Community > Posts By > lighthouselover

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 10:22 PM

people just love to make it about blame right away...

we all have a part in everything that happens to us, and whether we like it or not, it is not about the blame...it is about the lessons we learn from the mistakes we make...

I have always understood that "lesson" about being the common denominator as we are the only ones we have control over...we are the only ones that we can change...

so, even though we don't have responsibility for another persons' "flaw" there was something that we may have missed...something that we might have changed...

we can only look within ourselves...and sometimes there is nothing we recognize as a lesson..so we change nothing...

I could be wrong...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 10:15 PM

The Sound of Music

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 10:08 PM

somewhere over the rainbow

which version??
Judy, Clapton, or IZ ????

One of my favorites is Eva Cassidy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwTdqPkluY

and another one is Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZFkXQKCuBc

I also love the original and clapton's version...

I am not sure who IZ is...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 09:41 PM

somewhere over the rainbow

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 09:26 PM
Edited by lighthouselover on Wed 07/15/09 09:40 PM

His later book A New Earth further explores the structure of the human ego and how this acts to distract people from their present experience of the world. He asserts that it is the feeding of the human ego that is the source of inner and outer conflict, and that only by examining the ego may people begin to see beyond it and obtain a sense of spiritual enlightening or a new outlook on reality.

Oh yeh sure, blame it on the ego. That's not it.

The source of inner and outer conflict is resistance to what is. (It is not the 'human ego.")

Then he says that only by "examining the ego" may people begin to see beyond it? How does one see beyond something they are examining?

If I examine a building, I am looking at the building...not "beyond it."

I'm glad Eckart Tolle has found his peace. Now what is he going to do?

That is exactly what he is talking about...You see the building period.

It is obvious that you do not like Tolle's work. We have a different idea about the meaning of his work. I like it, it offers a reminder of the massive amount of influence that we have internalized over the years...

he talks about how people have taken on the "roles" that have pre-established functions...a way that people really lose the desire to think about many things...and how we internalize these functions as part of self, which is the ego.

I guess that is what is so great about people...so many different perspectives about the same thing!!!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 09:20 PM

I have that book and while it is nice to appreciate the power of now, I have to joke about Eckar Tolle being trapped in one frame of time. I get the jist of NOW, but the book did not change my life. I have to confess, I did not even get through it.

You cannot act in the past, and you cannot act in the future. Now is the only time you have. So Eckart Tolle realizes this and writes an entire book on it.

Is an entire book necessary? I don't think so. It reminds me of the days of the flower children... Live in the present moment... no worries... no responsibility blah blah blah. Get high pot and just sit there and stare into space enjoying the moment. Just be.

While worrying about the future is a needless thing to do, we must also proceed. By proceed, I mean we must grow and do. We learn from the past, and we plan and envision our future.

We don't just sit like bumps on logs in a state of bliss and peace doing nothing. What's the point of that?

that is not at all how I read it. I agree with your words about not sitting like a bump on a log, as well as taking lessons from the past and making plans for the future.

I think that many people live in a different world that the concept that Tolle was putting forth was foreign. The 24/7 people who are not appreciative of today, those who live with regret for not being there, not being present in their own life over the years...

There are also the people who live in the past...the people who live in the blame, the victim roles...

the concept of Now to those people may be quite foreign.

Living in the now is far from doing nothing, quite the contrary really...I see it as doing everything, experiencing everything you can today, making the most of it, yet EXPERIENCING it not just going through the motions...

I have enjoyed all of his work...it may be more tangential for some, for others it offers a new way to think...a new way to experience life.

One of the areas he speaks of is people being imprisoned within the confines of their own thoughts. They do not go outside of what they have been conditioned by their past.

Maybe it is not philosophy at all...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 09:05 PM

One of my favorite authors/teachers/mentors. My favorite piece of his is his book "stillness speaks".

this is more of a spiritual philosophy...I do not want to just give my impression of how I interpret his work, so I will post a few paragraphs out of his book "stillness speaks"...

stillness is your essential nature. What is stillness? The inner space or awareness in which the words on this page are being perceived and become thoughts. Without that awareness, there would be no perception, no thoughts, no world.

You are that awareness, disguised as a person.

The equivalent of external noise is the inner noise of thinking. The equivalent of external silence is inner stillness.

Whenever there is some silence around you, listen to it. That means just notice it. Pay attention to it. Listening to silence awakens the dimension of stillness with yourself, because it is only through stillness that you can be aware of silence.

See that in the moment of noticing the silence around you, you are not thinking. You are aware, but not thinking.

When you become aware of silence, immediately there is that state of inner still alertness. You are present. You have stepped out of thousands of years of collective human conditioning.

pay attention to the gap....the gap between two thoughts, the brief, silent space between words in a conversation...

True intelligence operates silently. Stillness is where creativity and solutions to problems are found.

so, this is where I gain my understanding...this is a way to process thoughts...

perhaps not "true" philosophy...yet, it encourages to be present in the discussion, present in the thought process that is flowing...

Where would you, the reader, place this work?

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 08:05 PM

It is a very sad situation that people are dying everyday from over doses of prescription medications...

and the crime associated with these drugs is horrific!!

It is amazing how good something can be, yet so horrible in other ways!!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 07:09 PM

I meet the most amazing guy ever he is sweet,funny, good looking the problem isnt him its me.im having a hard time trusting anyone not just him my family, friends, even myself so how can i have a relationship when i cant even trust myself to make the right decision? Any advice? Cause i want this to work out

why not talk with him about this?

Write out a list of things you do not trust about yourself, then write down one thing that you can do to make a change about each one.

And what are the wrong decisions you are making? I make wrong choices everyday...I learn from them and keep going...

IF you want this relationship to work out, then you need to really find out what it is that you do not trust about you first. This is NOT about blame...it is about learning and changing....

Good Luck!!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 06:56 PM

No drug heads for me!!

so does that mean that u ur self doesnt take any kind of drug. cuz most of ur prescribed drugs are a derivitive of cocane, or opeam. wich is commonly known as heriwen.

so in all actualality most poeple out ther are majorly addicted to real drugs.

come on...you know that is so not true...

MOST people???

and MOST of the prescribed drugs are NOT any derivative of any type of narcotic...

and many of the pain medication that is prescribed is a synthetic form of drug...

and thebaine is the drug that is derived from opium, not heroin...

Medical use of pot is much different than just casual use...or excess use...

sorry, your post make some pretty hefty generalizations...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 06:45 PM

How many of you have run into members of the opposite sex at online dating sites that ask: "So what are you looking for?".

I mean can't we just chat, meet, chat some more and figure that out when we get to it? Do we have to lay the ground rules before we even talk on the phone? Are people nowadays so afraid of relationships that they have to find out where they stand BEFORE they get out from behind the computer and talk to each other face to face?

you mean just like it is when you meet someone without the computer as a medium?

I personally think that people should meet face to face fairly quickly...talking with someone face to face is much different than in text...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 06:40 PM

My first piece of advice is to stop feeling sorry for yourself. Ive been there. However, you need to pull yourself out of it. And trust me, no one will love you unless you love yourself first.

ive never once liked myself. ive always hated my body and my face and everything to do with me. but im gonna start liking myself and seeing myself more of a positive way :)

That just sounded way to easy to say...

What are you going to do to start liking yourself?

I also reccomend that you get in touch with a mentor...

Do you have friends? Do you talk with your brother?

Saying something is one thing...taking action is another.

Your lifetime is today.

What are you going to do today to be good to you?

How are you going to start treating yourself better?

It is your choice how you feel about yourself...no matter what anyone says to you, helps you with, or teaches you...

It is your choice to internalize the positive or not...

You are the person responsible for your happiness each and everyday.

Get involved in your community to help people less fortunate...do a random act of kindness each and every day...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 05:09 PM

A sign that I gave out to every one of my clients and one that is still on my bathroom mirror...

"You are looking at the face of the person responsible for your happiness today."

I believe that others can enhance your happiness and share your happiness, but a person is accountable for their own happiness.

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 05:03 PM
Edited by lighthouselover on Wed 07/15/09 05:12 PM

If you said that I do not like dogs, without having access to personal knowledge of me, then that would be groundless, and THAT is the kind of thing that goes on all the time and IS DISGRACEFUL.

This straw man just gets beat on over and over and over again.

This thread is a ****ing disgrace.

I think people should try to understand before going to so much trouble to feel offended.

If I cared enough to go back I could quote these personal ad hominum attacks on creative, there are pages of them in this forum.

Groundless?

So you're saying that in your 20+ page thread you were not able to convey your idea?

I am saying that in 20+ pages you had not yet understood...

You can ground your own claim, not mine. Your claim of mine is groundless. Your claim of mine is grounded by your own belief. Your belief of my claim is grounded by your belief. You cannot ground my belief with your claim of what it is.

So again if I claim that I smell funny today that is grounded becuase I certainly can tell if that is so . . . . If you said I smell funny today and had no chance to smell me, that would be groundless.

Just as if you told me what I meant when I posted something. Just as when someone takes a post and then makes a sweeping character conclusion about you based on that post.

No instead of people taking the time to understand creative they all just jump on the hurt feelings band wagon and go crazy ranting about nothing is groundless which independent of context SURE, but what is ever independent of context in a conversation?

Then why would we even have the word groundless huh???? If nothing could be groundless regardless of context then how is that word is ever applicable? It most certainly has applications . . . the law certainly thinks so and just try to make any ole claim in a court of law . . .

Honestly anyone who cannot come up with a groundless statement given a specific context is not someone worth the time to talk with becuase they belong in the zoo.

Honestly I do not believe ANYONE in this thread really believes that, nor would be stumped if asked on the condition of loosing there life to come up with one . . .

This thread ought to end right here unless its filled here after with apologetic responses from people who have misunderstood creative.

there are a few statements that do seem just a tad rude and insulting to the people who posted in this thread...I personally do not think that was necessary to say like that...that is of course, JMO...

I don't really know anyone around these threads, so I do not know the history that many seem to have...

I have been seeking to understand this topic and the one prior to it since this started...

and each time I think I understand it, I am again confused...

I am out of here...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 04:48 PM
If you said that I do not like dogs, without having access to personal knowledge of me, then that would be groundless, and THAT is the kind of thing that goes on all the time and IS DISGRACEFUL.

and this is a philosophical discussion of ???... That example is not in the context of a discussion about philosophy, IMO.

and your other examples:

you are 7 feet tall...
you smell funny...

none of those things are a philosophical discussion...nor the topic of one.

I thought I understood this thread and the other thread about this, was clearly about the desire of someone who wanted people to "ground" their philosophical ideas with some sort of tangible proof...something to back them up...

YES THOUGHTS CAN BE GROUNDLESS. Independent of any context NO they are all grounded in at the very least your imagination, but when applied to things THEY CAN BE GROUNDLESS.

and this...it sounds like a contradiction to what you just said...

to my very elementary understanding at least.

I must be tired...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 02:56 PM
Edited by lighthouselover on Wed 07/15/09 02:57 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Pain-Killer-Wonder-Drugs-Addiction/dp/1579546382

Here is a very interesting and factual book about Oxycontin...it describes in detail the origin of the drug, the company that made the drug, the way the drug was approved by the FDA and how it got to be so abused by so many people...

This book really is a fantastic read...

the post is kind of on topic...sorry, I just know that so many prescription pain killers are in the streets...and the government really was the one who approved Oxycontin with the labels it had on it...

They actually said that it was a drug that had less chance of abuse than other narcotics on the market..and it was approved for moderate pain...

Any drug can be abused...but this was just thrown out in the community as a safer form of opiate...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 02:47 PM

I do not think that obsession is always a negative at all...

it would depend I suppose on the obsession...and it would depend even more so about the compulsions concerning the obsession!!

and then...what if you are really passionate about the obsession and you are compulsive too!!

I am not sure that they are always inclusive of each other...I know that you can be obsessive with something and not compulsive about it, I would also venture to say that you do not have to be passionate about the obsession...which would depend on the definition I suppose...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 01:55 PM

wow...just reading that word gives me emotion!!

I have always said that my strength and my weakness are one and the same...Passion...I am passionate about a few things, and I believe that is both my friend and my enemy at times. When I believe is something, when I love something/someone, when I love doing something...I am passionate about it...

it seems that my passion with things can draw people to me, or in some cases, it will push them away...

I have believed that one of the best gifts of life is to be able to love what you do, and do what you love!

I dedicate most of my hours doing things that I am passionate about...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 09:31 AM

The younger generation is frigging spoiled.

Dad is home now. Doc said it was worse then thought and may not do enough. Still has the other shoulder to do yet. May force him to retire early. Sigh.

I am sorry to hear of your fathers issues, and yes, he did and does work very hard. Physical labor is hard work, and dairy farming is a 24/7 operation!!

The younger generation live in a very different world today then even 20 years ago...not all of them are spoiled...and that is what my parents, aunts and uncles...etc. said about my generation...

things change, the need to do some of the brute force physical labor has been changed, some things are much easier than they used to be.

Years ago, we had to physically LIFT a patient in the bed...now, there are lifts that assist nursing staff so they do not have to take that physical strain on their bodies...are they spoiled? no, they are not...

I know that your friend could have been a bit more sensitive at the time with his off handed comment, but really...many people will not ever understand what it was like to work a family farm...or to actually dig a ditch...

that does not make them spoiled...

again, I am very sorry to hear of your fathers health issues. He really does deserve a rest!!

Take care~

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 09:03 AM

Im after dorothy's red shoes, now where could they be now???

Has anyone seen dorothy's red shoes??

these are MY RUBY slippers and you will never get them from me!!

My best friend is the Good Witch...and those damn flying monkeys have no power here!!

I live in "somewhere over the rainbow"!!

I have the broom from the wicked witch in my office! And the wand from the Good Witch too!!

now stand back or I will throw water on you too!!

1 2 13 14 15 17 19 20 21 24 25