Wed 07/15/09 08:58 AM

a precious gift!!

Blessings to you and your family!!

~Deb

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 08:57 AM

this is how out of touch I am...

I have no idea who Rodney Akins is...

congrats on your concert!! they are fun for sure!!

I am going to alpine Valley to see Jimmy Buffet at the end of August!! A birthday gift from my daughter!!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 08:52 AM
Edited by lighthouselover on Wed 07/15/09 08:52 AM

If they call within the next ten minutes, are you going to double the offer?

is there free shipping and handling?

YES BUT ONLY IN MICHIGAN...........

ok. Well I am going to go into town today to run some errands, so as long as I am there, I will keep my eyes open for you...

now, these are Yooper women so you know you are getting the best of MI women, right?

just want to make sure you can handle a woman from above the bridge...:wink:

do you have any special criteria that I should look for?

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 08:46 AM

If they call within the next ten minutes, are you going to double the offer?

is there free shipping and handling?

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 08:41 AM

that is terribly funny!!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 07:39 AM

M I C...see ya real soon...

K E Y (Why? Because we love you!)

M O U S EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 07:24 AM

They always disqualify me since I'm an opinionated sort. They're looking for "impartial." I give them my exact thoughts on every question asked. bigsmile

You know, I have always done that as well. This last time, I still got chosen!!

I was surprised!!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/15/09 07:22 AM

I just finished up with jury duty for the District court for the month of June!!

Good Luck. Hope that all the cases settle prior to going to trial!! then you don't have to sit on the jury!!

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/14/09 07:57 PM
Edited by lighthouselover on Tue 07/14/09 08:04 PM

If a tree falls...does it kill the bird even if one is not around?

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/14/09 07:53 PM

well, I heard that it is kind of a combination of the Bird Flu and the Swine Flu....so, I wonder...

Does this mean that pigs fly??

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/14/09 07:50 PM

There's a story on my CNN home page tonight that 67 Air Force Academy cadets have it.

one of the lawyers at the firm that my daughter works at has a son at the academy...

He talked to his son the other day , and his son said that about 10% of the cadets have come down with it...so, from what I remember when my brother was there, that would be about 120-140 kids...

There is/was also a rule at the academy that if you miss 8 days of training for any reason, you are sent home and have to start over the following year...

I wonder how they are going to handle that issue with so many being sick...

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/14/09 07:45 PM

does your helmet have the sticker on it that says not to remove it until you have been examined by medical??

There are tons of bikes up here now...

ride safe...glasses

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/14/09 07:39 PM

And who said harleys are slow? Hmmmmm. Not if you put money into da motors. And a baker XL6. Notched crank compliments of winona harley davidson and S&S. Ported and polished top end compliments of st paul harley davidson buell.

you should get to Sturgis in no time at that speed!!

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/14/09 07:31 PM

<----wanted to do this? Drive by one of those radar guns on a trailer and see how fast you can make it register. Wasn't me. You can't prove it. I have no idea what you're talking about. I know nothing.

they are taking pictures of both your face and you license plate now...bastiches!!

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/14/09 06:41 PM

That you are single?

Because I figured out what mattered to me -- what I wanted in a relationship, and, maybe more importantly, what I didn't want.

I developed some selectivity, which is something I would have been better off developing a lot earlier, to be honest. I learned, for a lot of bad experiences, but I learned slowly.

Also -- distance (as it applies to people on dating sites) and the fact that the "normal" methods I used for meeting people in real life are no longer available to me.

What are the "normal" methods now in this decade?

I know so many people who met on line and are dating, and a bunch who are married too...not sure this is not part of the new normal now...

but I bet this is supposed to be one of those "just for the fun of it threads" and I have posted serious again...sad2

frustrated

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/14/09 06:37 PM

And say, the "survival of the fittest" and "natural selection" and "mutation"

I am not even positive that the "natural selection" exists anymore..at least in a good part of the human race...

with all the medications and pesticides and pollution and excess...

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/14/09 05:59 PM
So evolution by natural selection is no longer in force. We are actually driving evolution now by the decisions we make. Even if our decisions aren't based on what we might evolve into. We are still driving our own evolution by our very control over natural processes such as keeping people alive who would have naturally died, etc.

Everytime we cure a disease or create a vaccine we interrupt the process of evolution by 'natural selection'.

We are many times driving evolution by the decisions of those other than our self and our own decisions...this is where ethics would come into play or perhaps power...who has the most power gets to make the most decisions?

Technically, there is an ability to keep the body of a human alive for quite some time via artificial means...I am sure it can be done with other species as well...

cloning? stem cells? who decides?

should this decision process start to do this with the "brightest" and the "strongest"...would the weaker and less capable become fewer and fewer over time...

who decides who gets the pills that make someone better...or who does NOT get those pills....

it also reminds me of Zager and Evans...drinker

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/14/09 05:44 PM

Oh, and burning magnesium does not react well with water. So when the fire department showed up and hit it with water which is half oxygen- H2O- um, uh, it absorbs it and explodes. And it explodes well! I was pretty proud of that A I got. Never got bullied again by the older kids. They thought I was cool as I was arrested and led off in handcuffs. The science teacher bailed me out by explaining that he made our science project too vague and open for this situation to happen and accepted blame for the incident. I was not charged, released, parents called, meetings with the dean and principal, and superintendent. Actions levied regarding my intellegence and overactive mind. My 6 weeks detention was not in the detention room but in the deans office directly where the dean who portrayed himself as a bada$$, and carried a baseball bat, and growled a lot could keep an eye on ralph and I. Ralph got 6 weeks detention because his english teacher gave the class a project on descriptive writing on an object. Basically 8th grade show and tell. You hold up an object and overtly explain everything about the object and its history. This also was vague and way too open for mischief and poor decision making. Ralph brought in for his english project and descriptive lecture his grandfathers colt .45 wild west style revolver handgun. Unloaded of course. He gave a great historical summary, complete history, and just stunning lecture to a class and teacher who basically crapped their pants. He got an A also and 6 weeks detention with the guy who blew up the science lab- me. The guy who gave a descriptive writing and demonstration lecture on a used condom got lots of laughs and a week detention with us. We gave him a hard time for being a lightweight and a poosie for not giving the lecture with the used condom still attatched to his appendage. Ralph looked at me in detention and said "Kyle, these teachers have no sense of humor"! I looked at ralph and said "Yeah, tell me about it". Dean iverson looked up and said "NO TALKING IN MY DETENTION! DON'T MAKE ME EXPELL YOU TWO"!!! I looked at ralph and whispered "That fata$$ can't even spell detention". "NO LAUGHING IN MY DETENTION"!!!

nice one Kyle sounds like you had alot of fun at school :laughing:

THAT was a great story!! Thank you!!

and now...what about after kindergarten? Did everyone still behave?

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/14/09 05:41 PM

In fact, a previous example I gave in this thread deserves repeating here.

At one time Aristotle believed (entirely intuitively) that all objects come to rest naturally. This was his philosophical subjective idea based on what he believed to be his experience.

Later, Isaac Newton proposed that objects tend to retain whatever motion they have unless acted on by a force. (that may even have still been a subjective philosophical guess at that time).

As time passed we saw that this could actually be tested and once it was tested and thus we actually had 'grounds' to believe it other than just because people were intuitively guessing, it was MOVED from philosophy over to physics.

In short, all philosophical ideas are just intuitive hunches until they can be proven. Once proven, they become science, and then they are no longer philosophy.

It's no wonder philosophy appears to have no success!

Everytime it succeeds the success story moves over to science. laugh

flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou

it is not the destination, my friend, it is indeed...the journey!!

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 07/14/09 05:08 PM

could this be as simple as subjective vs. objective?

something that is objective can be measured the same way by everyone, and subjective cannot, it can only be measured by the person's own perception...(this is my own definition in my mind anyway)

example:

Pain is a subjective sensation. The only person that can "measure" the pain is the person experiencing the pain. The medical community has "objectified" the subjective experience however. The Pain Scale was invented...and now, the pain can be subjectively objectified!!

I worked as a professional in the field of Psychiatry and Addiction Nursing. So much of what I did was subjective based on what the person told me they were thinking, what they were thinking about, how clearly they were thinking, how connected to "rationale" thought they were, what their thought process was...

yet, I had no bells or whistles to tell me IF I was doing something right, or IF the patient had improved...it was based almost entirely on perception...

when I was early in my profession, I worked all over the hospital..and believe me, there are ways to measure almost everything a patient does...there were ways to get objective measures on almost everything without much input from the patient...EXCEPT a few things, like their level of pain for instance...

so, for me...I think that it is perception...and philosophy is tied closely to the enlightenment of one's self concept and how a person views themselves in that concept...

The Looking Glass Self theory was one I always liked from Sociology, but I digress...