity that fit my qualifications". If a full time teaching position is not available have you thought about taking up an adjunct faculty position. Is the univ. at Flagstaff an Arizona State U? In most U's students rate faculty at the end of the quarter/semester. If at the end of 2-3 quarts/sems your students rate you highly the dept. chair could consider giving you a full time position, even if it is not tenured!
This happened to me in 1992. I graduated 4.00 GPA with an MBA in Los Angeles. The dean of the busn school & one of the dept. chairs were behind me to take up a teaching position at the busn school. Since I was already working full time with the federal govt. I opted for an adjunct position. One year later the dean & dept. chair (based on highly rated student feedback) tried talking me into taking up a full time position but I had to decline the offer. (In those days the fed govt had some of the best non-salary benefits and what with jetting around the world at Uncle Sam's expense! It's another story that I quit 11 yrs into my job.)
My advice to you, go ahead and cold send your resume and hope for the best. Dont shy away even if it's an adjunct position. Best of luck.
Sam.

premierblue's photo
Thu 03/27/14 07:50 AM
Edited by premierblue on Thu 03/27/14 07:55 AM
:smile: Conrad_73, Neanderthals inhabited Alaska, and elsewhere, 12000 years ago!!!

premierblue's photo
Thu 03/27/14 07:44 AM
This is like comparing apples & oranges. First, Alaska was bought by the USA, at a then fair price of $7.2 million*, from Czarist Russia in the 19th century, while Crimea was gifted in 1954 to the Ukraine SR by the Russian SR (all constituent republics of the USSR). Second, the standard of life in Alaska is far higher than in the Crimea for the Alaskans to want to join Russia, which inspite of its vast natural resources had the lowest per capita GDP of the G-8 countries. In the final analysis, it's all about the money honey!!!
* This, btw, was before the discovery of oil anywhere!

premierblue's photo
Thu 03/27/14 06:51 AM
Edited by premierblue on Thu 03/27/14 07:39 AM
This must be the joke of the day, right?!!!

premierblue's photo
Mon 03/10/14 01:43 AM
Edited by premierblue on Mon 03/10/14 01:47 AM
Pls give me some constructive criticism of my profile. Be objective. How can I make it better? Have I said too much about myself?

1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 18 Next