Community > Posts By > AllenAqua

AllenAqua's photo
Sat 02/05/11 10:00 AM
Edited by AllenAqua on Sat 02/05/11 10:11 AM

When we do good, nobody remembers. When we do bad, no one forgets".

Im sure criminals feel the same way. There are actions and consequences and Im not sure I can understand the emotional justification for kicking someone that is handcuffed and lying on the ground....obviously the threat(if there was any) is over

I agree that its a shame people are stigmatized their whole life over a bad choice and I too hope these cops go on to be productive citizens and are permitted to try to do so.

I guess it's just easier for me to put myself in the shoes of a cop who just needlessly (had the alleged suspect surrendered) put himself at potential great risk for the public good, than it is for me to put myself in the shoes of a criminal who put all concerned at risk for his own selfish motivations.

Please don't get me wrong. I certainly agree that police brutality is horrendous and they deserve to be prosecuted. Restraint on their part is to be expected and I'm not condoning their actions. It's just that I better understand the mindset of being angry at someone for overtly disobeying a lawful order, thus putting them at great risk, than I do the mindset of someone intent on getting away with a crime and putting others at risk in the process...

AllenAqua's photo
Sat 02/05/11 09:35 AM

I am here somewhat, but not necessarily, to find a female friend with the possibility of one-on-one companionship. Physical intimacy would be the gravy. At the very least, to simply expand my circle of friends. My theory is that if I can just get myself out there in front of enough people, some of this might come true.

I wish I was that optimistic. It's the proximity factor that keeps my hopes in check.ohwell

AllenAqua's photo
Sat 02/05/11 09:33 AM

I'm here to share thoughts and ideas in a relaxed, casual and friendly manner. Sometimes I stray from that desire insomuch as I respond to negativity or something I disagree with in not so friendly ways, but I usually regret it to some degree because to me, conflict isn't all that fun.

How about you ?

To flirt? To debate? Just plain bored? For attention? To stir up trouble? To make friends?

All or none of the above?

Spill it!

ALL of the ABOVE............I have met some GREAT people on here (BOTH) MEN & WOMEN!!!

So what's your favorite kind of trouble to stir up? hmmmm?

AllenAqua's photo
Sat 02/05/11 09:31 AM

I joined this site to find the love of my life...I stay because of the many friends that I have made on this site and still have the hope of finding "HIM" someday. At one time, I was getting very frustrated in a few of the forums because of rude and unruly people and have often used the opportunity to speak my mind. I closed my access to certain forums and this way, I don't have the opportunity to respond to them which saves a lot of headache for me and I have less chance of saying something that will get me into trouble. On the flip side of that...I will (and have)....stand up for anyone that is being spoken to in a rude or abusive manner in the forums that I have access to.
So...all in all...still looking, still having fun....and still have the backs of anyone hereflowerforyou

same same for me, except for the still looking part.:smile:

AllenAqua's photo
Sat 02/05/11 09:27 AM

I signed up here a little over 4 years ago because I had just had a very bad experience meeting somebody from another site, and was looking for a new place to try to find someone.

And, once I started posting in the forums, I was surprised to find that there were actually a lot of great people here. And as time went on, more and more of them showed up.

So, for me, Mingle2 has become my social outlet, so to speak. I have no one in real life, so the people I deal with are all on line. And that's OK; I think it works better that way.

So, while I've given up on the idea of meeting anyone on line, I stick around for the friendships I've developed here, for the humor, for the support and encouragement.

Good answer and I'd expect no less from someone so thoughtful and and well versed as yourself, not to mention obviously quite popular overall.

Maybe "giving up on the idea of meeting anyone on line" is the way to go. It seems certain to take the pressure off and allow one to just be themselves, which is the only way to be earnest really imo.

drinker

AllenAqua's photo
Sat 02/05/11 09:19 AM

I was married for nineteen years. If I was still married, I'd maybe be worthy of giving advice. It was blissful and wonderful at its best, but mind bending and gut wrenching at its worst.

If I ever decided to commit to it again, I'd avoid (like the plague) codependency, resentment, and complacency. I'd always and in all ways keep in mind and heart that compassionate communication is the key to empathy.

To me, marriage isn't a piece paper. It's a declaration to the world that we stand together against all comers.

Then again, what do I know eh...

certainly you know plenty after 19 years. Lest we forget, nothing can last that long wihtout some good having come from it, and the stuff that wasn't so good is a pretty good lesson learned too.

We learn, I think, to appreciate things that hadn't occurred to us before

We also learn a lot about what we need

" Experience is the harshest teacher because you have to take the test, before you get the lesson"

I've heard people say something similar about parenting. laugh

Did you not have any good experiences? Experience is an excellent teacher, yes, some lessons a bit harsh, most not. But I would hope Ima bit smarter for it allslaphead

Yes, plenty of great experiences. No one to reminisce about them with but yes...

I feel smarter too. It would have been nice had we both had good role models for parents. We were both from broken homes.

I feel plenty more informed on the matter. Maybe that education will pay off some sunny day. Maybe not... Time will only tell.

I sort of think it's too bad that it's not part of a public school curriculum. "Relationship success 101". It seems so important to a happy and healthy adulthood for some of us.

Last I heard there's a 50% divorce rate. Good for lawyers I guess... I'm not sure who else though.

well I am impressed by your earnestness and honesty. I'm sure your parents did the best they could, but I wonder, did you not also - being that you had a 24 (or was it 19? well...) year marriage. that's a good, long run. I hope for you to find another chance & good luck next time - just warn the ladies that it will be at least 25 yrs to top ur old reord:wink: :wink:

Thanks for the good words.flowerforyou

I'm not about giving warnings. I am about heeding my own intuition though... I hope to not compare (too much) any future relationships to past ones.

On the positive sentiment. Same to you with cherries on top. :wink:

AllenAqua's photo
Sat 02/05/11 09:11 AM
I'm here to share thoughts and ideas in a relaxed, casual and friendly manner. Sometimes I stray from that desire insomuch as I respond to negativity or something I disagree with in not so friendly ways, but I usually regret it to some degree because to me, conflict isn't all that fun.

How about you ?

To flirt? To debate? Just plain bored? For attention? To stir up trouble? To make friends?

All or none of the above?

Spill it!

AllenAqua's photo
Fri 02/04/11 08:01 PM
There's a damn good reason they (the police in the field) are called "The thin blue line".

My opinion is that since they take on the responsibility of enforcing the law, then yes, it goes without saying that they, themselves, should be above reproach in that regard.

That being said, I also feel that the full gravity of their responsibilities and duties should be taken into full account when judging their behavior in the course of their duties.

We in America are supposedly guaranteed through the constitution a "jury of our peers". I'm not sure that every tom, dick, and harry, alice, brenda and mary who's quite adept at internet surfing and televion viewing but has never put not only their life, but also the future welfare of their families on the line for "civic" duty is qualified to judge them.

At least I don't feel that I'm qualified to do such... When I'm at work, I don't risk being in pursuit of someone or multiple someones who could do anything to get away and only God knows what, should they accomplish that get away. If you're a cop in pursuit, you don't know WHO you're chasing. For all you'd know, it could be a serial killer or even Osama Bin Laudin (sic?).

They'll probably stay fired and be ostracized for what they've done. Shame really... Not for what they did wrong, but for all the times before then when they may have contributed in very positive ways.

"When we do good, nobody remembers. When we do bad, no one forgets".

Although he'll likely be traumatized, I hope the young man (victim) in question recovers and goes on to lead a productive life, but I wish he'd decided to follow police orders to surrender that day.

AllenAqua's photo
Fri 02/04/11 07:14 PM
#1 Finally get to the point that my business is self administering.

#2 Tour all the best pubs in Ireland.

#3 Teach my (at this time) 19 mo. old grandson the correct chords and fills for Stairway to heaven on guitar.

#4 See Paris in the springtime with a new love.

#5 Finally have my thesis on " Why we'll lose the drug war and the resulting effects in modern society" published.

#6 Dive the Andrea Doria. (scuba)

#7 Participate in the Pamplona encierro in Spain. (running with the bulls)

#8 Make the final mortgage payment on property bordering the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. (long ways to go on that one)

#9 Become adept at whittling.

#10 Develop rock hard abs at least once before I die.

#11 Die like I was born, ie toothless, bald headed, naked, and in the bed with a strange lady.

bigsmile

AllenAqua's photo
Fri 02/04/11 06:19 PM

Not trying to converse here intellectually, let me say I do agree with many statements you made..
and also with many that krupa made...
and as for type-o's..
and in illustrating one's attentions to them, as a fact of reference here, I find it amusing to read yours above.
In the word because,,,as your 'becasue' typed above...

That's not her typo. She was quoting someone.

Thank you for pointing that out before I saw the accusation!

I use Firefox and it has a built-in spell-check; if I have a typo, it would not be for a word such as "because," but a homophone or a legitimate word that spell-check would not catch, i.e. typing "it" instead of "is."

Anyone can make typos, but a post that is filled with them rather than having one or two indicates poor editing skills--especially for "because."

But more to the point is words used out of context or which are obviously misspelled because the writer did not realize that they were misspelled: these items are usually very easy to spot.

And even more to the point, words used out of context.

Some people have learning handicaps that affect their writing skills: dyslexia is one. However, people can use available tools to help lessen the problem: spell-check is one. I used to date a man who is dyslexic; he would type everything to be posted online in Word first, edit with spell and grammar-check, and then post.

Lazy people don't bother.

Well, since you insist on pointing out the writing errors of others, I might point of that your own writing skills are lacking in perfection. You frequently end your sentences with prepositions. You use semi colons where a simple period would be proper. You often don't capitalize the first word of a sentence and you use split infinitives.
This is all off topic but since you seem to feel that proving a point is more crucial than displaying common courtesy, I agree with you on the "mea culpa" sentiment.

AllenAqua's photo
Fri 02/04/11 04:18 PM

...the way i see it they are clearly in violation of the "use of force"..smokin jmo

Yes, clearly... Two wrongs don't make a right. The suspect stole and ran. The police caught him and beat him. The suspect's alleged motivation was to steal and get away with it. The cop's motivation was to catch an unknown perpetrator and in the heat of their pumped-up-adrenalin-filled state of mind, punish him for putting them them at risk.

Both parties were wrong, but I have sympathy for the cops because they don't set out to do wrong, it's a crime of passion. I'd bet that had they even had two minutes to cool down, it wouldn't have happened.
True that they are held to a higher standard, and professionalism dictates that they push their own emotions aside, yet I don't know anyone who doesn't get angry at being made to feel fear.

Cops are human too, is all I'm saying.

AllenAqua's photo
Fri 02/04/11 02:11 PM
I'm not saying their reaction is justified, but to be realistic and fair, cops are only human. When you take your chances and flee from them, it's a natural tendency for them to enter into a state of high stress and anxiety.
After all, they're charged with potentially entering into harm's way by chasing and apprehending suspects who they don't know from Adam. They don't know that the subject isn't going to turn and fire on them, take hostages, commit a desperate car jacking or what...
During and after a chase, their adrenalin levels go off the charts and I'd dare anyone to always maintain their composure in a life threatening situation like that...
It's easy to judge them as criminal by witnessing the end result of the chase, but I doubt that many who would dismiss their behavior so assuredly actually put themselves in the cop's shoes while the chase and all of its potential for disaster are occurring.

Again, I'm not saying it's right, but anyone who's ever been in a combat type situation understands the tunnel vision you experience while coping with a deadly serious threat, and a chase IS a threat. It's a threat to potentially any innocent bystander, as well as the officers involved in the chase.

jmo

AllenAqua's photo
Fri 02/04/11 01:36 PM

Wouldn't it be great if...

Music would play automatically for everyday life scenarios.

Roses lasted forever.

We never had to hide behind walls (not literally, because then that would be uhh odd sick )

Actually, on the automatic music part (as in a musical ?), that would be unnerving as hell. scared laugh

AllenAqua's photo
Fri 02/04/11 01:27 PM

On top of that I resent being called a know it all becasue I clearly don't know everything. But the one thing I do know is I know enough to get by.

With all due respect, if you are called a "know-it-all," it isn't because of what you say, but how you say it.

Delivery is everything.

Having said that, I know how I often "come across" in these forums, but that is my choice to deliver "my" information in the manner than I choose.

I find it interesting that I am rarely attacked or harshly refuted by women on any forum, but certain men often take great offense at what and how I write. Believe it or not, I have been called a know-it-all in these very forums! I suppose I should not have an opinion or use my expertise to prove my points.

Whoops! There I go again, being a know-it-all by even suggesting that I am an expert in any area.

Mea Culpa.

By the way, most people know enough to "get by"--it is why so many humans are alive on the face of the earth.

Not trying to converse here intellectually, let me say I do agree with many statements you made..
and also with many that krupa made...
and as for type-o's..
and in illustrating one's attentions to them, as a fact of reference here, I find it amusing to read yours above.
In the word because,,,as your 'becasue' typed above...

That's not her typo. She was quoting someone.

AllenAqua's photo
Fri 02/04/11 11:44 AM

On top of that I resent being called a know it all becasue I clearly don't know everything. But the one thing I do know is I know enough to get by.

With all due respect, if you are called a "know-it-all," it isn't because of what you say, but how you say it.

Delivery is everything.

Having said that, I know how I often "come across" in these forums, but that is my choice to deliver "my" information in the manner than I choose.

I find it interesting that I am rarely attacked or harshly refuted by women on any forum, but certain men often take great offense at what and how I write. Believe it or not, I have been called a know-it-all in these very forums! I suppose I should not have an opinion or use my expertise to prove my points.

Whoops! There I go again, being a know-it-all by even suggesting that I am an expert in any area.

Mea Culpa.

By the way, most people know enough to "get by"--it is why so many humans are alive on the face of the earth.

Not that I have a dog in this hunt, but you do seem a little condescending in quite a few of your postings. It leads one to suspect that you aren't out to make friends in the forums.
A little courtesy would go a long way, should you wish your responses to appear otherwise.
Not to state the obvious, but this IS a social networking site. If proving your point is more important than making friends, I suppose you'll accomplish that goal, for what it's worth...

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 02/03/11 06:33 PM

I was married for nineteen years. If I was still married, I'd maybe be worthy of giving advice. It was blissful and wonderful at its best, but mind bending and gut wrenching at its worst.

If I ever decided to commit to it again, I'd avoid (like the plague) codependency, resentment, and complacency. I'd always and in all ways keep in mind and heart that compassionate communication is the key to empathy.

To me, marriage isn't a piece paper. It's a declaration to the world that we stand together against all comers.

certainly you know plenty after 19 years. Lest we forget, nothing can last that long wihtout some good having come from it, and the stuff that wasn't so good is a pretty good lesson learned too.

" Experience is the harshest teacher because you have to take the test, before you get the lesson"

I've heard people say something similar about parenting. laugh

Did you not have any good experiences? Experience is an excellent teacher, yes, some lessons a bit harsh, most not. But I would hope Ima bit smarter for it allslaphead

Yes, plenty of great experiences. No one to reminisce about them with but yes...

I feel smarter too. It would have been nice had we both had good role models for parents. We were both from broken homes.

I feel plenty more informed on the matter. Maybe that education will pay off some sunny day. Maybe not... Time will only tell.

I sort of think it's too bad that it's not part of a public school curriculum. "Relationship success 101". It seems so important to a happy and healthy adulthood for some of us.

Last I heard there's a 50% divorce rate. Good for lawyers I guess... I'm not sure who else though.

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 02/03/11 06:10 PM
Edited by AllenAqua on Thu 02/03/11 06:20 PM

" Experience is the harshest teacher because you have to fail the test, before you get the lesson"

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 02/03/11 06:05 PM
You're smokin smokin

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 02/03/11 05:52 PM

Among other things it is in a big way "a declaration to the world that we stand together against all comers"

I hate it when I hear one partner making jokes at the others expense, it is not guy talk or girl talk to make belittling comments about your partner. It is derisive. I am not talking a little healthy venting to a trusted friend I am taking crude or nasty or negitive, useless comments. I have heard this done in supposed fun so often and I always want to ask is that really how you feel? If not why say it? Always treat your partner with the respect love deserves, whether they are there to hear it or not.

Yeah... I guess I know at least a few couples who don't think twice before making disparaging remarks about each other. I can't help thinking to myself that their future together is less than hopeful.
As an outsider it's so apparent sometimes. It seems a shame...

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 02/03/11 05:00 PM

2 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25