Community > Posts By > donthatoneguy

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/16/11 01:16 PM
Hear, hear.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/16/11 11:02 AM
Edited by donthatoneguy on Sat 07/16/11 11:03 AM

Exactly. He took forever with it, then rushed out the last few and it kind of killed it. I didn't like Wizard and Glass, Wolves, or Song. But he put out gobs of others instead of focusing and finishing it to begin with.

Really? I loved Wizard and Glass. I was a LITTLE put off by the whole Wizard of Oz thing, but the back story about Susan, Jonas and Rhea of the Coos was pretty awesome. It fell apart for me with Wolves of the Calla ... that's where the endless journey suddenly becomes a rush to the finish line. I found the end of the series immensely intriguing, but I expected MUCH MUCH more from the Crimson King ... and according to Insomnia, there were supposed to be TWO travellers that reached the tower ... not just Roland.

What the hell is it with the number 7 anyway? Dark Tower, 7 books. A Song of Ice and Fire, 7 books. Saga of the Seven Suns, 7 books ... Just write til the stories are done, stop deciding the number of books before you even begin writing so things don't get rushed when you find yourself at the end of book five with just 2,000 allotted pages to go. Blerg!

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/16/11 10:50 AM

Two seperate beings?....aren't there supposed to be three of them ...SpiderCmb .....you are jumping back and forth.....where is there any evidence of the Trinity or three Godheads in the passages that were presented so far

The trinity is three parts, The Father, The Son and they share Holy Spirit. Each of us has our own spirit, but God and Jesus are perfect in that they share the same spirit. Their Spirit is itself it's own person. Marriage itself is a reflection of the trinity. You have the husband and the wife and the bible encourages them to be joined in the same spirit.

Spidercmb...what you are saying is simply not in Genesis ...so far I have present 13 passages from Genesis which constitute 2 days of Creation ....where in those passages and two days of Creation does it states anything about a Trinity or three God heads or Jesus

yawn

This is boring. You think you are being clever, but you are simply boring the hell out of me.
what you couldn't find it in wiki or google?laugh drinker

Apparently. When Spider can't answer a question, he "gets bored" or starts arguing semantics because wiki doesn't go in-depth.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/16/11 10:46 AM

actually eric clapton is god.....
is that in genesis

No but Phil Collins was! \m/ hehehehe

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/16/11 10:41 AM
Progressive anything. I like elements of classical music in my rock. Thrice, Tool, Opeth, etc.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/16/11 10:34 AM
Yeah, I read the first ten or so books of Pern and really enjoyed them before I started losing interest. The same happened with the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. I got to Golem in the Gears and lost interest the first time, then restarted years later and made it to Isle of View before stopping again.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/16/11 10:25 AM
Still, I'd rather see the work from when he's focused on it than rushing it to press. I had several problems with the last three books of the Dark Tower by Stephen King for that very reason.

I've yet to see how a Dance With Dragons pans out. Plan on grabbing that this weekend.

donthatoneguy's photo
Sat 07/16/11 09:17 AM

Actually, I haven't. I was going to get into the book a couple of years ago, but once I realized he hadn't finished the series, or was ever close to the end of it, I decided to hold off. I've gotten irked over the horrendously long series that takes authors years and years to get through.

It's also on cable, which I don't have, and am not about to pay for. But the main thing is that he's dinked around with getting the series done.

I rather like long series. There's much more that can be accomplished and lacking the luxury (or misfortune?) of stumbling upon the series after its already completed, I'm willing to wait. Dinked around, huh? Like any job, would you rather it be done quick and sloppy? Or would you rather have quality at the expense of time? Especially since, when all is said and done, you're not out any more money than you would have spent anyway ... and better spent now. So far, the books have been quality ... I refer to the series as my favorite fantasy series of all time thus far. So I'd rather wait six years to see it done right than to see him pump out the last two books with obvious and predictable results and endings.

As for cable, yeah I don't know what to tell you. If it weren't for my parents' having it, I probably wouldn't have caught the series myself. Hrm. Buy the DVDs or Blu-Rays! That should help the show's standing. :)

I read the first book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I fell in love with many of the characters, got really angry at a certain few. Now I'm in the middle of Clash of Kings, and it's really interesting and keeps me interested, though I don't care reading about few of the characters, but I trudge keep reading, curious to see what happens.

I was able to watch the first season of the show via On Demand after I finished A Game of Thrones, and I enjoyed it. Though a few bits and pieces I didn't care for, but for the most part I loved it. Still some parts of the show I was hoping for a different outcome but then that would go way off course from the book. What can I say? I grow too attached to some characters...

Its pretty interesting how he does that. Most of the characters I as well "trudged through" in the second book became characters I was anticipating in the third and fourth books. Hehehe. He does well with making you love or hate characters, but you can always love them all as solid characters and can see their motivations and agree with why they act the ways they do.

Too attached, hehehe. Yeah, Sean Bean ... every role ... :laughing: But you also do that a lot with the books. Can't tell you how many times I wanted Eddard to step out of character and lay down the smack. lol

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/15/11 09:07 PM
Other kids. Example, my daughter told me this evening "Daddy, angels watch over me." I replied, "no they don't, who told you that?" Her cousin mentioned it the night before during a sleepover slaphead (my sister is fairly religious, not a fundamentalist like my aunt, luckily).

With no desire to tell her that her little cousin and my sister were crazy (I actually get along well with my sister, since she's not one to preach) and I hesitated ... I ended up just saying that sometimes people believe in silly things because they don't know how things really work.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/15/11 08:43 PM

From your own source (Wikipedia): An explosion is a rapid increase in volume and release of energy in an extreme manner, usually with the generation of high temperatures and the release of gases.

We don't know what, exactly, happened in the earliest times, but it was not an explosion in the usual way that people picture explosions.

Notice from your own quote "in the usual way that people picture explosions" as well as the operative word "usually" from the definition I supplied. So as usual, you're arguing semantics instead of facts. I guess that's what will always occur when trying to inform you religions on anything outside "The Good Book". Oh well.

I noticed that and I thought it was very sloppy to mix in quotes from multiple people. So I went ahead and responded to every stupid thing you said, because I wanted to.

As a general practice due to personal preference, I don't spam responses. I put everything I want to say in a single response, if possible. I don't expect others to do it, just the way I do things. Its not sloppy ... I think people should be able recognize their own words. Apparently, I was wrong.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/15/11 07:46 PM

"About 15 billion years ago a tremendous explosion started the

Your source sucks, there wasn't an explosion. "Big Bang" is a misnomer.

From your own source (Wikipedia): An explosion is a rapid increase in volume and release of energy in an extreme manner, usually with the generation of high temperatures and the release of gases.

So, actual scientists at the University of Michigan, as a source, suck on matters of science? Well played. whoa slaphead

Notice that I replied to your post within 2 minutes. And that was while alternately watching an interview on YouTube and eating a fudgesicle, so I was typing one handed. I didn't have time or need to google the answer.

Didn't notice, don't care. You still had plenty of time to glance for "five seconds". I have no evidence whatsoever of your youTube experience nor your fudgesicle, just as you have no evidence of the state of the universe before the big bang as you've claimed. Nor do I make a habit of checking timestamps. Nor do I sit on this forum all day. Sorry.

BTW, the second half of my post was addressed to Peter, not you. If you would take the time to notice, it was HIS material I quoted. Now who's the moron? whoa

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/15/11 07:32 PM

Did you read the whole thread? I have back myself up on here already. And I am fully capable of backing it all up but why should I have to everyone else's homework all the time?

Obviously, you bring up points and then reference your sources. That's how this works, otherwise you're just throwing insults. We can't very well just blindly agree he's loony without understanding why YOU think he's loony.

How about his cutting education funding to zero?
How about his following of the John Birch Society?
How about withdrawal from the United Nations?
How about abolishing the individual income tax and elimination of the Federal Reserve?
He doesn't support environmental control to make the world a cleaner place.
He doesn't support the Civil Right Act of 1964???
He doesn't support government regulation of health providers.

Where did you get this information?

1) Cut out the federal Department of Education and give the money directly to the states, cities and counties to use ... hmm.

2) Admittedly don't know much about the JBS.

3) I've seen nothing about withdrawal, but refusing to allow the UN to designate US troop deployment isn't a bad thing.

4) Elimination of income tax and the IRS, you mean? Replacing it with a flat sales tax added to already existent state sales taxes and advance refunds for purchases on basic necessities and for those on the poverty level? Sounds good to me.

5 - 7) Where'd you get your information? I'd like to see it.

But I shouldn't have to list all this because when I state that he is a lunatic and racist, I don't have a reason to lie, I am not invested in this man one way or the other.noway

So you say, and so does everyone else. But NO ONE has a reason to lie, right? Everyone's telling the truth, so we should just take everyone's word for fact, right? Isn't that always what you're speaking against?

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/15/11 07:04 PM

My actual objection is dogmatic atheism. So many atheist claim to have read the Bible, some more than once. They also claim to have a firm belief in the power of science. Then they show absolutely no grasp of either the Bible or science.

I'll skip that part since it doesn't apply to me.

The Big Bang theory is that a singularity that was infinitely hot and infinitely dense began to expand. As the expansion occurred, it cooled to the point that elements started to form, before that moment, there was only energy. There! Now an uneducated, misogynistic, racist, homophobic, sister lovin' backwoods Christian who has never seen any book but the Bible has school all of you atheists on what you believe. You should be ashamed of yourself. (anyone who already knew that is exempt from this statement)

Schooled? No, sorry. You can't just pop on Wikipedia for five seconds and claim to know better than anyone else. From the University of Michigan:

"About 15 billion years ago a tremendous explosion started the expansion of the universe. This explosion is known as the Big Bang. At the point of this event all of the matter and energy of space was contained at one point. What exisisted prior to this event is completely unknown and is a matter of pure speculation. This occurance was not a conventional explosion but rather an event filling all of space with all of the particles of the embryonic universe rushing away from each other."

Hmm, no matter the argument ... a) if matter formed from the energy contained within the singularity, then b) the singularity contained all matter. More importantly, all matter, condensed within any such tiny space would be superheated, yes, and just like with a black hole, the gravity involved would be massive.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/15/11 05:58 PM
Edited by donthatoneguy on Fri 07/15/11 06:01 PM
Sorry, double post due to internet problems ... see previous page.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/15/11 05:57 PM
Edited by donthatoneguy on Fri 07/15/11 05:58 PM

That's not to say that since science will never have an answer, we shouldn't just say "God did it"

But that's exactly what you're saying and I ...

Keep in mind that if the universe isn't eternal and there is no eternal creator, then it can't exist.

Peter claimed the same:

Science says the universe is NOT eternal...

Who said anything about the universe not being eternal? Just because it may continue to expand and the galaxies and solar systems all go dim and die cold deaths doesn't mean the intermediary space (and therefore the universe as a whole) ceases to exist. Eternity in darkness is still eternity.

Reason and logic and science are all of this universe and pre-big bang is definitely not of this universe.

How do you know? Are you this eternal imaginary friend you keep talking about? You sit here and tell us that we can't know what caused the big bang and you're claiming to know the conditions prior to it. That's a bit sanctimonious, don't you think?

I refuse to believe in the big bang without any proof of it's intial cause.

The expansion of the universe (observed) is proof enough of the big bang whether or not we know its cause.

The best we have now is Hawkings saying that all that would be needed is gravity and the big bang would be possible.

He's a smart guy, you should listen to him. Since all matter displays gravity (however minute and difficult to detect for objects without a great amount of mass) and all matter was contained within the singularity that gave birth to the universe by means of the big bang, then gravity was plentiful and therefore the big bang was possible.

So, with no matter present, I refuse to believe in an imaginary gravity field which science says can't exist without matter.

All matter was present in the singularity. It would have had the strongest gravity field ever since it contained all the matter in the universe.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/15/11 05:24 PM

Poly want a cracker?

You want to support your assertions? You cant can you?

Do you want the war on drugs to continue?
Do you want us to continue to spend trillions to bribe, maim and kill other people across the world pretending this brings up security?

I think you just want a nice cozy lie to wrap yourself in till we all end up as puppets of the nanny state.

I can say the same of you.

I do know that Paul is not the answer to this countries problems, he would actually take us back to worse times of more racial bias and even more uncontrollable corporate problems. Along with class/economic status warfare.

As to stopping the wars, he wouldn't succeed any better then Obama did with an uncooperative congress.

He's right, you know. I have actually respected what you have to say in some of threads because you often actually back it up with sound reasoning ... I may not always agree, but I respect. However, here, you sound like my grandmother's bird. "Ron Paul is bad. Squawk! Ron Paul is bad." "Why?" "Squawk! Ron Paul is bad."

Saying "if you just read what he says, its obvious" is the exact same as the religions saying the same about the Bible. Back up your opinion, or be no better than they are.

donthatoneguy's photo
Fri 07/15/11 10:17 AM
Edited by donthatoneguy on Fri 07/15/11 10:20 AM

not so. occam's razor compares two competing hypotheses. god is a postulate at best but even if genesis, for example, were accepted as an hypothesis the big bang, for instance would trump genesis as it has advanced to the higher level of a theory which can be tested to produce predictable and repeatable results. occam's razor does not apply when a hypothesis is in opposition to a theory. occam's razor does not apply to creation.

No. Science can't explain WHAT caused the Big Bang. The Big Bang actually defies reason, because of causality. I'm proposing that God caused the Big Bang, you have NO EXPLANATION for the cause of the Big Bang. So you are rejecting a possible hypothesis in favor of nothing. Atheists pretend that saying "The most likely scenario is that God caused the big bang" would bring science to a screeching halt. Nothing could be further from the truth. God isn't "magic", we can learn HOW God did something! So we would continue to study and if we found another theory that better explained the Big Bang, then it would replace the God did it hypothesis. There is no reason why God cannot be hypothesized at be the creator, other than unreasoning bigotry. The idea that religion doesn't have a place in science is purely an atheist knee jerk reaction.

It doesn't defy reason if the scientific community holds the Big Bang Theory as the most plausible cause for the creation of the universe. The idea that religion has no place in science is purely scientific, not atheistic. You cannot assume some great fictional creator did everything first because at that point you're not looking for "what happened here", you're looking at "how did this fictional creator do this" ... its not scientific and it doesn't get unbiased or repetitive results.

Throughout history, Christian scientists have started with the idea that "God did this, let me figure out HOW he did it" and science progressed just fine. Galileo was a Christian his whole life, so was Issac Newton, so was Leibnitz, etc. Even Einstein believed in a god of some kind and believed it would be possible to find out how that god has created the universe. "How did God do this" DROVE science for over a thousand years, but since it became unfashionable for scientists to believe in God, all that has changed is that science has lost it's "holy mission" to explore the universe that God created for us. Progress didn't stop, slow down or speed up, but now sometimes the most obvious conclusion is ignored. It took hundreds of years for scientists to accept that the Universe had a beginning, not because evidence didn't exist to support that hypothesis, but because they felt it would mean that GOD existed.

From what I remember, Isaac Newton was only "religious" because of his association with the Masons. Einstein was an atheist, though he did use the word God to describe the mystery, beauty and vastness of the universe ... he, himself, explained this when asked and also stated that he did not believe in any kind of sentient creator.

"How did God do this" may have driven science for over a thousand years, but where was it driven? Most of the time scientists were being paid to drive science in specific directions and results to appease the church (who was paying them) to continually prove God's existence. This is not science. If you don't believe scientific progress has greatly accelerated over the past hundred years or so after religion was mostly dropped from the equation, you need to open up a science book or two.

donthatoneguy's photo
Thu 07/14/11 06:04 PM

Will wait for the books to come out, read them, and then catch upon the shows.

That's a horrible way to go about it and here's why ...

The more people that watch a show when it airs, the higher the probability that it WON'T GET CANCELLED.

You've already read the first book at least (I'm assuming here), so why WOULDN'T you watch the series? Granted, you're not dealing with Fox here, so I'm sure we won't have another Firefly situation, but if the number of people who are unfamiliar with the book series begin to wane, then those who ARE familiar or the random people they picked up this season who maintain interest (its hard to run a serial series ... attention spans are just too short, that's why sitcoms are so popular) are the only patronage they have to go on. Therefore, if you're a fan of the books, WATCH THE SERIES. If you don't like how its done, fine, do something else, but if you want it to continue, you HAVE to watch when it airs.

If you haven't read A Clash of Kings, you have 9 months to get through it before Season 2 begins. Read! Watch! Weeeeeeeee!

Hehehe.

donthatoneguy's photo
Thu 07/14/11 05:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, I agree that its still racism to vote for color, whether for or against ... and I knew several people who voted against for that reason.

What I'm saying is that many people vote based on any number of superficial reasons rather than real issues in every election. How is voting race much different than on the basis of sex (Hilary Clinton, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann)? What about faithfully voting Republican or Democrat even if you agree with the message from the other side (how many times I heard 'I like John Kerry, but I have to vote Republican' back in 2004 ...)?

And now you ... stating that Ron Paul is "looney" without highlighting any reason why you think so leaves me to guess you don't like him because the rest of the GOP tells you you shouldn't ... making that just as superficial a reason as any.

So, hopefully this brings us back to the topic YOU STARTED and you can tell us exactly why you think Ron Paul is loony ... or was that just your way of attempting to discredit a valid candidate so you can advocate Michelle Bachmann? winking :laughing:

donthatoneguy's photo
Thu 07/14/11 05:17 PM
I knew a guy who voted for Bush over Kerry because his dad was paying him $100 to do so. I also knew a girl three years ago who was voting for McCain because her dad was a Republican and told her in every election who she should vote for. It happens everywhere and for every candidate, not just Obama.

1 2 3 5 7 8 9 15 16