Community > Posts By > donthatoneguy

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/09/11 06:39 AM

dallas/fort worth is not a military town.... there is a small naval base in fort worth, but niether is considered a military town... ft. hood in kileen is a major military town, maybe the only one in texas...

The point being that these military bases are located close enough to (if not surrounded by) population centers that any attacks on those bases will have dire consequences for the surrounding populations. I lived on base at Lackland (San Antonio) for a year and know well its proximity to San Antonio (within the I-410 loop) which is a large city and not a "military town".

Arlington is more or less a military town and lies between Dallas/Fort Worth. This is still a major metropolitan area.

And most of these towns grew around the base. But since these people choose to live there they chose to live in a target Zone. I live in the target zone of N Korea. I would bet not one single lib here would weep for me if LA got nuked preemptively or old man Kim decides to get cocky and show us he can do it.

Maybe not for you specifically (:tongue:) but the civilian targets would indeed cause an rage throughout ALL the population, I'm sure.

A)

I don't like it but that is reality.

B)

I can try to survive unlike most of the others living here who will cry that we should have invested more into anti missile systems sooner. Obama stripped weapons defense research harshly, actually pretty close to zero.

A) Why don't you move? (curiosity)
B) So, again, why wasn't GWB focusing on N Korea rather than Iraq (who didn't have WMDs)? You keep spouting anti-Obama now, but were you equally pissed that Bush ignored N Korea?

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/09/11 06:11 AM

Our troops are not in Israel. Israel has their own troops
for their own self-defense. They don't rely on the U.S. for that.

True. They also, arguably I'm sure, have the best trained troops in the world and military service is mandatory for citizenship ... 3 years for men, 2 for women. Unless they are excused from military service for any reason, Israelis who haven't served cannot vote or participate at all in politics ... they also cannot work.

Our troops are not dying for Israel.

Israel has always supported the US in diplomatic initiatives,
economic cooperation, science and medical education and training,
agricultural collaborations - you name it. Primarily because we
share all the common values I listed above.

False.

Those countries and militant groups in the region that hate us? Primarily because of our support to Israel. Its the biggest reason Iraq has turned out as the fiasco its been.

so are the Israelis...if it wasn't for us, the muslims would have wiped them out years ago....

Not necessarily true. Israel's beaten the $#it out of anyone they've come in conflict with and it takes the UN saying "Whoa, whoa, whoa! Calm down! You can't just take land like that." I think they'll be ok if we stop the hefty donations. I'm fine giving them our outdated systems that we're replacing, but more than that is really unnecessary.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/08/11 08:24 PM
One last thing:

We don't make a point of having Military bases among population centers. Also Naval Harbors tend to be isolated anyways as well.

The follow are bases I've lived on or been to and their relationship to population centers:

1) Fort Bragg - home of the 82nd Airborne and basically the launchpoint on the eastern seaboard. It is surrounded by the city of Fayetteville, NC.

2) Lackland AFB - surrounded by San Antonio, TX

3) Fort Worth - Dallas, TX

4) Barksdale AFB - Situated directly between the metropolitan areas of Shreveport and Bossier City, LA

5) Fort Campbell - Surrounded by Clarksville, TN on the southern border and Hodgensville, KY on the northern.

These "military towns" are not only filled with the military and their dependents, but also business owners, civil servants and people from surrounding areas that enjoy the larger population centers and job opportunities.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/08/11 08:06 PM
I never claimed to have solutions, but I'll argue against a nuclear one because I don't feel I have any right to deny innocent bystanders their own right to live. I don't believe you or anyone else has that right either. Just as no one has that right to condemn you or I, either ... so long as we're bystanders and not instigators. :shrug:

You are far too quick to judge entire populations based on their governments. Its selfish, barbaric and emotionally juvenile. Defending yourself is one thing ... going to someone else's house who's a friend of your worst enemy and beating the $#it out of and crippling or killing their entire family is completely different.

So, call me a bleeding heart if you wish, but even if the above example happened to my own family, I'd not vote to condemn the assailant's entire family. Would you?

Think about it.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/08/11 07:43 PM
Properly quoting:

QUOTE FROM jeanebean---I don't abide insane zealots with their ridiculous silly superstitious ideas about a picture of a galaxy. I'm so tired of this insanity.

QUOTE FROM jeanebean---I believe it is vitally important for the future of the world that the truth be discovered about the fake religions of Islam, Christianity and Judaism.

You jumped straight on the band wagon as usual after Rkisit said this---In Genesis 1:1-26, God created plants on the third day and fish and birds on the fifth day. On the sixth day, He created animals and man.

2. In Genesis 2:7-25, God created man first. Then He created plants. Then, for man to have company, God created animals and birds. And finally, God created woman.

hell you can't even get past the first 2 genesis without there being a lie and a very conflicting story,funny thing is pastors have tried to neglect answering why this is written this way,all they say is genesis2 is a more detailed discription,REALLY but the days are still mismatched,so which one is correct?

but you religious people will still "stand by your man"

i can't believe the authors of the fictional bible didn't even catch that typo.

ANSWER---READ the bible before quoting scripture and make sure your glasses are on if you have bad eye sight then you will see the scripture that says in gen 2:4 This is the HISTORY of the Heavens and the earth when they were CREATED,in the day that the LORD GOD made the earth and the heavens.

That was discussed. MsHarmony defended that more succinctly.

Jeanebean ---- this was on one of your many many threads you have made on here to totally discredit GOD,HIS WORD AND CHRISTIANS who have had experiences with GOD ALMIGHTY, are sensible peaple,some very well educated,some in top jobs,professors ect ect,who are far from insane as you put it, all the way through every thread,
as you say we are fake ect and you have the gall to slander,call us liers,say there is no proof of what we have said time and time again,like i said before you are a instigator and thats because you want others to believe what you preach on here ALL THE RUBBISH that comes out of your mouth,you are very argumentive about what ANYONE says to you.

Anyone who questions religion is (obviously) an instigator. It takes courage to stand up to what so many others believe. Our argument (yes, I'll lump myself over to her side on this ... I'm surprised you haven't already) is that you are NOT a sensible person if you believe you've had experiences with the God of the Bible. It doesn't matter how well-educated you are, where you work, what you do outside of that career or anything else ... insanity is still insanity. Many people from all walks of life have been placed in sanitariums due to different types of psychological illnesses ... a few of them Christians who've killed people in the name of God.

I dont really know what you are doing on religous threads to be honest because you know nothing at all about it,before you come at anyone about what they believe, you need to take a long hard look at what you are on about in enlightenment ect because this is not a good path to take which it shows for what it really is which i will say again TOTAL RUBBISH.

You go to church to hear preaching and that isn't sufficient enough for you not to preach to others. In that same regard , you'll just have to deal with hearing others preach. Its called "freedom of speech". As its been explained before, there is no requirement of "must be religious" to post here. Freedom of speech. So long as you are not being personally attacked, you cannot tell people they cannot post here. Ideals CAN be attacked here, which is, if anything, the argument JB "instigated".

CAN i ask do you like anyone or is it just your self?
CAN i ask is there only you who is right all the time?
CAN i ask is there only you who studies?
CAN i ask is there only you who wants evidence of anything that is said to you?

I think a few of us have answered that by joining in the discussion.

NEARLY done---ON one of your many many threads you said---NO where in the new testament does it say GOD is the GOD of Abraham--- you make out you know the bible put your glasses back on again and take a look in the NEW TESAMENT in matthew 22:32 by the way this means chapter 22 verse 32 I AM THE GOD OF ABRAHAM THE GOD OF ISAAC AND THE GOD OF JACOB
GOD IS NOT THE GOD OF THE DEAD BUT OF THE LIVING.

The text of the original post for this thread states Christianity as an Abrahamic religion (partaining to the God of Abraham).

Yes its there if you care to eat your words,its about time you stopped stirring on these threads if you dont want to listen on a religous thread then its quite an easy solution,DONT.

The same could be said in reverse. If you're going to be offended by someone questioning your ideals, don't read.

PPS the darkness is always shown up for its lies when the truth is spoken.flowerforyou

Apparently, not always.

PPPS I am not here to bit and bat with you either,its just rediculas the answers you give to peaple who are putting there piont of view accross of what they believe, you try to rip to pieces with your tounge,NEWS for you it wont work! because we have the truth we have peace in JESUS.Night night and GOD BLESS TO YOU flowerforyou

Its called "debate". If I don't agree with something, I'm going to question it. If the answers aren't logical, I'm going to argue the point. If we believed you had the truth, this discussion would not be occurring. Anyone just saying they're telling the truth doesn't make it fact ...

Don't take this as a personal attack, but can you please try to type slower and make more sense when you post? It would be very helpful. If not, at least try to proofread once you're done?

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/08/11 01:07 PM

and after the waters were lowered Noah looked to his wife,his sons and their wives and said "alrighty then we better start screwing we got to start populating again,you 2 can make oriental babies,you 2 can make black babies,you 2 can make middle eastern babies and my wife and i will work on north,central and south american babies along with the whites.I have know idea how we'll get them over there to the Americas cause the ark is stuck on this mountain but i'm sure god has a plan."

:laughing:

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/08/11 12:49 PM
I don't sit on my computer all day. Sorry.

I wasn't for Iraq 1 or 2 becasue I seen both actions for what they were. We should have been done in Iraq the first pass but I said from the start then we would leave it as unfinished business.

Now you talk about focusing on N Korea, HOW EXACTLY? COMMIT TROOPS AND RESOURCES TO FAKE WE WILL TAKE THEM ON? No, we need top bust N Korea's azz the next time they shoot their mouths off. They rattle the saber, we launch a cruise missile on their palace. they start an artillery barrage on Seoul we nuke the artillery fields and then their military bases. China sends their army in we nuke them too. China attempts to sink a carrier group, we use SMIII to shoot the missile down and then we nuke them too! The UN pisses blood. We tell them to put up or shut up and we get to the business of mopping up what is left and let Korea enjoy some peace for a change and China gets a big mouth full of "SHUT THE HELL UP!"

That is how to conclude this. Show the world we GOT the balls to deal with a nuclear threat. Think Iran will be so ready to shoot their mouths off if they see us level N Korea's military and put China in their place? Like i said before, Russia is not stupid enough to risk getting nuked over China getting their fingers burned screwing with us. the only people I would feel sorry for is the Civilians caught in the middle of their ruling body's BS.

The time for talk is over. We need to cut their aid off completely. Like Pakistan they deserve nothing!

Read: Hate, hate, hate. Your answer to everything is kill a $#!t ton of civilians so YOU and others LIKE you can be satisfied. You "feel sorry" for civilians caught in the middle, but you have no qualms slaughtering them in the hundred thousands or millions ... sick

Janet Reno, A DEMOCRAT! MASSIVELY overstepped her authority and used Military assets against civilians in direct contradiction of the Constitution. She should have been put before criminal charges for what she ordered!!! David Koresh could have been arrested peacefully but the FBI chose to do it the hard way and impose their power on a group of people who handed them their azzes!

How about Ruby Ridge too?

You STILL didn't answer the question. Would you nuke a US city because of a small contingent of troublemakers hiding among the population?

Presentation is everything. You chose to bring up racism. Not me. You also seem to be under some impression I am a republican.

I'm convinced you have no idea what racism is. As far as your political affiliations, you're constantly making remarks against "liberals", so the only thing I'm assuming is that you're not. However, you do little more than spew anti-Democrat rhetoric like a Republican, though, and mimic their "I'm more important than everyone else" attitude with perfect clarity. Kudos.

First of all GUNBOAT DIPLOMACY WORKS! Nothing gets belligerent nation leaders to pay attention when they know they are about to gt pulverized. N Korea has a 1M man army. Pretty meaningless when we can dump NEUTRON BOMBS, Safe clean non polluting Neutron Bombs and vaporize their military assets. Why do you think Russia hates our Star Wars programs? We can nuke them and they CAN'T NUKE US! That is the idea and that has them in negotiations with us. I can see eventually sharing that tech once Russia and the US can stabilize relations and put China in its place rather than wait for their impending world conquest. Before the end of the rule of the Chinese emperors they actually felt they already were in control of the world. Their arrogance got their azzes handed to them. Some of them still want to rule the world like so many short sighted men adn women!

And not a word of this is an actual response to anything I said. Just the same "bomb them!" repetition.

I do agree with George Dubbaya, screw the UN! they are a bunch of two faced shittheads! Largest organization of self important self aggrandizing men and women I ever seen! Like I said, Congress could have said no and where would George Dubbya be today? Like Clinton didn't falsify his share of data? And Obama isn't a walking falsification?

Actually, I'm curious on that mark, as well. We'll never know, but I have the feeling Iraq was going to happen with or without Congressional approval.

Pakistan deserves to be dissolved as a nation and India should deal with the region! We could make huge points helping India reclaim their territory and we can deal with the Taliban and Al Quieda in a way that keeps our hands free of some of the dirty work. At least India would have handed Bin Laden to us if they had the chance.

So long as we're "returning territory", lets go nuts and give Israel back to the Palestinians. We can recreate Yugoslavia as well. Poland goes back to Germany, etc. and we "Americans" can go back to Europe, Asia and Africa and give the entirety of the U.S. back to the Native American tribes that are left.

That'll solve everything, right?

You don't like Chicken and biscuits? You are a racist! (Want to talk about absurd now?)

You've been talking absurd all along.

NICE TRY! AGAIN YOU PROVE YOUR INTELLECTUAL IGNORANCE! I have even read the Book of Mormon. I find that one book to be a supreme lie unto itself. But of all of the Mormons I met most of them were decent people trying to make good lives for themselves and their community. And of all the religions what do you know of Buddhism? Chances are nothing. It is the least Hypocritical religion out there. How about India's Pantheon Animism? It isn't about war or killing people. Their gods are facets of nature and mankind. It is about personal growth and enlightenment and peace.

Religion is a way for people to grapple with the unknown but like anything it can and has been perverted by evil people. I spent years having people tell me God is Love when I seen the flip side of God constantly. If God made everything God also had to make evil. So now I am like a religious fanatic? Hey, look in the mirror here! Your hatred is showing! You dare try to compare religion to my desire to see us use the big stick against some of these deserving punk nations? Come on, that is false equivocation!

On top of that Religion has been a part of human culture since we walked upright and began to conspire against one another. I could tolerate Islam like any other religion even though I don't agree with them if it was not for their tenants about dealing with Infidels like me.

How do you make a dictator scared? Wipe out his army. How do you do that? Hit them with the needed force to kill them without risking the lives of your own soldiers. We nuke the N Korean Artillery Fields THEY WILL HAVE TO SUE FOR PEACE OR WE KEEP HITTING THEM UNTIL THEY DO! We don't have to nuke cities unless they surround a military base. But since N Korea wants to threaten us with nukes lets show them the folly of such threats! Lets give them a good reason to want to end the war! LETS HIT THEM LIKE THE HAND OF GOD ITSELF! All the UN will do is huff and puff and make noise but when the smoke settles we will get peace from it. And the rest of the world ganging up on us? Yeah, right. I could see it if we went crazy and nuked some poor undeserving nation for no reason. Iran and N Korea got it coming!

Let us look back to 1971 when Egypt struck Israel on their sabbath. Israel was about to nuke Egypt but our reconnaissance planes took pictures of the Jericho Missile being aimed at them and Egypt sued for peace before they got their azzes handed to them.

Time for America to grow a pair!

Again, read: Hate, hate, hate. "Bomb them all so I and others like me feel warm and fuzzy." You do nothing but consistently back your own hatred for anyone who disagrees with your world view with "nuke".

I've lost interest. Like every fundamentalist (and most hardcore political party affiliates), every argument I have and will make you will respond with "you show your ignorance!" Presentation doesn't matter, because unless I say "we need to nuke everyone who hates America", it will not be a presentation you'll agree with. A closed mind cannot breathe.

I'll leave discussion with the only fact I know you can agree with: you are not the only person on the planet.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/08/11 09:20 AM
BTW, as per your questions, Peter:

Genesis 6:17 -- And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.

Everything that is in the earth = ENTIRE world flood.

Genesis 6:19 -- And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.

every living thing = all animals.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/08/11 09:11 AM
Edited by donthatoneguy on Fri 07/08/11 09:29 AM

A) So, what? It was a localized flood that required Noah to gather ALL the animals of the Earth? Well, that clears up everything, then. I hope God made it conveniently next to a zoo, at least? How nice of him. (Really, I hope you did not expect me to avoid being facetious here).

Actually, I expected deflection tactics. So now you'll concede the flood wasn't worlwide? Where do you get the info of "ALL" the animals from now? This should prove interesting as I've never verified that avenue of translation.

Abra handled this rather nicely, but I'll add that the intention of the flood was to wipe out all of mankind and start over ... was that supposed to be accomplished with a localized flood? And where? And the Bible doesn't state "God told Noah, 'Collect all the animals you can see from your house here. I'm gonna flood a few square miles. These people are whack.'"

B) Every Fundamentalist Christian I've spoken to (and there's been a LOT of them) all have claimed that the Earth was created between 12k and 13k years ago. Its not dishonesty, I'm merely relaying claims made by the faithful. If that offends you, I'd start talking to the other Christians you know.

So when confronted with your error, you deny any wrongdoing yet further "qualify" your uneducated fallacies with "Fundamentalist".
Nice try, but you're busted. You can take this lesson for the future and pre-qualify all statements with whatever you like.

Fundamentalist: One who believes the Bible is complete and whole truth of the world and its history.

I've "qualified" this by stating beliefs and a particular (and literal) interpretation of the Bible made by a LARGE group of Christians. This does not disqualify my statements as error nor "bust me" for stating them as the "beliefs and a particular (and literal) interpretation of the Bible made by a LARGE group of Christians." If the Bible is to be taken literally as complete truth, these are the ideals of those who follow hold it as such. I'm not going to take the time to write out a hundred pages defining the particular beliefs of every group of Christians, that would be a little silly, don't you think?

So people who have faith in the judicial system, and have never themselves actually dealt with that system, was given their faith by God? This seems to be the new favorite word, so I'll use it: Fallacious!

I guess I should have used a smiley as it seems "lol" isn't in whatever book you get your faith from. From now on when addressing one of your posts, I'll point out what is a joke. <this is serious

My apologies. I did not associate the "lol" in that context.

This was mostly a silly statement made as a jab at Cowboy's use of quotes and my quoting his name ... not really meant to be something contested. If you re-read it, you can see the joke for what it is. I suppose I could have used a smiley ...

Quite aware of the joke and I perpetuated it with the "we" and " "Atheist" " usage. Funny how this Golden Child gets chastised for it you don't though. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy, wasn't really directed to you. Next time I'll label it as comic relief.

That part I understood as perpetuation of the joke. This was directed toward others. I should have specified.

That being said, though, I cannot remember encountering an atheist who throws quotes around "God" or "Christian" (except as I have here because they are grammatically correct in application when referring to the words themselves--something I neglected to do in my last post specifically for purpose of example) as a way to belittle or insult a group ... even inadvertently. So, in that regard, I can speak for other atheists I know because I'm not speaking of their beliefs, merely recognized habits of print. I apologize if that actually offends any other atheist. happy lol

I am hardly uneducated where the Bible is concerned. Sorry. As I've stated in another thread recently, I was raised Southern Baptist and I know the material better than most of the Christians I've ever spoken with. I've pointed out inconsistencies of the text with belief but it always boils down to the same thing: People will believe whatever they want to believe.

Well I'm not like most Christians you're ever spoken with then. I'm very uneducated where the Bible is concerned yet I know more than I should.

If you are not a fundamentalist (the particular group I've been talking about), then I guess you would have no reason have beef with my arguments? And since you're uneducated where the Bible is concerned, how could you possibly accuse me of misrepresenting material you, yourself, are unfamiliar with? Hypocrisy, anybody?

Again, want to be offended? Talk to your fellow believers. They're saying this $#it, I'm just the messenger.

What a cop-out! "They" aren't the ones here posting, you are. So by relaying your "message", you are speaking for yourself. Unless of course you wish to deny that and admit you're being instructed by Christians behind the scenes. Do you hear "voices" from my fellow believers?

Basically, you're saying I'm misrepresenting Christianity as a whole when I'm not even talking about Christianity as a whole. I'm presenting the views of the Bible in its literal interpretation which is believed by a large group of people as its been explained to me by those people.

I do hear their voices (and see their print) all the time, because these people are EVERYWHERE ... and a some of them post here. So is it wrong of me to state and argue against those beliefs? No, not at all.

If you are not one of these people, what's your beef?

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/08/11 08:14 AM

I don't know if the rich have more disposable monies than the poor, expressed as a percentage of their income or of their assets.

A bank manager who makes $100K a year is "rich" in my eyes, especially if his wife, a drug store owner, also makes $250K a year.

But.

They have Johnny at Yale, Beata in Havergal, and their yacht is bought on loan, their $2,000,000 home has a $1,900,000 mortgage, and their cars are trashed, because he is an alcoholic and she is addicted to valium and morphine.

So at the end of the year, when the tax man cometh and goneth, they have aboot (I am Canadian) $4.29 in total that they can spend on frivolities, like a package of gummy bears. (It's a German-made candy.)

Increase their taxes, and their boat will sail out, they lose the home, the kids will be the laughing stock of their respective schools, and the couple will go on welfare and die of disease and starvation

I'll probably not be popular with this reply, but ... "Waaaaah"?

So the couple is raking in 350k/year and I don't really consider them "rich", but when taxing anyone I don't think anything after the colleges for the kids should be considered. For years, the lower and middle classes have been chided for "living beyond their means" just because they wanted a house and/or a new car ... not necessarily because they were picky or greedy, but because they felt they deserved to have reliability and stability just like anyone else. Its one of the reasons Congress approved the bailout for the companies, instead of the homeowners when the housing market crashed.

That said, I don't particularly care if someone owns a yacht (as it doesn't get you to work ... or if it does, its a bit overboard--npi--a way to get there). I don't care if they have a $2M home either and I certainly don't care about his alcoholism and her medication addictions ... there are clinics for both of those.

But in particular, when I think rich, I generally think $500k/year and up. Especially those who make millions a year have little excuse for having no "disposable monies" for taxes. "Its tied up in investments!" "Then untie it ... you have until April 15th LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!"

donthatoneguy's photo
Thu 07/07/11 08:31 PM
Psst. Peter, in case you missed my response, its above your second post. happy

donthatoneguy's photo
Thu 07/07/11 07:35 PM
Edited by donthatoneguy on Thu 07/07/11 08:30 PM
Original post included for context:

Confidence is based on repetitive results or reasonable deduction based on similar experiences. You can be CONFIDENT that the Earth will rotate again so the sun appears in view to us on the morrow because at least 10,000 consecutive occurrences tells you its a likelihood. By that same merit, I can be confident in my ability to drive because I've done so for fifteen years and I'm still alive. I am not, however, confident that I will never die in a car accident just because I have not died yet. That would require:

Faith, which requires no repetitive results or deduction of any kind. Example: How many times have you witnessed God flooding the Earth? Answer: None, but you have faith because you read it in A book (or THE Book, as you say). There is also no record or evidence whatsoever of a flood of global proportions within the last 12,000 years that Christians claim as the total history of the earth, yet their 'faith' is maintained.

There's a HUGE difference.

By the way, there's no need to put Atheist in quotations. Its not a nickname or alias, "Cowboy". You don't see we atheists doing it with Christian or God or Muslim. Yes, it is used to define a broad range of beliefs, but so is Christian or God or Muslim.

Peter:

What? you didn't know the Bible doesn't state a world-wide flood?
Nor does it state 12,000 years.

So what kind of intellectual dishonesty is that? I'm Christian and I am here saying he's wrong. He made those fallacious claims, where's the proof you so often demand?

A) So, what? It was a localized flood that required Noah to gather ALL the animals of the Earth? Well, that clears up everything, then. I hope God made it conveniently next to a zoo, at least? How nice of him. (Really, I hope you did not expect me to avoid being facetious here).

B) Every Fundamentalist Christian I've spoken to (and there's been a LOT of them) all have claimed that the Earth was created between 12k and 13k years ago. Its not dishonesty, I'm merely relaying claims made by the faithful. If that offends you, I'd start talking to the other Christians you know.

Yeah I saw that... Faith comes from God so of course an "Atheist" won't have any. (lol)

I have confidence my car won't break down, but I have faith that it'll start each day.

So people who have faith in the judicial system, and have never themselves actually dealt with that system, was given their faith by God? This seems to be the new favorite word, so I'll use it: Fallacious! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

You can have confidence your car won't break down if you maintain it properly. You have faith it will start each day and that sounds correct too, for you cannot really experience the wear and destruction of certain mechanisms that wouldn't necessarily give warning. So ... yeah, right, that fits with my description.

Love the double standards... He can say "we" without you batting an eye but I can't? Gimme a break!

This was mostly a silly statement made as a jab at Cowboy's use of quotes and my quoting his name ... not really meant to be something contested. If you re-read it, you can see the joke for what it is. I suppose I could have used a smiley ...

That being said, though, I cannot remember encountering an atheist who throws quotes around "God" or "Christian" (except as I have here because they are grammatically correct in application when referring to the words themselves--something I neglected to do in my last post specifically for purpose of example) as a way to belittle or insult a group ... even inadvertently. So, in that regard, I can speak for other atheists I know because I'm not speaking of their beliefs, merely recognized habits of print. I apologize if that actually offends any other atheist. happy lol

Absolutely nothing which is why you will never see me making huge, ethical debating blunders nor stating my claims based on uneducated fallacies (lies).

Really, it is easier to spot the lie.
Stop assuming you know what the truth is and your eyes will be opened and ready when it presents itself to you.

I am hardly uneducated where the Bible is concerned. Sorry. As I've stated in another thread recently, I was raised Southern Baptist and I know the material better than most of the Christians I've ever spoken with. I've pointed out inconsistencies of the text with belief but it always boils down to the same thing: People will believe whatever they want to believe.

Again, want to be offended? Talk to your fellow believers. They're saying this $#it, I'm just the messenger.

donthatoneguy's photo
Thu 07/07/11 06:38 PM
Edited by donthatoneguy on Thu 07/07/11 06:39 PM

confidence nor faith have 'requirements'

confidence and faith can both be the result of what a person has experienced, either the direct or indirect result,,,

You contradicted yourself. "... can be the result of what a person has experienced ..." That makes it a requirement, which is exactly what I said when I stated "reasonable deduction based on similar experiences".

Faith does not require experience nor evidence (as so many have stated in this thread and others), just the Bible or other religious text.

donthatoneguy's photo
Thu 07/07/11 06:28 PM

according to genealogy experts.

In 2008, the society discovered that Obama is related to seven previous presidents: George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush, Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford, Lyndon Johnson, Harry S. Truman and James Madison.

It also learned he was related to actor Brad Pitt and investor Warren Buffet.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan/31/nation/la-na-obama-scott31-2010jan31

Actually, I've seen one source recently that claimed all Presidents within the past fifty years or so can be traced back as descendants of John Adams.

donthatoneguy's photo
Thu 07/07/11 06:24 PM
Actually, Metalwing summed it up rather precisely:

The US does not hand Israel a check each year for the aid amount.

Part of the "package" is to give Israel slightly obsolete weapons systems to bolster their ability to defend themselves from the hostility which surrounds them. All of the weapons are not obsolete.
The larger market for the weapons creates US jobs and, through volume, causes less cost per unit to US weapons purchases.

Part of the "package" is to support Israeli intelligence and surveillance operations that the US would either do or want done in the area to keep track of hostile nation's forces, terrorism, and politics.

Part of the "package" is to fund joint operations in the case of an attack on Iran, etc.

Part of the "package" is pure anti terrorism operations.

donthatoneguy's photo
Thu 07/07/11 06:05 PM
What's up with you, Jeanniebean? Its ONLY 10 billion dollars. I mean, seriously ... what's 10 BILLION dollars? Its only 1% of our budget ... what could it do? Feed a few MILLION families? Save a few hundred thousand HOMES from being foreclosed? Send a MILLION kids to college?

PSSHHH! How dare you be so selfish ... for other people ...

What kind of American ARE you?

frustrated

... don'tya love it?

donthatoneguy's photo
Thu 07/07/11 05:23 PM

Explain to me how Lyndon Johnson (a famously racist President) fixed poverty? How did he prevent young people from having sex? How did he force them to get married before they got pregnant? How did he force them to finish HS or get a GED? You are so full of it.

This is the biggest part I did not agree with from your previous post ... marriage. I've read from several sources that 55% of new marriages end within the first four years (this includes annulments, etc). So even if you COULD get people to marry before having kids, it will do little to curb single parenthood (mind you, I did NOT say it would do "nothing" to curb).

What I found even more interesting was that 70% of SECOND marriages fail within the first four years. I guess if you've gone through it before, its no longer such a big deal, so screw it. laugh

donthatoneguy's photo
Thu 07/07/11 02:44 PM
Despite my agreement with MOST of that, it's still no excuse for cutting taxes on the rich.

donthatoneguy's photo
Thu 07/07/11 02:32 PM

They would have the opportunity if they tried.

They just want to get their money and foodstams so they can buy alcohol, drugs and cigarettes. Fking injuries and disabilities and milking unemployment.

Yup, such honest people. SHAMEFUL.

One of those hardcore bigots, aren't we? "Shame on you people for being poor! I don't care about your circumstances or where you came from, you're disgusting and you all deserve to rot!"

If you work hard enough you can achieve anything. Anyone (before Clinton and Obama) could start their own business and prosper. WOrk hard and get rewarded and make millions.

Wow ... really? Then why has the divide between the rich and poor grown so steeply since Reagan stepped foot in office? Its so irritating to see so many Americans advocating low taxes for the rich on the OFF-CHANCE that one day they might be one of them.

Reality check: ITS NOT LIKELY TO HAPPEN!

Here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/08/income-gap-between-rich-a_n_639984.html

Also: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2005550/Americas-pay-gap-Inequality-rich-poor-worse-revolutionary-Egypt.html

Those poor fu**ing rich people ...

Keep in mind, the disparity between the rich and the poor was one of the biggest contributors to the fall of Rome, a 1,000 year old empire ... we're just over 200 and we're approaching that level already.

donthatoneguy's photo
Thu 07/07/11 11:58 AM
This will be the eternal argument for the people who enable the rich to get richer and not pull their weight because they're 'privileged'.

LP, just so you can understand this statement, I'll point it out carefully: Hard Work -does not equal- rich. You can work (through pain). Congratulations. So can I (without it). That doesn't mean either of us are going to be rich. As I've told my stepfather during several political debates:

"No one's saying the poor should pay NOTHING," or 'skate', as you say. "We're asking that the rich pay a comparable amount along the scale for the privileges they enjoy for being rich." Instead, there's tax cuts for the top 2%, corporate tax cuts that also benefit that top 2%, stimulus packages that are thrown on top of that that most benefit the top 2% and incentives for large corporations that drive small business (and by effect, the rest of us HARD WORKERS) into the dirt.

Maybe you're happy busting your a$$ through constant pain while the Walton family sits back on theirs living it up without having to work a day, but if we're supposed to be a democracy that benefits the majority, then why is it the top 2% get most of the breaks?

Stop idolizing Reagan. Trickle-Down Economics means the top 2% get to pi$$ on you from their pedestals.

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 15 16