Community > Posts By > donthatoneguy

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/23/11 09:47 PM

ya and I vote we do something functional like go back to the gold standardwhoa

There's a good reason we're no longer on the gold standard. Bills were basically promisory notes, meaning anyone (most notably, foreign governments) could collect a bunch of our money and then demand the gold. Over time, the U.S. Treasury can get cleaned out and the dollar gets weaker all the while.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/23/11 09:26 PM

And considering the guy doing the shooting targeted a left wing youth event and he was right wing in personal politics...

Oh you WACKY liberals. So is this how you solve your arguments with society?

Yeah yeah, he was just one guy. But blame the guns now...

Come on, Lets hear it...

Liberal, here ... well, sorta ... :tongue: I blame the guy (yet another right-wing nutjob, huh?), not the gun. I am not anti-gun, I own a pistol myself. A gun is inanimate and cannot make decisions. Hell, maybe I'm not anti-gun JUST SO that I can own one.

While I don't necessarily agree that "one citizen with a gun" would've made all the difference in ALL situations (I think more often than not, they'd get themselves and others killed), I still think the fact that "in a disarmed society only criminals carry guns" should weigh more than most other concerns with firearms and with armed citizens there's at least a CHANCE of smaller body counts in said situations.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/23/11 10:39 AM
What's so bad about "Lucifer" (Bearer of Light)? I actually delivered Satan's pizza when I lived in Albany (not a joke).

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/23/11 09:54 AM

Who cares which party the cheaters or perverts belong to. Just kick them out and hope that their replacement is better.

Exactly. How about "Yet Another Political Sex Scandal"? ohwell

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/23/11 07:59 AM
Did you say "Yet Another Republican Sex Scandal" for Chris Lee, John Ensign or Newt Gengrich?

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/22/11 10:37 PM

Honestly, her symptoms sound like a simple partial seizure, a form of epilepsy. Lots of kids have epilepsy early on and out grow it, my daughter did. Do the eye problems only happen when she's watching TV or playing on the computer?

I still don't know, I keep pushing her to tell me when they start and stop, but she hasn't had any episodes the past two days. Epilepsy was the concern (when I mentioned neurological) since my ex has a mild form of epilepsy (though she only has a seizure MAYBE once a year ... it's a very rare occurrence). But as I said (note to Sweetestgirl11: Please pay attention to the course of the conversation), I made the appointment for the 28th and we'll go from there. The ex also made an appointment with the opthalmologist on the 18th of next month just in case.

She also apologized for her outbursts. Go figure.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/22/11 12:04 PM

(would love it if it weren't on so late on sunday nights due to the fact I work early Monday morning, but thankfully I can catch up on On Demand.)

Or if you're adventurous ... HBOGo.com >:) Just don't get fired. lol

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/22/11 12:00 PM

I haven't seen you around and I wanted to find out if your daughter is feeling better.

I actually took her Wednesday to the Heath Department's nurse practitioner (who saw her for free) who got the history and gave her a cursory exam (best she could do). Cadence's eyesight is still 20/20 and while she was first concerned it was neurological, there's no associated headaches, dizziness or any other symptoms that accompanies it, so she couldn't think of any other reason for it. She suggested making an appointment with an optometrist (took the appointment for the 28th) since they were better equipped and more knowledgeable and contacted a pediatrician to see if there was anything more they'd suggest.

I just got off the phone with the NP an hour ago and she said the pediatrician agreed, to see an optometrist and go from there. Cadence had no episode yesterday, but we're on our way to get the Zyrtec here in a few minutes.

I saw your picture with your two daughters, they are very cute. And I thought it was only my kids that used me a furniture when watching a movie. laugh Hope all is well.

Thanks. laugh Its not just movietime when I'm furniture, its ALL the time. I'm also a trampoline, catapult, springboard and, of course, the preferred mode of travel ... they like to sit on my feet while I'm walking.

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 07/19/11 10:43 PM

I've enjoyed most of his stuff, though I considered it on the simple side.

Exactly, that's why I was never a big fan. My biggest complaint was always that character development was almost nil and much like R. A. Salvatore in his mostly juvenile depiction of every persona and their relationships.

But yeah, all-in-all I enjoyed Seven Suns so far as I have read. I guess when given a bit of freedom (since it was not an established universe with boundaries he couldn't breach), he shines a lot brighter.

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 07/19/11 09:40 PM

Get her some children's allergy medicine, Zyrtec is non-drowsy, your pharmacist might be able to suggest others. Give it to her until the 27th or so. If she hasn't reported any more blurry vision episodes, then I would cancel the visit.

I'm wanting to get all political up in here, but I won't for your daughter's sake. I hope everything turns out well for her and hopefully this doesn't cause too much tension between you and her mother.

Ha! Appreciated and that's actually a really good suggestion, thanks. The ex actually had her taking Zyrtec and suggested I do the same (her reason, as expressed to me at the time was "just in case, I don't know if they're actually allergic or not"), but not being a big fan of unnecessary medication, I tried her without for the first week she was here. Since she didn't suffer any symptoms, I didn't consider it further.

Thanks all for the opinions and suggestions.

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 07/19/11 07:49 PM

Call the insurance company, they will be able to tell you what doctors/opthamologists are covered and get phone numbers for them. Vision is nothing to mess with, it may be nothing but you don't want to take that chance. Good luck and I hope everything works out well.

As per original post, Medicaid doesn't cover out-of-state except for emergencies. This is not an emergency they would cover.

New info: The periods of blurriness only last between ten minutes and half an hour at a time and then she's fine. No indication of cause yet.

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 07/19/11 06:33 PM
Edited by donthatoneguy on Tue 07/19/11 06:35 PM
Sorry, double post

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 07/19/11 06:33 PM

If the problem was allergies, then it wouldn't be the other more serious concerns....

I wonder whether the doctors are thinking 'allergy->watering->blurred vision', or if there is a way that allergies could blur vision without watering.

If the former, it seems like you would be able to see, with careful inspection, whether or not her eyes are watering.

If these doctors are saying 'before school starts', I wonder if they mean: 'get her tested before her education suffers from a vision problem", or "get her tested within two weeks".

Well, I gave them the details, even stressed that it was never both eyes at once and the lack of any other symptoms and that was their response.

I have no basis for the following hypothesis, but my first thought when she told me was 'it sounds like her eyes are figuring out which is the dominant', but I haven't researched the possibility.

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 07/19/11 06:06 PM
And just for clarification ... if all this started when she got here over a month ago, I'd have not worried about the money ... I'm talking about a matter of two weeks, not two months.

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 07/19/11 06:02 PM

Justme,

You make several good points, but I'm sure you agree we ought not to respond that way to every possible medical problem. That would be insane.

Intermittent blurring of one eye at a time? I think dont is taking the intelligent approach here, and doing a little research and asking questions before reactively wasting money based on fear and over-protective parenting.

OP stated that 2 Doctors have told him to get her checked out. 2/3's of OP's post was about money. I would have thought he did his research.

In my opinion, it is not wasted money, over-protection or insane to save a child's eyes. JMO

Read. I said both docs said she should have an eye exam before school starts ... neither of them flipped out and said "immediately! Go now! Why are you calling?!"

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 07/19/11 05:56 PM

Dont, exactly how do you know that her vision is becoming unclear? What does she say? Have you tried testing her vision in some way? Do her eyes water? Does it seem to happen at any particular time of day, or under any particular circumstance?

If its both, but never simultaneously, this implies the blurriness is intermittent. Do you have any sense of how long it lasts?

It was a week ago, she was playing a game on the computer and started saying stuff like "oh, now I can't see" and she made this statement a couple or three times. I thought nothing of it because she didn't talk to me directly, so I assumed it was part of the game. A minute later, I was watching over her shoulder and saw nothing about any kind of blindness effect in the game, yet she said it again ... so I asked. She said she couldn't see out of her right eye.

We turned off the game, I looked into her eyes to see if there was any variation in dilation. She covered her right eye, could see fine. Covered the left and she said she could see how many fingers, but it was a little blurry. Since this was 7 PM, I started making calls the next day to see who would accept the insurance.

We spent the rest of the week at my sister's and she didn't complain and when I asked, she said she was fine. I was without vehicle there, but I continued to make calls there as well (she lives almost two hours from where I do), but no one was accepting. I did talk to a doc, however who said it sounded like an allergic reaction and could be attributed to allergens she's not used to.

At the end of the week, she was saying it was occurring again. It wasn't until today when a nurse at one of the offices called me back and explained to me why no one was accepting the insurance: Medicaid is only applicable in the state giving the benefits unless its an emergency. She asked the doctor about it and he said the same ... could be allergies, just make sure she sees an opthalmologist before she goes back to school.

So that's where we are now, the earliest I can get an appointment is next Thursday (28th) and their mother is picking them up on the 14th of August. She can easily make an appointment for the 15th this early, so we're talking about a two week difference of three hundred plus dollars that neither of us can afford right now.

I've no sense of when it starts or how long it lasts because she never says anything until I ask, which I've done about twice a day and the answer always comes in the form of her pointing to one eye or the other "this one today". She doesn't squint, eyes don't water, she reads just as well as normal, no headaches and she never rubs her eyes.

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 07/19/11 05:08 PM
Five year old having some trouble with her eyes blurring (never both at the same time). Its not bad, she can still see well enough to read, watch TV, etc without squinting, doesn't run into things and she's not rubbing her eyes. I've spoken to two doctors and they say to get her an appointment with an opthalmologist before school starts. I can get an appointment next week.

Problem: The kids are on Ohio Medicaid, which is usless outside of Ohio except in cases of emergencies. I live in Tennessee. My ex demands I take her next week and spend three to four hundred dollars (she says she'll pay and while I know she will, I also know she can't afford it) instead of a twenty-five dollar co-pay in 3 weeks since she'll be picking them up and taking them back to Ohio then.

If this were a problem (or realized problem) when they first got here over a month ago, I wouldn't have thought twice and taken her anyway, but there's little sense in either of us spending/splitting/reimbursing three to four hundred dollars NEXT week rather than the co-pay in THREE weeks when they're back in the network area.

Opinions?

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 07/19/11 12:41 AM

According to Holy Scripture and Jesus himself there is only ONE God. And according to all logic if there were two gods, then one god would be a limit on the other. Neither could be infinite and neither would be the true God. The experience of Israel is clear on this point: “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord” (Deuteronomy 6:4)

Yes there is only one God, and it's because of that logically speaking the energy isn't gonna go to any other God, because there isn't any others for it to go to. So whether you pray to Buddha, Allah or hell even the sun, there's only one creator that that energy can go to if there's one God.

there s only one god,the LORD, that we can t see,he s not the sun nor soil, nor hell, all these r made by the LORD, disappear and reappear. one can do effect on the others, but LORD, nothing affect him ,no one can reach him, we only feel him and see him in his own creation.

Honestly, I find it really hard that so many can't grasp the idea that if there really was a God ... REALLY a God and S/He/It REALLY gave a damn about what happened to this handful of people in this little world of ours no more than a single atom on a speck of dust on the floor of a house (galaxy) amongst so many other billions of houses (galaxies) in the universe ... Wouldn't we know? I mean really KNOW?

There'd be no bickering about "what-ifs" and "who's-right" and what REALLY to expect ... there'd just be God and we would know. There would just be assurance and we would KNOW. There would just be ... well, probably lots of unnecessary wars between idiots to win favor ...

Nevermind. Carry on.

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 07/19/11 12:31 AM
Edited by donthatoneguy on Tue 07/19/11 12:32 AM

Speaking as an avid comic book/graphic-novel reader, I gotta say this flick was JUST OK.

There was so much potential for GREEN LANTERN to be Warner Bros.' next big franchise after POTTER & BATMAN. Sadly, this won't be it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a horrible film. It's way better than the crappier superhero films that have come out, i.e. DAREDEVIL, FANTASTIC 4, THE PUNISHER.

I even thought Ryan Reynolds wasn't the worst thing about this flick, which is saying a lot because I was on the fence when I heard he was cast as Hal Jordan/GL. But you can tell he's holding back from being his typical Ryan Reynolds character from WAITING...

Still, it won't rank up there with THE DARK KNIGHT, X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, IRON-MAN. But it's fun to watch, especially the scenes set in space.

RATING: 6.75/10

Are we talking Dolph Lundgren "The Punisher" or Thomas Jane "The Punisher" or Ray Stevenson "Punisher: War Zone"?

I'd agree with those sentiments on the Dolph Lundgren option, but I actually liked the Thomas Jane flick and War Zone was entertaining, at least.

Edit: This from a guy who never cared for the comics, so take that as you will. :smile:

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 07/19/11 12:27 AM
Still a bit anxious about the whole Bane thing. I withhold judgment.

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 15 16