Community > Posts By > LadyValkyrie37

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 01/14/08 10:06 AM
What is Paganism?
The word "pagan" comes from the Latin word "paganus" which meant "civilian" or "country dweller." "Paganus" is also related to the Latin word "pagus" which means "the country district." Early in the Christian church's history the churches were mainly found in the larger cities, which meant that the majority of city dwellers were Christians. However, the further outside of the city you went you would find less and less Christians. In fact you would find those who still practiced the land's native religion/spiritual practices. City dwelling Christians referred to such people in a derrogatory was as "pagans." The same can be said of the word "heathen" which originally meant "one who lives on the heath." In modern times Paganism refers to any religion that is not of Christian, Judaic, or Islamic origins.

How old is it?
It's as old as humankind... as old as humankind began looking towards something other than themselves as the creators of life. It's definately older than Christianity.

Is it a religion?
I don't think it's one specific religion, but rather a specific title which many different religions and spiritual beliefs come under.

What are the beliefs/ practices/ rituals?
Because Paganism is merely a title which many different religions and spiritual beliefs fall under, there are far too many different beliefs, practices, and rituals to be described here.

What is Wicca? Wicca is a nature-based neo-pagan religion popularized in the mid 1950 by a man by the name of Gerald Gardner. The first tradition (denomination if you will) of Wicca he created is called Gardnerian Wicca. Since then many other traditions of Wicca have popped having roots in the core beliefs of Gardnerian Wicca. However, some more modern traditions of Wicca, such as Dianic Wicca, pretend to be an authentic form of Wicca, but in reality they are nothing more than a feminazi all girls club that do not even acknowledge Gods at all but focus only on Goddess worship. By Wicca's very nature it's core beliefs is that the God and Goddess are equal and both work together. So in my opinion Dianic Wicca is not a tradition of Wicca at all and should just be called Dianic Witches. One last thing on Wicca, the word Wicca and Pagan are not interchangeable. Not all Pagans are Wiccans but all Wiccans are certainly Pagans.

What is Witchcraft? Witchcraft is not a religion. Witchcraft is the practice of Magick. Aleister Crowley said that "Magick is the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will." One doesn't need to have a belief in a Higher Power to perform Witchcraft (Magick). An atheist can practice Witchcraft (Magick) if they wanted to. But having a belief in a Higher Power certainly doesn't hurt one's performance as a Witch. Witchcraft can coupled with any religion in the world... even Christianity... and yes I can back up my claims.

I would like to add something about "The Wiccan Rede" because someone has already brought it up. Far too many believe that the terms Wiccans, Witches, and Pagans are all interchangeable terms... they are not. Because so many believe that the terms are interchangeable they also believe that all Wiccans, Pagans and Witches alike must abide by The Wiccan Rede. This is simply not true. I would like to talk a bit about The Wiccan Rede...

Main Entry: 1rede
Pronunciation: 'rEd
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English -- more at READ
1 archaic : to give counsel to : ADVISE
2 archaic : INTERPRET, EXPLAIN

Main Entry: 2rede
Function: noun
1 archaic : COUNSEL, ADVICE
2 archaic : ACCOUNT, STORY

The Wiccan Rede
Full Version

Bide within the Law you must, in perfect Love and perfect Trust.
Live you must and let to live, fairly take and fairly give.

For tread the Circle thrice about to keep unwelcome spirits out.
To bind the spell well every time, let the spell be said in rhyme.

Light of eye and soft of touch, speak you little, listen much.
Honor the Old Ones in deed and name,
let love and light be our guides again.

Deosil go by the waxing moon, chanting out the joyful tune.
Widdershins go when the moon doth wane,
and the werewolf howls by the dread wolfsbane.

When the Lady's moon is new, kiss the hand to Her times two.
When the moon rides at Her peak then your heart's desire seek.

Heed the North winds mighty gale, lock the door and trim the sail.
When the Wind blows from the East, expect the new and set the feast.

When the wind comes from the South, love will kiss you on the mouth.
When the wind whispers from the West, all hearts will find peace and rest.

Nine woods in the Cauldron go, burn them fast and burn them slow.
Birch in the fire goes to represent what the Lady knows.

Oak in the forest towers with might, in the fire it brings the God's
insight. Rowan is a tree of power causing life and magick to flower.

Willows at the waterside stand ready to help us to the Summerland.
Hawthorn is burned to purify and to draw faerie to your eye.

Hazel-the tree of wisdom and learning adds its strength to the bright fire burning.
White are the flowers of Apple tree that brings us fruits of fertility.

Grapes grow upon the vine giving us both joy and wine.
Fir does mark the evergreen to represent immortality seen.

Elder is the Lady's tree burn it not or cursed you'll be.
Four times the Major Sabbats mark in the light and in the dark.

As the old year starts to wane the new begins, it's now Samhain.
When the time for Imbolc shows watch for flowers through the snows.

When the wheel begins to turn soon the Beltane fires will burn.
As the wheel turns to Lamas night power is brought to magick rite.

Four times the Minor Sabbats fall use the Sun to mark them all.
When the wheel has turned to Yule light the log the Horned One rules.

In the spring, when night equals day time for Ostara to come our way.
When the Sun has reached it's height time for Oak and Holly to fight.

Harvesting comes to one and all when the Autumn Equinox does fall.
Heed the flower, bush, and tree by the Lady blessed you'll be.

Where the rippling waters go cast a stone, the truth you'll know.
When you have and hold a need, harken not to others greed.

With a fool no season spend or be counted as his friend.
Merry Meet and Merry Part bright the cheeks and warm the heart.

Mind the Three-fold Laws you should three times bad and three times good.
When misfortune is enow wear the star upon your brow.

Be true in love this you must do unless your love is false to you.

These Eight words the Rede fulfill:
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

Written by Adriana Porter and was published by Lady Gwen Thompson (Adriana Porter's Granddaughter) in The Green Egg magazine in 1975

The Wiccan Rede
Short Version, Most Commonly Used
These Eight words the Rede fulfill:
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

This short phrase has a long and rich history. Gerald Gardner who started the first official Tradition of Wicca called Gardnerian Wicca. Prior to Gerald Gardner's third book The Meaning of Witchcraft, published in 1959, Gardner did not discuss ethics. In "The Meaning of Witchcraft" Gardner says, "(Witches) are inclined to the morality of the legendary Good King Pausol, 'Do what you like so long as you harm no one' But they believe a certain law to be important, "You must not use magic for anything which will cause harm to anyone, and if, to prevent a greater wrong being done, you must discommode someone, you must do it only in a way which will abate the harm."

The Good King Pausol was a character in the book called "The Adventures of King Pausole" published in 1901 by Pierre Louÿs. More specifically the line that Gardner was referring to out of the book, "The Adventures of King Pausole" was, "Do no wrong to thy neighbor. Observing this, do as thou pleasest." Some believe that Gardner was influenced by the older Law of Thelema created by Aleister Crowley, however, this has been up for debate for a long time now.

Now enter in Doreen Valiente. The short form wiccan rede was first publically mentioned in a speech by Doreen Valiente on October 3, 1964 at what may have been the first witches' dinner organized in modern history. The event was sponsored by Pentagram, a quarterly newsletter and "witchcraft review" started and published by Gerard Noel in 1964. Doreene Valiente's Wiccan Rede quote was also published in volume one (1964) of the Pentagram, the UK newsletter that hosted the event and as will be discussed later was subsequently published beween circa 1965 and 1966 in the United States in The Waxing Moon newsletter. In 1965 the Rede was again quoted without references in Justine Glass' book Witchcraft, The Sixth Sense.

Some believe that Gardner wrote the eight word Wiccan Rede. Others believe that Doreene Valiente, who edited a lot of Gardner's work, wrote it using his work. To me, personally, it doesn't matter who wrote it. To some it's really important and makes for some heated debates.

As I mentioned above the word Rede means counsel or advice. Simply put you can lead a horse to water but you can make the horse drink the water. Just because counsel or advice is given doesn't mean it's going to be taken and used. Notice that in the quote above from Gardner's book "The Meaning of Witchcraft" he says they (witches) are INCLINED to the morality, he doesn't say that they are BOUND.

Gerald Gardner had 161 Laws called the Old Laws or The Ardane for all those who were Gardnerian Wiccans. Since that one tradition of Wicca was started many others have followed, some taking with them some of the laws others leaving the laws behind others taking the laws and adding to them, etc. Today, most Wiccans do not follow all 161 of these Laws. Wicca has evolved. Much like Christianity has evolved. Christianity certainly is not the same today as it was when it first began. The Wiccan Rede is not a Law and was never a Law. It is however, wise advice and good counsel for when you practice magick.

To me it seems that the Wiccan Rede has become dogmatic within the Wiccan community. In fact many who are not well informed often believe that all Witches, Pagans as well as Wiccans must abide by The Wiccan Rede or else they are considered a part of the "Dark Arts" or considered to practice "Black" Witchcraft. I don't believe in this whole "White" and "Black" Witchcraft BS. Magick is neither "black" or "white." Within all of Nature there is both good and evil, beauty and cruelty, black, white, and even shades of grey. So it is within Human Nature and the practice of Witchcraft. One cannot go through life without harming something else. And sometimes justice needs to be served on those who harm others.

I do not speak for all Pagans, Witches, or Wiccans. I can merely speak for myself. If there is someone who is out to harm my loved ones in any way, shape, or form, and the usual methods of help are not successful for me and my loved ones I will turn to Magick. I will use Magick as a way to protect me and my loved ones from harm. If need be, I will use Magick to bring about justice when all earthly methods of justice have not prevailed. In short one's own moral compass decides what is right and wrong. That's why "The Wiccan Rede" was given as advice not holy law, when practicing Magick, because it's not something that you go into lightly. At the same time, one can not be a doormat for certain people in this world who would take advantage of you in a heartbeat. I've looked at "The Book of Satan" by Anton Szandor LeVay for some very wise advice on this subject...

1. “Love one another” it has been said is the supreme law, but what power made it so? Upon what rational authority does the gospel of love rest? Why should I not hate mine enemies -- if I “love” them does that not place me at their mercy?
2. Is it natural for enemies to do good unto each other -- and WHAT IS GOOD?
3. Can the torn and bloody victom “love” the blood splashed jaws that rend him limb from limb?
4. Are we not all predatory animals by instinct? If humans ceased wholly from preying upon each other, could they continue to exist?
5. Is not “lust and carnal desire” a more truthful term to describe “love” when applied to the continuance of the race? Is not the “love” of the fawning scriptures simply a euphemism for sexual activity, or was the “great teacher” a glorifier or eunuchs?
6. Love your enemies and do good to them that hate and use you -- is this not the despicable philosophy of the spaniel that rolls upon its back when kicked?
7. Hate your enemies with a whole heart, and if a man smite you on one cheek, SMASH him on the other!; smite him hip and thigh, for self-preservation is the highest law!
8. He who turns the other cheek is a cowardly dog!
9. Give blow for blow, scorn for scorn, doom for doom -- with compound interest liberally added thereunto! Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, aye four-fold, a hundred-fold! Make yourself a Terror to your adversary, and when he goeth his way, he will posses much additional wisdom to ruminate over. Thus shall you make yourself respected in all the walks of life, and your spirit -- your immortal spirit -- shall live, not in an intangible paradise, but in the brains and sinews of those whose respect you have gained.

Just because I'm a Christian Pagan Witch doesn't mean I'm one of those fluffy "love, light, and harmony" type Witches.

I believe what Jesus taught and what Anton LaVey taught concerning love and enemies. The key factor is the specifics of any given situation. What Jesus teaches is not beneficial to any human being in every single situation. What LaVey teaches is not beneficial to any human being in every single situation. One cannot be like Jesus teaches and allow everyone treat you as a doormat all the time. At the same time one cannot be like LaVey teaches and allow anger and bitterness to take over ones heart and soul. One must gain the wisdom to determine which philosophy would be the most beneficial to oneself in that particular situation.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 09:35 PM

Hi LadyV,

Nice to see you posting again. I'm on a tight time schedule for a while, so I will be reading in spurts what you have written.

Thanks for taking the time. I will also take the time to read your efforts.

Thank you dear. I hope this new year isn't as hectic as last appeared to be for you.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 09:23 PM

Answer this? Why do you feel the need to use "Magic" in your life?

If we understand maybe there is more tolerance.

Stevie Nicks is known for stating that she practices.

Because magic is always around me. Magic is life.
Magic allows you to create your existence the way you see fit... from a general idea of life to your daily routines in life.
It helps me to focus, to learn discipline, to open my mind, and to allow new experiences to come into my life.

INDEED! Being a Kitchen Witch and a SAHM, Magick helps me to focus on hearth and home even more and make my house a home. I've learned to many ways of clearing negative energies out of my home and having 3 teenagers in the home that's realy helpful! laugh

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 09:18 PM

No, black magic doesn't.
They either do magic to harm or not to. That's the only difference.

I totally agree. Remember I stated in another one of your threads about my opinions on such tv shows like "Charmed" and movies like "The Craft?" Well, I'm going to do the unthinkable and actually quote "The Craft" only because this one quote speaks volumes in the truth about Magick... "True magic is neither black nor white. It's both because nature is both, loving and cruel, all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch. Life gives a balance of it's own." Ok you can burn me at the stake for quoting that stupid movie that teenyboppers think is a "how-to" guide to Wicca! laugh Anyway, I truely believe that there is both good and evil within every human being. The key is to keep the correct balance of good and evil within ourselves. To allow the balance to be tipped too far either way makes for a very unhealthy soul. Yes I do believe a person can be unhealthy by being "too good" because they are denying what is naturally within themselves (evil) that is itching to get out every once in a while. To deny oneself is unhealthy for the soul... in my opinion.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 09:06 PM

for two years, it was for healing purposes. Myself and another person did a lot of healing magic for people who needed it.
After that, I do the occasional magic for inspiration or just for overall health.

Was it like Reiki?

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 09:05 PM

ok. so, you use magic for health whereas i pray for health purposes???? looking for same results from different sources. right?

All magic really is.. is fancy prayer, to put it bluntly.

So, yeah, I guess you could say that.

When one prays one is petioning a Higher Power(s) that one believes in. As I stated earlier, Aleister Crowley said "Magick is the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will." Performing Magick can be done without petioning (praying) to any Higher Power(s). At least that is my opinion.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 09:00 PM

Mossop...

Witchcraft is a religion, indeed.
But I am not a religious follower nor am I someone who worships or even applies the religion into my daily life. I simply work in magic while having my own beliefs and idea.

Nothing is taboo anymore it seems.
Witchcraft has been a popular and controversial thing for a very long time. The only real problem now is that people will take such a good system and make it into whatever they feel is necessary just so people will get the wrong idea.

Ok I'm confused... you believe that Witchcraft is a religion... you practice Witchcraft... yet you are not a religious person and you do not follow any religion. Please elaborate.

Exactly. I believe Witchcraft is a religion, and also a practice.
I practice witchcraft. I am not one who studies the religion.

It's the religion part that I wish for you to explain to me. What religion part do you not practice? What is it exactly about witchcraft that makes you believe it's a religion. It's almost like you are eluding to Witchcraft and Paganism are interchangeable terms, which in my opinion, they are not, because Paganism is a term used to decribe a wide array of different religions. It's like you are saying you are practicing Witchcraft but not practicing Paganism. Am I correct?

pa·gan /ˈpeɪgən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pey-guhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. one of a people or community observing a polytheistic religion, as the ancient Romans and Greeks.
2. a person who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim.
3. an irreligious or hedonistic person.
–adjective 4. pertaining to the worship or worshipers of any religion that is neither Christian, Jewish, nor Muslim.
5. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of pagans.
6. irreligious or hedonistic

Read number two.
I am Pagan in that sense.
My ideas are Pagan. My lifestyle is Pagan.

As for Witchcraft being a religion, even I can say that I am not 100% sure that it actually is.
For the most part, I do not follow by dogma or ritual or worship.
I simply use magic.

laugh By definition number 2's standards an atheist would then be considered a Pagan. Somehow in the way that the word Pagan is used nowadays, I don't think any atheist would be too keen on the idea of being called a Pagan. laugh

I added my own definition of "pagan" in another thread "Are There Pagans Out There?" Here's what I posted... "The word "pagan" comes from the Latin word "paganus" which meant "civilian" or "country dweller." "Paganus" is also related to the Latin word "pagus" which means "the country district." Early in the Christian church's history the churches were mainly found in the larger cities, which meant that the majority of city dwellers were Christians. However, the further outside of the city you went you would find less and less Christians. In fact you would find those who still practiced the land's native religion/spiritual practices. City dwelling Christians referred to such people in a derrogatory was as "pagans." The same can be said of the word "heathen" which originally meant "one who lives on the heath." In modern times Paganism refers to any religion that is not of Christian, Judaic, or Islamic origins.

As for Witchcraft/Magick... it would be interesting to hear from you as you go along your Witch's journey how your opinions of the matter, (Is the practice of Witchcraft/Magick itself a religion or not?) come along.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 08:51 PM

I met a woman who used a deck of playing cards. She had some writting or maybe, more properly, lines and drawings on some of the cards. I'm not sure why, but sometimes she used a clean deck. We spoke briefly, I asked her about the cards. She began to give a history of the "cards" and that playing cards were actually just a version of tarot cards. They were used as playing cards at some point, because it was unlawful to have tarot cards.

I remember that much, because I thought it was interesting.

Does any of that ring true?

Tarot cards began as a card game in Europe (specifically around Italy) around the 14th century. When the cards started being used for divination is actually unclear. As for it being unlawful for them to be used for divination is news to me. I guess it could be true... I don't know, though.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 08:38 PM

Mossop...

But I am not a religious follower nor am I someone who worships or even applies the religion into my daily life. I simply work in magic while having my own beliefs and idea.

Witchcraft has been a popular and controversial thing for a very long time. The only real problem now is that people will take such a good system and make it into whatever they feel is necessary just so people will get the wrong idea.

Ok I'm confused... you believe that Witchcraft is a religion... you practice Witchcraft... yet you are not a religious person and you do not follow any religion. Please elaborate.

Exactly. I believe Witchcraft is a religion, and also a practice.
I practice witchcraft. I am not one who studies the religion.

It's the religion part that I wish for you to explain to me. What religion part do you not practice? What is it exactly about witchcraft that makes you believe it's a religion. It's almost like you are eluding to Witchcraft and Paganism are interchangeable terms, which in my opinion, they are not, because Paganism is a term used to decribe a wide array of different religions. It's like you are saying you are practicing Witchcraft but not practicing Paganism. Am I correct?

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 08:32 PM

devilwas,
Silver RavenWolf is a good and enjoyable read for witchcraft.

In my opinion Ravenwolf is too "fluff bunny" with her writing to gain the interest of teenagers who wish to become "teenage witches." It's a load of BS that rides the coat tails of the shows like "Charmed" and movies like "The Craft" which also made teenyboppers think that such shows and movies were "how to" guides to Wicca. laugh

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 08:28 PM

Mossop...

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 08:24 PM

Mind you, I am not religious nor do I follow a religion.

I don't know how many debates I've had with Pagans and Wiccans alike about whether Witchcraft is a religion or not. I've always known in my heart that it's not a religion but rather the practice of Magick. One doesn't need to have a faith in a Higher Power at all to practice Magick. As Aleister Crowley said Magick is the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will. So I'm wondering since you say you are not religious do you not believe you need a Higher Power to practice Witchcraft (Magick)?

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 08:11 PM
I'm a witch and a psi vamp and quite frankly I think you are the rude one coming in here where all faiths co-mingle and just blurt out that witches are evil and that they prey on innocent people. That is a blanket statement that is not true. Just because you had bad experience doesn't mean we are all like that. I find it interesting that you say that you have respect for vamps. Do you realize that not every vamp acknowledges and abides by the Black Veil? If you have a bad experience with one of those types of vamps are you going to come here are scream that all vamps are evil and that they all prey on innocents? I suggest that you listen to some of your namesakes music and chill out for a while. Hope things get better for you. :wink: :smile:

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 08:03 PM
Edited by LadyValkyrie37 on Sun 01/13/08 08:04 PM

Is pagan and wiccan the same? I know there are wiccans on here.

What is a Pagan?
The word "pagan" comes from the Latin word "paganus" which meant "civilian" or "country dweller." "Paganus" is also related to the Latin word "pagus" which means "the country district." Early in the Christian church's history the churches were mainly found in the larger cities, which meant that the majority of city dwellers were Christians. However, the further outside of the city you went you would find less and less Christians. In fact you would find those who still practiced the land's native religion/spiritual practices. City dwelling Christians referred to such people in a derrogatory was as "pagans." The same can be said of the word "heathen" which originally meant "one who lives on the heath." In modern times Paganism refers to any religion that is not of Christian, Judaic, or Islamic origins.

What is a Wiccan?
A Wiccan is one who follows the Wiccan religion. Wicca is a neo-pagan religion that was made popular in the 1950's.

Not every Pagan is considered a Wiccan but every Wiccan is considered to be a Pagan. And lets not get the words witch and wiccan confused either. They are not interchangable terms.

Sorry to ramble on like an encyclopedia, but this is one thing that pisses me off... when people misuse these terms because they don't understand their correct meaning. Thanks for putting up with me. :wink: laugh

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 07:56 PM

Satanism is part of the Christian pantheon in that they believe in Satan, so it kind of doesn't count as pagan, but there are many satanists who don't belive in satan per-say. Kind of complex that one.

I have a Satanism thread around here somewhere. The Satanists who believe in Satan as a divine entity that they worship are called Luciferian Satanists or Luciferian Witches. The Satanists who don't believe in Satan as a divine entity but rather look at themselves as God and Goddesses, and in reality are simply atheists are called LeVayian Satanists from the Official Church of Satan founded by Anton LeVay.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 07:52 PM
By the way, what tarot deck do you use? Personally I like using The Sacred Circle Tarot deck. But I've also been known to use The Rider-Waite Tarot deck, not the Universial Waite Tarot.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 07:47 PM
I read tarot cards as well but to me this thread seems a little flakey. Sorry if my opinion offends, but I couldn't help but think of the many tarot card websites that plague the internet nowadays which are so very flakey.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 07:43 PM
Goddess: The Holy Spirit
God: God of the Holy Bible
Of course I believe in the son that they bore together, Jesus.

However, I look to the many stories that surround the many Gods and Goddesses of the world to gain spiritual wisdom as well.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 07:33 PM
"Character is what you are in the dark." -D.L. Moody

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Sun 01/13/08 07:32 PM
Elder's Meditation

"When you remove love and try to replace it with monetary things, you've got nothing ... get him to understand that he has to love himself before he can love anything else." --John Peters (Slow Turtle), WAMPANOAG

It is said, "Love thy neighbor as thyself." That's the trouble, most of us don't.

Great Spirit, You are love; You are spirit. Spirit and love are interconnected. I am spiritual. Let me realize what I am really made of.

From http://www.whitebison.org

1 2 5 6 7 9 11 12 13 23 24