Community > Posts By > lighthouselover

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 02:08 PM

I don't think people should have computers in their bedroom.

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 02:07 PM

I like Quizno's!

NUCLEAR BLAST.........

laugh laugh laugh laugh

as long as it doesn't blow the Bridge out!!!

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 02:05 PM

try to find and plant native species for your area.....most are or have been wiped out by non-native species....

I will look into that.

I am very fortunate to live in an area that is fairly pristine. Only about 8-10% of the land in the UP of MI is settled or developed; the rest is trees and wild plants, animals, lakes, streams, waterfalls, of which most is protected.

there are areas of wetlands that have revived many native species of plants and animals as well...

Great idea!!!

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 02:02 PM

Yes, my home is named.

It has some history from the Chippewa and from that the name "Enchatment" was given to it.

I have also tagged it..."somewhere over the rainbow"

I live on Lake Superior...the big lake they call Gitchi Gumee...and the land that I live on was once a place where tribal members came for healing.

The waters on the shore here were believed to be enchanted and sacred. The Chippewa name for it is "Tala Hi" which is pronounced "Tall a he".

many homes up here are named, and people name their camp too. Might be a YOOPER thing!! happy

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 01:57 PM

I like Quizno's!

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 01:55 PM

How do we know what is real?

Because we say it is. Because we decide it is. Because we agree it is.

Knowledge is the official record (or agreement) of what the realist majority has declared is true and real.

so, again...is there any set of knowledge that is not an official record?

Could a person have knowledge that no one else has?

Or is this just the realist definition of knowledge?

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 01:52 PM

Billy you are confusing knowledge (data) with wisdom (how to use knowledge).

You can know everything there is to know in the universe, knowledge, but if you cannot utilize the knowledge other than to state it as given to you, you have no wisdom.

What is the good of all the knowledge in the universe to you then?

so you are saying that all knowledge is data? Is there any knowledge that would not be data?

Would that mean that all knowledge is then accessible to everyone?

or would you agree that some knowledge is simply knowing...with out any data?

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 01:46 PM

Try the local library for gardening magazines or books!

And there is nothing wrong with walking around the neighborhood and talking with the neighbors.

Thanks!

Yuppers!! I have also ordered all kinds of free catalogs as well..

We drove into Marquette (I live out of town) and we took a bunch of pictures of some gardens around businesses and some condo's...and we ran into the gardener that takes care of them!! lots of information!!

it was fun to do!! and free too!

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 01:22 PM

The past couple of years I have been creating a new normal in my life for a variety of reasons...

one thing that I have discovered is that I love to garden...at this point, I am doing non-food gardens and learning so much. I have tried over the past few years to do this, but my job had a lot of traveling in it and when I would come home on the weekend, the plants looked like ****...

so, now I have been at home and I have discovered such a great satisfaction and peace from working in my gardens...

What are some things that you do to make your gardening more enjoyable?

What are your favorite plants/flowers?

smokin Marijuanasmokin

smokin smokin smokin flowerforyou smokin smokin

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 01:22 PM

National Home Gardening Club http://www.gardeningclub.com/Main/default.aspx

Is what I subscribed to when I first started out. It provides a magazine, online forums and product testing! If you don't mind paying a little bit of money, this might be worth it!

right now I cannot afford anything extra at all...

when I finally get a job again, I will look into it for sure!!

Thanks!

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 01:18 PM
Edited by lighthouselover on Tue 07/21/09 01:19 PM

Based upon the definitions for both, Realism & Idealism, it seems as though Realism is grounded in Knowledge (science), while Idealism is based upon Wisdom (perception).

But in real life Idealism is more important because
if we perceive something as black (or white), it doesn't really matter whether it is Really white (or black)! (the difference is of paramount importance only from the scientific/realistic point of view...)
[\quote]

I am not sure that either one is more important. Idealism has to have knowledge as well, the knowledge to recognize the idealistic view and the perception. I will have to think about this for a bit...

At the same time, Realism teaches us the understanding of true nature of things. Yet, without the Idealistic support (i.e.funding), the former would not progress at all.

* Ideally, there should be a third notion -- a combination of the two -- say, REALIDEALISM LOL what spock noway

P.S.
The heading of the notebook, where I keep all of my poems,
idealistically states: "Reality -- the way I perceive it..."

hmmmm... "the true nature of things"...

The reality that has been crafted and labeled by people of power. The reality of what is given to us. There is a "question behind the question" and an "answer behind the answer"....

the reality that has been accepted by some/most? of the society? the information that may or may not be true...

Let's make the assumption that the people with the money(funding) also have the power...to me, those would be the Realists. And if that holds true, then the Realists would not want to further the Idealist agenda...

and I cannot think that the Idealists would want to further progress the Realistic agenda...especially given the state of the world's people today...

I could be wrong...

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 01:00 PM

hey deb, glad you've found a hobby in gardening. i wish i had a large backyard so that i could do landscape/architectural design which is my real passion. i can only imagine the beauty of your yard when it's all done. i think ornamental grass would be great for the stretch down to the lake.

i've been outside for the better part of a day pruning the wisteria tree. while i was in florida, my parents said that whenever the wind blew they thought it would take the entire deck with it. noway

Thank you Lisa!

I really have enjoyed the gardening so much! Darrel has been great about building the areas for the gardens. There was quite a bit of wood in the garage rafters so it didn't even cost!

I would LOVE to do some grand stuff here...and I agree that the ornamental grass would be great!! I have one tuft of it out front now. People say that it does not do well here...who knows...

How big is your Wisteria tree..I want on so bad! I think they are just gorgeous!!

I have learned so much about various plants...i think it is a good thing that I don't have any money!! OMG!!! the gardening websites...

we want to turn part of the front yard into some raised gardens...thinking of rock walls...

it is a good thing that Darrel has a strong back!!

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 12:24 PM

I am tired...I think I need a nap.

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 12:19 PM

Oh MY!! You have made it to the milestone!!

YEA for you!!

Happy Birthday to you!!

Peace and Happiness be sprinkled all over on you!!!

~Deb

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 11:47 AM

painted one of the rockers that my son and I put together three years ago...

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 11:17 AM
Edited by lighthouselover on Tue 07/21/09 11:54 AM

Any real example's we could work with?

If we have real examples with real decisions being made, we could much easier discuss the distinction from knowledge and wisdom.

I tend to find common sense, is not so common.

I will share a true experience with you...

several years ago, I dated a man who was brilliant. He completed medical school in about half the time, he was Boarded in Internal Medicine, Adult Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Neurobiology....

He had a photographic memory. He could read morris code at about 30 words per minute...He had so much knowledge...yet, no wisdom.

I always felt that he had some form of autism, really. He had no wisdom to go outside what he had learned...he was very black/white type of thinker...

We would be out to dinner or somewhere and he would be talking about things without really being 'connected' to them...it was like they were words from a book he had read.

He was able to put symptoms together to form a diagnosis, but the rest of the person was not part of that picture.

He had so much knowledge...yet, he was not a successful physician. He really lacked the social wisdom, the empathetic wisdom, the wisdom to relate to others...

He could memorize the phone book...

this does not really fall under the topic at hand though...

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 10:25 AM

more on wisdom from Aristotle....

Let it be assumed that the states by virtue of which the soul possesses truth by way of affirmation or denial are five in number, i.e. art, scientific knowledge, practical wisdom, philosophic wisdom, intuitive reason; we do not include judgement and opinion because in these we may be mistaken.

Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, Book VI, 3

Now it is thought to be the mark of a man of practical wisdom to be able to deliberate well about what is good and expedient for himself, not in some particular respect, e.g. about what sorts of thing conduce to health or to strength, but about what sorts of thing conduce to the good life in general. This is shown by the fact that we credit men with practical wisdom in some particular respect when they have calculated well with a view to some good end which is one of those that are not the object of any art. It follows that in the general sense also the man who is capable of deliberating has practical wisdom.

Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, Book VI, 5

Wisdom must plainly be the most finished of the forms of knowledge. It follows that the wise man must not only know what follows from the first principles, but must also possess truth about the first principles. Therefore wisdom must be intuitive reason combined with scientific knowledge-scientific knowledge of the highest objects which has received as it were its proper completion.

Of the highest objects, we say; for it would be strange to think that the art of politics, or practical wisdom, is the best knowledge, since man is not the best thing in the world. Now if what is healthy or good is different for men and for fishes, but what is white or straight is always the same, any one would say that what is wise is the same but what is practically wise is different; for it is to that which observes well the various matters concerning itself that one ascribes practical wisdom, and it is to this that one will entrust such matters. This is why we say that some even of the lower animals have practical wisdom, viz. those which are found to have a power of foresight with regard to their own life. It is evident also that philosophic wisdom and the art of politics cannot be the same; for if the state of mind concerned with a man's own interests is to be called philosophic wisdom, there will be many philosophic wisdoms; there will not be one concerned with the good of all animals (any more than there is one art of medicine for all existing things), but a different philosophic wisdom about the good of each species.

Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, Book VI, 7

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 10:23 AM
Edited by lighthouselover on Tue 07/21/09 10:29 AM

It has been my experience that realists appear or be said to have "knowledge" and idealists will appear or be said to have "wisdom."

So does anyone have a good comparison of wisdom and knowledge?

To me, most of the time, knowledge seems to be loaded with facts and figures, and wisdom is more intuitive, arising from inner knowing.

I have heard/read several times this definition of wisdom and knowledge..

"Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as the knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom."

(C. H. Spurgeon)

I have also read somewhere that "wisdom is what you have when you know that you do not know everything..."

In an ethics class I took, we also talked about the wisdom to know when, even IF we have the knowledge, it is best NOT to use that knowledge..

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 09:51 AM

Realists have their purpose.
They are the grounding faction of this reality. They draw our attention to what is 'out there' and they convince people that this is reality. And it is. It is our reality. They keep us grounded and inside of our magnificent manifestation. They are vital for preserving the integrity of a virtual world build with thoughts and vibrations, light and sound. They make us believe and it is that belief that preserves its integrity.

Idealist have their purpose.
They have the vision and the wings to soar above and beyond this reality and see it from a different perspective, one where they realize that all things arise from consciousness and the mind. They empower us to seek our highest potential and help us realize our own power to create a world that we desire.

I should have just let JB write it out!!! flowerforyou

You said it much better than I...

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/21/09 09:49 AM

What would they NOT see

That is an invasive question indeed. Would "they" know if they did not see?
That reminds me of a question that Jean Luke Picard asked Mr. Data. (was watching that episode last night while cooking dinner)

If someone tampered with your mind without leaving a trace would you know?

Mr. Data answered by saying that he could not answer that question . . . of course!

Depending on the nature of the Idealism the world would be what ever the universal mind finds ideal. That would mean that malaria is ideal, that death is ideal, that suffering is ideal, that all of the facets good and bad from our perspectives is really ideal from the perspective of the universal mind of which we are like the bacteria in our stomachs to this ideal universal mind.

Is it that this world is ideal based on another perspective?

I myself struggle to understand a purist idealism as well.

I just cannot accept in my mind that pain, illness, violence, suffering...that any of this is ideal...I think that people have been "socialized" into accepting the status quo...not the ideal. I honestly believe that we are encouraged to stay far away from the Idealism perspective...

when I think of a purist of Idealism...I get a vision of a "monk" type of person who is constantly in a sub-conscious state of zen...

I see the Idealist more of a very peaceful, very centered, very isolated person...who is aware of more than most...

perhaps the Idealist is a goal. to achieve this philosophical "Maslow" hierarchy...and Idealism is the very "highest" level...the motivation...the light.

1 2 7 8 9 11 13 14 15 24 25