Community > Posts By > mightymoe

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 01:50 PM

The only issue I see with the proposals is that Chicago is singled out. though in raw numbers the violence is high, it is not close to the highest when accounting for the population in Chicago.

there are many cities with even more 'epidemic' rates per capita of violent crime. And if we put national guard in all those cities, its a pandora's box that could lead to an enforcement trend nationwide, which I would not want to see.

I think there have been other times that violence has spiked and somehow came back down and other places where violence has been curbed by measures beyond military efforts. Perhaps we can take some cues from what has already worked before to bring the numbers down, before resorting to military state, or cities.
no there's not...the only other city is new Orleans, the city that was made into the "chocolate city" after hurricane Rita hit.... And they don't have the ridiculous gun laws like Chicago...

yes there is, Chicago has a PER CAPITA rate of that is not close to the highest

A non-profit news outlet that focuses on gun coverage called The Trace, found that in gun violence per capita, Chicago isn’t even in the top 10 — or the top 15.

Miami, Washington, D.C. and other metro areas are worse.

And here are the absolute worst: New Orleans is on top, followed by Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore and Oakland.

You have to go all the way down to number 18 to find Chicago, right behind Pittsburgh.

https://wgntv.com/2017/06/20/chicago-not-most-dangerous-u-s-city-in-new-study/

in other words, looking at raw numbers, a city having 100 murders seems worse than one that has 50

UNLESS

the former has a population of 10,000 and the latter only a population of 60... so the proportion to the population (per capita)matters when measuring severity from city to city.
oh phttt... Always a spin...new Orleans is number 1, Chicago is number 2... No per capita crap

no crap, just logic

a community where 50 percent are dying is worse off than one where 5 percent are, regardless of the raw numbers ...

dead is dead either way...30 - 40 people being shot every weekend doesn't mean we should cancel it out because they have a huge population...the per capita crap is just a liberal spin to keep their gun control fantasy alive a little longer, that's why they news media refuses to shed any light on how gun control doesn't work...40 people shot in one weekend vrs 5 from a smaller town... At the end of a year, over 2000 shot in Chicago vrs 260 in the smaller town...can you see where your logic is messed up?

yes, dead IS dead. and Chicago IS NOT the most violent city we have. No one said anything about canceling anything. per capita is not liberal 'spin' it is math and relevance.

gun control is another topic. there is no evidence provided in this thread on the topic anyway, just alot of opinions of what does or does not 'work'

my logic is just fine. 260 in a town of 2000 is fAR WORSE Than 2000 in a town of 2 million. (13 vs .01 percent)

no, I think you misread...2000 is the number of people who were shot in Chicago at the end of the year, 260 is the number shot in a small town after a year... You seem to be saying that the 260 number is worse than the 2000 number... There's your liberal spin, even tho you can't see it...

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 10:18 AM
Is this 9th grade math class?

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 10:17 AM

I’m sure there are probably more than a few people who are like that, however there are those ( a lot) that when the “problem “ has been fixed they are actually able to relax and there minds don’t wonder.
I doubt that...it's human nature to solve problems

I solve problems all the time. Once their solved I don’t look for another problem..... I relax. I don’t look for problems I look for peace and enjoyment.
isn't looking for peace and enjoyment just another problem to solve?

By definition no. Not even synonymous . But playing devils advocate I am sure there are those that again would find looking for peace and enjoyment “a problem“ So if that’s the way you wish to think.... then I guess you can safely say yes the mind is always searching to solve problems .
the way I see it, if someone has to look for peace and enjoyment, then it's a problem to be solved, because you would have to find it...if it just comes naturally, then it's not a problem...

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 10:10 AM

I dunno man, I stopped looking for problems and now, I'm not finding them.
The only ... 'problem' I experience is my deteriorating health.
When something does come up and gets in my face, I handle it best I can and let it go. I don't get much of that anymore either.
In general, I live without drama, without stress and I try to adjust my behavior so problems don't arise, and they don't.
there's always problems, we just don't always realize that we're thinking about how to solve problems in almost all of our awake time..

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 10:07 AM

I’m sure there are probably more than a few people who are like that, however there are those ( a lot) that when the “problem “ has been fixed they are actually able to relax and there minds don’t wonder.

I solve problems all the time. Once their solved I don’t look for another problem..... I relax. I don’t look for problems I look for peace and enjoyment.
isn't looking for peace and enjoyment just another problem to solve?

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 10:02 AM

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 09:58 AM

What a stupid azz thread, protesting Chinese is laughable.noway
yea, keep laughing in a few years when your crime rate matches ours...

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 08:58 AM
http://theconversation.com/why-your-brain-never-runs-out-of-problems-to-find-98990

Why do many problems in life seem to stubbornly stick around, no matter how hard people work to fix them? It turns out that a quirk in the way human brains process information means that when something becomes rare, we sometimes see it in more places than ever.

Think of a "neighborhood watch" made up of volunteers who call the police when they see anything suspicious. Imagine a new volunteer who joins the watch to help lower crime in the area. When they first start volunteering, they raise the alarm when they see signs of serious crimes, like assault or burglary.

Let's assume these efforts help and, over time, assaults and burglaries become rarer in the neighborhood. What would the volunteer do next? One possibility is that they would relax and stop calling the police. After all, the serious crimes they used to worry about are a thing of the past.

But you may share the intuition my research group had - that many volunteers in this situation wouldn't relax just because crime went down. Instead, they'd start calling things "suspicious" that they would never have cared about back when crime was high, like jaywalking or loitering at night.

You can probably think of many similar situations in which problems never seem to go away, because people keep changing how they define them. This is sometimes called "concept creep," or "moving the goalposts," and it can be a frustrating experience. How can you know if you're making progress solving a problem, when you keep redefining what it means to solve it? My colleagues and I wanted to understand when this kind of behavior happens, why, and if it can be prevented.

neighborhood watch
© Marc Bruxelle/Shutterstock.com
After violent crime starts going down, loiterers and jaywalkers may start to seem more threatening.
Looking for trouble

To study how concepts change when they become less common, we brought volunteers into our laboratory and gave them a simple task - to look at a series of computer-generated faces and decide which ones seem "threatening." The faces had been carefully designed by researchers to range from very intimidating to very harmless.

As we showed people fewer and fewer threatening faces over time, we found that they expanded their definition of "threatening" to include a wider range of faces. In other words, when they ran out of threatening faces to find, they started calling faces threatening that they used to call harmless. Rather than being a consistent category, what people considered "threats" depended on how many threats they had seen lately.

This kind of inconsistency isn't limited to judgments about threat. In another experiment, we asked people to make an even simpler decision: whether colored dots on a screen were blue or purple.

blue dots
© David Levari, CC BY-ND
As the context changes, so do the boundaries of your categories.
As blue dots became rare, people started calling slightly purple dots blue. They even did this when we told them blue dots were going to become rare, or offered them cash prizes to stay consistent over time. These results suggest that this behavior isn't entirely under conscious control - otherwise, people would have been able to be consistent to earn a cash prize.

Expanding what counts as immoral

After looking at the results of our experiments on facial threat and color judgments, our research group wondered if maybe this was just a funny property of the visual system. Would this kind of concept change also happen with non-visual judgments?

To test this, we ran a final experiment in which we asked volunteers to read about different scientific studies, and decide which were ethical and which were unethical. We were skeptical that we would find the same inconsistencies in these kind of judgments that we did with colors and threat.

Why? Because moral judgments, we suspected, would be more consistent across time than other kinds of judgments. After all, if you think violence is wrong today, you should still think it is wrong tomorrow, regardless of how much or how little violence you see that day.

But surprisingly, we found the same pattern. As we showed people fewer and fewer unethical studies over time, they started calling a wider range of studies unethical. In other words, just because they were reading about fewer unethical studies, they became harsher judges of what counted as ethical.

The brain likes to make comparisons

Why can't people help but expand what they call threatening when threats become rare? Research from cognitive psychology and neuroscience suggests that this kind of behavior is a consequence of the basic way that our brains process information - we are constantly comparing what is front of us to its recent context.

Instead of carefully deciding how threatening a face is compared to all other faces, the brain can just store how threatening it is compared to other faces it has seen recently, or compare it to some average of recently seen faces, or the most and least threatening faces it has seen. This kind of comparison could lead directly to the pattern my research group saw in our experiments, because when threatening faces are rare, new faces would be judged relative to mostly harmless faces. In a sea of mild faces, even slightly threatening faces might seem scary.

It turns out that for your brain, relative comparisons often use less energy than absolute measurements. To get a sense for why this is, just think about how it's easier to remember which of your cousins is the tallest than exactly how tall each cousin is. Human brains have likely evolved to use relative comparisons in many situations, because these comparisons often provide enough information to safely navigate our environments and make decisions, all while expending as little effort as possible.

Being consistent when it counts

Sometimes, relative judgments work just fine. If you are looking for a fancy restaurant, what you count as "fancy" in Paris, Texas, should be different than in Paris, France.
dog walking
© Louis Amal on Unsplash
What once seemed banal can be recategorized as a threat in a new context.
But a neighborhood watcher who makes relative judgments will keep expanding their concept of "crime" to include milder and milder transgressions, long after serious crimes have become rare. As a result, they may never fully appreciate their success in helping to reduce the problem they are worried about. From medical diagnoses to financial investments, modern humans have to make many complicated judgments where being consistent matters.

How can people make more consistent decisions when necessary? My research group is currently doing follow-up research in the lab to develop more effective interventions to help counter the strange consequences of relative judgment.

One potential strategy: When you're making decisions where consistency is important, define your categories as clearly as you can. So if you do join a neighborhood watch, think about writing down a list of what kinds of transgressions to worry about when you start. Otherwise, before you know it, you may find yourself calling the cops on dogs being walked without leashes.

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 08:49 AM
There's a strange confluence happening in Canada that is likely to alter the fate of all citizens across the country and leave an indelible mark upon the psyche of what was once considered a peaceful and friendly nation. A perfect storm is brewing of seemingly unrelated, but loosely connected events, that have transpired to increase tension and foment division between formerly amicable citizens in a profound and significant way.

Uncontrolled illegal mass immigration, along with the spectre of potential Islamic terrorism, combined with the forcible imposition of absurd and counter-productive neo-Marxist, social-justice inspired government policies, has resulted in a very public backlash recently, which has at times taken the form of several highly publicized incidents deemed as racially motivated "hate crimes" by Canada's progressive liberal media.

Contrary to all appearances, this confluence may not be merely an accidental and independent series of events, but is arguably a direct result of a deliberate and conscious plan by those in power to weaken national sovereignty and sow discord, mistrust and hostility between different groups of people. The signs are all there. It's time to put the pieces together...

No ID, No Visa, No Background Check, No Problem

In January of 2017, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau ostensibly threw open Canada's borders by tweeting a message to immigrants the world over that his government would gladly welcome in anyone claiming refugee status. The tweet was made in response to US President Donald Trump's executive order at the time, restricting immigration and temporarily limiting travel from 7 Muslim majority countries.

The tweet was generally praised by the mainstream media for being empathic and inclusive, touching on themes of tolerance and diversity, and containing all the proper SJW buzzwords that make those with diminished capacity for rational, nuanced thought feel really good about themselves. In reality however, it was a typically vainglorious and cynical move by the notoriously leftist PM, virtue signalling his moral superiority to the world by setting himself up in opposition to the evil Herr Trump.

Better known for his good looks and groovy socks than his towering intellect, Justin Trudeau appears to lack the foresight to understand the consequences of his actions. In one careless tweet, he not only opened the flood gates to allow hordes of illegal immigrants to claim asylum in Canada, but he himself could reasonably be held responsible for the inevitable public backlash that will follow.

Since Trudeau made that tweet in 2017, Canada's borders have been inundated with tens of thousands of so-called "asylum seekers", crossing over from the US, mostly into Quebec, with recent estimates of hundreds more crossing the border every day. At an estimated cost so far of 270 million taxpayer dollars, there is no end to the migrant crisis in sight, and thanks to Trudeau, illegal border crossers can now expect the RCMP to help carry their luggage for them! Once they land in Canada, they can use their newfound refugee status to become 'anchor relatives' and eventually bring over their entire extended family from overseas.
Screen shot immigration quote canada
© Global News
The fact of the matter remains that a vast majority (over 90%) of these illegal border crossers (now dubbed "irregular" migrants by the MSM) are not true refugees at all. They consist mostly of Haitians and Nigerians who crossed into Canada from the USA, hardly a war-torn or ****-hole country by modern standards, and many of them came into the US on regular tourist visas and are using Canada's porous border policy to jump the queue ahead of all other legitimate immigrant hopefuls.

This is not only grossly unfair, but could be seen as a slap in the face to those families who have struggled to apply fairly through the system and have invested $thousands and waited years to legally immigrate to Canada. Is it any wonder that a sizeable number of Chinese Canadians recently held a protest in Markham Ontario against the open border policies of Justin Trudeau?

More here http://www.sott.net/article/392889-Terrorism-Immigration-and-Racism-in-Canada-The-Backlash-has-Begun

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 08:22 AM

publically admitted that there WAS collusion between his presidential election campaign and the Russian government during the June 2016 meeting with the Russians in Trump Tower.

Federal campaign finance law clearly states "it is illegal for a foreign national to "directly or indirectly, make a contribution or a donation of money or other thing of value to a campaign.",and it is ALSO illegal "to accept help from a foreign government,or a foreign national to influenece an election".

Trump made the admission

What part is hard to understand?

I'm not saying Clinton should be made president, I'm saying the whole election was illegal and should be redone...NOW and Trump should go to jail.

I'm curious how long we citizens have to endure this stuff from the people we elect to represent us? Where the hell do we draw the line?
why should Trump go to jail? What was the contribution the Russians gave Trump Jr.? What law was broken? Trump owns a multi national corporation, some doesn't meet with foreign Nationals?

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 08:18 AM

After MONTHS of Donald Trump publically swearing that "there was no collusion",both in person,and in his twitter rants,Trump has changed his denials and publically admitted that there WAS collusion between his presidential election campaign and the Russian government during the June 2016 meeting with the Russians in Trump Tower.

Trump made the admission in a tweet on Sunday where he wrote that the purpose of the meeting between the Russians and his son,Don Jr,,his son in law,Jared Cushner,who is one of his senior advisors,and his then campaign chairmen Paul Manafort was "to get dirt on a political opponent",not "to talk about Russian adoptions",like the press release that Trump Sr. dictated for his son to give to the media from aboard air force one originally claimed.

Trump also claims that even though there WAS collusion,it is not against the law,even though Federal campaign finance law clearly states "it is illegal for a foreign national to "directly or indirectly, make a contribution or a donation of money or other thing of value to a campaign.",and it is ALSO illegal "to accept help from a foreign government,or a foreign national to influenece an election".

"Hard to see how there is not a serious case here of solicitation. Trump Jr. appears to have knowledge of the foreign source and is asking to see it," Rick Hasen, a campaign finance law expert, wrote. "Such information can be considered a 'thing of value' for purposes of the campaign finance law."

Trump has repeatedly expressed his desire to see the Mueller investigation into russian meddling in our elections shut down. On Wednesday, he tweeted that Attorney General Jeff Sessions — who recused himself last year from all matters related to the Justice Department investigation — should "stop this Rigged Witch Hunt right now, before it continues to stain our country any further."

It's unclear whether Trump's latest admission will affect Mueller's probe in any way. But, as NPR's Brian Naylor reports, if Mueller could prove Trump was aware of the meeting in advance, "or cast doubt on denials by Trump and Trump Jr., it would be a dramatic addition to Mueller's investigation into Russian election interference in the 2016 presidential race and collusion with them by the Trump campaign."

You have to wonder,though,since the main purpose of the Mueller investigation is to determine whether or not the Russians interfered in our elections,how they did it,and if there were any americans involved in it,why is trump so desperate and publically determined to try to get the investigation shut down if he is indeed innocent,like he keeps claiming that he is?

It seems like the desperation of his constant public denials in his tweets,and press statements,his determination to shut down Mueller's investigation at all costs,and his displeasure with attorney general Jeff Sessions for recusing himself from the case and putting deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein in charge of it is a public admission of his apparent guilt.

if shooting someone in central park won't cause his followers to bat an eye, and that was HIS assessment of them, which may be on the short list of things he is honest about ,,, what's a little back office negotiations with Russia gonna mean?

nada.

Many of those who are supporting him are dogged determined to support him NO MATTER WHAT. Politics, its the WHO, and not the WHAT.
funny you are saying this... who still supports the liberals after 8 years of lies? But whatever, ain't none of y'all will be happy till the nation is in shambles over something as petty as this...if it does happen, it's open season on liberals...

that is an ironically HILARIOUS thing for someone to claim,considering that trump has lied more in his FIRST MONTH in office than Obama did in 8 years,or any democrat EVER has!!
laugh

lol...that's not even close to being possible...
Obama - 1500+ verified lies
Trump - 0 verified lies

biggest sack of 'head up a load of shite' that has ever been posted online

evah!

rofl rofl rofl
I noticed you laughing, but I didn't notice ANYONE provingme wrong...

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 08:13 AM

Build the Wall!

No, not that one.

Build a wall around Chicago.
Allow no egress.

I saw those movies...

they were called 'escape from new york',and 'escape from L.A."

it didn't seem like they helped fix the government/the united states,cuz the same stuff was STILL going on.

I think the only thing it helped was kurt russel's career.

George Carlin also did a bit about something like that on one of his comedy specials..
I think that I liked HIS ideas better. lol
http://thedailybanter.com/issues/2013/09/09/11-profound-quotes-on-politics-by-george-carlin/

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 07:31 AM

The only issue I see with the proposals is that Chicago is singled out. though in raw numbers the violence is high, it is not close to the highest when accounting for the population in Chicago.

there are many cities with even more 'epidemic' rates per capita of violent crime. And if we put national guard in all those cities, its a pandora's box that could lead to an enforcement trend nationwide, which I would not want to see.

I think there have been other times that violence has spiked and somehow came back down and other places where violence has been curbed by measures beyond military efforts. Perhaps we can take some cues from what has already worked before to bring the numbers down, before resorting to military state, or cities.
no there's not...the only other city is new Orleans, the city that was made into the "chocolate city" after hurricane Rita hit.... And they don't have the ridiculous gun laws like Chicago...

A non-profit news outlet that focuses on gun coverage called The Trace, found that in gun violence per capita, Chicago isn’t even in the top 10 — or the top 15.

And here are the absolute worst: New Orleans is on top, followed by Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore and Oakland.

You have to go all the way down to number 18 to find Chicago, right behind Pittsburgh.

in other words, looking at raw numbers, a city having 100 murders seems worse than one that has 50

UNLESS

the former has a population of 10,000 and the latter only a population of 60... so the proportion to the population (per capita)matters when measuring severity from city to city.
oh phttt... Always a spin...new Orleans is number 1, Chicago is number 2... No per capita crap

no crap, just logic

a community where 50 percent are dying is worse off than one where 5 percent are, regardless of the raw numbers ...

dead is dead either way...30 - 40 people being shot every weekend doesn't mean we should cancel it out because they have a huge population...the per capita crap is just a liberal spin to keep their gun control fantasy alive a little longer, that's why they news media refuses to shed any light on how gun control doesn't work...40 people shot in one weekend vrs 5 from a smaller town... At the end of a year, over 2000 shot in Chicago vrs 260 in the smaller town...can you see where your logic is messed up?

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 07:15 AM
Not sure of the meaning of this, but Alex Jones was kicked off all the social media platforms yesterday, all except twitter closed all his accounts and removed his pages ..

mightymoe's photo
Tue 08/07/18 07:09 AM

Can there be intelligent creatures beyond Earth??
mathematically, the answer is yes...the milky way itself has over 100 billion stars in it, and it's estimated there's trillions of galaxies... But since the universe is so vast, we may never know...

mightymoe's photo
Mon 08/06/18 08:36 PM
I think there could have big bangs, not just one...I think the universe is eternal, always been here, always be here...the lives of planets, stars and even galaxies when destroyed just breed for new creations...ever think about when a black holes is full? Would it blow up? How would that compare to the big bang?

mightymoe's photo
Mon 08/06/18 08:30 PM
I don't consider the internet freedom of speech...way to many idiots saying way to many stupid things...

mightymoe's photo
Mon 08/06/18 08:25 PM

UNLESS

mightymoe's photo
Mon 08/06/18 06:53 PM

which is better for us gf/bf or one night stand
us? Is there a mouse in your shirtless pocket?

mightymoe's photo
Mon 08/06/18 06:48 PM

1 2 13 14 15 17 19 20 21 24 25