Community > Posts By > DonnyRover

DonnyRover's photo
Wed 04/29/15 02:44 AM
Victory - Megadeth
Scoob - I'm old fashioned still like to buy CD's. One of my mates thinks its hilarious as I have got a smart phone but I don't care. I like browsing in the metal section,it passes the time when I'm not working,lol.
waving

DonnyRover's photo
Mon 04/27/15 04:11 AM

Red or Dead

Ha ha Jaan, my team Celtic, will always be known as the first British team to win the European Cup, in 1967 though? Man Utd? The 2nd British team to do so the following year mate! C'mon the hoops! ha ha

In school at Lostock Secondary Modern
Our football kit was the hoops same as Celtic, Green an Whites
And our headmaster Warren Bradley
Played for MUFC after the Munich air crash

Edit:
If I had to choose between Celtic and Rangers...
I'd Choose Celtic lol

Like I've said before we had to pick a Scottish team at school so I picked ST Johnstone cos my aunties married name was Johnson? I've followed their results ever since.As for Man U they got chewed up like toffee yesterday,lol. As for my team Donny they will always be known as a team that never got into the European cup! they got into the conference and out again though, which is quite an achievement for Donny!

DonnyRover's photo
Mon 04/27/15 04:02 AM
Save Me - Queen
PS Scoob got Redeemer of Souls CD, Priest have still got it!!
:smile:

DonnyRover's photo
Mon 04/27/15 03:59 AM
Who could forget A Night at the Opera, starts off with Death on two legs and every songs a classic in its own right, especially Prophets song,Seaside Rendezvous and of course Bohemian Rhapsody

DonnyRover's photo
Mon 04/27/15 03:56 AM
Barcelona, only Freddie could pull that one off, helped by Monseratt Cabelle of course.

DonnyRover's photo
Sat 04/25/15 04:13 AM
Well that's it for another season, mid-table mediocrity for Donny.I hope Villa win the cup, always want the underdog,I also think Bayern will do Barcelona big style over two legs, they have the better defence when Pep gets it right

DonnyRover's photo
Sat 04/25/15 04:09 AM
Painkiller - Judas Priest

DonnyRover's photo
Fri 04/24/15 04:32 AM
The Black Dahlia Murders - Everblack

DonnyRover's photo
Fri 04/24/15 04:30 AM

I like your line about bands having a sound but not much artistry. I also agree with your choice of AC?DC. You can throw Status Quo into that category, and I would argue that Maiden do that to a certain extent. Pop Music now is sterile regurgitated pap.Simon Cowell has a lot to answer too.Bands who self indulge a bit have a core following, Slipknot for example without the advantage of being played on mainstream TV and Radio. Oh how I hate thee Cowell!!

AC/DC has been playing the same song for the past 35 years... laugh

Yep but the irony of it all is if you have read or listened To Angus Young interviews he would disagree with that statement

DonnyRover's photo
Fri 04/24/15 04:27 AM
Bohemian Rhapsody, a mini rock opera all on its own.

DonnyRover's photo
Fri 04/24/15 04:24 AM
Love Kills - Freddie Mercury

DonnyRover's photo
Thu 04/23/15 03:04 AM

I think the kinks suffered from a combination of problems. Ray Davies was/is an a hole and kind of a weirdo. They didn't have the "cute" or "bad boy" image. They just looked like factory workers. They have an odd name, like and unfinished product. Also they never had great songs.

You're partially right on two out of four. Not bad. :thumbsup:

1) Ray Davies is an a-hole, but since when has that ever stopped commercial success in the music business? See Mick Jagger...

2) Image was a small factor. You are thinking in terms of 2015 not 1965. In 1965 image played a role, but talent was the overriding factor. These days image is pretty much the only factor.

3) The name?! whoa

4) Your opinion on their songs is duly noted. shades

Here are the main reasons for The Kinks not having the overwhelming commercial success, in the USA, they should have enjoyed:

1) They were banned from touring here 1966-1972. These were the all important touring years for the legendary British musical acts like The Who, Led Zeppelin, and The Stones as well as many homegrown American rock and rollers.

2) They were the most quintessentially British group of all the popular British invasion bands. In other words, Americans just did not "get them." Their songs are interwoven with imagery and references that reflect where they are from.

Americans tend to judge other cultures by American standards... If something does not fit into their Americentrism they will reject it rather then trying to understand.

3) They tended to go against the grain of what was trending in music at any particular time. For instance, some say that "You Really Got Me" was the beginning of hard rock/heavy metal. The Kinks played this sort of music for a couple of years. However, by 1967 when hard rock and psychedelic music were taking over the Kinks went mellow and acoustic.

Ray Davies was a maverick even by the standards of the day. Some groups (See AC/DC) have a sound. They play the same music over and over. There is comfort for the fans and a lot of money, but not much in the way of true artistry.

4) Lastly, the conflict between the Davies brothers created problems when it came to recording new material. This has been well documented and needs no further explanation.

ETA: One other factor I failed to mention is that Ray Davies always despised stadium venues. He much preferred more intimate venues which gave him the opportunity to interact with the audience.

I like your line about bands having a sound but not much artistry. I also agree with your choice of AC?DC. You can throw Status Quo into that category, and I would argue that Maiden do that to a certain extent. Pop Music now is sterile regurgitated pap.Simon Cowell has a lot to answer too.Bands who self indulge a bit have a core following, Slipknot for example without the advantage of being played on mainstream TV and Radio. Oh how I hate thee Cowell!!

DonnyRover's photo
Thu 04/23/15 02:56 AM
We're not gonna take it -Twisted Sister

DonnyRover's photo
Thu 04/23/15 02:54 AM
Velouria - Pixies

DonnyRover's photo
Wed 04/22/15 03:48 AM
Fool in the rain

DonnyRover's photo
Wed 04/22/15 03:48 AM
Fool in the rain

DonnyRover's photo
Wed 04/22/15 03:46 AM
Dead Cities by Exploited was a classic punk song, the woman behind the counter sniggered when I asked for it, must have been because I didn't look anything like a punk?

DonnyRover's photo
Wed 04/22/15 03:43 AM
Picture this - Blondie

DonnyRover's photo
Wed 04/22/15 03:40 AM
Victoria, I also like the Falls cover of it too!

DonnyRover's photo
Sat 04/18/15 04:26 AM

mayweather vs pacquiao fight on May 2nd...............huge prize money gonna be offered for both the fighters.............is termed as the 'superfight'. Mayweather have fought 47 times and have won all his bouts. he wud be tested. Pacquiao has nothing to loose. Eagerly waiting for the fight.

n towards the end of may we have jones vs johnson match.......gr8 month indeed

Trouble is with some of these big fights, the hype is better than the fight itself

1 2 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 24 25