Community > Posts By > LadyValkyrie37

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Thu 01/17/08 03:52 AM
The Goddess Companion

I am whatever is. Whatever is, I am.
I am whatever is visible. Whatever is visible, I am.
I am whatever is invisible, Whatever is invisible, I am.
I am whatever is alive, Whatever is alive, I am.
I am whatever moves and breathes. Whatever moves and brethes, I am.
I am the very spirit of life. The very spirit of life, I am.
Everything that exists in time is part of me. I am everything that exists.
When time ends, I will end. I will vanish, disappear, dissolve.
And with me, everything else will vanish, disappear, dissolve.
I alone can create, and I alone destroy, this universe.
Everything that exists is mine. Everything that exists is me.
~Invocation to Lakshmi, India

There is nothing in the Universe that does not partake in the essence of the Goddess. In Hindu religion, the Goddess creates everything we see, hear, feel, smell, taste. She is the energy from which all the matter in the universe is made.

The vision of the Goddess is echoed by contemporary science, which has rediscovered what some philosophies have long known: that matter and energy are intimately connected. The dance of subatomic particles, flashing in and out of existence as they swim in their quantum soup, is not far distant from the dancing Goddess who creates all the visible and invisible world through her movement. Whether we call her Lakshmi or the implicate order, there is an ultimate reality to this universe. Whatever we call it, we must marvel at its greatness and its mystery.

From "The Goddess Companion" By Patricia Monaghan

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Thu 01/17/08 03:50 AM
Today's Goddess: Gunnloed
Wassail Day (England)

Themes: Creativity; Wisdom; Health; Protection; Fertility
Symbols: Mead; Poetry; Cauldron or Cup; Apples

About Gunnloed: This Teutonic Goddess guards the mead (a honey wine often made with apples) of sagacity and the muse- a refreshment most welcome at the outset of a new year. In art, Gunnloed is depicted as a giantess; according to stories about her, she stood vigilantly by the magic cauldron of Odherie until Odin wooed her and stole much of the elixir away.

To Do Today: For inspiration and insight, pick out a cup that's special to you and fill it with apple tea and a teaspoon of honey (a mock mead). Stir it clockwise, saying,

Gunnloed, come to me, put ingenuity in this tea! Drink the tea to internalize the magic. If possible, sip it quietly while enjoying a good book of heartening poetry.

Alternatively, sip some mead, quaff some apple juice, or eat an apple today for health, and give a little of the leftover liquid to nearby trees. In Anglo-Saxon tradition, this festival marked a time to enjoy wassail, a spiced apple cider or mead with herbs. Farmers shared this beverage with the apple groves to keep them fertile. Wassail literally means "be well" or "be whole." Drink of the wassail cup to ensure yourself of Gunnloed's gifts of well-being, creativity, and happiness all year.

From "365 Goddess" by Patricia Telesco

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Thu 01/17/08 03:45 AM
"Contrary to what is generally believed, in order to receive we must first give. It is true you cannot give if you do not already possess something, and if you have received nothing you cannot possess anything. But it is a question of knowing from where and from whom to receive. Yet, instead of drawing their needs from the invisible world, most humans turn to other human beings, and that's how they gradually take everything the others have: not only their money and possessions but also their energy, ideas and feelings. You could even say that lovers are the greatest thieves alive! And as there are nothing but love stories everywhere, in poetry and novels, and at the theatre and cinema, that means there are only stories about thieves: yes, it's true, it's all about who will succeed in stealing the heart, attention and time of another. If you observe and reflect on this, you will notice that, on the psychic plane as on the physical plane, people do nothing but steal." --Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Thu 01/17/08 03:36 AM
Healing Our Bodies
Touch

Sometimes we might concentrate so much on our spiritual lives that we overlook the wonders of being present in our physical form. When we are more aware of the fact that our bodies are also important in terms of our personal growth, we may find it easier to nurture them. One of the most powerful ways to do this is through human touch, for a loving, comforting touch allows us to access the part of ourselves that yearns for a sense of oneness with the world around us. Even simple forms of touch connect us not just to our bodies but also to the energetic presence of other people.

There are so many ways to incorporate touch in our daily lives, one of the easiest being a heartfelt embrace. Just making a point to hug someone on a daily basis and really feel our energy pass between each other can strengthen the bonds that keep us together. Hugs help us heal any hurt or upset we may have recently experienced by letting us release into the moment of the embrace and realize that no matter what happens to us, we have someone in our lives who supports and cares for us.

Another nourishing form of touch is massage. While we may think of massage as a luxury, it is actually an ancient form of healing that enables us to open up our energetic pathways in order to receive unlimited energy from the universe. It doesn’t matter whether a simple massage comes from a loved one or a massage therapist, but by giving ourselves the gift of massage every once in a while, we are doing something healthy and beneficial for our bodies. Massage helps our bodies activate their own restorative powers, creating a wonderful way to engage fully in our own healing.

Letting ourselves take advantage of the healing nature of touch creates space where we can truly live in and experience the world through our bodies, allowing us to completely immerse ourselves in the loving sense of joy and wonder that is our life.

from http://www.dailyom.com

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Thu 01/17/08 03:34 AM
Elder's Meditation

"In our story of Creation, we talk about each one of us having our own path to travel, and our own gift to give and to share. You see, what we say is that the Creator gave us all special gifts; each one of us is special. And each one of us is a special gift to each other because we've got something to share." --John Peters (Slow Turtle), WAMPANOAG

We are all equally special. We need to focus on what is right for ourselves. As we focus on what is right for ourselves, we will start to see our special gifts. Then we can see how to share our special gifts with others. If we focus on what's wrong with ourselves, we will not be able to see our gifts. Then we will think we have nothing to give others and we become selfish and withdrawn. The more we focus on our good, the more we see the good in others. The more we see the good in others, the more we see the gifts they have to share. What you sees is what you gets!

My Creator, today, let me use the gifts You have given me. Let me use them wisely.

From http://www.whitebison.org

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Wed 01/16/08 07:28 PM
Edited by LadyValkyrie37 on Wed 01/16/08 07:33 PM

Which Goddesses would you call Upon for Justice?:wink:

The Greek Goddess Themis along with her daughters Dike and Astraea and the Roman Goddess Justitia. The Egyptian Goddess Maat.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Wed 01/16/08 05:15 AM
The Goddess Companion

"Gray-eyed one, I sing of you, wiser and most beautiful, relentless Athena, protector of cities, strong-armed and fair. From his head the great god birthed you, dressed in golden armour and bearing a sharp spear. The holy mountains shook when you were born, and the earth quaked, and the sea's dark waves broke against the land. Even the sun stopped in astonishment at this sight, this goddess, fresh-born and strong. Hail to you, Athena, may I never live without this shield of your protection." ~Homeric Hymn to Athena

To the Greeks, the Great Goddess Athena was the warrior who protected their city. Born in a lightning flash, a miraculous child wearing armour even at birth, she was also the Goddess of wisdom, whose owl-eyes saw truth, wherever it might be hidden..

There is good reason for Athena to represent both wisdom and defense. For we need wisdom to know when to defend ourselves and when to let down our defenses. We must not walk through this world unprotected, for there are those who would steal our energy, our hearts, our time, our possessions. We need to armour ourselves against such thieves and robbers. But we cannot wear armour all the time. There are times we must share: ourselves, our good fortune, our ideas, and our hearts.

Athena's wisdom tells us when its safe to unbuckle the armour and remove the helmet. She is also the armour itself, protecting us when we need it. To live in her image is to live fully but safely, to be generous but not exhausted, to have enough both for ourselves and to share with those who merit it.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Wed 01/16/08 05:12 AM
Today's Goddess: Carmenta
Carmentalia (Rome)

Themes: Children; Fertility; Foresight; Birth
Symbols: Music; Babies

About Carmenta: Carmenta, the Roman Goddess of prophecy and birth, joins in our new year festivities by teaching us the value of preparedness and productivity. The only offerings acceptable to Carmenta are vegetable matter-as a birth Goddess, taking life is abhorrent to her.

Her magical, prophetic nature can be seen in Carmenta's name, specifically the root word carmen, meaning a spell or charm in the form of a song.

To Do Today: Put on some uplifting music while you get dressed this morning. Let it motivate the resourceful aspect of Carmenta within you for the entire day.

In ancient Rome, today was the second to last day of a five-daylong festival honoring Carmenta. Pregnant women offered her rice for a safe delivery, while those wishing to have children ate raspberries to internalize her fertility. Try either of these to prompt the successful completion of a project or to improve your physical, emotional, or spiritual fertility.

Romans considered this an excellent day to make predictions for a child. If you know someone who's expecting, take a ring on a long string and hold it still over the mother's belly. If the ring swings back and forth it indicates a boy; circular movements indicate a girl.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Wed 01/16/08 05:04 AM
Elder's Meditation of the Day

"If people are going to get back into balance, one of the things they have to do is seek the truth. They have to start really speaking the truth themselves, and that's a difficult thing to do. The way it is now in the world, we don't mind lying." --John Peters (Slow Turtle), WAMPANOAG

Well everybody's doing it. Do unto others before they do unto you. If it wasn't for back luck I would have no luck at all. These are excuses and rationalizations for giving up accountability. Be true to yourself. Seek the truth, The Great Spirit is the truth. The truth shall set you free. This is the truth. We cannot be free if we are dishonest nor can we live a balanced life if we are dishonest. As we grow, we need to start taking stands. All warriors take stands. The warrior's belief is constantly being aligned to truth. The warrior will always know where he/she stands.

Great Spirit, help me today to seek Your truth, not my tuth

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Wed 01/16/08 05:01 AM
Embracing Grief
Grief Is Important

Change is something that happens each and every moment in our lives. Since nothing is constant, it may sometimes seem as if we are losing something whenever things do change. Understanding that this is part of our daily existence and that there will not only be gains but also losses in our lives can help us more readily accept and deal with whatever happens.

Whenever we lose something or somebody we love, it is important for us to take time out for ourselves and truly feel the weight of what we are experiencing. Although it may seem that doing so will push us into a deeper state of sadness, truly giving ourselves permission to be with whatever arises actually creates space for us to begin the healing process. This is because the act of grieving is a natural process, allowing us to sort through the range of emotions that are present in our everyday existence. Even though it may sometimes seem easier to involve ourselves in activities that take our minds off of our sadness, this will only make the route to healing more difficult. Unless we listen to where we are in the moment, the emotions we experience will only grow in intensity, and our feelings will manifest themselves in more powerful and less comfortable ways. Once we consciously acknowledge that these emotions are present, however, we are more able to soothe the sorrow of t! he moment. In so doing, we become more open to our natural ability to heal ourselves.

Grieving doesn’t have to be a process that keeps us rooted in our thoughts of fear and sadness. For the moment we might feel despondent, but by expressing and coping with our true feelings, we face the sadness head-on. When we allow ourselves to accept and deal with our loss fully, we will then be able to continue our life’s journey with a much more positive and accepting outlook. This will make it easier for us to see that our grief is ephemeral and, just like our moments of happiness, it will also come to pass.

from http://www.dailyom.com

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Wed 01/16/08 04:18 AM
I'm very sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. brokenheart :cry:

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 01/15/08 08:01 PM
How often do you hear, "If God existed, he wouldn't allow so many injustices to be committed." If we wish to understand God's patience, we must never lose sight of the law of cause and effect, one of the fundamental laws of creation. There is no cause without effect anywhere in the universe; every act and every element is the consequence of a cause. It is only the brevity of life that prevents human beings from having the correct viewpoint and the correct understanding of events; the causes and consequences escape them. That is why they are impatient.

Patience is a virtue that is acquired through an awareness of the continuance of life. As long as people are unable to take a long-term view, they are impatient and draw hasty conclusions, for they see only aberrations and injustice everywhere. Those, on the other hand, who are capable of seeing how the law of cause and effect works will notice that everything is just and everything has meaning.

by Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov (1900, Serbtzi, Bulgaria - 1986, Fréjus, France) was a Bulgarian philosopher, pedagogue, alchemist, mystic, magus and astrologer. He was a disciple of Peter Deunov (Beinsa Douno), the founder of the "Universal White Brotherhood."

His main objective is to help human beings to recapture their spiritual essence (which he refers to as their superior or divine nature), to perfect, strengthen themselves and to blossom in the heart of their activities. Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov further says: “I have always concentrated my efforts to shed light on one subject in particular: the two natures within people, their superior nature and their inferior nature, because this is the key that holds the solution to all problems.”

Yet, the inner, individual work, encompasses in a wider, more universal scope: it opens the consciousness to the fact that we are citizens of the cosmos, members of the great human family, the universal brotherhood, sons and daughters of the same creator. And moreover still, the teaching of the Master Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov invites us to participate to the realization of a new golden age on earth.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 01/15/08 07:48 PM
Greetings & Salutations flowerforyou

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 01/15/08 07:45 PM
Elder's Meditation

"It's all spirit and it's all connected." --Grandfather William Commanda, ALGONQUIN

If everything is connected, we cannot disconnect. To disconnect is not a real choice. This is why we are always spiritual no matter what we do. Every alcoholic is spiritual. All our brothers and sisters are spiritual. We may not be behaving correctly, but nevertheless, we are spiritual. Our choice is to live out of harmony with spiritual ways or in harmony with spiritual ways. Everything is spiritual.

Great Spirit, give me the knowledge to be in harmony with the spirit today.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 01/15/08 07:41 PM
Today's Goddess: Sengen Sana
Mount Fuji Climbing Season (Japan)

Themes: Growth; Maturity
Symbols: Flower Buds

About Sengen Sana: Sengen Sana, a Japanese growth goddess, lives high on Fujiyama, giving her unique perspectives about each person's path in life. When you need to see yourself more clearly or inspire development in your spirit, call on her for aid. According to Japanese tradition, this goddess makes the flowers blossom today, just as she can make our lives blossom into maturity. She also governs cherry blossoms, which represent the beauty and fragility of life.

To Do Today: Put a nosegay of new blossoms on your altar or in a special place to remember Sengen Sana today. Use one as a bouton-niere to liven up your clothing and inspire progress in any situation that seems to be stagnating. After the day is done, dry the petals of the blossom and burn them on a day when you want a little extra motivation.

In Japan, this day is a time to honor those who have come of age (on turning twenty) in the last year. These people dress in new clothing to mark the transition and go to community centers to celebrate. In keeping with this theme, consider having a rite of passage for any children in your life who have shown unique maturity (no matter their age). Bring them into the magic circle, present them with ritual tools, let them choose a magical name, and then give them permission to participate as a full adult in all your rituals to come.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 01/15/08 07:40 PM
The Goddess Companion

At daybreak, the rising sun stretches her arms.
At daybreak, the goddess rises to her feet.
She rises, driving out darkness from the land.
She rises, bringing daylight and birdsong to the land.
Beneath her, we move about, enjoying her warmth.
Above us, she moves about, moving westward.
She shines bright on the blooming collibah tree,
with its sprawiling roots, with its spreading branches.
~Dulngulg Song Cycle, Australian Mudbara People

Light grows daily stronger at this time of year, but it is hard to believe it, for the world still seems shrouded in wintery gloom. Yet daily, the sun rises earlier and sets later. Daily, the great round of the year reveals its mysteries once again.

So it is with our lives. We pass through periods where we believe that we will never find happiness again, that we will never find an end to pain, that we will forever suffer from frustration and unease and anxiety.But nothing lasts forever. The greatest pain, like the greatest joy, someday ends. True joy exists in learning to delight in the dance of life, not clinging to a certain day's beauties or even to its pains. True joy exists in moving like the sun through each day, knowing that it will finally end but also that a new day will always dawn afresh.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 01/15/08 04:26 PM

I like tarot cards. I put them in my mountain bike spokes and it makes this COOL sound. WEEEEEEEEEeeeee

laugh I like your avatar.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 01/15/08 04:07 PM

By the way, what tarot deck do you use? Personally I like using The Sacred Circle Tarot deck. But I've also been known to use The Rider-Waite Tarot deck, not the Universial Waite Tarot.

The deck I use is the Sacred Circle.
And why does this thread seem flakey to you, because I do tarot, and Im sitting here bored and felt like flipping some cards.
What becasue I didn't charge 100 bucks, come on, Flakey huh Not!!!!huh
Love & Light
GeminiGoddess

frown Did I hit on a sensitive spot? ohwell I am entitled to my opinion, aren't I, even if it's not a popular one? huh It seems flakey to me because I seriously don't believe one can get an accurate reading for another person online... unless you've invested a significant amount of time conversing with the other person... you know really making a connection. I spend a lot of time grounding myself before I even begin a tarot reading. Then I spend time meditating on the person that's going to be read. Then I spend time meditating and asking the cards the specific question (if any) that the person may have. It's a process that I personally am very meticulous and methodical about. Also, I take tarot more seriously than to just flip some cards just because I'm bored. But to each their own. Have fun doing tarot your way as I will doing it my own way.
"Loathe & Darkness" :wink: laugh
Tosses a Black Rose
Lady Valkyrie

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 01/15/08 03:36 PM

What is the difference between Pagan and Wicca? indifferent

The Diff between Pagan and Wicca is that Pagans are more of the Earth Based Religion, using more of the earth to do their work than using material object. Wiccans, use more the new age more props, and not as Earthy of a Trad

I beg to differ. One can't lump all Pagans as being very Earthy. There are far too many different religions under the umbrella of Paganism with so very many different beliefs and practices to make such a blanket statement. However, one can state that one specific Pagan religion such as Wicca is definately an Earth based religion. Just looking at the Esbats (full moon rituals) and the 8 Sabbats (which are all devoted to specific occurrances within Nature) that are celebrated, one can see that this specific Pagan religion, called Wicca, is indeed very Earth based and Nature oriented. In 1974 The Council of American Witches composed what is called The 13 Principles of the Wiccan Belief. The are as follows...

Principles of Wiccan Belief
as adopted by the Council of American Witches, April 1974

Introduction: In seeking to be inclusive, we do not wish to open ourselves to the destruction of our group by those on self-serving power trips, or to philosophies and practices contradictory to those principles. In seeking to exclude those whose ways are contradictory to ours, we do not want to deny participation with us to any who are sincerely interested in our knowledge and beliefs, regardless of race, color, sex, age, national or cultural origins, or sexual preference

1. We practice rites to attune ourselves with the natural rhythm of life forces marked by the phases of the moon and the Seasonal Quarters and Cross-Quarters.

2. We recognize that our intelligence gives us a unique responsibility towards our environment. We seek to live in harmony with nature, in ecological balance offering fulfillment to life and consciousness within an evolutionary concept.

3. We acknowledge a depth of power far greater than that apparent to the average person. Because it is far greater than ordinary it is sometimes called "supernatural," but we see it as lying within that which is naturally potential to all.

4. We conceive of the Creative Power in the universe as manifest through polarity - as masculine and feminine - and that same Creative power lies in all people, and functions through the interaction of masculine and feminine. We value neither above the other, knowing each to be supportive to the other. We value sex as pleasure, as the symbol and embodiment of life, and as one of the sources of energies used in magical practice and religious worship.

5. We recognize both outer worlds and inner, or psychological, worlds known sometimes as the Spiritual World, the Collective Unconscious, Inner Planes, etc. - and we see in the interaction of these two dimensions the basis for paranormal phenomena and magickal exercises. We neglect neither dimension for the other, seeing both as necessary for our fulfillment.

6. We do not recognize any authoritarian hierarchy, but do honor those who teach, respect those who share their greater knowledge and wisdom, and acknowledge those who courageously give of themselves in leadership.

7. We see religion, magic, and wisdom in living as being united in the way one views the world and live within it - a world view and philosophy of life which we identify as "Witchcraft - the Wiccan Way."

8. Calling oneself "Witch" does not make one a Witch - but neither does heredity itself, nor the collecting of titles, degrees and initiations. A Witch seeks to control the forces within themselves that make life possible in order to live wisely and well without harm to others and in harmony with Nature.

9. We believe in the affirmation and fulfillment of life in a continuation of evolution and development of consciousness giving meaning to the Universe we know and our personal role within it.

10. Our only animosity towards Christianity, or towards any other religion or philosophy of life, is to the extent that its institutions have claimed to be "the only way" and have sought to deny freedom to others and to suppress other ways of religious practice and belief.

11. As American Witches, we are not threatened by debates on the history of the Craft, the origins of various terms, the legitimacy of various aspects of different traditions. We are concerned with our present and our future.

12. We do not accept the concept of absolute evil, nor do we worship any entity known as "Satan" or "the Devil," as defined by the Christian tradition. We do not seek power through the suffering of others, nor accept that personal benefit can be derived only by denial to another.

13. We believe that we should seek within Nature that which is contributory to our health and well-being.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 01/15/08 03:08 PM
I posted the following in tomie's thread, "philosophy and doctrine of witchcraft" and I thought it be appropriate to post it here as well. It covers a lot of the questions already asked and then some. Not to mention it's good to get the perspective of more than one Pagan, right GeminiGoddess?

What is Paganism?
The word "pagan" comes from the Latin word "paganus" which meant "civilian" or "country dweller." "Paganus" is also related to the Latin word "pagus" which means "the country district." Early in the Christian church's history the churches were mainly found in the larger cities, which meant that the majority of city dwellers were Christians. However, the further outside of the city you went you would find less and less Christians. In fact you would find those who still practiced the land's native religion/spiritual practices. City dwelling Christians referred to such people in a derrogatory was as "pagans." The same can be said of the word "heathen" which originally meant "one who lives on the heath." In modern times Paganism refers to any religion that is not of Christian, Judaic, or Islamic origins.

How old is it?
It's as old as humankind... as old as humankind began looking towards something other than themselves as the creators of life. It's definately older than Christianity.

Is it a religion?
I don't think it's one specific religion, but rather a specific title which many different religions and spiritual beliefs come under.

What are the beliefs/ practices/ rituals within Paganism?
Because Paganism is merely a title which many different religions and spiritual beliefs fall under, there are far too many different beliefs, practices, and rituals to be described here.

What is Wicca? Wicca is a nature-based neo-pagan religion popularized in the mid 1950 by a man by the name of Gerald Gardner. The first tradition (denomination if you will) of Wicca he created is called Gardnerian Wicca. Since then many other traditions of Wicca have popped having roots in the core beliefs of Gardnerian Wicca. However, some more modern traditions of Wicca, such as Dianic Wicca, pretend to be an authentic form of Wicca, but in reality they are nothing more than a feminazi all girls club that do not even acknowledge Gods at all but focus only on Goddess worship. By Wicca's very nature it's core beliefs is that the God and Goddess are equal and both work together. So in my opinion Dianic Wicca is not a tradition of Wicca at all and should just be called Dianic Witches. One last thing on Wicca, the word Wicca and Pagan are not interchangeable. Not all Pagans are Wiccans but all Wiccans are certainly Pagans.

What is Witchcraft? Witchcraft is not a religion. Witchcraft is the practice of Magick. Aleister Crowley said that "Magick is the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will." One doesn't need to have a belief in a Higher Power to perform Witchcraft (Magick). An atheist can practice Witchcraft (Magick) if they wanted to. But having a belief in a Higher Power certainly doesn't hurt one's performance as a Witch. Witchcraft can coupled with any religion in the world... even Christianity... and yes I can back up my claims.

I would like to add something about "The Wiccan Rede" because someone has already brought it up. Far too many believe that the terms Wiccans, Witches, and Pagans are all interchangeable terms... they are not. Because so many believe that the terms are interchangeable they also believe that all Wiccans, Pagans and Witches alike must abide by The Wiccan Rede. This is simply not true. I would like to talk a bit about The Wiccan Rede...

Main Entry: 1rede
Pronunciation: 'rEd
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English -- more at READ
1 archaic : to give counsel to : ADVISE
2 archaic : INTERPRET, EXPLAIN

Main Entry: 2rede
Function: noun
1 archaic : COUNSEL, ADVICE
2 archaic : ACCOUNT, STORY

The Wiccan Rede
Full Version

Bide within the Law you must, in perfect Love and perfect Trust.
Live you must and let to live, fairly take and fairly give.

For tread the Circle thrice about to keep unwelcome spirits out.
To bind the spell well every time, let the spell be said in rhyme.

Light of eye and soft of touch, speak you little, listen much.
Honor the Old Ones in deed and name,
let love and light be our guides again.

Deosil go by the waxing moon, chanting out the joyful tune.
Widdershins go when the moon doth wane,
and the werewolf howls by the dread wolfsbane.

When the Lady's moon is new, kiss the hand to Her times two.
When the moon rides at Her peak then your heart's desire seek.

Heed the North winds mighty gale, lock the door and trim the sail.
When the Wind blows from the East, expect the new and set the feast.

When the wind comes from the South, love will kiss you on the mouth.
When the wind whispers from the West, all hearts will find peace and rest.

Nine woods in the Cauldron go, burn them fast and burn them slow.
Birch in the fire goes to represent what the Lady knows.

Oak in the forest towers with might, in the fire it brings the God's
insight. Rowan is a tree of power causing life and magick to flower.

Willows at the waterside stand ready to help us to the Summerland.
Hawthorn is burned to purify and to draw faerie to your eye.

Hazel-the tree of wisdom and learning adds its strength to the bright fire burning.
White are the flowers of Apple tree that brings us fruits of fertility.

Grapes grow upon the vine giving us both joy and wine.
Fir does mark the evergreen to represent immortality seen.

Elder is the Lady's tree burn it not or cursed you'll be.
Four times the Major Sabbats mark in the light and in the dark.

As the old year starts to wane the new begins, it's now Samhain.
When the time for Imbolc shows watch for flowers through the snows.

When the wheel begins to turn soon the Beltane fires will burn.
As the wheel turns to Lamas night power is brought to magick rite.

Four times the Minor Sabbats fall use the Sun to mark them all.
When the wheel has turned to Yule light the log the Horned One rules.

In the spring, when night equals day time for Ostara to come our way.
When the Sun has reached it's height time for Oak and Holly to fight.

Harvesting comes to one and all when the Autumn Equinox does fall.
Heed the flower, bush, and tree by the Lady blessed you'll be.

Where the rippling waters go cast a stone, the truth you'll know.
When you have and hold a need, harken not to others greed.

With a fool no season spend or be counted as his friend.
Merry Meet and Merry Part bright the cheeks and warm the heart.

Mind the Three-fold Laws you should three times bad and three times good.
When misfortune is enow wear the star upon your brow.

Be true in love this you must do unless your love is false to you.

These Eight words the Rede fulfill:
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

Written by Adriana Porter and was published by Lady Gwen Thompson (Adriana Porter's Granddaughter) in The Green Egg magazine in 1975

The Wiccan Rede
Short Version, Most Commonly Used
These Eight words the Rede fulfill:
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

This short phrase has a long and rich history. Gerald Gardner who started the first official Tradition of Wicca called Gardnerian Wicca. Prior to Gerald Gardner's third book The Meaning of Witchcraft, published in 1959, Gardner did not discuss ethics. In "The Meaning of Witchcraft" Gardner says, "(Witches) are inclined to the morality of the legendary Good King Pausol, 'Do what you like so long as you harm no one' But they believe a certain law to be important, "You must not use magic for anything which will cause harm to anyone, and if, to prevent a greater wrong being done, you must discommode someone, you must do it only in a way which will abate the harm."

The Good King Pausol was a character in the book called "The Adventures of King Pausole" published in 1901 by Pierre Louÿs. More specifically the line that Gardner was referring to out of the book, "The Adventures of King Pausole" was, "Do no wrong to thy neighbor. Observing this, do as thou pleasest." Some believe that Gardner was influenced by the older Law of Thelema created by Aleister Crowley, however, this has been up for debate for a long time now.

Now enter in Doreen Valiente. The short form wiccan rede was first publically mentioned in a speech by Doreen Valiente on October 3, 1964 at what may have been the first witches' dinner organized in modern history. The event was sponsored by Pentagram, a quarterly newsletter and "witchcraft review" started and published by Gerard Noel in 1964. Doreene Valiente's Wiccan Rede quote was also published in volume one (1964) of the Pentagram, the UK newsletter that hosted the event and as will be discussed later was subsequently published beween circa 1965 and 1966 in the United States in The Waxing Moon newsletter. In 1965 the Rede was again quoted without references in Justine Glass' book Witchcraft, The Sixth Sense.

Some believe that Gardner wrote the eight word Wiccan Rede. Others believe that Doreene Valiente, who edited a lot of Gardner's work, wrote it using his work. To me, personally, it doesn't matter who wrote it. To some it's really important and makes for some heated debates.

As I mentioned above the word Rede means counsel or advice. Simply put you can lead a horse to water but you can make the horse drink the water. Just because counsel or advice is given doesn't mean it's going to be taken and used. Notice that in the quote above from Gardner's book "The Meaning of Witchcraft" he says they (witches) are INCLINED to the morality, he doesn't say that they are BOUND.

Gerald Gardner had 161 Laws called the Old Laws or The Ardane for all those who were Gardnerian Wiccans. Since that one tradition of Wicca was started many others have followed, some taking with them some of the laws others leaving the laws behind others taking the laws and adding to them, etc. Today, most Wiccans do not follow all 161 of these Laws. Wicca has evolved. Much like Christianity has evolved. Christianity certainly is not the same today as it was when it first began. The Wiccan Rede is not a Law and was never a Law. It is however, wise advice and good counsel for when you practice magick.

To me it seems that the Wiccan Rede has become dogmatic within the Wiccan community. In fact many who are not well informed often believe that all Witches, Pagans as well as Wiccans must abide by The Wiccan Rede or else they are considered a part of the "Dark Arts" or considered to practice "Black" Witchcraft. I don't believe in this whole "White" and "Black" Witchcraft BS. Magick is neither "black" or "white." Within all of Nature there is both good and evil, beauty and cruelty, black, white, and even shades of grey. So it is within Human Nature and the practice of Witchcraft. One cannot go through life without harming something else. And sometimes justice needs to be served on those who harm others.

I do not speak for all Pagans, Witches, or Wiccans. I can merely speak for myself. If there is someone who is out to harm my loved ones in any way, shape, or form, and the usual methods of help are not successful for me and my loved ones I will turn to Magick. I will use Magick as a way to protect me and my loved ones from harm. If need be, I will use Magick to bring about justice when all earthly methods of justice have not prevailed. In short one's own moral compass decides what is right and wrong. That's why "The Wiccan Rede" was given as advice not holy law, when practicing Magick, because it's not something that you go into lightly. At the same time, one can not be a doormat for certain people in this world who would take advantage of you in a heartbeat. I've looked at "The Book of Satan" by Anton Szandor LeVay for some very wise advice on this subject...

1. “Love one another” it has been said is the supreme law, but what power made it so? Upon what rational authority does the gospel of love rest? Why should I not hate mine enemies -- if I “love” them does that not place me at their mercy?
2. Is it natural for enemies to do good unto each other -- and WHAT IS GOOD?
3. Can the torn and bloody victom “love” the blood splashed jaws that rend him limb from limb?
4. Are we not all predatory animals by instinct? If humans ceased wholly from preying upon each other, could they continue to exist?
5. Is not “lust and carnal desire” a more truthful term to describe “love” when applied to the continuance of the race? Is not the “love” of the fawning scriptures simply a euphemism for sexual activity, or was the “great teacher” a glorifier or eunuchs?
6. Love your enemies and do good to them that hate and use you -- is this not the despicable philosophy of the spaniel that rolls upon its back when kicked?
7. Hate your enemies with a whole heart, and if a man smite you on one cheek, SMASH him on the other!; smite him hip and thigh, for self-preservation is the highest law!
8. He who turns the other cheek is a cowardly dog!
9. Give blow for blow, scorn for scorn, doom for doom -- with compound interest liberally added thereunto! Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, aye four-fold, a hundred-fold! Make yourself a Terror to your adversary, and when he goeth his way, he will posses much additional wisdom to ruminate over. Thus shall you make yourself respected in all the walks of life, and your spirit -- your immortal spirit -- shall live, not in an intangible paradise, but in the brains and sinews of those whose respect you have gained.

Just because I'm a Christian Pagan Witch doesn't mean I'm one of those fluffy "love, light, and harmony" type Witches.

I believe what Jesus taught and what Anton LaVey taught concerning love and enemies. The key factor is the specifics of any given situation. What Jesus teaches is not beneficial to any human being in every single situation. What LaVey teaches is not beneficial to any human being in every single situation. One cannot be like Jesus teaches and allow everyone treat you as a doormat all the time. At the same time one cannot be like LaVey teaches and allow anger and bitterness to take over ones heart and soul. One must gain the wisdom to determine which philosophy would be the most beneficial to oneself in that particular situation.

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 10 11 12 23 24