Community > Posts By > lighthouselover

lighthouselover's photo
Sun 07/05/09 07:32 PM
Edited by lighthouselover on Sun 07/05/09 07:33 PM

Of course MJ meant more to some than others, that doesn't make it wrong. Everyone sees the world differently and it applies to those that influence them.

It seems to me, we get attached to the celebrities, because their art happens to be attached to our emotional state of being at one time or another... For instance:

MJ had many great soulfull songs. But one, in particular, nested deep inside my heart -- again, because of my emotional state at that particular time -- its called
"I just can't stop loving you".
My boyfriend, at that time, made a multiple recording of that song -- making it last for 25 minutes!

Now, imagine making love to that song -- YOU CANNOT FORGET THAT!!!

25 minutes? that could be forgettable...really, it could...

now, take about 60-90 minutes...THAT could be unforgettable....

25 min? ohwell meh...

lighthouselover's photo
Sun 07/05/09 04:04 PM
color=darkred]

are you serious?

wow...was it over the 4th or is it next weekend?

I know people in Madtown, WI!!!

lighthouselover's photo
Sun 07/05/09 03:55 PM
Edited by lighthouselover on Sun 07/05/09 03:55 PM

WHY?

WHY is it happening?

WHY? What's the buzz?

WHY?

because every man and every woman every time will never always know!

lighthouselover's photo
Sun 07/05/09 03:18 PM
Edited by lighthouselover on Sun 07/05/09 03:18 PM

Maybe acid flashbacks?rofl

DUH!!!! WHY did I not think of that?????

oh wait...cause I never did acid!!! :wink:

{{{{{DEB}}}}}..flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou

ROSE!!!!! HUGGLES!! HUGGLES!! HUGGLES!!!

lighthouselover's photo
Sun 07/05/09 03:11 PM
Edited by lighthouselover on Sun 07/05/09 03:11 PM

Never mind... it just goes in a circle I guess... lol

That was not the point of my post. It's not about MJ. It's about the silliness given to a celebrity death over the death of someone else.

silliness? interesting. so, the point of your post is about what you have labeled as silliness. alright. I am being a bit facetious here...sorry. I understand what you are saying

Where was the TRIBUTE to the doctors who made breakthroughs in medicine when they passed? I am sure what they did was much more important than entertainment.

Or the scientists that helped man reach the moon and other extraordinary discoveries? Isn't that a global occurrence that everyone benefited from?

there have been many tributes to many scientists, doctors, nurses, teachers, saints, popes, religious leaders, presidents, etc. I watch them all the time on TV...I read about them in books and on the internet...

honestly, people have a stronger reaction when something is emotional to them. you know that. people are tied to certain things that bring back memories...and that person/celebrity was part of that...they might equate that to a kind of 'death' of part of their own childhood...

really, it doesn't bother me...it is an interesting sociological study in human behavior. the reasons will be endless and as varied as the people who would answer the survey, no?

I am not knocking your feelings for celebrities. Fans are fans; no one should try to take that away from them. I just can't see crying and getting so worked up for someone I never knew. I liked his music, I like Billy Mays even! Ed McMahon made me laugh, and Farrah introduced me to boyhood fantasy. I was a big John Wayne fan, Stevie Rae Vaughn fan, Vincent Price fan, even liked Elvis and John Lennon. But my world did not collapse and stop when they died.

When I heard the news they passed, I paused, reflected a little, said a silent prayer, and went on with my day. I can't see crying, leaving work, taking a day off from work, and just wanting to be left alone because someone who I never met and who was not concerned about me, a celebrity, passed away.

how many people did have their world end when one of these people died? how many people took the day off? how many people just did the same thing you did?

What is the right way to handle the death of someone? anyone? is there a way to handle the death of someone you have not met, yet was a major influence in your life vs. a family member who did not influence you? the "norm" of grief reaction? (something I am very familiar with, and the subject of my book.)

the 'argument' is one of human behavior and a sociological phenomenon. great scholars have studied human behavior for years...and still have great debates about it.

It could be something as simple as the 'crowd mentality'. people have a desire, a need to belong...and some person that brings people together under a common theme...they can yield a lot of power, no?

It's not that I don't like celebrities. I appreciate that they worked and sacrificed to get where they are. But without people, they wouldn't be on that pedestal.

People touch our lives everyday with their music, their acting, their literary works, but I feel that without us, they wouldn't be who they are.

Okay, sitting in a comfortable chair waiting to get slammed by rebuttals again.... waving

yes, it does go 'round and 'round....:smile:

You can look at it as simple logic; the larger the number of people that know someone, the larger the number of people that will react to that person.

it also sounds to me (just a bit perhaps) that you think this is another instance where the world/life is not fair.

and by now, you and I both know that life is not fair. period.

why do you take any rebuttal as "being slammed"? interesting...

Back on page 5...I had posted this....

This is an interesting column by Bob Herbert published July 3rd, 2009 in the New York Times. I think it answers some of our questions about this frenzy.

Herbert wrote:

"In many ways we descended as a society into a fantasyland, trying to leave the limits and consequences and obligations of the real world behind. Politicians stopped talking about the poor. We built up staggering amounts of debt and called it an economic boom. We shipped jobs overseas by the millions without ever thinking seriously about how to replace them. We let New Orleans drown.

Jackson was the perfect star for the era, the embodiment of fantasy gone wild. He tried to carve himself up into another person, but, of course, there was the same Michael Jackson underneath — talented but psychologically disabled to the point where he was a danger to himself and others.
Reality is unforgiving. There is no escape. Behind the Jackson facade was the horror of child abuse. Court records and reams of well-documented media accounts contain a stream of serious allegations of child sex abuse and other inappropriate behavior with very young boys. Jackson, a multimillionaire megastar, was excused as an eccentric. Small children were delivered into his company, to spend the night in his bed, often by their parents.

One case of alleged pedophilia against Jackson, the details of which would make your hair stand on end, was settled for a reported $25 million. He beat another case in court.

The Michael-mania that has erupted since Jackson’s death — not just an appreciation of his music, but a giddy celebration of his life — is yet another spasm of the culture opting for fantasy over reality. We don’t want to look under the rock that was Jackson’s real life.

As with so many other things, we don’t want to know."

Yuppers...I think I could have written an article....

Society....it is an interesting study...

When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother...what will I be...

lighthouselover's photo
Sun 07/05/09 03:04 PM

why do birds suddenly apear, every time, you are near

Just like ME, they long to BE close to YOUUUUUUUUUU:tongue:

well..HEY GIRLFRIEND!!!

on the day that you were born, the Angels got together...they sprinkled moon dust in your hair and golden star light in your eyes of blue...

lighthouselover's photo
Sun 07/05/09 03:03 PM

Tell me why why oh why...

I noticed that the threads that have been done 100's of times are still getting 100's of responses...

I don't really care if there is a "Does anyone ever meet anyone anyplace?" thread every day...I almost expect it as new members join the site and new people enter into a social network...

yet, I continue to be somewhat surprised at the threads that get 100's of responses...

and another thing...I tend to think in song lyrics a lot...why is that?

seriously, when someone says something to me, or I see the title of a thread...a song jumps into my mind...

lighthouselover's photo
Sun 07/05/09 02:56 PM

I don't wanna play house!

Today I sat alone at the window
And I watched our little girl outside at play
With the little boy next door like so many times before
But something didn't seem quite right today

lighthouselover's photo
Sun 07/05/09 02:45 PM

Why do the birds go on singing?
Why do the stars glow above?

lighthouselover's photo
Sun 07/05/09 02:44 PM

Why does the sun go on shining?
Why does the sea rush to shore?

lighthouselover's photo
Thu 07/02/09 11:36 AM
happy happy happy happy

well...talents are sometimes hidden!

Killing threads is one of my top talents!!

lighthouselover's photo
Thu 07/02/09 10:03 AM

reading all of this brings a hope again...the feeling of hope that I remember my parents had...

I can remember them talking at the kitchen table...about how our country was going to change for the better...

these words are still relevant today...

timeless words...

lighthouselover's photo
Thu 07/02/09 09:46 AM

This is one of my favorite hymns~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW5S8Xm-GkA

Weak and wounded sinner
Lost and left to die
O, raise your head, for love is passing by
Come to Jesus
Come to Jesus
Come to Jesus and live!

Now your burden's lifted
And carried far away
And precious blood has washed away the stain, so
Sing to Jesus
Sing to Jesus
Sing to Jesus and live!

And like a newborn baby
Don't be afraid to crawl
And remember when you walk
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!

Sometimes the way is lonely
And steep and filled with pain
So if your sky is dark and pours the rain, then
Cry to Jesus
Cry to Jesus
Cry to Jesus and live!

O, and when the love spills over
And music fills the night
And when you can't contain your joy inside, then
Dance for Jesus
Dance for Jesus
Dance for Jesus and live!

And with your final heartbeat
Kiss the world goodbye
Then go in peace, and laugh on Glory's side, and
Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus and live!

I pray for you and your family!

~Deb

lighthouselover's photo
Thu 07/02/09 09:29 AM

one of the most dangerous jobs and one that people generally die quite young is being a truck driver...and that is what Darrel does.

driving 80,000 pounds of vehicle in any and all weather conditions is dangerous enough, then add all the traffic and you have some very dangerous situations.

one of the most dangerous jobs out there is an over the road truck driver!

Thank you for this; I have lost 3 friends in two years, that were my age, to Trucking.
One stress induced heart attack, one sudden illness(found in the sleeper by his Team-Mate) and one due to a head-on collision with another driver whom fell asleep at the wheel.

I am an Owner Operator and have been on Long Haul for the last 20 weeks, I finally have someone to come home to and she gives me reason to get out of the truck for a few days. She tells me each and every morning to stay safe so I can come home to her.:heart:

WOO HOO!! I am so happy that you have that balance now with the home life!! I think it makes a huge difference in the life of a truck driver!!

Those highway miles that are filled with who the hell knows what is ahead, can get tiring very very fast. When you are driving 3000/4000 miles a week...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkfOpl0ujH4

The Heartbeat of America!! I used to hear this all the time when I was in the truck with Darrel...the song is one of the best I have heard, the lyrics really say it all!! I hope that people listen to it!!

It takes a lot of intelligence, a lot of stamina, a lot of hard work, constant abuse of your body...it takes a lot to balance out the life of the road and the life of home...

I will add you and your lady to my prayer list Lord Cole!!

Stay safe!!

lighthouselover's photo
Thu 07/02/09 07:58 AM

I was and am a fantastical, exceptional, wonderful, fantabulous parent!!

I made every mistake in the book with my children...and they still turned out great!!

thanks for asking!!

lighthouselover's photo
Thu 07/02/09 07:56 AM

What is the topic of this thread now?

oh,and Scttr did say "most of us", she did not speak in absolutes.

and it is interesting that your doctor friend went into the entertainment business...a local celebrity of sorts....

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 10:56 PM

My daughter is coming for a couple of days. We are just going to do whatever comes up!! Darrel is home so that is always nice.

probably go into the Food Festival for music and fireworks!

it certainly is much different from last 4th of July...about 45 friends from 5 different countries...what a blast that was!!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 10:37 PM
laugh laugh laugh laugh

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 10:19 PM

one of the most dangerous jobs and one that people generally die quite young is being a truck driver...and that is what Darrel does.

driving 80,000 pounds of vehicle in any and all weather conditions is dangerous enough, then add all the traffic and you have some very dangerous situations.

Deb flowerforyou and yet you accept the risk. Must be True Love!!! :heart:

yes, I do. The schedule is brutal, he is not home for 7-10 days at a time generally, sometimes longer. When he does come home, both of our routines are completely changed...

He is a truck driver period. He would not be happy in doing much anything else really...and I would not want to change him, even if I could. The driver is part of who he is...

and yes, I do love him. really. truly.

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 07/01/09 10:11 PM