Community > Posts By > AllenAqua

AllenAqua's photo
Sat 12/04/10 05:30 AM

I've had this idea clanking around in my head for awhile now. It's to use colored glass, mp3 technology, and woodwork to create artsy type furniture such as coffee & end tables or the like.

The notion is to build in accent lighting and a docking/amplification/speaker system. The art glass would be inlaid and backlit and maybe even use some gold and silver leafing... Use some semi exotic wood grains maybe...

I've done a few polished & stained concrete countertops with some back/under lighting built in to create accent points and they've been pretty well received.

I'm gathering up materials and components now...

I figure I'll use a weekend after the holidays are over to see what I can come up with...

Would love to see photos when you have completed the project ((((Allen))))!

Thanks (((Cindy))) for the interest and yes, I'll do that :)

I hope all is well for you & yours and that your holidays are wonderful.flowerforyou

AllenAqua's photo
Sat 12/04/10 05:21 AM
I personally feel that both religion and politics are impolite topics of conversation and though I'm sometimes drawn into to them, I always regret it afterward and rarely feel anything positive was accomplished.

I don't learn much from people who feel different from me, as I'm sure it's practically useless to attempt converting them to my way of thinking.

If others feel compelled to speak out against my beliefs, I'm mature enough to ignore them. All of my answers to life's important questions are answered from within and I don't need a billboard or an internet board to confirm or deny my beliefs.

As long as they aren't plotting or in the process of actual physical threats against me, mine, or other innocents, let them rant all they like is my feeling.

It shows them to be crass, rude and low class but there's no law against that...

AllenAqua's photo
Fri 12/03/10 04:30 AM
I've had this idea clanking around in my head for awhile now. It's to use colored glass, mp3 technology, and woodwork to create artsy type furniture such as coffee & end tables or the like.

The notion is to build in accent lighting and a docking/amplification/speaker system. The art glass would be inlaid and backlit and maybe even use some gold and silver leafing... Use some semi exotic wood grains maybe...

I've done a few polished & stained concrete countertops with some back/under lighting built in to create accent points and they've been pretty well received.

I'm gathering up materials and components now...

I figure I'll use a weekend after the holidays are over to see what I can come up with...

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 12/02/10 11:22 PM

Obama has had two years to repeal DADT.We both know the Republicans were powerless to stop anything in those two years.He could have passed it with ease.Obama keep stalling so he could point the finger at the Republicans and blame them for it not being repealed.

Obama knew if he did repeal it then he would have to do with a tital wave of negative publicity from people in the military in a already unpopular War.Obama will never repeal DADT.He is going to put it in some dark corner somewhere where it will be forgotten like he has for the last 2 years.

Agreed... It just isn't going to happen.

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 12/02/10 07:32 PM

So because of this purely isolated incident we are all "war criminals"?

spock

Gimme a break already....

Four more US soldiers are implicated in the case. The soldiers have been charged with other crimes, including mutilating bodies and keeping body parts as trophies. Imagine if we lose this war and actualy go to a Nuremburg type trial. Our entire government would be guilty. Bush Obama Pelosi, Hillary. We fabricated reasons for war many were cheerleaders. I wonder if the religouse members of the forum realy believe in their hearts we are doing the lords work?

"When we do good, nobody remembers. When we do bad, no one forgets"

What does religion have to do with anything?

And let me tell you a secret, we're ALL guilty of something.

What we are "doing" is attempting to root out the source of a serious threat and neutralize that threat with any means necessary.

How about we talk about the soldiers (and their families) who've sacrificed so very much to not only protect all Americans in general, but also the Afghans themselves.

To make assertions that America as a whole is rotten to the core because a few criminals decided to go Rambo is asinine.

imo

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 12/02/10 06:36 PM
So because of this purely isolated incident we are all "war criminals"?

spock

Gimme a break already....

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 12/02/10 05:52 PM
Edited by AllenAqua on Thu 12/02/10 05:54 PM

Folks who haven't been in the military can't appreciate what trust and teamwork is about.

i agree...to them, it just a big dating game that has nothing to do with the military... it really just makes me sick

So, you guys think that everyone in the military thinks the same way you do? That they're scared of gay men hitting on them? Why do you guys think the military wants DADT overturned?

hmmm.. read thomas's post, then get back to me

I'm asking you and the others for your opinions. Anyone can post an article or poll.

i think i have made my opinion plain as day in here... just in case you missed it, i'm 100% against it...

Yes, I get that. I'm sure everyone else does, too. But, as you can see, you didn't answer my questions.

no one has answered mine either... so I'll ask it again... why is it important to them to be openly gay in the military?

to answer yours, 1 - the military has functioned successfully for hundreds of years without anyone being openly gay in it... why change that?

2 - housing and bunking issues
3 - if something is not broke, then why try to fix it?
4 - issues concerning unfair and biased orders being given out, on both sides of the issue
5 - they money it will take to process these issues
6 - most straight men will not want to bunk with gays
7 - the military will lose a lot of good people if this goes through,
about a quarter of the active military will not resign, along with the people that will not want to join because of this.

not to metion the fact that the government is trampling on straight peoples rights to not have to serve with a gay...

I have to agree... It would ruin moral across the board and as far as "professionalism and duty" goes, well... Anyone who's ever been in combat knows that when the **** hits the fan and it all comes down to a gory, all out fight to the death, the overriding reason one doesn't run and hide is simply and purely because the fear of letting down your comrades is worse than the fear of dying. It takes a healthy moral for that to exist.

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 12/02/10 01:03 PM

I've said this before but no one responded to it. Concerning "gays" in the military, how's it going to work in any number of cases where the situation calls for a combat leader to make a decision to put his men in harm's way if he happens to be emotionally involved with either of them? It's a given that he (or she?) would be predisposed to not allow the object of his affections to become overtly endangered. Is this fair or right?

Another situation might be one where soldiers are captured and threatened with torture. I know for me at least, if my significant other was about to be tortured if I didn't spill the beans, I'd be very upset to say the least and might well do or say anything to prevent it (sorry to all the rest of you out there who'll suffer and die for my lover's sake).

I see it as a practical decision to not want couples serving together, heterosexual or not.

I think the point of contention is preventative measures vs disciplinary measures. Military have a contract to serve the government regardless of their relationships. These men do come to care greatly about each other as do the women because of the nature of the job and how much time they spend together but they still manage to do their job as is required. There are already homosexuals in the military so the issue isnt so much their preferences but the effect of OPENNESS under such circumstances. There is a difference between knowing and not knowing. If I am in the shower with someone attracted to females, regardless of their sex, its going to be an issue for me. If it is another female, my natural thought wont suspect such a thing and ignorance will indeed be bliss. But its not I whose privacy and personal bits are on the line, so I think those who are on the line should decide.

I think isolated trials make sense to see the reality of how it will work, and perhaps if our men and women are so overwhelmingly professional as to not have it matter , we can move on to a trial of coed bunking as well. Because, if the argument is that their duty will come first with no concern to their potential 'attractions',the same should hold true for heterosexuals.

Yes but that still doesn't address the potential for disaster which accompanies the allowing of couples to serve together, homosexual or not.

Is it not true that in essence, practically any service member can be called on to enter into harm's way?

I can imagine plenty of situations where it could hinder, if not outright be catastrophic to not only moral in general but actual combat tactical scenarios as I pointed out earlier.

Don't get me wrong, what someone does in their own bedroom is their business imo, but couples serving together can't be prevented if open homosexuality is allowed. In my mind, I'd think it wouldn't only concern them either but anyone and everyone who could stand to suffer loss on account of it.

Imagine you and your husband, boyfriend, sweetheart or whatever is serving in any war area of operations. You're both captured. It's known to the enemy that an intimate relationship exist between you. Could it not be possible and even likely that because of that reality or suspicion thereof that enemy would have extremely more leverage than otherwise?

Imagine again, if you will, that you as a combat leader have to decide which of your charges (those under your command) to send into a dangerous situation. Agreed that it's an ugly scenario in any case but how much can you trust that he didn't send soldier X because he has deeper feelings for that particular individual than he does for soldiers Y,Z,W etc, etc...?

It's not just the service member's privacy at stake here. It's potentially the lives of anyone else they serve with, not to mention the familys back home.

To me it's a moot point whether or not gays have a right to serve openly. The tactical ramifications way outweigh any and all other concerns in the matter.

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 12/02/10 08:38 AM
I've said this before but no one responded to it. Concerning "gays" in the military, how's it going to work in any number of cases where the situation calls for a combat leader to make a decision to put his men in harm's way if he happens to be emotionally involved with either of them? It's a given that he (or she?) would be predisposed to not allow the object of his affections to become overtly endangered. Is this fair or right?

Another situation might be one where soldiers are captured and threatened with torture. I know for me at least, if my significant other was about to be tortured if I didn't spill the beans, I'd be very upset to say the least and might well do or say anything to prevent it (sorry to all the rest of you out there who'll suffer and die for my lover's sake).

I see it as a practical decision to not want couples serving together, heterosexual or not.

AllenAqua's photo
Sun 11/28/10 06:09 PM
All I know is that an American who's traveled abroad extensively, I'm always happy to get back on my own soil...

I'm proud to be an American and I'm thankful for all the blessings, rights and privileges bestowed on that distinction.

:smile:

AllenAqua's photo
Sun 11/28/10 05:49 PM
Seriously ?

You've only been a member for 5 days but you have 5212 posts?

noway

AllenAqua's photo
Fri 11/26/10 10:26 AM
There's no way that I'd ever do that black Friday thing. I'm much more comfortable spending my time working to afford gifts than I ever would be while waiting and waiting to jostle with crowds to possibly save on limited gifts in a cattle herd type situation...

I just prefer to shop online. In fact, I'm much more into the holidays without all that hassle of waiting in any lines at all...

AllenAqua's photo
Mon 11/22/10 07:06 AM
I have mixed feelings about Florida. I've lived ten years or so there, on & off. Currently off...

What I love about it is:

Water sports heaven.

fantastic scenery.

babes in bikinis.

a good mixed bag of folks from all over...

plenty of things to do.

mild winters.

picking my own oranges in my aunt's back yard.

There's more but those are the main things...

I'll skip what I don't like since no place is perfect and that's not the question...

AllenAqua's photo
Mon 11/22/10 06:54 AM
by showing up hungry at my daughter's house to feast and spend quality time playing on the floor with my 17 mo. old happy camper grandson, of which I am so so thankful!

AllenAqua's photo
Sun 11/21/10 08:43 AM
It's tough for single moms. A mother's love is unconditional for a reason. It says "I love you no matter what". "You can be on death row and I'll still love you". This type of unconditional love gives a sense of security, which in the early stages of life is critical because children don't yet understand the world enough to gain a secure sense of "I'm alright because I know how to avoid danger". A mother's love is unconditional and is given in spite of everything else. It can not be earned, thus it requires no consideration beyond simple existence.

Fatherly love is different. In a sense, it IS conditional because it says " I love you because you accept my guidance". This type of love IS earned in so much that it requires compliance to the father's authority. Because it's earned it gives a sense of self esteem through the gradual realization that dad's approval is within the child's own control and by winning approval from dad they have control and in the process I win self esteem along with dad's esteem.

It's not impossible, but it is very difficult to provide both types of love as a mom. It comes natural to give unconditional love as a mother. Giving the very critical guiding love is much less natural but can be achieved by making sure that there are practical unchanging rules (appropriate for the age development range) in place without ambiguity.

It's a child's nature to explore the brand new world around them so they shouldn't be punished for doing what's in their nature but it's a parent's job to set clear boundaries that are based on principles set to help them understand the pitfalls as well as the rewards of their behavior.

It's certainly true that a mom's job is the hardest job in the world, so take lots of deep breaths, don't beat yourself up, seek support (as you are doing now), and always try hard to remember that children are happiest when they have consistent but always loving discipline.

Wishing you all the wonderful joys and rewards of parenthood. It's a daunting and sometimes completely frustrating experience but believe me, when you get to watch your children passing down those golden principles to their own kids, you forget all about how completely crazy it made you at times. flowerforyou

AllenAqua's photo
Mon 11/01/10 07:24 AM
Edited by AllenAqua on Mon 11/01/10 07:29 AM
For me it's a matter of perspective. If you've ever been to a third world country, and had the opportunity to experience the locals who get by and manage to be content, despite the fact that by our western standards are very very poor, it forces us to gain a healthy appreciation for our own life.

There's always someone who's worse off than us...

If you have your health, you have everything. imo

Just a friendly suggestion but volunteer work (of almost any type) does wonders for the soul and spirit that way.

As for jealousy, it's a normal human (and animal) reaction but it can be overcome with a change in perspective.

Remember the story about the dog with the bone? He didn't want his reflection to have a bone too so he barked to complain and lost his own bone in the process...

AllenAqua's photo
Tue 10/26/10 06:27 AM
Hoping it's a very happy birthday for ya ! flowerforyou drinker

AllenAqua's photo
Wed 10/13/10 07:36 AM
Hello Jennifer and welcome to the site. Since you like to chat, I'd encourage you to join in on the forums and get to know folks in here. You'll increase your views (people that view your profile page) and possibly make some dear new friends, as I have...

If you don't find topics that interest you, try starting your own threads. The more you participate, the more you'll get out of it.

Good luck and all my best...flowerforyou

AllenAqua's photo
Tue 10/12/10 06:50 AM
Amen to all that! :smile:

AllenAqua's photo
Wed 10/06/10 05:42 AM
Is this the "I don't want to belong to any club" club?

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 24 25