Community > Posts By > massagetrade

no photo
Thu 05/19/16 11:32 AM
I don't trust anyone's reporting on this, until I've read the actual text of the law myself...

...but this is exactly the kind of BS which many sjws would LOVE to see passed.

F this idea. I actually _believe_ in calling people their "preferred pronoun" out of basic courtesy, but it should never be mandated by law. Ug. Its enough to make me want to stop being courteous.

If you are a transgender person who thinks its okay to legally force me to call you with a certain pronoun, then you are _not_ deserving of that courtesy anyway.

no photo
Thu 05/19/16 11:27 AM

What a sorry place that is so obsessed with people's genitals.

I don't see many ways for us to move forward on this as a culture, really. There's bigots on both sides and they seem to be getting more entrenched.

One solution is just to build more and more private restrooms, and basically phase out group bathrooms; but the construction costs...

no photo
Thu 05/19/16 11:24 AM
I wonder how many trangendered people wish that liberals had never stuck their nose in this issue.

A lot of trans people are passing. Others are left alone because most transphobes will just finish quickly and get out of there.

But now that this has become a major ideological battle involving accusations of bigotry, states rights, religious rights, etc etc, its become such an inflamed issue with rising passions, I'd wager more and more people are acting out in hostile ways towards trans people.

I bet we're gonna read news stories about masculine women or effeminate men who are denied bathroom because someone _thought_ they were transgender using the 'wrong' bathroom.

no photo
Thu 05/19/16 11:17 AM
Why are you guys lobbing this criticism at Igor's post?

He is not supporting Hillary, here. He is saying that over-stating one's case often backfires, and he is right about that.

This is exactly what happened for many of us with BLM, for example. There are a LOT of people out there like me who care about racism and police violence; but understand that honesty and reason are necessary, more fundamental than fighting racism. We were instinctively sympathetic to the black lives matter movement until we learned that its built mostly on lies; so now we criticize BLM. If the BLM people made their case honestly, they would have a LOT more supporters.

I do not like Hillary, do not trust the media, and I have not really investigated many of the claims made against her so I don't have a position on some of the accusations against her...however I have investigated enough to know that some conservatives have really lost their head at times in their eagerness to demonize her (just like BLM protesters are so eager to demonize the police).

I think that in the end, sticking to the facts has the most power to sway the most people; and that's my take on Igor's post. The only thing I see as possibly controversial in Igor's post is: whether or not Benghazi is worth discussing.

If Hillary is even worse than some of us know, eventually we can be convinced by the facts.

no photo
Wed 05/18/16 04:11 PM
Oh, I thought it was one of those newfangled Pubic Charter Schools

no photo
Wed 05/18/16 03:56 PM

I think inter-Cultural Relationships are probably riskier than inter-Racial Relationships!

Exactly. Great point. A proper Irish person and a 3rd generation Irish-american could easily have more issues and challenges than, say, a white person with a black person, if both of them are, say, middle class college educated americans.

no photo
Wed 05/18/16 03:56 PM

#AsiansInPowerNow

Last time I read about it, Asian people make more money than white people in the US. You never hear about that, when people talk about various "wage gaps" that we just have to 'fix'.

no photo
Tue 05/17/16 04:25 PM

Just because you have privilege, it does not mean you haven’t experienced suffering, or that you have not worked hard for what you have. It simply means you are not part of a group that is a target of social oppression.
Then the racist prlcks should quit saying WHITE privilege. Many groups of people who happen to be white have faced "oppression"..... they just don't use it as a crutch to get through life.
In fact, most black folks don't use racism as a crutch....they work hard....just like other folks...and make a good life for themselves.
Its just the very vocal few that get heard.....probably because they have nothing better in life to do.....or they're looking to make an easy buck..... can't lose that cash cow, no sir.

Yes - in my experience, black people aren't more likely to become one of these nutjobs. Many black people think they are totally crazy. Like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcP0WmGB78A

Studying liberal arts in college, though, *does* make you more likely to become one of these nutjobs.

The scary thing, though, is that these kinds of people have had increasing influence over college culture, and colleges are pumping out these morons.

no photo
Tue 05/17/16 04:19 PM

Creationism is not a theory so it is not appropriate.

I see you have commented on the most controversial aspect of this story.

:tongue:

no photo
Tue 05/17/16 04:17 PM
I think that people like 'them' do most of the things they do simply in an effort to manipulate the media. They'll do anything to stay in the news.

no photo
Tue 05/17/16 04:05 PM

"If Trump wins, we're all screwed and all Latinos are screwed," Isaias Franco, a 46-year-old from El Salvador who was deported from the United States late last year and is now trying to get back, said at a migrant shelter in Ciudad Juarez, just across the border from El Paso, Texas.

Because.... its impossible to enter legally? All Latinos are screwed? No Latinos enter legally?

There screwed in El Paso, Texas because we have the highest apprehension rate in the US/Mexico border. This is were the illegals get caught and deported. Bu the way, our federal agents are 78% Hispanic origin. We also have alot of people who pay their league fees to become resident aliens, which eventually leads to citizenship after several years. This guy from El Salvador is usually part of the MS-13 Gang. Those people have that tattoo and they are automatically rejected for entry. Thats probably why he says their screwed. We don't need those ******** in Texas.

Do you think that a Trump presidency will have an adverse effect on *legal* immigration?

See, I think this guy was saying "all Latinos are screwed" because he wants to foster race-based hatred of Trump; and he wants to spread the idea that enforcing the immigration laws is an attack on all Latinos - regardless of immigration status.

no photo
Thu 05/12/16 04:13 PM
"If Trump wins, we're all screwed and all Latinos are screwed," Isaias Franco, a 46-year-old from El Salvador who was deported from the United States late last year and is now trying to get back, said at a migrant shelter in Ciudad Juarez, just across the border from El Paso, Texas.

Because.... its impossible to enter legally? All Latinos are screwed? No Latinos enter legally?

no photo
Thu 05/12/16 04:09 PM
Smithsonian tweeted and said they have no interest in the gun, and never had any interest in the gun.

So... probably some low level employee made some random comment to zimmerman, which he is inflating to hype the interest in the gun.

-----

You gotta love how so many media outlets keep posting that pic of Martin when he was about 12 years old or so, while calling him a "child". Technically he was a child because he was under 18, but he was years away from being the child shown in that photo.

no photo
Mon 05/09/16 07:34 PM

My idiot hippie friends use astronomical events to justify treating each other poorly. "Sorry i'm being so awful everyone, mercury is in retrograde - its not my fault"

Geez, what a cop-out. And it is just an illusion that Mercury is moving backwards.

In 2016, Mercury will be retrograde during:

January 5 to 25
April 28 to May 22
August 30 to September 22
December 19 to 31

* Old Farmers Almanac *

drinker flowerforyou

no photo
Mon 05/09/16 01:09 PM
<-- pro inter-racial relationships, indifferent to LDRs

no photo
Mon 05/09/16 01:07 PM
My idiot hippie friends use astronomical events to justify treating each other poorly. "Sorry i'm being so awful everyone, mercury is in retrograde - its not my fault"

no photo
Mon 05/09/16 01:05 PM
also "Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne" - the original, not the fan-made version

no photo
Mon 05/09/16 01:04 PM
Heroine Hero

no photo
Sun 05/08/16 08:01 PM
Edited by massagetrade on Sun 05/08/16 08:02 PM
People like me who have lived modestly and saved money shouldn't have see our tax dollars going to those who have lived extravagantly and saved no money.

Exactly!

It seems to me that a major cause of poverty among people that I've known is having an addiction to an unnecessarily high standard of living. (That, combined with a failure to plan for worst case scenarios).

I've watched people with much higher standards of living than I have who drive themselves into poverty. They face some unexpected challenge, and I suggest to them that maybe they should start making reasonable changes to become thriftier to weather the storm. They refuse. They cling to their high-consuming lifestyle. Before you know it, they are completely out of money, and talking about how the government *ought* to pay their housing costs - even though their housing costs are over twice what mine are!

These people are not incentivized to save money and plan ahead, because they just rely on government assistance.

It's a shame. Too often, government assistance weakens people, and makes them irresponsible.

no photo
Sun 05/08/16 12:19 PM
Okay, lets start this by saying when you think of public assistance or state welfare, what's the first thing comes to mind? "

Dishonest people who exploit a system that was designed to help people that were actually needy.

A slippery slope of rationalizations, as entire communities of people get increasingly comfortable living off of the work of others.

Idealists who think they are trying to make the world a better place but who interfere with reforms that would actually benefit poor people.

1 2 5 6 7 9 11 12 13 24 25