Community > Posts By > lighthouselover

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 02/24/10 06:50 PM
Thank you so much for all your prayers and positive energy...

We are trying to get our head around what we need to do. We are looking for a place to live...trying to grasp that we have actually lost everything except for a couple of outfits each...

all the pictures of my children when they were born, all the wonderful lil cards and things they made for me in school and over the years...

my sons ashes that were in our home are now gone...it is a heartbreak that I cannot even comprehend now...everything that I had that belonged to my son is now gone...

any my little chihuahua terrier mix and our Pomeranian...the pain of missing them is beyond words...

I am just numb...we are just numb...

I am so heart broken...

Thank you for all your prayers!

Deb

lighthouselover's photo
Mon 10/05/09 08:51 PM

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

OMG! these guys are just too much! they already have Brett winning the play offs and the Super Bowl!

I predicted the Vikings would win this game.

I'll make another "bold" prediction: The Vikings' season ends on a very bad Brett Favre interception.

That's not sour grapes, that is just the man's history over the past several years.

I have seen it done a few times...

That along with the Vikings record for play off games...ummmmmm...lets see...

oh yea...they have NEVER won the super bowl before!!

lighthouselover's photo
Mon 10/05/09 08:29 PM
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

OMG! these guys are just too much! they already have Brett winning the play offs and the Super Bowl!

they OBVIOUSLY do not know that MN has been in this position before and totally blew it!

I would have the friggen bears win over the Queens!! and I am NOT a bears fan at all!!

the Pack better learn how to give Rodgers some time...

win, lose, or what ever...I will always love the Green Bay Packers!!

lighthouselover's photo
Mon 10/05/09 08:15 PM

Hey Connie! hope you are doing well!

lighthouselover's photo
Mon 10/05/09 08:05 PM

ya know...IF I had not watched Favre play for the Packers for 16 years I would not have known that he has done all this in the past many many times...

I wonder IF the ESPN crew knows that???

they sure seem amazed every time Favre makes a play...*pretend there is a scratching your head emoticon here*

lighthouselover's photo
Mon 08/24/09 01:39 PM
Edited by lighthouselover on Mon 08/24/09 01:41 PM

This was an article that I got in an email...I thought it was very well written.

August 21, 2009 at 11:23 am by: Dan Oswald

I’m going to admit it upfront — I’m a huge Green Bay Packers fan. I grew up in Wisconsin and followed the Pack since I was a boy. I was in diapers when they won the first two Super Bowls and then suffered through some pretty lean years in the ’70s and ’80s. But the 1990s ushered in a new era with the arrival of Brett Favre. The three-time league MVP led them to a 1998 Super Bowl victory over the Denver Broncos and everything was right in Green Bay. The once storied franchise was returned to its previous glory and the conquering hero was Brett Favre.

I always thought Favre played the game the way it was meant to be played. He was a ferocious competitor, but he looked like he was having fun every minute he played. All of us should be so lucky as to have a job that we love so much that each day when we awake we can’t wait to get to work. That’s the way I saw Brett Favre and I respected him immensely for it.

But my opinion of Favre has changed over the past few years and not because he has left the Packers. Favre’s actions over the past years have caused me to lose respect for him. He’s made mistakes that every manager can learn from.

Each of the last three years Favre was with the Packers he contemplated retirement until early last year he finally decided to hang it up. His annual back and forth debate hurt the Packer organization and its people. Here are four things we can learn as managers from Favre’s annual retirement debate.

1. Don’t put yourself before the team. Each year that Favre publicly debated retirement it effectively held the organization hostage. Faced with possibly losing the cornerstone of the franchise, the Packers had to consider what personnel moves to make. Do we need to spend a draft pick on a quarterback or maybe sign a free agent to provide depth at the position? If Favre returns we have strength at that position and will need to work on other needs. What to do? The organization was made to sit and wait for one person to make a decision that would impact many. As a manager, you must do what is best for the company and for your team. If you act selfishly it will negatively impact your ability to lead. You can’t put your personal needs above those of others.

2. Don’t speak until you’re ready to act. I understand that retirement is a big decision and is worthy of serious consideration. But Favre could have quietly considered his options and then made an announcement about whether or not he intended to continue playing. Instead he very openly and publicly would contemplate retirement. Those who counted on him were left to wait for him to make a decision before they could act. There was no plan they could follow because their leader hadn’t made up his mind as to what he was going to do. It’s hard to follow someone who can’t decide whether or not he wants to continue to lead.

3. Once you’ve relinquished your leadership position it’s hard to get it back. After he finally retired and the organization had moved on, Favre decided that he’d made a mistake and wanted to rejoin the team in his old role as the starting quarterback and team leader. Problem is that the organization had moved on. It had anointed a new leader. And, even if the Packers had relented and let him rejoin the team I’m not sure he could have ever become the leader he once was. As a manager, if you relinquish the role of a leader in your organization people will find others to follow. Once they have, it will be nearly impossible to convince them that you are worthy of leading them again.

4. Leaders must be willing to do anything they ask of others. Brett Favre did “unretire” and played last season with the New York Jets, only to retire once again. And just recently, he unretired again and has signed to play for one of the Packers’ biggest rivals, the Minnesota Vikings. Now, Minnesota gave him $25 million reasons to unretire a second time and I won’t begrudge anyone who changes his mind for that kind of money. But Favre’s comment that he waited to sign until after training camp was over really bothered me. He said he didn’t want to go through all the hassle of two practices per day, sleeping in a dorm room with a roommate, and going to endless meetings. Everyone else on the team went through that regimen, but the supposed new team leader couldn’t be bothered with it. How can he expect to assume a leadership position when in his first public statement after joining the team he lets it be known that’s he’s too good to be bothered with training camp?

Brett Favre is an incredible football talent and has made a positive impact on the game. But his actions over the past five years have looked selfish and have tarnished his image. It’s too bad that he wasn’t able to handle all of this better, but we can learn from his mistakes. As a manager, you must remember that respect is hard earned and easily lost. You must carefully consider how your actions will impact your ability to lead others. I think Favre lost sight of that somewhere along the line. As managers we can’t make the same mistake.

lighthouselover's photo
Mon 08/24/09 01:36 PM

Brett was gonna mow his lawn today

but then he changed his mind

but then he decided to mow it

but it was lunchtime so he blew it off

but then around 3:00 he decided to go ahead and mow his lawn

laugh laugh laugh

I heard that he only wanted to show up after the work was done...

lighthouselover's photo
Mon 08/24/09 01:33 PM

His debut game was a joke!!

He went out and threw four times, only connected on one pass and had a total of FOUR yards...he got hit twice....and the one hit planted him on his azz pretty hard...and he felt the pain in his arm when he got hit...he was pulled immediately after that.

The Vikings won their game that day, with Jackson as QB....

it is really sad..

and BTW...HIS legacy was made at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI...

The people of WI hired him, and he worked/played for them!! THEY are the ones that will keep any legacy alive...

HIS legacy belongs to all those who played with him...and it belongs to the game...

HE has done what he has done, and said things that he could not have given much thought too...at least I hope that is why he said the things he did...

The level of respect he has as a person and a player has been diminished quite a bit in the Green Bay area...

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 08/19/09 04:31 PM
actually apples are good for you.. but bananas have to much potassim

actually, that is not true...it is the amount of the food that you eat and the time in between the food...

if my memory serves me right, I think it was 15 carbs every two hours...anymore than that and the body cannot use it and it will store it...

we used to teach to think of the levels as 'blood food' levels.

both banana's and apple's have lots of natural sugar in them, as well as fiber. It all comes down to the serving size and the time eaten...

You can use one of the stretch bands used for exercising and lower the level of your blood food by stretching it for 15 minutes straight...you can even sit down and do this...

talk to a health care professional.

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 08/19/09 08:05 AM

I'm not a diabetic.... but I AM insulin resistant which is one step closer to diabetes if I understand this right. So I don't want to become a diabetic and I'm looking for information since being insulin resistance makes it hard to lose weight.

I am starting to drink the camomile tea after each meal and I'm going to see if this helps. My weakness certainly has been chinese so I'm trying to learn about the glycemic index of foods and this has to do with how fast the sugar goes into your blood stream.

"The Glycemic-Load Diet: A powerful new program for losing weight and reversing insulin resistance" by Rob Thompson really explains your situation well.

There is a difference in 'glycemic index' and glycemic load'.

The best thing anyone can do to help themselves is to get educated about the situation in which they are in. and to get educated with credible sources! in order to make a change in your systems, it is going to take some time...things do not happen over night!!

http://www.amazon.com/Glycemic-Load-Diet-powerful-reversing-resistance/dp/0071462694

another great place to learn is the ADA website...

http://www.diabetes.org/

I have a friend who is on insulin that eats almost anything she wants...she just has to watch HOW MUCH of it she eats...

for instance, she wanted to eat a piece of cake at her niece's baptism, so, she did some carb calculations and ate the burger without the bun, did not eat the potato salad...and was able to eat a small piece of cake.

I think that Dr. Rob Thompson really does a nice job explaining the insulin resistant syndrome in that book!!

Good Luck!

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 08/18/09 03:31 PM
Edited by lighthouselover on Tue 08/18/09 03:32 PM

I was unaware of that fact ddn 122.....i guess he falls into the "douche" category now.Is his family life so shiddy that he has to play????Is it just $$$$$$$$??

Brett went through detox from both pain pills and alcohol, and that was while he played for the Packers. I am not sure about before he was at Green Bay.

Brett was a "god" to the people who loved the Pack. He went through many family difficulties while at Green Bay. The fans felt as if he was like family. Especially the people in and near to Green Bay. His wife had breast cancer, his father died and he played that night, there were a couple of other family deaths...just many things over the 17 years he was in Green Bay.

When he retired (from the Packers) the fans bought up all the 'retirement' jerseys and other memorabilia...

then, when he came back last year...before the Jets got him, he could have stayed at Green Bay...but he didn't like the deal..so the Pack released him to the Jets...

The big night of retiring #4's jersey was canceled...Brett made some statements about his time at GB...

Going to play for the Vikings is really a big kick in the face for the Packers fans...

IMO, he went to play for the Vikings to get back at the Packers for not letting him come back after he retired the first time...he has since said that he was pressured into retirement from the Packers, yet, when he came back, he did not want to fight for the starting spot...or even takes turns starting...

I had tons of respect for Favre for a variety of reasons...I liked that he wore his jeans and t-shirts, I liked that he appeared to be a humble man and not a media whoreee...I liked that he always said that he played the sport for the game and the great people who were fans of the GB Packers....

I have lost a lot of that respect over the past two years...this little game that he seems to be playing is not impressing me at all!

I hope he is ready for the QB sacks!

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 08/18/09 11:50 AM

John Elway, Joe Montana, Troy Aikman ect Favre is 8th best QB at best

according to you.. the good people of Sports Illustrated ranked him #4...

lighthouselover's photo
Mon 08/17/09 09:12 AM

LOL!! the Favre saga continues...

all over the sports news that he is going to put on the pretty pink jersey after all!!

supposed to be playing in game #3 of pre-season!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 08/12/09 04:16 PM

i saw some at 4am it was way coollaugh flowerforyou

happy happy happy drinker

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 08/12/09 04:16 PM

Deb, I would give my right testicle to be able to sit on the shores of the lake by Enchantment and watch them with you!

well, I would give my left bewbbie to have you here!! I think tonight there will be more of the show...(that way with your R and my L, we would still be balanced...)

The next 'great' meteor shower is in December...

BUT...the Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis will be jumping around the sky very soon! Early September is generally a great time to see it!

lighthouselover's photo
Wed 08/12/09 04:09 PM
Edited by lighthouselover on Wed 08/12/09 04:10 PM
laugh laugh

one of my friends used to sing...

"Dirty deeds and the thunder Chief!"

I did not take the quiz cause I saw that you had to register and I don't do that...

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 08/11/09 09:10 PM
happy drinks

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 08/11/09 09:00 PM

nothing going on in northern Michiganflowerforyou

I can see some activity out over the lake! I think I will go out about 2AM...that is when I have seen the most activity over the lake...

and yes, this was the meteor shower that inspired him...now, he may or may not have been one toke over the line...which may have had some implications for copyright issues....
smokin

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 08/11/09 08:14 PM

It's a little cloudy here, hopefully it clears up.

if the clouds are thinning, you can sometimes see the tails anyway..this is generally a pretty bright shower...

I am heading out pretty quick...

lighthouselover's photo
Tue 08/11/09 08:12 PM

oops..I did not see the other thread...and I even went looking! dang it..

my apologies for starting another one...

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25