Community > Posts By > TJN

TJN's photo
Sun 12/15/13 07:49 PM

Canadian leaders taking pictures

Where and when was this taken?

According to this, it was taken at the Mandela memorial: http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2013/12/10/21327766.html

So, it looks like other leaders were doing the same thing. As you can see from the link, there were other similar pictures taken as well.

Before the ceremony started. And taken by others not themselves, making a gofey face.

TJN's photo
Sun 12/15/13 07:45 PM

TJ, what does a professional act like during this type of event? Are there guidelines? Are there certain things normal people are allowed to do, but professionals aren't? Give us the specifics, please.

Reading your other posts it doesn't matter what I tell you how I think my president should have acted. So I won't waste my time.

TJN's photo
Sun 12/15/13 07:41 PM

bishop tutu taking photo at mandela memorial

If you look at the railing in the foreground and how blurry it is you can tell the pic was taken from a distance with a zoom lense.

TJN's photo
Sun 12/15/13 07:39 PM

Canadian leaders taking pictures

Where and when was this taken?

TJN's photo
Sun 12/15/13 07:34 PM

I'm not sure who else was taking pictures. There were lots of pictures taken during the event. Was there a specific way you believe all should have behaved?

I would think if others leaders did the same thing it would be reported. Like you said there were lots of pictures taken.
I would want the leader of my country to act like a professional.

TJN's photo
Sun 12/15/13 07:22 PM
Were there any other world leaders or heads of state doing the same?
Or were they being professional like leaders of a country should be?

TJN's photo
Sun 12/15/13 01:35 PM

I Remember her saying something in a debate about the vice president helping senate pass policy

remember her not knowing what Hamas is or the Bush Doctrine

tbere were several, I don't have them all memorized, these are the first that come to mind,,,

I don't recall those. I guess at some point all candidates have memory lapses. It's only human.

it wasn't a memory lapse,, she didn't say she didn't recall,,lol

she just DIDNT KNOW,,, she said in an interview before being picked,, that she had to find out what the VP Did,,,,,lol

The Vice President is also President of the United States Senate. In that capacity, he/she is allowed to vote in the Senate when necessary to break a tie. While Senate customs have created supermajority rules that have diminished this Constitutional power, the Vice President still retains the ability to influence legislation.
As for the Hamas and Bush Doctrine you should do some research as to what was asked of her and what her response was instead of reading what liberal biased media said her answers were.

TJN's photo
Sat 12/14/13 09:08 PM
Snows on the ground. I think it's in the Packers best interest to sit Rodgers the rest of the season. And happy holidays to you too.

TJN's photo
Sat 12/14/13 08:42 PM

unfortunately,, maybe he should have

in an event or speech that is of any length,, it helps having notes on paper or teleprompter or whatever medium to prevent (unprofessional) slip ups,,,,,

always have a back up,,,

This is off topic but I seem to remember liberals slamming Sarah Palin for having notes on her hand during one of her speeches.

TJN's photo
Sat 12/14/13 04:05 PM
The guy is a violent schizophrenic according to his own words.
How did he make it through the screening of our secret service?
EPIC FAIL

TJN's photo
Thu 12/12/13 04:40 AM

Meanwhile, back in the US, conservatives are attacking Obama left and right over a handshake and a picture during the memorial. So, we certainly have idiots here, too.

And that has what to to with the OP?

TJN's photo
Wed 12/11/13 03:47 PM

I don't know how to take this in.
Makes me wonder what kind of information is given on the news in South Arica

Well one of their own became president of the United States so he is a hero of most of the continent.

That's how it seems. It's better to be popular then be someone who has saved millions

TJN's photo
Wed 12/11/13 03:39 PM
Edited by TJN on Wed 12/11/13 03:40 PM

A sterling example of the maxim, no good deed goes unpunished.

Former President George W. Bush was booed when he appeared on the video monitor at today’s memorial for Nelson Mandela in Johannesburg, South Africa, according to the White House pool report, which cited local press outlets.

Meanwhile, when the images President Obama and Michelle popped up, there was a 30-second “deafening roar,” the pooler wrote.

How sad. Bush has done an far greater amount for South Africa than Obama. But Obama is much better at crafting his public image and saying the right things.

Bush personally saved the lives of millions of South Africans with his President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, or PEPFAR, ensuring AIDS drugs are available to South Africa’s impoverished masses.

From a Washington Post piece describing how Bush’s achievements were haunting Obama’s June trip to South Africa:

In South Africa, the success ( of PEPFAR) was extraordinary. AIDS killed roughly 2.3 million in South Africa — once one of the worst-affected countries in the world — and orphaned about a million children there, according to the United Nations. Today, rates of infection have fallen to 30 percent, and nearly 2 million people are on antiretroviral drugs.

Meanwhile, Obama has cut PEPFAR funding and generally been his customary inattentive self. From the same Post piece:

AIDS advocates on Sunday said that Obama administration budget cuts that have slashed hundreds of millions of dollars from PEPFAR threaten to turn back years of progress in the fight against the AIDS epidemic. Last year, the administration unveiled a budget that reduces AIDS funding globally by roughly $214 million, the first time an American president has reduced the U.S. commitment to fighting the epidemic since it broke out in the 1980s during the Reagan administration.

“Knowing that Africa has many challenges, with fighting AIDS being one of the biggest challenges, we were really expecting President Obama to continue where President Bush had left off,” said Hilary Thulare, country director of the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, a Los Angeles-based nonprofit group that works in 26 countries providing medical care to people with AIDS. “But it’s been a disappointment. Obama is retreating on AIDS and, by this, retreating on Africa.”

Thulare said she wished Obama was as inspired by Mandela when it came to fighting AIDS.

I’m sure those desperately in need of AIDS drugs in South Africa would be happy to hear that Mandela’s saga “woke me up to my responsibilities to others and to myself,” as Obama said today.

Meanwhile, Obama today delivered his speech, shared some stirring words, accepted his applause, and went home. I imagine most of those awestruck by Obama and contemptuous of his predecessor are HIV-negative.

Bush is still heavily involved in Africa, turning his focus last year to cervical and breast cancer and traveling repeatedly to the continent.

I assume he knows that even as he was booed in Johannesburg, God was cheering, and millions of South Africans who would be dead are going about their lives.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2013/12/10/bush-booed-mandela-memorial/

I don't know how to take this in.
Makes me wonder what kind of information is given on the news in South Arica

TJN's photo
Fri 12/06/13 08:16 AM
Let's see. The White House puts out a story in 2011 saying Obama never had contact with his uncle because they looked in his book and it didn't say anything about them ever meeting.
Now it comes ou in the trial if Obama's uncle that Obama stayed with him for several weeks and they saw each other every few months after up until about 20 years ago.

My question is why the White House didn't just ask the man living in the White House if he ever meet his uncle?
And with all the media focus at the time you can't tell me Obama didn't hear anything about the story that he never meet his uncle.

If you ask me it wasn't a good move politically to report the truth that Obama had in fact not only meet his uncle but lived with him. So the White House ran with that story until Obama's uncle under oath told the truth, now the White House is sidestepping to correct what was previously stated.

With me then it also raises the question what else the White House has stated or not stated that isn't the truth.

TJN's photo
Sun 12/01/13 09:40 AM
Edited by TJN on Sun 12/01/13 09:43 AM
Tell me you're not comparing hazing to child birth...When I mentioned child birth, it was as an example of "right of passage" not hazing.....

I did no such thing.
Is there not a fine line between hazing and right of passage? I compaired blood wings to a right of passage not hazing. Some would call it hazing. I guess it's all everyone's own perspective. You are the one who brought child birth into the conversation. Which I dont think belongs in the coversation because it's not others doing it to you. I said what I did because you said one death is to many.
The title of the OP is hazing? Consentual bullying?
Was it not?

I used an example of hazing I lived through that was stopped because a few complained about it.
Now I called it a right of passage, a time honored tradition.
A couple of you read to much into it. Made it into a dumb macho thing.
It's not only men doing it.

Yes I will agree some take it to far and there are deaths, but those going into it know the risks and can stop any time they want.

I just don't like that because of a few that take things to the extreme
It has to ruin it for those who want to go through the and carry on traditions.
Wether it's sports a college frat or sorority or blood wings or what have you.

TJN's photo
Sat 11/30/13 06:09 PM

Ritual, tradition, right of passage.

That just goes with the wussification of people.

When I went through airborne school and graduated we had a tradition of getting "blood wings"
Where at graduation the jump masters would hold your winds to your chest and punch them in so they stuck to your chest. Then you had some whine and cry about it and they no longer do it. If you ask me it created a stronger bond of brotherhood between us. But hey what do I know.

Not about to get into a pizzing match with a tough guy like you, but your words and attitude are a HUGE part of the problem and why so many young "children" are "dying" to confirm "right of passage"...Also, getting poked in the chest with a sharp object at the age of 22 is not hazing, it is childs play for wussies...

This is the result of hazing...."Hank Nuwer Chronology of Hazing Deaths"

http://www.hanknuwer.com/hazingdeaths.html

From the article...

FYI: This list contains the minimum number of deaths from such causes. The section of the title "of hazing, initiation, and pledging-Related Accidents" is used because of legal advice due to strong attempts by interest groups to disassociate themselves from certain episodes described below. In my books I have tried to reserve the term "��hazing" for those incidents that have been so identified by state and institutional authorities. If a state hazing law has not been invoked (or a grand jury failed to indict), or if a school or victim'��s family said hazing did not occur even though the fatal occurrence closely matched standard definitions of hazing, I use the term "��Initiation and Pledging-related Accident"instead of the term "hazing."

Obviously, even with 44 laws on the books, the definition of hazing is often disputed by individuals and their organizations-��and even occasionally by grieving families of deceased pledges who prefer to think their loved ones died following "��horseplay." At the same time, some examined deaths due to alcohol use may not fall under the category of hazing. Some deaths may reveal other hazing-related deaths, including the deaths of members at the hands of other members disciplining them, deaths of members during pledge sneaks (pledges taking harsh action against members), and other less typical actions resulting in deaths.

Hi Leigh, flowerforyou

Are you suggesting 174 hazing deaths in 175 years... outrageously problematic?
I have no opinion on the subject... But There's one case in that list where the fellow died from a cold caught by icewater haze? whoa

I wonder how many training recruits have died in military boot camps in the same period... I bet it's at least 10 times that figure?

Yeah, I am...I consider one unnecessary death problematic, not to mention the injuries both physical and psychological....What is the purpose, what excuse can you make that would would justify even one death?......Yeah, me and 44 other state consider hazing outrageously problematic....And your analogy is....well, it has no merit John....

I agree leigh...we are supposed to be an intelligent species. getting my own bank accout was my rite of passage. do something constructive is how I earn my "wings"

any time anyone anywhere has attempted to "haze" me I put an immediate stop to it and reported it to the authorities....and have gone over heads many times and would again. to me, wrong from right, respect and honor are more important than popularity earned by cooperating with something inherently stupid and potentially dangerous

Well stated as always Sweetflowerforyou ....I am so tired of the macho mentality that leaves room for nothing else....Can not imagine the pain and suffering loved ones, especially mothers and fathers, endure when they lose a child to something so vapid....My right of passage came when I was 19...I gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby girl....drinker

I'm sorry if I came across as having a "macho mentality" that wasn't my intent. I was using an example of my own experience.

How do you feel about college sororities hazing?

And aren't there any cases of women dying or having permanent health problems due to child birth? Should we make child birth against the law then?

TJN's photo
Sat 11/30/13 05:58 PM

When I went through airborne school and graduated we had a tradition of getting "blood wings"
Where at graduation the jump masters would hold your winds to your chest and punch them in so they stuck to your chest. Then you had some whine and cry about it and they no longer do it. If you ask me it created a stronger bond of brotherhood between us. But hey what do I know.

sounds pretty stupid

Why?
Then again if you haven't been through it I wouldn't expect you to understand.

It was a time honored tradition.
To me it gave me more of a sense of accomplishment.

It still sounds like some dumm thing guys would do that has no basis in any reason or purpose. like some prehistoric tribal ritual....

don;t assume you have some kind of premium on having "been through" things

anyway sounds like a guy thingslaphead

First of all it's not "some dumb thing guys would do" I had 2 Army females and a female Marine who were in my class.

Second I'm not assuming anything. I think I'm qualified on the subject having been through it.

Third maybe it is "like some prehistoric tribal ritual"
but there are those of us who are honored to have been a part of that prehistoric tribal ritual.

What I'm not understanding is those who feel the need to degrade those of us who did it.
Is that not a form of bulling itself?

TJN's photo
Sat 11/30/13 01:45 PM

Not about to get into a pizzing match with a tough guy like you, but your words and attitude are a HUGE part of the problem and why so many young "children" are "dying" to confirm "right of passage"...Also, getting poked in the chest with a sharp object at the age of 22 is not hazing, it is childs play for wussies...

This is the result of hazing...."Hank Nuwer Chronology of Hazing Deaths"

http://www.hanknuwer.com/hazingdeaths.html

From the article...

FYI: This list contains the minimum number of deaths from such causes. The section of the title "of hazing, initiation, and pledging-Related Accidents" is used because of legal advice due to strong attempts by interest groups to disassociate themselves from certain episodes described below. In my books I have tried to reserve the term "��hazing" for those incidents that have been so identified by state and institutional authorities. If a state hazing law has not been invoked (or a grand jury failed to indict), or if a school or victim'��s family said hazing did not occur even though the fatal occurrence closely matched standard definitions of hazing, I use the term "��Initiation and Pledging-related Accident"instead of the term "hazing."

Obviously, even with 44 laws on the books, the definition of hazing is often disputed by individuals and their organizations-��and even occasionally by grieving families of deceased pledges who prefer to think their loved ones died following "��horseplay." At the same time, some examined deaths due to alcohol use may not fall under the category of hazing. Some deaths may reveal other hazing-related deaths, including the deaths of members at the hands of other members disciplining them, deaths of members during pledge sneaks (pledges taking harsh action against members), and other less typical actions resulting in deaths.

I was referring more to the referring hazing as consentual bullying.
I don't see it as bullying. I see it as what I stated above Tradition, a right of passage.
As to the hazing deaths. Should we then stop HS football because some kids have died in practices.

TJN's photo
Sat 11/30/13 11:28 AM
Edited by TJN on Sat 11/30/13 11:29 AM

sounds pretty stupid

Why?
Then again if you haven't been through it I wouldn't expect you to understand.

It was a time honored tradition.
To me it gave me more of a sense of accomplishment.

TJN's photo
Sat 11/30/13 09:49 AM

How old were you when you graduated Airborne School?.....Sincere question TJflowerforyou

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 24 25