Community > Posts By > boo2u

no photo
Mon 10/19/09 11:49 AM

That's a girl? shocked

You can't tell she's a girl?

no photo
Mon 10/19/09 08:33 AM
By Chris Joyner, USA TODAY

JACKSON, Miss. — Veronica Rodriguez describes her daughter, 17-year-old Ceara Sturgis, as "a perfect child": a straight-A student, a goalie on the soccer team, a trumpet player in the band and active in Students Against Destructive Decisions.

Sturgis also is gay and feels more comfortable in boys' clothes, her mother says. So Rodriguez supported her daughter's decision to wear a tuxedo, rather than the drape customary for girls, when she had her senior portrait made in July. Now she is battling officials at Wesson Attendance Center in the Copiah County (Miss.) School District. Rodriguez said she received a letter from the school in August stating that only boys could wear tuxedos and have since refused to include the photo in the school yearbook.

The conflict is one of several this year involving how school districts handle cross-dressing students.

"The yearbook is not for the parents or the teachers. It's for the students," Rodriguez said. "She's not a troublemaker. She is gay."

Superintendent Ricky Clopton said the school district's attorney has assured him they are within their rights to exclude the photo.

Sturgis said she has received support from classmates and people around the nation. "It's really an amazing feeling," she said.

The Mississippi chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union warned the district that they are violating Sturgis' constitutionally protected freedom of expression, legal director Kristy Bennett said.

Candace Gingrich of the Human Rights Campaign, which advocates on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues, said it is not uncommon for LGBT students to clash with school officials on this issue. "It's a matter of self-expression," she said. Other school conflicts this year:

• In Waldorf, Md., a Westlake High senior was denied the option of wearing a tuxedo for her yearbook photo. Her mother complained, and the school reversed the decision after discovering other schools had allowed it, schools spokeswoman Katie O'Malley-Simpson said.

• In Dunnellon, Fla., a 16-year-old boy was sent home in March for violating Marion County School District dress code by wearing makeup, high-heeled boots and a bra. The policy on the district website states that students must dress "in keeping with their gender." Kathy Richardson, of the school district, said the boy's cross-dressing was an isolated event.

• In Lebanon, Ind., school officials in March reversed a ban on cross-dressing when a female senior decided to wear a tux to the prom. The girl sued the district, but the issue was settled when a "gender-neutral" policy was adopted. "We were OK with making that switch," Lebanon High Principal Kevin O'Rourke said.

In Sturgis' case, the deadline for yearbook photos was Sept. 30. Rodriguez hopes the school will reconsider.

Contributing: Marquita Brown. Joyner and Brown report for The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Miss.

Article here http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-18-yearbook-photo-lesbian_N.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gotta admire her guts, though it seems she is having more trouble with adults than her class mates.

no photo
Mon 10/19/09 08:04 AM
h1n1 flue mist is here in my town. Right now only for ages 20 to 49 with certain groups getting it first, health care workers, children I think......

My age comes later. No one being forced.... From what I can see so far people are getting it.

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 10:02 PM

The majority is not opposing Obama so you are wrong there.

you must being living in a dream world...this guy is in trouble...as of this night...right now...he is without a doubt...the worse president in this countries history...and that includes Jimmy Carter...there are more Americans scratching there heads...saying..." this is NOT the change I voted for "...he is history !!!

You have the bigger than thou art syndrom too huh??? LOL

You didn't seriously think those two would admit Obama was doing well did you? Even if it was clear to them they wouldn't admit it, they are too invested in his failing than anything else.

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 09:40 PM
Edited by boo2u on Sun 10/18/09 09:43 PM

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 09:17 PM

Oh for cryin out loud.

Wanna know what the uproar is about??

THE FREAKIN GREEN CARD!!!

Without that addition, it's just a damn funny joke costume.

But because there are several MILLION people in this country illegally ( ie : no green card ) target HAS to back down and pull the costume because someone in this country illegally might get offended.

Citizens are offended by it too.

Those citizens who think about other humans feelings do anyway.

It's not fashionable to be concerned with the feelings of others these days.

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 09:13 PM

Even Chihuahua's can bite as you have said, but it's still all about training and being consistent.

Here's my pit/mix and chihuahua. I guarantee you I will bite before they do. :laughing:

Too cute, love the picture. Sending a smooch winging their way. Lovely kissy faces.

Thanks..

The lab/pit has a new home on a fence 10 acre farm with another white sheperd (also a rescue) that was very shy and needed a buddy. I still miss her, but she's got more room to run than I could give her and she's happy to have another larger dog to play with. I still have Munch who is the 2 years old chihuahua in the picture, who now has another rescued black chihuahua to play with. I love animals, sadly here we have no laws that force people to be responsible for their pets, so therefore they aren't in too many cases. I've taken in at least 15 dogs in the last 3 1/2 years and found them permanent homes. Very sad because I can't take them all in. Most of the strays are larger dogs, pit mixes are quite often the larger number of rescues here.

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 06:57 PM

Sheriff: Boy-in-balloon was hoax, charges expected

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – The story that a little boy had floated away in a giant helium balloon was a hoax concocted to land a reality television show, authorities said Sunday, and the boy's parents will likely face felony charges.

The stunt two weeks in the planning was a marketing ploy by Richard and Mayumi Heene, who met in acting school in Hollywood and have appeared on the ABC reality show "Wife Swap," Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden said. The Heenes have reportedly been working on a reality TV deal in Los Angeles.

Investigators are examining the possibility of other conspirators, "including the possibility that even some of the media outlets may have had some knowledge about this," Alderden said.

Documents show that a media outlet has agreed to pay money to the Heenes with regards to the balloon incident, Alderden said. He didn't name the media outlet, but said it was a show that blurs "the line between entertainment and news." It wasn't clear whether the deal was signed before or after the alleged hoax, or whether that media outlet was a possible conspirator.

Alderden did not name an outlet or provide any details.

"Let's call it (my statement) short of speculation that a media outlet was in on the hoax, but let's not discount the possibility," he said.

Six-year-old Falcon Heene may not have even been hiding in the rafters of the family's garage during the intense five-hour search for him Thursday, Alderden said.

"For all we know he may have been two blocks down the road playing on the swing in the city park," the sheriff said.

The stunt temporarily shut down Denver International Airport and caused the National Guard to scramble two helicopters in an attempt to rescue the boy, who was believed to be inside the flying-saucer shaped homemade balloon that hurtled more than 50 miles across two counties.

The drama played out on live television to millions of viewers worldwide. When the balloon landed without the boy in it, officials thought he had fallen out and began grim search for his body.

In fact, the balloon — which was held together with duct tape — would not have been able to launch with the 37-pound-boy inside, Colorado State University physics professor Brian Jones has determined.

The parents weren't under arrest, the sheriff said. He said he expected to recommend charges of conspiracy, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, making a false report to authorities and attempting to influence a public servant. Federal charges were also possible.

The most serious charges are felonies and carry a maximum sentence of six years in prison and a $500,000 fine. Alderden said they would be seeking restitution for the costs, though he didn't have an estimate.

The cost for just the two military helicopters was about $14,500.

Richard and Mayumi Heene were shopping for snacks at Wal-Mart with their three sons as Alderden told reporters that the whole thing was a hoax.

Richard Heene told The Associated Press he was "seeking counsel."

"This thing has become so convoluted," Heene said as tears welled in his eyes. He said his wife was holding together better than he was.

The couple's attorney, David Lane, issued a statement later Sunday saying the Heenes were willing to voluntarily turn themselves in to face charges. Lane said he advised the family against making public statements.

The sheriff said all three of the Heenes' sons knew of the hoax, but likely won't face charges because of their ages. The oldest son is 10. One of the boys told investigators he saw his brother get in the balloon's box before it launched.

Heene, 48, a storm chaser and inventor, has described himself as an amateur scientist, but Alderden said Heene has only a high school education.

"He may be nutty, but he's not a professor," Alderden said.

Alderden said that during the drama, the family's actions led them to believe the story was genuine. But during an interview on CNN Thursday night, Alderden said investigators had an "aha" moment when Falcon turned to his dad and said what sounded like "you had said we did this for a show" when asked why he didn't come out of his hiding place.

On Friday, Falcon got sick during two separate TV interviews when asked again why he hid.

Alderden said they didn't question the family Friday because they wanted to keep the family's cooperation by maintaining the appearance that they believed their story. Richard Heene was asked to stop by the sheriff's office under the pretext that he needed to pick up his balloon, and was questioned once he got there.

With Heene gone, other investigators went to the house. Alderden said they were looking for computers, e-mails, phone records and financial records.

Records show that police have responded to the house at least twice in the past year, including a possible domestic violence incident in February. No charges were filed.

Alderden said officials tried Saturday to persuade Mayumi Heene, 45, to go to a safe house, but she declined.

"We talked to her at length about domestic violence, about her safety, about her children's safety," the sheriff said. "We have a concern, but we didn't have enough that would allow us or child protective services to physically take the kids from that environment."

Alderden said the children were still with the parents Sunday morning, and child protective services had been contacted to investigate the children's well-being.

"Clearly, from all indications, Mr. Heene has somewhat of a temper," Alderden said.

As to the hoax that could end up with one or both in prison:

"It certainly got big and whether anybody realized it that it would get the type of international media attention, I suspect this is probably beyond what they thought," Alderden said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091019/ap_on_re_us/us_balloon_boy

Thanks Tj. Damn it gets more crazy by the minute. Still feel bad for those kids, and what they will have to go through now because of their parents.

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 06:47 PM
That's strange. The sheriff had a news conference. He said himself that it turns out it was a hoax but he was not able to discuss what he knew. Oh well we shall find out soon enough.

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 06:24 PM
It stops when we stop being so immature as a country.

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 05:45 PM
Even Chihuahua's can bite as you have said, but it's still all about training and being consistent.

Here's my pit/mix and chihuahua. I guarantee you I will bite before they do. :laughing:

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 05:23 PM
Anyone ever think that the Majority in this country is beginning to feel what it's like to be a minority? Just curious..

One day soon, whites in this very country will be the minority. Best hope that new majority doesn't feel about you the way you felt about them.

It's not very smart to be so obnoxious about our disaproval of minority groups. Making more enemies surely never brought people together.

What kind of person feels the need to make a costume like this?

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 01:39 PM

police are now saying that criminal charges are imminent after the son let slip on larry king that they did it for the show

no link?

I saw it on the news, the face of the father after the kid said what he did was priceless. I feel bad for that kid..

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 12:22 PM

police are now saying that criminal charges are imminent after the son let slip on larry king that they did it for the show
:smile: I still dont know.:smile: seems a bit of a stretch.:smile: Although the kid and dad seem like they might be idiots:smile:

The kid is just a kid, but I do think the dad is an idiot to think the kid would not just spit out what he thought. Did you see the Dad squirm right after the kid said that? All his dad thought about was the publicty while his kid was throwing up from the stress. The video of the parents letting the balloon loose was the turning point for me.

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 12:18 PM

yes they should. in fact they should be put down, the ones that have killed people bc i have been attacked by one and now i have this fear of dogs that i have never had before. i cannot be around large size dogs without feeling very uneasy all because of this terrible experience.

I'm sorry you had that experience. I too was attacked by sheperds as I said in my previous post, but after a few years I got over that, though I am far more aware too, so in a way I learned from the experience not to automatically trust a dog in any situation.

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 12:17 PM

Simply question...Should they and if so why?

I say Yes bc, this breed is and has been agressive in nature for many years. Also this breed has too much of a history of being incontrollable. I know that some may say "Bad owners create bad dogs" but, that argument only goes so far, I think.
Any thoughts?

Actually I have said that bad owners create bad dogs, in most cases. Neglected dogs are dangerous too. I have had mixed breeds, two lab/pits that were wonderful dogs, but I was very careful to train one of them, the other was not trained but well taken care of. Both were loveable as hell.

I see lots of pits here in tennessee. Lots of them are strays and meet up with other strays, and that is dangerous thing. I see many being used for protection, tied to trees and forced to be mean. That is irresponsible. I also see full breed pits with children and family's that take very good care of them and they are no problem at all.

I just think that often people don't know how to care for a pit, and don't us common sense. For instance I would never trust ANY dog around small children. A month or so ago I watched as two small children abused a tiny puppy and in doing so broke it's leg, which has not properly healed because the owner didn't bother to take it to the vet. The two kids next door that harmed the dog probably didn't learn a lesson either because the parents didn't bother to enlighten them. I would never trust any dog with a new born and yet people do all the time. It's the ignorance of people themselves that cause most cases of problems with all dogs.

I have a good friend that has two very large german shepards that are wonderful around everyone. But I myself was attacked by german sheperds used to protect a home I was working in. Should sheperds be banned too? I think all dogs can be dangerous under certain circumstances.

I would not have a pit anymore, only because I am older and I am not as quick as I used to be, so a dog that powerful is too much for me, yet people often get dogs not suited to them.

I don't know the answer, I don't think banning them will work either. Another dog will replace them in the ban list instead.

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 11:56 AM

From the start I said it was a hoax as I did not believe the parents and the whole story had too many holes in it such as how did the boy get there, a long time for the boy to be hiding for doing nothing wrong, the recovery of the balloon......etc . The Authorities were dumb ***** to have believed the father and mother but from the interviews....etc it became clear it was a hoax . I hope the parents will be jailed for this mischievous claim and all the resources wasted . The parents are nuts to say the least .

Personally I feel for those kids. I don't think jailing the parents is helpful but I do think they should pay for what they did in some way with out making their kids suffer for what they did.

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 11:54 AM

I think a lot of it is they just want someone to fork over all the money for the manpower and time.

The three blackhawk helicopters used run at $1450 an hour, they were in the air for 3 hours a piece.

The Commanche helicopter (police helicopter) costs about $750 an hour to run, 4 hours air time.

The Cesna airplane that followed the ballon, cheap at only $70 an hour.

Then you add patrol cars, individual officers that could have been used better by just being in traffic, the fact that they mobilized some National Guardsmen, you know that someone has to get blamed.

Me, I don't know why they had this big saucer ballon to begin with, but I find it hare to believe that the parents were in on it. I'm thinking the kids were playing, and the one that was hiding in the attic was probably the one that cut loose the teather. He figured he was in real trouble and hid. As a child I'd of done the same.

In situations of hoax, the state will be required to prove malice of for thought. I don't think that this would be the case here.

Of course I've been wrong before.

Actually that is what I originally thought myself until it showed video of that parents launching the thing themselves, and then the kid accidentally telling the truth and the father really freaked out then. He was stumbling all over the place trying to fix that one. At this point in time I find the parents lied, mostly I think the father, the rest did as the father instructed.

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 09:52 AM

Well, actually, now, God is judging Ted. And as far as the Mary Jo ACCIDENT thing, that was investigated years ago. Makes me wonder,how much penance does one have to serve? He spent his life's work for the little man, for the less fortunate. Very often, with time and age comes wisdom.

"with time and age comes wisdom."
Does that condone what one did when they were younger?

I am very differant than I was in my younger days. Just how far back do you want to go, TJ? 5 years old 6 years old. Can no one change over a life time?

no photo
Sun 10/18/09 08:56 AM
Has anyone even seen Obama lose his cool? Yet we see Rush do that often. This whole chip on his shoulder thing has been repeated zillions of times since the campaigns. Who even cares anymore.

1 2 4 6 7 8 9 24 25