Community > Posts By > boo2u

no photo
Fri 10/16/09 12:27 PM

I do not knowyour situation, wether you are referring to if a PASTOR or PRIEST can choose not to marry a gay couple etc. but in this case, you can not legally choose to not marry a black adult to a white adult simply because they are black and white. it has nothing to do with religion. Also, in this particular case, iot is not a religion signing the certificate it is a justice of the peace, which is a government office, not a religious office. Which again dictates he can not choose who he does nad does not marry, so long as the marriage itself is legal in teh state of Louissianna.

That is what I was wondering, if the justice of the peace is a government thing, they can't descrimnate can they? Oh wait, they can if your a gay couple, forgot about the checking of the plumbing first.. argh

Anyway I just thought if it was a government thing they could not legally do that. Of course of justice of the peace is just a title and anyone can be one then they can be as creepy as they like. Grin!

no photo
Fri 10/16/09 10:30 AM

Actually, come to think of it, people are going to judge him as harshly as he judges others. What goes around comes around.

I'm waiting for someone to say that he doesn't judge others, or something similar. laugh

Any bets? No wait, I can't afford any bets this month. LOL

no photo
Fri 10/16/09 08:36 AM

no, it is a general statement...

posting articles without any opinion attached is ineffectual.

thanks for adding your input

Actually I normally do add an opinion. You guys are so impatient. Gimme some time will ya.. :laughing: It takes me a bit of time just to post the article, include the link... I usually add the response with in it, but if I have more to say then just one sentence I take my some time to think about it first then add it as a response. You just didn't give me enough time. :wink:

no photo
Fri 10/16/09 08:12 AM

Is it mandatory that he marry everyone?

I can pick and chose who I perform ceremonies for, why can't he?

I don't know if it is mandatory, wasn't really thinking about that part of it. Interesting question though. Wouldn't he be obligated as a Justice of the Peace, or no? I really don't know the answer to that question. It's not a private business or is it?

no photo
Fri 10/16/09 08:09 AM

If you spend your days looking for something that offends you, you will find it!

You talking to me? I don't spend my days searching for things that might offend me. Hell I do that in one click of my Mingle politics bookmark.. Grin! Takes me no time at all, and I still have the rest of the day to do other things. :tongue: :laughing:

I just didn't hear the whole news piece and thought I would look it up on line to see what it was about.

no photo
Fri 10/16/09 08:06 AM
Actually, come to think of it, people are going to judge him as harshly as he judges others. What goes around comes around.

no photo
Fri 10/16/09 08:04 AM
Edited by boo2u on Fri 10/16/09 08:04 AM

51% of Democrats wanted George Bush to fail. Why should they now judge Rush Limbaugh so harshly for feeling the same way about Obama?

People can think anything they want. I can only speak for myself.

no photo
Fri 10/16/09 07:48 AM
Just heard it on the news and looked it up online because I just caught the last part of the news item.

I do think it's a bit strange in this day and age. Though I am very aware of how slowly we as humans change.

I mean this is one guy refusing to marry interracial couples. It's not like we don't already have millions upon millions of bi-racial children who already have bi-racial children of their own. Just very strange to me.

I also never understood how one says they are not racist, yet they don't want mixing. Makes no sense to me. So what, we never bother to evolve socially because some people can't handle bi-racial children or adults. I think some folks should really get over their archaic thinking. It's a poor excuse that children are harmed by it. Children are harmed in many ways, but that is the least of a childs problems.. Maybe I am missing something.

Especially now, President Obama is a good example of how NOT a problem it is if we as human beings give up our hang ups. NO?

no photo
Fri 10/16/09 07:35 AM
Justice of the Peace Will Not Marry Interracial Couples

Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

Insisting he is no racist, a Louisiana Justice of the Peace refused to marry an inter-racial couple, and says this is a matter of principle with him.

He points out that the children of such unions are often rejected by both families.

The bride to be, the Caucasian, is to enter a graduate program in minority studies. To say she is perplexed is an understatement. She plans to file a complaint.

NEW ORLEANS — A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.
"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Bardwell estimates that he has refused to marry about four couples during his career, all in the past 2 1/2 years.

Beth Humphrey, 30, and 32-year-old Terence McKay, both of Hammond, say they will consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.

Humphrey, an account manager for a marketing firm, said she and McKay, a welder, just returned to Louisiana. She is white and he is black. She plans to enroll in the University of New Orleans to pursue a masters degree in minority politics.

"That was one thing that made this so unbelievable," she said. "It's not something you expect in this day and age."
Article here

no photo
Fri 10/16/09 07:33 AM
Edited by boo2u on Fri 10/16/09 07:37 AM
I thought I would read an earlier link that Spider posted. At the end of the article Rush says:

'these guys get validated, everybody wants to stand out, they want to get endorsement deals and so forth. So television, making stars out of people who engage in classless behavior helps lead to it and contribute to it. No question in my mind about it.'

I find this interesting when Rush is so very often classless himself. And he makes millions with his nauseating comments. For me, he doesn't even have to say anything directly racist to be grossly mean spirited and ugly.

But you know what, we are never going to see eye to eye on this, because those who like him love his kind of sarcasm and comments, so they are not phased by the way he frames things. No one has proved to me yet that he is absolutely a racist, but he is so distasteful he brings controversy on himself. People are much more outrageous today and behave badly, but so does he. And he knows damn well that it makes him money, and as he admitted himself that is his baby.

To me this is karma, he made a mockery of Obama going as far as wanting him to fail. Interesting that he know failed himself. Funny it never would have crossed my mind to say that I would want Rush to fail. Maybe he should have thought about his own words. He has gotten to full of himself he really thought nothing could stop him from doing anything he wanted.

no photo
Fri 10/16/09 06:00 AM

She ain't the only one Boo!!! flowerforyou

Why you little rascal. :tongue:

no photo
Thu 10/15/09 11:12 PM

Oh hell not worth responding to.
:thumbsup: yeah,what the insurance cartels are doing right now is worse than any of thatflowerforyou

What's disgusting to me is that it's twisted information. i have already heard what the guy has really said for a few days now when he is interviewed.

http://robertreich.blogspot.com/

Interesting. A mock exercise for a poly sci class and he played the part of a politically incorrect politician.

Ya interesting huh

no photo
Thu 10/15/09 11:00 PM
By Robert Reich

The health-insurance industry has finally revealed itself for what it is.

Insurers hate the idea that's emerged from the Senate Finance Committee of lowering penalties on younger and healthier people who don't buy insurance. Relying on an analysis by PricewaterhouseCoopers, insurers say this means new enrollees will be older and less healthy -- which will drive up costs. And, says the industry, these costs will be passed on to consumers in the form of higher premiums. Proposed taxes on high-priced "Cadillac" policies will also be passed on to consumers. As a result, premiums will rise faster and higher than the government projects.

It's an eleventh-hour bombshell.

But the bomb went off under the insurers. The only reason these costs can be passed on to consumers in the form of higher premiums is because there's not enough competition among private insurers to force them to absorb the costs by becoming more efficient. Get it? Health insurers have just made the best argument yet about why a public insurance option is necessary.

Right now they run their markets and set their prices, and pass on any increased costs directly to consumers. That's what they're threatening to do if the legislation attempts to squeeze, even slightly, the colossal profits they plan to make off of thirty million new paying customers.

They want every penny of those profits. They demand every cent. And if the government dares raise their costs a tad higher than they expected when they first signed on to support the bill, they'll pass those costs on to consumers in the form of higher premiums. They can carry out their threat only because they have unaccountable, untrammeled market power.

But they've now hoisted themselves on their own insured petard. They've exposed themselves. If they had to compete with a public insurance plan, they couldn't get away with this threat. They couldn't pass on the extra costs. They'd have to compete with a public insurance option that forced them to give consumers the best deals possible.

Now's the time for Congress and the White House to say to the insurance industry: You want to play hardball? Okay. We'll play it, too. You didn't want a public insurance option. That was one of your conditions for supporting the bill. You wanted gigantic profits from having thirty million new paying customers and the market to yourself. The Senate Finance Committee and the White House agreed because they wanted your support and were afraid of the negative ads and hurricane of opposition you could finance. But you're even greedier than we imagined. And now you've demonstrated that greed to the American people. They don't want to turn over even more of their hard-earned money to you. So, insurance companies, we've got news for you. We're going to make sure Americans have the freedom to choose a public insurance option that's cheaper and better, and you're going to have to work hard to keep them your customers.

from Robert Reich's Blog

no photo
Thu 10/15/09 10:48 PM

pathetic..

Yes it is quite pathetic isn't it. I agree.

no photo
Thu 10/15/09 10:44 PM
Edited by boo2u on Thu 10/15/09 10:47 PM

:thumbsup: yeah,what the insurance cartels are doing right now is worse than any of thatflowerforyou

What's disgusting to me is that it's twisted information. i have already heard what the guy has really said for a few days now when he is interviewed.

http://robertreich.blogspot.com/

no photo
Thu 10/15/09 10:32 PM
Edited by boo2u on Thu 10/15/09 10:36 PM

no photo
Thu 10/15/09 10:24 PM

shocked rant

Geez Winx, how come you went and stole my sign? :laughing:

How come there is a whole thread of your sign? Are ya talking to yourself?laugh

Actually it might be cuz I'm talking too much? LOL

no photo
Thu 10/15/09 10:20 PM

shocked rant

Geez Winx, how come you went and stole my sign? :laughing:

no photo
Thu 10/15/09 10:19 PM

:smile: In 45 states insurance companies want to force women to be sterilized before they will provide coverage:smile:

Oh my god, i heard that today, a woman testifying to congress that her insurance company said they would help her if she was sterilized. Oh sure we have the best system in the world, right now. Ya right..

You have got to be kidding me.:angry:
:smile: So much for leaving it up to the states to protect their people.:smile: They are bought and sold by the insurance cartels:smile:

Oh ya, I was hearing about that today as well. Now I know why insurers are really threatened by all the bills right now, but also know why they have become such a monopoly. Guess they hoped we wouldn't be all that interested in what's going on.

no photo
Thu 10/15/09 09:45 PM

I also think that credit cards encourage implusive and sometimes reckless spending because they are not 'real' money. You know that when you surrender your currency to buy something, you get instant feedback that you have less of it after a transaction. It serves to make you aware that you worked X amount of hours to get Y amount of currency. That in and of itself encourages thrift. Instant gratification sometimes makes you forget that other part of the equation.

-Kerry O.

I hear you... I do use a debit with a local bank, cost me nothing to use it and I always know I can not spend more than I have. You really get so used to it, and used to thrift, it is just habit now. And boy am I glad of that because when the bad economy hit I was far less affected then people around me.

1 2 3 4 6 8 9 10 24 25