Community > Posts By > LTme

LTme's photo
Fri 06/19/15 12:14 PM
"I disagree with that I highlighted in bold and Denmark's government is a constitutional monarchy making your question 'irrelevant'" L2

If style of government were the issue I'd agree.
But virtually every federal government has a military.
I gather the Vatican is theologically pacifist; yet they have their Swiss Guard.

I thought Denmark was a NATO member, and therefore must have a military, as it's a membership requirement.

But it wouldn't matter. Pick any counter-example you prefer, with whatever style of government you wish.
The same exact rule applies.

Being armed to the teeth as we are indicates one of two things.
- Either we're paranoid, and it's not necessary. Or,
- We're making enemies most other nations don't have.

And btw, some might consider the U.K. a monarchy.
But it has a Prime Minister (I've been to his house) and a functioning parliament.
The House of Windsor is more or less a nostalgic legacy retained for tourism.

LTme's photo
Fri 06/19/15 09:47 AM
mm
Precisely.

BUT !!

a) I've never seen a one sided coin.

b) Context matters.

What sense does it make to talk bad about Islam's sexism, if U.S. sexism is as bad or worse.

There are nations in that region that have had female political leaders.

The U.S. has had only men.

You think that's irrelevant?

LTme's photo
Fri 06/19/15 09:42 AM
Yes 2A,
I probably mislead.

My commercial power provider used to be called "Niagara - Mohawk", named for the hydro-electric assets that served them.

It was bought out several year ago (ironically by an international entity) by National Grid.

Since the acquisition, commercial power failures here are both less frequent, and of shorter duration.

I've equipped my home with an "uninterruptible power supply" (UPS). So even when the commercial power fails, my lights stay on.

I don't like to waste food. So much of what I eat either doesn't require refrigeration (pasta, canned chicken or canned vegetables) or is purchased in small enough quantities to limit risk.

But I enjoy potato salad, so risk it sometimes:

Mmmmmm yummy !!

LTme's photo
Fri 06/19/15 09:25 AM
Thanks mm.

There's subjectivity, and there's objectivity.

The U.S. tradition is not an objective standard for gender equality.

We have gender segregation in the U.S. (thank gosh!).

Public toilets are segregated, Women's and Men's.

I support the principle of equality under law.
But I do not advocate for unisex public toilets.

LTme's photo
Fri 06/19/15 09:17 AM
"Why aren't you just scrambling them and freezing that 'liquid' egg mixture in ice cube trays? 2 cubes = 1 egg for any recipe.
"LIQUIDFIED" eggs is what most restaurants/food service places order the most quantity in...they use very little 'CRACK EGG' per order." 2A

Thanks 2A.

I like your style.
"The neurotic has suspicions, the psychotic has convictions. psychiatrist Thomas Szasz

Thank you for asking, instead of assuming.

To answer, several reasons.

a) I live alone, in a tower, in the forest, ~70 miles round-trip from shopping.
My refrigerator is small, and the freezer unreliable; it shuts down in Winter, so I use it only for bottles of H2O. When the commercial power fails, I move the ice into the refrigerator, so I don't have to fire up the generator (for the first few hours).

b) We get commercial power failures here. We had two yesterday, the latter lasing hours. So frozen food here risks peril, particularly in my tiny freezer, that non-frozen refrigerated food does not.

c) Some of my neighbors live off the grid. And one of them told me eggs don't need refrigeration, and that she kept them out of direct sunlight, under the kitchen sink, without spoilage problem.
I don't remember how long she said they last that way, but she seems to think it's adequate.

d) While I like eggs prepared in a skillet, my kitchen isn't well suited to it. It's easier to boil them, and just grab a few hard-boiled ones when I need a snack.

e) While viable, I suspect me implementing your suggestion would result in a net increase in man-hours per egg.
I like simplicity, and durability. My way, no need to wash ice cube trays, do all the prep work, etc.
And my way is less mess. No liquids exposed, except the water they boil in.
I just boil them, and put them in the fridge. The next step is eating them.
mmmm yummy !

PS
If some of that still doesn't make sense, I used to do some efficiency work (Sir Fredrick Winslow Taylor type stuff) for a Fortune 500.
I like efficiency.

My previous two "cars" were trucks.
But I prefer my simple, comfortable, economical car.

It's a wonderful car for two, for a day trip, or whatever.

I could ride a Harley. But my Yamaha is a 250cc.
It's a wonderful machine, and I've gotten over 90 MPG with it.

LTme's photo
Fri 06/19/15 08:44 AM
" there was a 'RULE of 25 yrs' and the monetary images were to be changed. " 2A

Perhaps.
It would seem to me a dismal blunder to foolishly mis-rank our Founder's contributions, for purpose of adhering to such rule.

Rules can be broken. And in this case, that may be the ideal solution.

& or if necessary, Congress could rewrite the rule, delete it, or whatever.

LTme's photo
Fri 06/19/15 08:33 AM
Note:
I bought a few 18 packs just before price-hikes.

But it turns out, raw eggs keep under refrigeration about five times as long as hard-boiled eggs.

Though it may be less energy efficient, it may be best to only hard-boil them about a week in advance.

If hard-boiled too far in advance, the whites go gooey.

PS
When hard-boiling eggs, does the yoke end up with a dark outside, not healthy yellow like the inside?

PBS America's Test Kitchen says, that's from over-cooking; a formation of sulfur compounds reacting between yoke and white; and the way to avoid it is to not overcook them.

Under-cooking them is a bad idea.
But cooking them so the yokes are fully cooked, but only yellow may be the more aesthetic presentation.

And hard-boiled eggs still warm from cooking are nearly as tasty as soft-boiled eggs.

LTme's photo
Fri 06/19/15 08:23 AM
Meanwhile I heard a thoughtful comment on the radio this morning:

That because of the pivotal role Hamilton played in economic stabilization, we should keep the $10.oo as it is, and bump Jackson off the $20.

LTme's photo
Fri 06/19/15 08:02 AM
Indeed so mw!

But to me, perhaps the most alarming is the U.S.' expanding imperialism.

How bad is it?

I gather there are 28 NATO member nations.
According to what I've read of it, not only does the U.S. spend more on military than any other NATO member nation.
What I've read indicates the U.S. spends more on military than all the other NATO member nations, combined!

If it is necessary for the U.S. to spend that much; then we are CLEARLY doing something wrong in our foreign policy, to collect so many dangerous enemies.

How many nuclear aircraft carriers does Denmark have?

LTme's photo
Fri 06/19/15 07:28 AM
Government sophisticated enough to govern a population of over 300,000,000 in a modern Western style society must be intrinsically imperfect.

Why?

Ideally suit one government to one specific static condition of the governed, and as that dynamic profile of the governed changes as it inevitably does, the formerly perfect government will no longer be.

It remains an uneasy truce in the U.S.

But it is a painfully sad irony to me that we have higher taxation, more severe more punitive self-government in the 3rd Millennium than we had under the 18th Century stewardship of King George III; who at the time was so non-responsive to the People's needs our forefathers waged a bloody Revolution to rid themselves of it.

LTme's photo
Fri 06/19/15 07:07 AM
"And living quarters for " HONOR INMATES " has been shut down." S2

If I understand the reports of it, power-tools were used in the escape.
How could an entire cell-block not have heard any of that?

I don't endorse punishing the victim, punishing the innocent for the sins of the guilty.

AND

I fully recognize the benefit to the whole People to reward consistent good behavior by prisoners.
But granting special privilege to wear non-prison clothing goes too far.

I hope, for the benefit of the tax payer granting trivial privilege to obedient prisoners is continued.
A colossal blunder punitive taskmasters continue to make is taking away so much from such prisoners leaves prisoner custodians no maneuver room, to punish bad behavior.
"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose." Kris Kristofferson

I understand the penalty of being a "stoolie" in prison.
But there should be rules to defend such informants, even if it means moving the informant to "Club Fed" as a reward.

LTme's photo
Thu 06/18/15 11:16 PM
"Many tenants of Islam are incompatible with Western culture." mw

Splendid.
But that doesn't refute the posted topic title.

In the United States (in some ways representative of Western culture) women are known to be paid less for the same job than men.
In Western culture women are expected to have pre-pubescent hairless bodies, to look pretty, and act charming.
But for men belching and farting are distinctions of a "manly man".

"Western culture" isn't the issue, because "Western culture" is not the objective standard of gender equality.

That "Western culture" is unfair to women too doesn't render the unfairness to women in Islam any less troublesome.

LTme's photo
Thu 06/18/15 10:00 PM
Thanks mm.
I'm a victim of my own confirmation bias here. I'm inclined to agree with you.

BUT !!

I addressed this issue several years ago with a poster from India.
He made a persuasive case (despite sleeveless burkas) that in Islam women are respected; and cited as examples numerous women that had been heads of State, including Indira Gandhi.

BUT !!

If Islam is so respectful of women, why must they be chaperoned in public?
Why are they forbidden to drive cars?
etc.

I think you're right, and "honor killings", a euphemism for murder Orwell would be impressed by, may be as good an example as any.

Thanks for the topic mm.

LTme's photo
Thu 06/18/15 08:35 PM
It's an amusing notion al.
I don't know the literary origin of the characters.

I gather the radio show The Lone Ranger began during Prohibition.

I don't know about the history of the coins. But I suspect at least one if not both predate the radio show.

I appreciate your creative ruse.
But I think we can rule Sacajawea out for the $10.oo bill.

note:
Tonto National Monument, central Arizona, established in 1907. The monument contains two well-preserved cliff dwellings that were inhabited in the 13th and 14th centuries by the Salado, an agricultural people who farmed the Salt River valley. The adobe ruins are two stories high. Area, 4.5 sq km (1.7 sq mi).

Encarta� 98 Desk Encyclopedia � & 1996-97 Microsoft Corporation.
All rights reserved.

LTme's photo
Thu 06/18/15 08:16 PM
It's a lovely countenance, but in no way at all corroborates your assertion that it's that particular person personified by BOTH the Indianhead penny, and the Indianhead nickel.

LTme's photo
Thu 06/18/15 07:37 PM
"Tonto" al

Seriously?
On BOTH the penny, and the nickel?

Can you offer a corroborating link?
"I am surprised it won't be Kim Kardashian's a$$..." IV

They already thought of that, but it wouldn't fit.

LTme's photo
Thu 06/18/15 07:26 PM
"Did you forget about that Indian Head Nickel we used to have ..." 2A

Yes. I did forget.
And as there was an Indian head penny, that might seem like a protocol breach as well.

BUT !!

I believe that was a generic "Indian" (aboriginal American), intended to represent all tribes, and all members of each tribe.

If either the nickel "Indian" or the penny "Indian" was to represent a specific person, who?

LTme's photo
Thu 06/18/15 06:49 PM
"no one uses that coin" 2A

That's true, but immaterial.
I gather it's still legal tender for all debts both public and private.

The point is, it exists.
So having the Sac-meister on two different forms of U.S. currency would trump Washington, and all the rest.

It would be a protocol breach.

LTme's photo
Thu 06/18/15 06:28 PM
Sure 2A.

Sacajawea is a superb choice.

But we've already got a $dollar $coin with her on it.

But she was a remarkable, perhaps heroic woman!

LTme's photo
Thu 06/18/15 06:11 PM
Harriet Tubman beat out Eleanor Roosevelt in a popularity contest for it.
That's fine.
But in all candor, I think Hamilton is the better looking woman.

t8,
Problem is, the "green back" is quite easily counterfeited.
More so than many other popular currencies.

North Korea is believed to be a major source of counterfeit U.S. currency; a direct impact on the U.S. economy.

I understand. I'm somewhat of a traditionalist as well.

BUT !!!

There's more people on this planet than dead White guys.
I don't think having a woman on our currency is such a bad idea.
But I'd have thought Dolly Madison might have been the more obvious choice.

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 18 19