Community > Posts By > JimmyTheGent

no photo
Mon 09/26/11 06:47 PM
For anyone who likes beer, let me tell you that we are living in The Golden Age Of Beer. When my beer drinking career started back in the 70's, the choices were mainly between light lagers. Bud, Miller High Life and various regional beers like Schmidt's, Schaeffer, Carling Black Label and others. Coors had not made it east yet. Remember Smokey And The Bandit?

There are many good foreign beers, but Americans take pride in the large number of outstanding brews that are crafted right here. A couple of the larger microbrewers are Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada. There are literally thousands more.

Right now, you'll find a lot of Oktoberfest offerings as well as a good selection of Pumpkin Ales. I could go on about beer forever. Just be aware that there is a zillion beers out there now and you do not have to limit yourself to a choice between light lagers. When you go into any bar, check out the taps. The bartender will be more than happy to recommend a brew to your liking.

Cheers!

no photo
Mon 09/26/11 06:06 PM
I'm still interested in hearing answers to the question.

How many innocent people is it acceptable to execute to ensure that all of the guilty are also executed?

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 08:42 PM
Casablanca, Morocco

And a great movie!

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 08:34 PM
I'll repeat my question as it is the essential question here. If we have a death penalty, it is inevitable that innocent people will be executed. The question is:

How many innocent people is it acceptable to execute to ensure that we also execute the guilty ones?

Mightymoe says, "as many as it takes". What do you say?

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 07:14 PM

How many innocent people is it acceptable to execute to ensure that the guilty are executed?

as many as it takes... the man was not innocent, your just watching to much msnbc

Let me get this straight, because maybe I'm a little dense and misunderstand you.

You don't care how many innocent people are put to death, so long as we get the guilty ones?

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 06:50 PM
It is sad that this topic has gotten so little attention. Even death penalty supporters would agree that it is unjust, to put it mildly, to execute an innocent person. I don't know if Troy Davis was guilty or innocent. I do believe after reading and watching what was available that there was enough doubt that the execution should not go forward.

I would hope this sparks an awareness in this country that when you have a death penalty, innocent people are going to get it from time to time. No human being is perfect. No system is perfect. Mistakes happen. Just in this case, somebody innocent dies for that mistake.

I would ask this question.

How many innocent people is it acceptable to execute to ensure that the guilty are executed?

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 05:28 PM
Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find any mention of Troy Davis on here. Seems odd.

no photo
Thu 09/22/11 05:13 PM
New Baltimore, PA

no photo
Mon 04/11/11 05:19 AM
Kick him in the nuts and move on.

no photo
Mon 04/11/11 05:03 AM
Good points. And if you want to take it a step further, where are the NBA and NFL in all this? They are getting a free farm system via the NCAA. Kids who have no interest in school have no choice but to enroll in an NCAA program because it's the route to the pros. These kids are heavily recruited and this is where it gets dirty. Also, consider that the coach makes a $couple mil$ while the players make zero. Well not exactly zero - they do get a free education, but that doesn't come close to the millions the coaches make.

no photo
Mon 04/04/11 09:27 PM

Just say, "Nevermind", call her the c-word and move on.

Now Jimmy, a "gent" wouldn't use that word....

Hey, I didn't use it, I merely suggested its use. It takes real talent to use that word and still appear gentlemanly.

no photo
Mon 04/04/11 09:10 PM
Just say, "Nevermind", call her the c-word and move on.

no photo
Mon 04/04/11 08:50 PM
UConn wins. And Calhoun gets to serve his suspension next year. Lot of dirty people in college sports.

Also, the third time Steve Kerr said "length and athleticism", I was forced to use the mute button.

no photo
Sun 04/03/11 10:05 AM
Thanks, rlynne. I enjoy baseball history and this is good stuff which I had not heard before. I'm going to follow this and see if he makes the Hall. I would certainly vote "Yes".

no photo
Sat 04/02/11 10:21 AM
Definitely VCU or Butler on Monday against the winner of the NCAA Violations bracket.

no photo
Sat 04/02/11 07:47 AM
I'm a Turner Classic fan. Love those old B&W's. This is one of my all-time favorites - and was available free from the local public library. Just make sure to get them back on time. Overdue fines are stiff on DVD's. Anyway, it's:

Double Indemnity (1944)

Fred MacMurray
Barbara Stanwyck
Edward G. Robinson

Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1822621977/

FM & BS conspire to bump off BS's husband for insurance money. And if it's an accident, the policy pays double. Hence, Double Indemnity.

no photo
Wed 03/30/11 06:23 PM
Dang, I missed it. I took my talents to the movies last night.

no photo
Wed 03/30/11 11:14 AM

Yes, I believe in the death penalty. Life is full of choices..some make choices to sell drugs, rape and kill. They have no thought of their victims. Why should we cry when these people get caught and have to pay for their actions? There is also a saying from the Bible.....An eye for a eye.

Ezekiel (33:11): "As I live, says the Lord God, I swear I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked man, but rather in the wicked man's conversion, that he may live."

I only point out this verse to show that using specific Bible verses is not a good way to make an argument on any subject. Make an argument by use of verse A and I can make a counter-argument using verse B.

It is very easy to find a passage that supports your point of view. Then you can say,"There! I found it. It's in the Bible, so it is so." This allows you to stop considering anything else to the contrary - instead of looking at different points of view and other evidence to come to an informed opinion.

I have my own opinion on the subject, but that is not the point I am trying to make. Besides, I have never ever seen anyone switch sides during the course of a death penalty argument. It just doesn't happen.

no photo
Mon 03/28/11 09:29 PM
All bored people please go play in traffic.

no photo
Mon 03/28/11 09:10 PM
Birther Madness lives at Mingle2!

Look, you crazy birthers. Just accept the fact that he's president. I had to accept The Idiot Bush as much as I questioned the legitimacy of his election. Why don't you just focus on trying to vote him out come Nov. 2012? Instead of trying to perpetuate these ludicrous claims that are only making you look more and more foolish the longer you keep it up.

Here's some more stuff for you whackos to check out:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthcertificate.asp

I especially like the judge's words "frivolous and not worthy of discussion" in his ruling dismissing the crazy birther's suit.

Oh geez. Now Donald Trump is in on the deal. Is there no floor to this thing?

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 24 25