Community > Posts By > donthatoneguy

donthatoneguy's photo
Wed 06/29/11 05:32 AM
funches = awesome. Cheers! drinker

donthatoneguy's photo
Wed 06/29/11 04:56 AM
Edited by donthatoneguy on Wed 06/29/11 04:58 AM

so you think the matrix got it right as far as our understanding of humans a few years ago when it was filmed? we can dodge bullets??? 2001 recieved much acclaim for it's authenticity in 1968 when it was released but 2001 actally happened a decade ago. how much in the movie turned out to actually have happened?

Um, the Matrix was a fictional place within the story designed by the computers ... of course we can't dodge bullets or fly. I think every other person here took from my post that I'm not talking about the events in these films because they are obviously works of fiction, I'm talking about the science behind the events. I'm talking about the EFFORT by the writers/filmmakers to get the science of power, travel and technology (and how it MAY WORK) correct (theoretically, obviously) when making their books or films. Should I footnote everything I say just for you in every discussion you're involved in?

science is great stuff on an intellectial plain. sci fi, the bible, the koran, etc., is simply fiction dreamed by man. arguing sci fi against religion is like throwing water to a drowning man.

I wasn't arguing "Sci-fi v. Religion" ... my argument (which was clarified in the next paragraph if you'd actually read the post) was that even non-believers, picturing or debating or writing conjecture about the future of society, include religion in the general form its in today.

Read.

donthatoneguy's photo
Mon 06/27/11 06:56 PM
"Mommy, this morning I woke up and found lincoln logs in me sock drawer."

"That's the story of Jesus."

donthatoneguy's photo
Mon 06/27/11 06:00 PM

faith, is the substance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen..

I can have faith that by playing the lottery, one day I'll win and be rich ... chances are, that's NOT going to happen.

"God is real because I believe." Well, when I was a child, I believed the Easter Bunny hid eggs in my yard, Santa Claus came down the chimney every year and fireflies glowed because fairies were trapped in their bellies. None of that is real, however. Faith is not evidence of anything.

donthatoneguy's photo
Mon 06/27/11 04:59 PM
Intelligent Sci-fi = movies and series that got the science correct as far as the understanding of humans at the time of their writing/filming.

As far as the burden of proof, it does not fall upon the non-believer. The person (people) making outrageous claims must prove truth just like everything else in the world. "This man shot me an hour ago." "Where's your wound?" "Um ... it went away." "Right."

So, this includes your imaginary sky-daddies.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sun 06/26/11 05:31 PM

its another stereotype, that christians believe in being good 'merely' because 'you'r told to by God'

Actually, the most common argument I hear from any religious is that without God there would be no morality. My counter-argument is that I do not need God to tell me how to treat other people. Why? My response to your statement:

I doubt most people could explain to you why they feel some things are 'good' and others 'bad', let alone pinpoint one exclusive contributing factor

Scientists have explained this actually. Its a behavior that's been programmed into us since before the first established civilizations. This "right" and "wrong" defines us as social beings and what we consider bad (attacking/killing others, stealing, etc--in otherwords, things that aren't mutually beneficial) gives the species as a whole the best chance of survival.

Look into "(progressive) social evolution".

its not much different than determining legal vs illegal, its a standard that comes in large part from external factors and how the environment/culture defines it,,,,,again, with or without religion

You are right, culture defines laws ... however, I am still right because the counter-argument is that since the greater majority of people are religious, or at least claim to be (only 16% of this country is atheist), then laws are generally reflective of the most prominent religion. Proof?

No one here can deny that anti-gay marriage laws are based SOLELY on religious views. Anti-Abortion legislation is based SOLELY on religious views. Anti-Stem Cell Research legislation is based SOLELY on religious views. Even the simple inability to buy liquor on Sunday in some areas on the country are based SOLELY on religious views. Sorry.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sun 06/26/11 03:49 PM

I just tire of being told that its pointless to be 'good' AND follow a religion

I personally believe it counts more towards your act to do good because you are choosing to be a good person rather than merely because "you're told to (by God)".

if people were to love God completely, I could say, it would eliminate alot of evil in the world

The Crusades, Conquistadors, witch-hunts, suicide bombers ... Just a few examples of the "elimination of evil in the world" by various religious folk. Think about it. All these people "loved God" and yet more murder has been committed in the name of religion than for any other reason. Ever. Hands down.

So --I-- CAN say that your statement is absolutely incorrect.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sun 06/26/11 03:14 PM
Nothing will ever be accepted. Take a look at particularly intelligent sci-fi series and films: Star Trek, Firefly, Fifth Element (yes, I know this is a quasi-religious film in and of itself), The Matrix, etc. Also know that many of the writers and directors are themselves atheists who still understand that no matter how technology progresses and how much understanding humanity has of the universe, religion will still exist in pretty much the form it exists now.

No one who believes will ever understand that what they believe is because of WHERE and TO WHOM they were born (in most cases). Born in America? You're most likely going to be a Christian. Born in Afghanistan? Most likely a Muslim. Born in India? Most likely Hindu. Yes, you have a few converts here and there, but that's mainly those who aren't finding what they need in their default religion and either by fluke coincidences (they believe to be miracles or the voice of whatever God) or personal preference in what is written (because it sounds good), they will transpose themselves.

And they will never make the connection unless they suspend their own belief in these ancient fables for any given amount of time. Its just not going to happen.

And by the way, to those of you saying you "accept" and "respect" other systems of belief, you do not. By proclaiming yourself a member of any religion, you believe you are right and therefore its an AUTOMATIC assumption on your part that everyone else is wrong and foolish for their dissenting belief. Its impossible for circumstances to be otherwise ... you know the "truth" and those not of your denomination are "lost". If a Christian does not believe s/he was right, they wouldn't rightly be a Christian, would they?

Religion is mostly territorial. I spent the first seven years of my life in Tennessee. Guess the religion of the majority of my family? No, its not Hindi, just as its not likely you'll find a native of India to be a Southern Baptist. And they still won't make (or accept) that connection.

And before anyone calls me "bitter" or "angry", I'll freely admit it. My beef with religion is not the 'morals' it proclaims to pass on, its the fear behind it. The "believe or burn" mentality, the "I'm better than you because my imaginary friend can beat up (is better than) your imaginary friend".

Its all grade school and yes MG, its just as juvenile as spitballs.

My $.02.

donthatoneguy's photo
Mon 06/20/11 06:01 AM
I believe he's calling himself "girly" for feeling used.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 06/17/11 08:50 PM
I just wish I could get one of those Scientologists at my door ... I could laugh for HOURS!

"Huh, Sunday afternoon ... to hell with it, come on in. Want some coffee? Start from the beginning. Wait, let me call Guiness, the forthcoming mirth may be a record ..."

Hehehe.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 06/17/11 03:01 PM
Forget what? Is there something I remembered? Ha ha!

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 06/17/11 02:58 PM
Having been through this myself, my suggestion: Leave. That's all. I tried to work it out, I ignored it for a time myself, but several factors can mean that the option to work it out isn't an option.

If she won't admit it even when you KNOW and have proof and can state the situation exactly as it happened. If she skirts questions by asking her own, or bringing up situations where you weren't exactly the "perfect mate" (not necessarily cheating, just something where you may have been wrong). And if she "tests" you with loaded situations ... one of my "tests" was her deleting nude pictures from her camera for distribution and then deleting them, only to say when I told her I saw them anyway that it was a "test" to see if I would say anything.

Combine all of the above and she's psycho, so leave ... there's no amount of working it out that's going to keep you from constantly wondering or worrying if everything has really been fixed. If she changes, it won't be for you. Just something you'll have to deal with.

I have my 2 little girls every summer (for the entire summer) and we have fun and they enjoy their time with me. The child(ren) deserve to be happy with their parents, even if that means they see them separately. Seeing at least one parent constantly on edge and easily aggravated because of their marital relationship isn't good.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 06/17/11 02:38 PM

why must a preference involve looking down on anyone

IF I prefer tall men, and there are an abundance to choose from,, why does that mean I am looking down on short men?

its just a matter of preference, christians have them like anyone else

fitness buffs probably arent interested in the overweight very often
harvard grads are probably not interested often in high school dropouts

people can lean in the directions of those they feel will 'relate' to them best and who share their values,,,nothing wrong in it,,,

Agreed. I've lost all desire to criticize someone for any preferences, though I'm sure others will criticize me for the same. Should anyone have to settle for everything they don't want? I won't, so if that makes me "shallow" or "callous", then say what you will.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 06/17/11 02:10 PM
I've always wanted to hang an inverted cross on my door as a sign to the various messengers of faith, I've just never been in a living situation where it was accepted by the entire household (I've lived in apartments with multiple roommates and the ex-wife wasn't fond of the idea either).

I used to get angry, but frankly, now I just treat it as a challenge. If I can make them question their faith while they are trying to make me question my lack thereof, I think its a pretty fair exchange. Screw it.

Over the past few years, I've made several people question what they believe (and two of them even broke down and cried). If nothing else, the next time someone says "no thanks, leave me alone", maybe they will.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 06/17/11 01:56 PM

really not surprising

2 Timothy 3
1 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Its everywhere

As I've noted before ... anyone observing humanity for any length of time whatsoever can make this kind of "prediction". There has been plenty of debauchery and selfishness throughout every age of the time of Man and the per capita rarely changes significantly and depend largely on social imbalances.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 06/10/11 10:14 AM

The best way to get someones attention is to cover yourself with marshmallow cream and run up to them screaming that you were attacked by a giant stay puff marshmallow man.

My response: "What did you do, Ray?" laugh

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 06/10/11 10:05 AM

No, I'd rather just use common sense and decency. If you need to take a pill or anything to stop you from having babies, you have bigger problems. whoa

Hear, hear! Agreed.

One other question, though:

But with the burden of pregnancy falling largely to females, some women say they wouldn't count on it alone.

Aside from the movie "Junior" with Ah-nuld!, have there been men giving birth? laugh

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 06/10/11 09:59 AM

mr caposton the points you made are not true either go back to your bible,in the old testement there is things in there what GOD did but he has his reasons

We mortals are mere amusement. I used to create deathtraps for G.I. Joes for the same reason. lol. Interesting to imagine a GOD who LOVES us playing "death to action figures!" with our frail little bodies. Weeeeeeee!

and he is GOD ALMIGHTY who are any of us to question a true and living GOD who will have his way,its not us to judge him,its him who is the judge, and the biggest judgement has to come yet you can ask him then why!

You ever pray for something? In praying, aren't you questioning God? Aren't you asking for His mind to change from the grand scheme He's designed?

bearing in mind you will be all alone when that day comes when you stand in front of a fearfull GOD,and he listens to no excuses from man.

My response: "Whatever. You should've been more vocal instead of leaving it up to corrupt HUMANS to inform me about your existence. Time to go watch some sweet concerts in Hell! Weeeeeeeeeee!" LOL

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 06/07/11 07:44 PM
Only until Terminator 3 told us that August 29th, 1997 came and went, but Judgment Day was merely postponed.

Damn those persistent robots! Hehehe.

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 06/07/11 05:22 PM
Oh, sorry ... you did put "or" in there. Disregard. :D