Community > Posts By > lighthouselover

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 05:24 PM

they do have some great music though...it would be a blast!!

we have local bands playing down at Lower Harbor all day...and fireworks at night...and a Taste of Marquette....

kind of a quiet 4th this year...:wink:

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 05:22 PM

and that is why I only use certain brands of products...:smile:

only organic herbal mixtures..

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 05:19 PM

'Twas a joke.

J-O-A-K, joke.

oh....I thought you probably knew that already...*giggles*...

blushing

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 05:15 PM

Twin Cities!!!

Hatley and Bevent? huh

my apologies...that is the common name for Minneapolis and St. Paul in MN...

I grew up in MN and that is what we always called the area...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 05:13 PM

I don't ask, no. I do listen for warning phrases ("I only hit her those three times; she made more money than me, the money-hungry bioch; she had this disgusting little dog that mysteriously disappeared one day").

Oh Sunny!! I just got a mental image of hearing these phrases...

and that lil bell that goes...DING DING DING in my head!!!

laugh laugh laugh

"I need someone that understands and completes me, and he/she just couldn't get that! "

"I like to spend 24/7 with the person I love"

DING DING DING!!!!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 05:09 PM
http://minneapolis.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=minneapolis&cdn=citiestowns&tm=822&f=00&su=p554.12.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.tasteofmn.com/

I would go to "Taste of Minnesota"!!

Bret Michaels is performing on July 5th with the Rock of Love Bus Tour!

Elvis Costello is also performing on July 4th!!

The Romantics, Whitesnake, Judas Priest, and many others!!

Great music, Great food, Fireworks every night at 10PM!!

Wow!! great time and this is only ONE of the many activities that is going on in the Twin Cities!!!

YEEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWWW!!!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 05:03 PM

When you're talking to or meeting someone for the first time...do you ask them what went wrong with their past relationships? Do you really expect them to say "I was a jerk...it's all my fault...!" What do you say when they ask you that inevitable question? Just wonderin'...

wow...that would seem to be pretty serious and heavy conversation for the first meeting or the first conversation...

I guess I would want to talk about other things during the first conversation...whether on the phone or in person...

could be just me...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 04:51 PM
http://minneapolis.about.com/od/eventsfestivals/a/independenceday.htm

there is a ton of stuff to do in your area!!!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 04:48 PM

My favorite device is my Sony Psyc Mini-Disc player. I love that thing!:tongue:

my son had one of those....do you make your own disc's?

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 04:46 PM

I use a walkgramophone..

those are not legal in the US~ happy

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 04:42 PM

W.I. Thomas: "Definition of the Situation"
"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences."

I worked with people who were severely and persistently mentally ill...they had their own reality...they heard it, they saw it, they lived it...

was it "real"? not to anothers perception...

is reality not just a perception that has been agreed on by the masses? whether or not it is what it is?

reality or real...to the person who perceives what ever it is, the consequences are real to them as well...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 04:06 PM

I had an 8-track...and a turn table...

I am going to get the turn table again...I still have quite a few vinyl records...

I was just surprised that it had been 30 years since the walkman!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 04:03 PM

MORE COWBELL!!!!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 04:02 PM

he got 78 chances with a suspended license!!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 04:01 PM

MORE COWBELL!!!!!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 03:57 PM

WOW! I heard this one the news tonight..

The original Sony Walkman, the first personal stereo tape deck, which made its debut in 1979.

Attention, the 160 million or so owners of an Apple iPod MP3 player: take out those white earbuds and listen for a second. Before the iPod became ubiquitous — way, way before — there was the Walkman. The portable cassette players, first introduced 30 years ago this week, sold a cumulative 200 million units, rocked the recording industry and fundamentally changed how people experienced music. Sound familiar?

The Walkman wasn't a giant leap forward in engineering: magnetic cassette technology had been around since 1963, when the Netherlands-based electronics firm Philips first created it for use by secretaries and journalists. Sony, who by that point had become experts in bringing well-designed, miniaturized electronics to market (they debuted their first transistor radio in 1955), made a series of moderately successful portable cassette recorders. But the introduction of pre-recorded music tapes in the late 1960s opened a whole new market. People still chose to listen to vinyl records over cassettes at home, but the compact size of tapes made them more conducive to car stereos and mobility than vinyl or 8-tracks. On July 1, 1979, Sony Corp. introduced the Sony Walkman TPS-L2, a 14 ounce, blue-and-silver, portable cassette player with chunky buttons, headphones and a leather case.

It even had a second earphone jack so that two people could listen in at once. Masaru Ibuka, Sony's co-founder, traveled often for business and would find himself lugging Sony's bulky TC-D5 cassette recorder around to listen to music. He asked Norio Ohga, then Executive Deputy President, to design a playback-only stereo version, optimized for use with headphones. Ibuka brought the result — a compact, high-quality music player — to Chairman Akio Morita and reportedly said, "Try this. Don't you think a stereo cassette player that you can listen to while walking around is a good idea?"

All the device needed now was a name. Originally the Walkman was introduced in the U.S. as the "Sound-About" and in the UK as the "Stowaway," but coming up with new, uncopyrighted names in every country it was marketed in proved costly; Sony eventually decided on "Walkman" as a play on the Sony Pressman, a mono cassette recorder the first Walkman prototype was based on. First released in Japan, it was a massive hit: while Sony predicted it would only sell about 5,000 units a month, the Walkman sold upwards of 50,000 in the first two months. Sony wasn't the first company to introduce portable audio: the first-ever portable transistor radio, the index card-sized Regency TR-1, debuted in 1954. But the Walkman's unprecedented combination of portability (it ran on two AA batteries) and privacy (it featured a headphone jack but no external speaker) made it the ideal product for thousands of consumers looking for a compact portable stereo that they could take with them anywhere. The TPS-L2 was introduced in the U.S. in June 1980.

The 1980s could well have been the Walkman decade. The popularity of Sony's device — and those by brands like Aiwa, Panasonic and Toshiba who followed in Sony's lead — helped the cassette tape outsell vinyl records for the first time in 1983. By 1986 the word "Walkman" had entered the Oxford English Dictionary. Its launch coincided with the birth of the aerobics craze, and millions used the Walkman to make their workouts more entertaining. Between 1987 and 1997 — the height of the Walkman's popularity — the number of people who said they walked for exercise increased by 30%.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1907884,00.html

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 02:01 PM
Sorry to get ur thread off course. flowerforyou

not a problem at all!! your input was relevant to the topic, IMO. It raises all sorts of questions about the pets that are around children...and the safety measures that the parents take or don't!!

i'm wondering why they would keep the snake in a room where it COULD get out. i fully trusted my ryoko, but that didn't mean that she was going to be able to sneak up on my babies. C-clamps on the cage and a dead-bolt on her bedroom door.

that is what I mean...you cannot have your child in the car anymore unless you have them in the appropriate car seat...in the appropriate place in the car...

it said the snake broke out of the aquarium...I wonder how loud the noise was when it did?

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 01:49 PM

I am not sure about the good owner/good pit bull thing...

I had a friend who had a pit bull, raised with love and in a very non-violent environment. One day..WHAM!! it attacked their young child who was in his bed taking a nap...

nothing provoked the dog...it just went tearing into the bedroom and jumped on the child. the child got some facial lacerations, and thank God that the parents were home and intervened in the attack...

animals are animals...

That can happen with purty much any breed of dog. Had a friend who's Doberman turned on their 5yr old. The dog an child had been raised together from day one. The only reason pits have the rep they do is thanks to the new media an drug dealers.shades

yes, Redd...that is what I mean...a good owner does not mean that any dog, including a Pit bull is going to always behave.

so, the good owner/good dog thing is not always true...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 01:45 PM

In all seriousness, What purpose does havin a snake as a pet fit? They can't wag their tail an greet ya at the door when u come home from a hard day's work. They can't rub up against ur leg showin ya luv. Leave em in the wild where they belong an admire them from afar. shades

I agree, then I do not like snakes anyway...

The thing is, if people want to have a snake like this as a pet, and around children, then I would hope that they would take extra precautions to protect their young children.

I guess I feel that is the responsibility of the parent regardless of the pet.

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 01:43 PM

I am not sure about the good owner/good pit bull thing...

I had a friend who had a pit bull, raised with love and in a very non-violent environment. One day..WHAM!! it attacked their young child who was in his bed taking a nap...

nothing provoked the dog...it just went tearing into the bedroom and jumped on the child. the child got some facial lacerations, and thank God that the parents were home and intervened in the attack...

animals are animals...