Community > Posts By > GreenEyes48

GreenEyes48's photo
Thu 02/14/13 04:24 AM
It might be hard for me to be involved with a man who had a big extended family IF there were a lot of expections...For instance I wouldn't want to feel obligated to have everyone over for dinner every single Sunday...Or go to someone else's house for dinner every single weekend...Would I be able to "opt-out" of some of the get-togethers and family events at times? Or would this make me look like a "sinner" and mean and uncaring person??..I enjoy having free and independent time. (Off the "hook" space and time.) I'm used to being more of a loner...Family get-togethers and special events can be fun and rewarding but I don't want to feel obligated to take-in everything..I don't want to end-up feeling suffocated or smothered.

GreenEyes48's photo
Thu 02/14/13 04:00 AM
If I were involved with a man I'd never expect him to "foot" the entire bill and cost of a vacation...It's always been hard for me to sit in the passenger's seat while a man pays for everything...I don't want to take advantage of anyone...So I guess I tend to be on the practical-side...But this doesn't mean there can't be some romance too. (And fun and play etc.)

GreenEyes48's photo
Thu 02/14/13 02:49 AM
I'm not ready to date yet..Just here to connect with friends and post on the forum...This is a friendly place!

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 01:55 PM

I've known women and even some men who seem to be "romance addicts."...I think some of it has to do with wanting to be "rescued" from a dull life. (Like the story-lines and plots in fairy tales.)...What do you think?

Yeah; I have known guys like that and is exasperating. I always believe there can be too much of something and that it gets annoying.
I think I get scared-off when guys send me introductory emails and call me "sweetheart" or "beautiful" (or terms like this) right off the bat because it reminds me of romance novels...I don't want to feel obligated to play a role in someone's "love drama." How do you feel about it?...I feel safer when men just "talk straight." And don't hint at love or romance when they first approach me.

Yeah; I like straight talk myself and tell guys to cut the crap. If a guy is all over the romantic stuff; then yep he will appear clingy and needy which is hugh turnoff.

So you are saying I shouldn't bring flowers on a first date?
I'm not a big fan of flowers...But a box of chocolate truffles or candy would be nice...I brought my female friend some french vanilla coffee when I stopped by to see her yesterday...She and her husband sent me home with a couple of steaks the other day...I brought one steak over to my neighbor who is a widower...Sometimes it's fun to bring special treats over to friends...I'm not against any of this...If someone invites me to dinner I try to bring a little something...I don't necessarily view it as romance...It's just fun to spoil the people we care about and bring treats or gifts when we feel like it and can...I'm not good with flowers. They are pretty but I feel sad when they die and I have to throw them away...Living plants probably work better for me.

I guess I am a difficult gal. I am not a fan of flowers, chocolate, lingerie, and especially jewelry. Now maybe a nice new Dewalt drill might get my attention. laugh
I hardly ever wear jewelry so it's not my thing...My husband bought me some "plain Jane" underware when he went out shopping one time. I was running out and he volunteered to pick me up a package but I usually got my own...I'm the one who requested simple and "plain Jane." I don't like frilly and lacy stuff against my skin...I do a lot of writing so my husband made sure I always had plenty of pens and paper and ink and paper for our computer printer etc.

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 01:45 PM

Some people don't have a very realistic view about love or marriage...They aren't really prepared for a life of dirty socks and bills to pay and nights when their partner is dead-tired from a long and hard day at work...Life can still be pleasant even though there is stuff to do besides just sitting around and hugging and kissing and doing non-stop "baby talk."...I think it helps to have a realistic view about marriage versus expecting married life to be about love, love, love and more love (and romance galore) day and night...Don't you?

Well, yeah... I'd have to agree with that!

I guess that the word love has so many different meanings that I over-looked what you were referring to.
So thanks for taking the time to explain it further.
Thanks...I care about people and couples...I'd love to see every marriage and relationship succeed...It's sad when people become disillusioned and lose faith and trust and give up on love entirely. (Due to negative and unhappy experiences in their past.)

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 01:29 PM
Edited by GreenEyes48 on Wed 02/13/13 01:32 PM

I love a romantic man, one that is affectionate and kind-hearted in many ways. I have not met a romance addict.
My husband had cute (and low-key ways) of sneaking in romance once in awhile and making me smile. (And blush!)...Early in our relationship he changed the chorus line of a popular Neil Diamond song without telling me in advance. ("Sweet Caroline.")...He replaced "Sweet Caroline" with "sweet Claire of mine!" (My name.)...And he sang the song and his special chorus line (for me) everytime the song came on the radio in such a cute, cute way. (Straight from his heart!) And I loved it!...When I hear the song today I feel like he's talking to me and reminding me that he loves me! (I'm shedding a few tears right now.)...Anyway I'm glad he snuck in a little romance once in awhile! He was sure cute!...But it would been hard for me to live and breathe romance every single second of each day.

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 01:12 PM

Some people don't have a very realistic view about love or marriage...They aren't really prepared for a life of dirty socks and bills to pay and nights when their partner is dead-tired from a long and hard day at work...Life can still be pleasant even though there is stuff to do besides just sitting around and hugging and kissing and doing non-stop "baby talk."...I think it helps to have a realistic view about marriage versus expecting married life to be about love, love, love and more love (and romance galore) day and night...Don't you?

Well, yeah... I'd have to agree with that!

I guess that the word love has so many different meanings that I over-looked what you were referring to.
So thanks for taking the time to explain it further.

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 01:09 PM

I've known women and even some men who seem to be "romance addicts."...I think some of it has to do with wanting to be "rescued" from a dull life. (Like the story-lines and plots in fairy tales.)...What do you think?

Yeah; I have known guys like that and is exasperating. I always believe there can be too much of something and that it gets annoying.
I think I get scared-off when guys send me introductory emails and call me "sweetheart" or "beautiful" (or terms like this) right off the bat because it reminds me of romance novels...I don't want to feel obligated to play a role in someone's "love drama." How do you feel about it?...I feel safer when men just "talk straight." And don't hint at love or romance when they first approach me.

Yeah; I like straight talk myself and tell guys to cut the crap. If a guy is all over the romantic stuff; then yep he will appear clingy and needy which is hugh turnoff.

So you are saying I shouldn't bring flowers on a first date?
I'm not a big fan of flowers...But a box of chocolate truffles or candy would be nice...I brought my female friend some french vanilla coffee when I stopped by to see her yesterday...She and her husband sent me home with a couple of steaks the other day...I brought one steak over to my neighbor who is a widower...Sometimes it's fun to bring special treats over to friends...I'm not against any of this...If someone invites me to dinner I try to bring a little something...I don't necessarily view it as romance...It's just fun to spoil the people we care about and bring treats or gifts when we feel like it and can...I'm not good with flowers. They are pretty but I feel sad when they die and I have to throw them away...Living plants probably work better for me.

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 11:55 AM

I think there's nothing wrong with that at all. I think i would rather hang out with people who see romance in everything rather than haters. What do you think?
It's not about hate...A person can still see joy in life and have fun even though they don't want to do fairy-tales per se...We never really heard what happened to Snow White or Cinderella after they got married...We were just told that they lived "happily ever after" minus the details...I think the divorce rate is sky-high because couples get married with tons of illusions. They expect to live "happily ever after" too but when the honeymoon phase ends and "real life" sets in they are "bummed" and disappointed...Some even feel "tricked" or "cheated" and super angry about it too...And they bring their anger and "old baggage" with them into new relationships...I think it's smart and wise to be a little more realistic ahead of time and ready to love but prepared for "real life" too...Maybe couples would benefit from taking classes on "creative problem solving." Or classes about working together as a team. Or how to make everyday chores less stressful and more fun etc.

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 11:38 AM

So there's no hope for us romance - driven men?
Every relationship needs a sprinkling of romance and fun and play to keep things "alive." This is how I feel anyway...But I just don't want to feel obligated to play out a role in a movie or romance novel 24/7...This can get old and be boring. I don't like "set roles" very much...They can be too confining and limiting and restrictive...I don't want my wings "clipped!" I want to feel "free" to spread my wings and explore new aspects and sides to myself all the time...And I enjoy being around "multi-dimensional men" too.

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 11:23 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by Romance Addicts...?
Are talking about folks that dance from relationship to relationship?
When the flames die down a bit... they go find something new?

Or folks that love Love and all the beautiful emotions and actions often associated with an intimate relationship?
Then go to great lengths to keep that spirit alive in a monogomous affair with their life-long partner?

Either way... to each their own.

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 11:04 AM

Looking back I can see that I definitely got caught-up in the "prince charming" stuff when I married my first husband...Of course I was only 18 at the time and "green" behind my ears...He presented himself as my "rescuer." ("Knight in shining armor!") And I was anxious to leave home at the time since my family had ongoing problems back then...But everything changed when the "honeymoon phase" was over and I sure felt disappointed...I had a lot of lessons to learn about love and relationships during my younger years. (Lessons learned the "hard way!")...When I met my "last" husband (later in life) I wasn't looking for someone to "rescue me.".. I was looking for a best friend and companion and someone to "enjoy."

I read you loud and clear Greeneyes!....The important thing for me is learning and holding on to a willingness to try again...After my last serious relationship ended, I spent five years getting reacquainted with me before I felt ready...It was the best thing I ever did! flowerforyou :heart: flowerforyou
Good for you for taking time out to "find yourself" again before you started dating new men...I had a quickie 2nd marriage that didn't even last a year after I divorced my 1st husband...After that I waited 12 years before I was ready to commit to someone new....But the 3rd time was definitely the "charm" for me and the marriage that lasted.

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 10:55 AM

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 10:46 AM

:thumbsup: Everything in moderation...Clingy and needy are huge turnoffs for me....
Yuk! No clingy and needy for me either!...I think relationships work best when each partner has a measure of self-sufficiency...When both partners can think "independent thoughts" and come up with novel ideas on their own...Yet they enjoy working together as a team and don't get caught-up in silly and needless games...Or heavy-duty competition. What do you think? Thanks for all you've shared.

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 08:49 AM
I never expected to lose my husband and both my sons within a few short years...I never expected that they would all die so young...And I'm the last one "left."...Right now I don't have plans for the future yet. Just taking things day by day for now...Before I can make plans I have to reinvent myself and figure out "who I am" today (minus my family) and decide what I might like or want for myself...I feel like Humpty Dumpty right now and I'm in "pieces."...What "pieces" do I want to keep? And which "pieces" should I discard because they don't apply to my current life or fit me anymore?...No one expects to suddenly lose their entire family. It's unthinkable...And I certainly didn't expect to lose both of my kids too...It just takes time to absorb all of it and get through the grief and make plans for a new life on my own.

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 07:48 AM
Looking back I can see that I definitely got caught-up in the "prince charming" stuff when I married my first husband...Of course I was only 18 at the time and "green" behind my ears...He presented himself as my "rescuer." ("Knight in shining armor!") And I was anxious to leave home at the time since my family had ongoing problems back then...But everything changed when the "honeymoon phase" was over and I sure felt disappointed...I had a lot of lessons to learn about love and relationships during my younger years. (Lessons learned the "hard way!")...When I met my "last" husband (later in life) I wasn't looking for someone to "rescue me.".. I was looking for a best friend and companion and someone to "enjoy."

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 07:26 AM
I enjoy being entertained...My husband did a great Tom Jones impersonation that always cracked me up...And he could reach high notes (with a little crackling) on songs...My husband and I both loved to dance and we went out and "danced the night away" quite often...Once in awhile we'd even dance down the aisle in the supermarket if a song came on that we liked. (And the aisle was empty at the time!)...Sometimes we pretended that we were in musicals and broke out in "song and dance" wherever we were...It was fun. We all loved to get silly and "nutty" at times. (My sons too!)...My younger son did fantastic voice impersonations. And my older son had a great "Latin lover" skit and routine that always made me laugh...My husband and I could sit and have super interesting discussions about every topic imaginable...But we always made time for fun and play too and a little spontaneous (and unexpected) romance once in awhile. Life was full of surprises!...I sure miss everyone! Now I sing and dance and "get nutty" with the cats once in awhile just to avoid getting bored.

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 07:02 AM

I brought my male neighbor a big steak a few days ago just to say "hi" and see how he's doing...He's a widower and the holidays were rough for him without his wife...He's been hibernating and staying inside most of the time lately and I wasn't sure if he even had food to eat in his house...Having company must have helped. I saw him outside yesterday and he said he walked down to the river and enjoyed being outside again..I've been alone since my husband and son died (too) and I know it's easy to get into the "hibernating mode."...I post on the forum at times just to feel part of the world! (And less alone.) Need the mental stimulation too!

cool, that you breathed some life back into your neighbor by your generosity... especially since hibernation can be so comfortable in winter, it's just that darn "being alone in it" part that sux so much... and I'm glad you're posting on the boards, cuz I've enjoyed getting to know you... flowerforyou
Thanks...I've sure enjoyed your posts and threads. And I enjoy getting to know you too...I enjoy your "active mind" and unlimited curiosity...Mostly I'm a loner. It's just me here with the 2 cats I have left. My son died in September. And one of my son's cats died 2 weeks later...Then one of my cats died last month...I don't see people all the time. My close-close friends live far away now...The widower and I are going to have lunch out on Valentine's Day strictly as friends...He's not over losing his beloved wife yet and I still have grief to work through over losing my husband and both my sons.

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 06:48 AM

I'm sure romance holds unique connotation for each person and each romance they experience....I agree that some women are romance addicts and I think what drives them varies, ranging from a need for financial security to an array of psychological and emotional needs and/or problems...When I was in college, I met a woman who was addicted to romance novels....She seemed convinced that the stories were reality based....She had lots of short term romances and kept us entertained with the details of each during our breaks laugh
Great post...I know some women who are super-super tough and macho yet they love to read romance novels in their spare time. Go figure...These women complain about their husbands a lot. But the truth is they hardly ever let their husbands see their "softer sides." They act tough and macho most of the time so how can they expect their husbands to ever feel romantic towards them?

GreenEyes48's photo
Wed 02/13/13 06:24 AM

Romance has it's time and place. Spontaneity is good.

Feeling content and at ease in your home with your partner is soul enriching.

Me, I'm pretty boring in the daily routine of things.

Mine is just an ordinary life. I do run into a lot of extraordinary folks.
I like the part about "feeling content and at ease at home with your partner." This says it all for me. And this is what I used to have with my husband for nearly 25 years. (Until he passed away. Sad!)...Love doesn't have to be about fireworks and roses and sipping champagne day and night.. Or "hoochie-goochie" 24/7...I agree with you...Love is about having peace and feeling loved and "loving back" in simple and quiet ways.