Community > Posts By > donthatoneguy

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 07/19/11 12:14 AM
According to the Gospel of Judas, Christianity is a conspiracy. :smile:

donthatoneguy's photo
Tue 07/19/11 12:02 AM
Edited by donthatoneguy on Tue 07/19/11 12:03 AM
Agnostic Antitheist, here. Its really wacky, but pretty simple. I despise organized religion and think all of its a load of $#it meant to control people (antitheist) and has done far more harm than good throughout the millennia. I do admit, however, that I do not, cannot and probably will not know for a fact that a God(s) exist, even if one popped in front of me and slapped me in the face, saying "I'm here, now what?" (agnostic, obviously)

Yeah, I'd still be skeptical because, not only would I wonder if it was just some advanced technology in use, but I don't see a God(s) who created the entirety of the universe could really ever care enough to bother if 6 billion people on this remote planet on the spiral arm of this one little galaxy out of billions of galaxies knew S/He was there or not.

Edits: Typos! Weeeee, its late!

donthatoneguy's photo
Mon 07/18/11 11:37 PM
Fantasies are so fun, yes? It would be nice to have a balance. It would be nice to know that Justice is coming one day. One day all the $#it you've been through will pay off. It would be nice to be able to sit back and think "well, they'll get what's coming to them once they die ... oh, yes, they'll get it in the end."

And that's what keeps the masses passive ... no need to act against the world's injustices when your imaginary friend's gonna do it for you later. Just gotta sit back and wait ... patience is a virtue, after all ...

donthatoneguy's photo
Mon 07/18/11 11:24 PM

Mexico's Wal-Mart Takes A Hit For Paying Employees Using Gift-Cards
The program that was initially designed to help families in Mexico was not sued by a group advocating employee rights or a large number of employees protesting the program. The lawsuit stemmed from one employee, who no longer works for Wal-Mart according to the IHT report.

Supreme Court rules against Wal-Mart in exploitation case
“The objective of the company for this [program] has always been that it be on a voluntary basis, and as such, there have always been employees who opted out,” read a company statement released Monday.

Wal-Mart Loses Mexican Pay-Voucher Case
Wal-Mart de Mexico, also known as Walmex, gave store coupons as part of salaries. In a statement, the retailer said the program was voluntary, and "designed to help our employees acquire basic necessities." It went on to explain in the statement that under the program, Walmex would put store credit on electronic cards, and the employees could contribute a matching amount. The credit could then be used at Wal-Mart outlets throughout Mexico.

Okay, so three sources. One from Mexico and one from the UK. The program was voluntary, the Employee was basically doubling their money, because the company was adding store credit. There were employees who didn't choose to use the program. The lawsuit was filed by one former employee. I'm sure I'm not changing minds, so I'll make this my last statement on the subject.

I'm not a big fan of Wal-Mart, myself, mainly because of all the smaller (and often historically established) businesses that have been unseated in their wake ... and giant buildings that no other companies need or want left that are left behind when city limits' encroached too close so Wal-Mart relocated a couple miles further out, etc. It caused a bit of strife between the ex and I at times, but I guess it served me right that the only place to get anything conveniently within a forty mile radius of where I live is ... well, Wal-Mart. Blerg.

While I doubt the largest intention of the program was to help out the employees (it sounds to me like minimizing payouts by keeping that money circulating in Wal-Mart stores), it was still (and probably immensely) beneficial to the employees. Illegal is illegal, however. Wal-Mart loses a buck-eighty-eight. Case dismissed.

donthatoneguy's photo
Mon 07/18/11 10:23 AM

When i worked at Lane Bryant they forced me into opening a credit card in their company and i was only allowed to wear clothes from their store to work which had to be purchased only on their credit card. Or else I didnt get the job. I said, what if i dont want your credit card, they said then you dont get the job.

They told me that also.:wink: smokin

This actually isn't MUCH different from having to pay for a work uniform, they just let you choose your own from their distributors. However, requiring you to have their credit card sounds rather illegal. Credit is an option, not a requirement.

donthatoneguy's photo
Mon 07/18/11 09:53 AM
Where'd you get the first story you posted?

donthatoneguy's photo
Mon 07/18/11 09:43 AM
Hilarious!

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-King-James-Version/product-reviews/0529064634/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

donthatoneguy's photo
Mon 07/18/11 07:38 AM
Obviously someone complained ... and it may just be the way its set up initially. It may be voluntary, but what if its automatic until you realize what's going on when you get your first paycheck ... in the form of a gift card!

"Hey! I have a drug cartel to pay off so they don't wreck my home! Gimme my money!"

"Sorry, you 'agreed' to this compensation. Would you like to change it for your next paycheck?"

Heh ... but yeah, more information required.

donthatoneguy's photo
Mon 07/18/11 07:23 AM

Which gets to MsHarmonys comment. If there is only One God it is
logically the same God for everyone. But of course it makes no
difference what you call God - Jesus, Buddha, Allah, Yahweh or
Redd Foxx and it certainly makes no sense to attempt to describe
God in anthropomorphic terms. Although if you wish to picture him
as an Asian 3 month old girl then it is fine. And God doesn't care
whether you "believe" in One God or faeries either. God has made me
come to realize this all on my own - but I do not claim to be a
prophet.

laugh

drinker

"Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray my soul, Redd Foxx to keep ..." :laughing: drinker

donthatoneguy's photo
Mon 07/18/11 07:11 AM
I haven't read beyond book four yet, but it was a great series up to point. I never was the biggest fan of Kevin J. Anderson before reading this, so for me, it was a pleasant surprise.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sun 07/17/11 07:06 PM

Well there are others from the time period too...I just don't think
it is so cut and dried...

=-=-=-=-=-= from the reference I linked...

Josephus (A.D. 37 - c. A.D. 100)

Josephus' Antiquities (early 2nd century A.D.) refers to Jesus in two separate passages. The common translation of the first passage, Book 18, Ch. 3, part 3, is disputed and is most likely from an altered source. F. F. Bruce has provided a more likely translation:

Now there arose at this time a source of further trouble in one Jesus, a wise man who performed surprising works, a teacher of men who gladly welcome strange things. He led away many Jews, and also many of the Gentiles. He was the so-called Christ. When Pilate, acting on information supplied by the chief men around us, condemned him to the cross, those who had attached themselves to him at first did not cease to cause trouble, and the tribe of Christians, which has taken this name from him is not extinct even today.

The translations of this passage are discussed in Josephus: Testimonium Flavianum from Jesus.com.au.

The second passage is from Book 20, Ch. 9, part 1:

...so he assembled the sanhedrim of judges, and brought before them the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others, [or, some of his companions]; and when he had formed an accusation against them as breakers of the law, he delivered them to be stoned...

(Note: The Antiquities can be found at several different sites, including the Christian Classics Ethereal Library, Perseus Digital Library and Crosswalk.com)

Tacitus (c. A.D. 55 - c. A.D. 117)
Annals, book XV:

Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular.

Suetonius (c. A.D. 69 - c. A.D. 140)

Lives of the Caesars - Claudius, sec. 25:

He banished from Rome all the Jews, who were continually making disturbances at the instigation of one Chrestus.

Lives of the Caesars - Nero, sec. 16

Punishment was inflicted on the Christians, a class of men given to a new and mischievous superstition.

Julius Africanus (c. 160 - c. 240)

Chronography, XVIII refers to writings by Thallus and Phlegon concerning the darkness during the Crucifixion:

On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness; and the rocks were rent by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun...Phlegon records that, in the time of Tiberius Caesar, at full moon, there was a full eclipse of the sun from the sixth hour to the ninth - manifestly that one of which we speak.

Origen (c. 185 - c. 254)

In Against Celsus, Origen quotes Celsus, a second-century skeptic, on Jesus. Celsus' view of Christians and Christianity, an article from Bluffton College, contains relevant excerpts.

Pliny the Younger (c. 62 - c. 113)

Letters, 10.96-97 records Pliny's dealings with Christians

=-=-=-=-=

BTW, I just closed my Bible. Did the 10 Commandments cease to exist
yet? Or are they still there?!

laugh

We've been through this list before: http://mingle2.com/topic/show/305204?page=13

And except for the possibly doctored translation on that website, none mentioned Jesus by name and even the self-proclaimed "honorable" Tacitus named the Christians as terrorists and instigators of violence.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sun 07/17/11 06:49 PM

Well,,, It is true that there is ONLY ONE GOD and that is the FATHER of JESUS CHRIST the SON of GOD. No matter how many FALSE GOD we/you worship, generally we do only have ONE.. We just named it differently.

Capital letters don't somehow make your words more valid than anyone else's, nor does repeating the same sentiments every other Christian professed on page one. Are you contributing to the conversation or ignoring it completely? I see the latter.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sun 07/17/11 05:57 AM

Well there is always Josephus etc.

http://www.rationalchristianity.net/jesus_extrabib.html

Yes, I'm quoting wikipedia here, but only because it concurs with everything I've ever read about your proof there:

A third passage, the famous Testimonium Flavianum found in the Antiquities of the Jews 18.63-64, in its current form summarizes the ministry and death of Jesus; but the authenticity of this passage remains contested by many scholars, and has been the topic of ongoing debate since the 17th century. The most widely held current scholarly opinion is that the Testimonium Flavianum is partially authentic; but that those words and phrases that correspond with standard Christian formulae are additions from a Christian copyist.[3][4]

Point being, like the Bible, this document cannot pass any authenticity standards except on faith.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sun 07/17/11 05:37 AM
Just wait for it, man ... today's entertainment is geared toward trilogies. We'll get there, I'm sure!

donthatoneguy's photo
Sun 07/17/11 05:34 AM
Ha! Yeah, I heard about this. Its pretty awesome ... and funny to boot!

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/16/11 09:01 PM

Erm... Love Sculpture, ELP, but not ELO.

No Sky Rockets for you? happy Unfortunately, I can't help but get it stuck in my head from time to time. Hehehe.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/16/11 08:49 PM

In some industries, yes it does. In some industries, it doesn't. Honda, Toyota and Mercedes Benz all have factories in the USA. It's expensive to move cars across oceans, so it's cheaper to build them in the USA. You guys act like everyone in the USA is jobless, but take heart, Obama hasn't been allowed to finish his "change" yet.

Fair enough. I did know about the car manufacturers, but while that does supply a few thousand jobs, it doesn't compare to the millions of other jobs that have gone to (or will go to) India, Mexico, China and other countries that can supply far cheaper labor and far more lax health codes or building regulations and safety conditions.

Considering your arguments toward morality and fairness ... do you advocate sweatshops? Child labor? Forced labor just shy of slavery? Does it sit well with your moral compass that people work 16 hours a day for $.50 which really doesn't pay for them to eat healthily?

No, everyone in the USA is not jobless ... that doesn't mean another advocate of "trickle down economics" won't drive the unemployment rate up another five percent in 2013 because corporations take the money and open another factory in China. "Thanks, America ... and now, thank YOU China for the cheap labor so I can thank America AGAIN when the annual profit reports roll in. Yee haw!"

:thumbsup: slaphead

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/16/11 07:00 PM

We have the second highest corporate income tax rate in the industrialized world. If we dropped it, many of the the companies that have left would come back.

So you're saying that the far cheaper labor overseas as well plays absolutely no role whatsoever in corporate migration? Hmm.

And if you're somehow NOT saying that, then how do you solve the labor disparity? Suddenly drop the minimum wage back to .35 so that all BUT the top 1% is now in poverty?

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/16/11 03:50 PM
Haven't seen it yet and I'm very hesitant to waste money doing so. Too much hype and too much that I've seen in the trailers that either doesn't fit with Hal Jordan or is overdone (like the glow of the suits). It appears to me as nothing more than your average "summer blockbuster" that's just overbudgeted ads and rushed to screen script because comic movies are dollar signs right now.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/16/11 03:43 PM

Hell, they turned Angel into a latina with fairy wings.

Actually, there's a newer character in the comics named "Pixie" (though I think she might've died ... not sure) whose real name is Angel Salvadore. So its merely another displaced character. I agree. I tire of the rewrites. There's decades of good stories in comics that they can choose from, but they always amalgamate because of popular characters of the moment. Its ridiculous.

1 2 4 6 7 8 9 15 16