Community > Posts By > singmesweet

no photo
Fri 02/07/14 09:42 AM

Just want to test the separatist theory about Black History Month that is being tossed around here by so many, some of whom I consider my good friends...Will they separate me out of their circle of friendship if I don't agree?....Or will they just ignore my post like I don't exist....Ho hum, ho hum....ohwell

Initially founded by Carter Woodson as Negro History Week to honor two influential men, Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln, Negro History Week also marked several historical events that happened in February, in particular, the Fifteenth Amendment...Controversy began in 1976 when Negro History Week was expanded to a month...Many people feel that Black History Month only highlights racial lines that divide American society...They say black history is simply American History and this is true...The only problem is, with the exception of Black History Month, African Americans are rarely mentioned in American history...Woodson's objective in changing the way history books portrayed blacks was integration...He also believed the need for Black History Month would go away once integration was complete...Therein lies the problem...Is integration complete?...I guess the answer depends on who you ask...For me, as long as hate exists, Black History Month will remain vital...Why?...Because, aside from the obvious need to highlight the impact of certain African Americans on society, Black History Month serves as a reminder to ALL OF US of the dangers of oppression and how it affects ALL OF US...Black History Month reminds ALL OF US of the importance of human rights for ALL OF US....

No cullin' gonna happen here, sweet lips.

One reason the hate needs to be kept alive is so, the slackers and ambulance chasers can keep winning.

If, we was all made equal, which has happened, there'd be no more need to make one group MO SPECIAL.

Jews ain't still b itchin' cuz they were slaves for THOUSANDS of years. They got over it and got a fkin' life. Ya' be feelin me?:wink:

Hate is being kept alive by racists and bigots. Unfortunately, there are still many racists out there and many bigots out there. If the hatred wasn't still alive and well, there probably would be no need for black history month, Hispanic history month, women's history month and so on.

no photo
Thu 02/06/14 08:32 PM

Here lately I have seen lots of hostility toward white Americans being expressed in this forum, lots of negative stereotyping in particular.

Yes!
Claiming all dem der white folks owned slaves and owes us fer r days as slavein fo da massahs.

What kind of accent are you writing in, willing? Not something race specific, right?

no photo
Thu 02/06/14 08:30 PM

What offends you so much about black history month, willing? You're not usually one to try to make Americans less separated.

It's the separatist, race specific, entitlement attitude associated with it.

So do all of the various history months offend you?

no photo
Thu 02/06/14 07:25 PM
What offends you so much about black history month, willing? You're not usually one to try to make Americans less separated.

no photo
Thu 02/06/14 07:11 PM
Willing, are you against all the different history months, or just black history month?

no photo
Thu 02/06/14 06:49 PM

It's a tool extremists separatists use to keep us hating on da white man.

There are poor folks of all races.

Why the ADDICTION to race specific causes?

Ah, so for you, it's about people hating white people? Are you against the various other history months as well?

no photo
Thu 02/06/14 06:46 PM

I find Black History Month to be harmless yet educational.

:thumbsup:

no photo
Thu 02/06/14 06:45 PM

Folks, the purpose of Black History Month is to fill in the gaps that exist in the telling of American history.

Like it or not, the accomplishments of black Americans were often left out of the books about American history. What Black History Month does is provide balance to the telling of American history.

Now, if American History books have been corrected to include the accomplishments of black Americans, then I can see why people would think that Black History Month has outlived its purpose.

I think a Native American history month makes more sense.

There is one. It's November.

no photo
Wed 02/05/14 07:29 PM

Because they are dumb as rocks. bigsmile

Why would that make them dumb?

no photo
Wed 02/05/14 06:43 PM

interesting question

what may be seen as tolerating could also be seen as compromising

neither is negative or positive by itself, but I believe both become necessary at different points in a relationship

and yes, we choose what we will or wont tolerate,,,

depends on the hotness scale, or how much we are attracted to them...
more the attraction, the more we tolerate
the less we are attracted, the less we tolerate

i guess it's human nature...

Not really. I don't become more tolerant of things listed in the OP just because someone is attractive.

i think everyone does, to an extent... otherwise, it might be a lonely life for some...

What do you become more tolerant of based on attraction? I don't see anything listed in the OP that I would become more tolerant of based on attraction.

# 4 and #10 i would not tolerate, but the rest can be bent a little...

Some of the ones you could tolerate would probably involve dishonesty, though.

no photo
Wed 02/05/14 06:41 PM

If the sex was explosive, could you tolerate usually intolerable stuff?

Stuff on the list in the OP? No. Leaving the seat up? Leaving the lights on? Things like that, sure.

no photo
Wed 02/05/14 06:40 PM

I wouldnt be tolerant of anything on the list but I would of things like leavin the seat up, or the cap off the toothpaste type stuff. I think when people are generally happier when a particular person is in their life, then they tolerate more that would otherwise bother them with someone else.

Yes, these little things are absolutely things that can be tolerated. If I had to tolerate anything from the list in the OP, the person is not for me.

no photo
Wed 02/05/14 10:00 AM

interesting question

neither is negative or positive by itself, but I believe both become necessary at different points in a relationship

Not really. I don't become more tolerant of things listed in the OP just because someone is attractive.

i think everyone does, to an extent... otherwise, it might be a lonely life for some...

What do you become more tolerant of based on attraction? I don't see anything listed in the OP that I would become more tolerant of based on attraction.

no photo
Wed 02/05/14 09:48 AM

god? With a small g?
Is that one of the minor deities? I'm Catholic so I need a guy who's into one of the major deities.
I'm not as picky about the dog though. A small d type dog is fine by me.

god is picky about capitalization, huh?

no photo
Wed 02/05/14 09:47 AM

interesting question

no photo
Wed 02/05/14 09:45 AM
If I just tolerate someone, I wouldn't be in a relationship with them.

no photo
Tue 02/04/14 07:54 PM
What rules?

no photo
Tue 02/04/14 07:34 PM

This discussion stopped being about friends pretty quickly.

For some it did and became a venue for personal comments.

So, you have qualifications just like anyone else. They just happen to be different than those listed in this thread.

Those with any sense have "qualifications" -- some of which are more "politically correct" or popular than others. Loving dogs appears to be more popular than maintaining physical condition.

Who cares? You have your qualifications. Others have theirs. Why just whine about it, rather than move on to someone else, whether you're talking about friendship or more? Clearly people who have pets are not for you. There are lots of people out there who do not have pets. Are you having trouble finding them for some reason?

no photo
Tue 02/04/14 07:23 PM

In my opinion the author made the common blunder of using blanket statements as though they applied to men in general (or all men)

SOME men are problem-solvers, detail oriented, anxious to please – others are not. Some men prefer confident women – others are intimidated by confident women. Some are providers – but some are dependent.

A few of her "solutions" may be good ideas for people in general – show appreciation, be receptive, etc – but some can be a recipe for disaster; such as "Start to trust that your man really does want to make you happy. Your trust will make him be a better man for you." Apply that "reasoning" to a man who is a user / opportunist / player and imagine the results.

There are often communication problems between people regardless of gender. Even in our "information age" many people do not develop communication skills.

Yes, generalizing is a common mistake. People do it all the time, unfortunately. It even happens here in the forums.

no photo
Tue 02/04/14 06:44 PM

Perhaps the ultimate along these lines is a woman I encountered who had posted at the front door of her house a sign which read:

"These premisses are maintained for the comfort and safety of animals. If you don't like that please go away."

I did go away

Oh no! A person who cares about animals and wants to keep them safe. What a terrible thing!

1 2 10 11 12 14 16 17 18 24 25