Community > Posts By > Pansytilly

no photo
Sun 09/13/15 11:02 PM

oops Here's what happened, Jesusmyall and Pansytilly...

Everybody has heard the phrase, "Holy Hanna !" or "Holy Dinah !"

I'd remembered the story about Shechem and Dinah, but for some reason I'd remembered one of Sampson's wives, Delilah.

Pansytilly has emphasised the point I was trying to get across to IamwhoIam1.

I'm wondering if the Jewish community actually sees this as a good recourse of actions from the past ? noway

Did Delilah actually become Samson's wife? I know he married a Philistine long before Delilah... Judges 14

no photo
Sun 09/13/15 09:55 PM

Y'all gonna burn in hell devil surprised drinks

Y'all should read your bible. Then Y'all would know what it says.

Yes but not everyone here is Christian so why would they read the Bible

Do other religions believe in Hell fire?

Not sure. Do atheists? Buddhists? Wiccan?

no, atheists do not... why should i live my life being scared of burning forever? seems that if there is a god, it would have better things to do than worrying about me, you know, with the entire universe and all...

Kinda like a dad who's too busy with work and stuff to concern himself with his kid's welfare?

no photo
Sun 09/13/15 08:04 PM

If Karma is justice then if you don't wear a seat belt and get killed in an accident would that be righteous?
Or am I confusing it with something now

Or is it only karma when it suits you?

Sure, things you do might bite you in the *** eventually... or it might not.
If you do something wrong, but have discovered a pattern in the consequences of whatever immoral action you've committed you would be able to make a plan for it.
doesn't that mean you've beat karma?
Then things that goes around apparently won't come around anymore, or they will but you won't notice it do to your plan.
I think people make these plans as they go in life and eventually it becomes routine.
I can imagine a lot of scenarios where this might play out like parents being overprotective of their abusive and uncontrollable child.

If someone does something wrong to you, do you leave the punishing/policing to the great camera in the sky and do nothing or do you take matters into your own hands?

Apparently, karma has slightly differing concepts according to which school of thought it was developed from.
But it seeks to answer questions of causality in connection to justice, transferability of accountability and psychologic indeterminacy or predetermined destiny vs free will. And these concepts can either be for personal consumption or can transcend several lifetimes.

-----------------

The corollary to your question is
If someone does something wrong to you (or a loved one), how faithfully are you willing to let God's justice prevail, or how far are you willing to go by taking matters in your own hands?

I really admire your writing, Pansytilly.

Yes. How far are you willing to go believing that your god will give you justice?
I understand the logic behind it because you're powerless in most situations (despite what movies have taught us).
What better comfort than being told that they will get theirs eventually. But they wont.
It's just from my experience what goes around doesn't really come around at all. In fact things just keep getting worse and worse. once a really bad thing happens, things just go down hill.
People get away with the worst of things because they've done it sooooo many times before. They know how to get out of anything.
Of course you can't expect a bolt of lightning to come crashing down upon those who wronged you from a pissed off god in the clouds.
But then again you can't really expect anything.
All you have is whatever little amount of wit you have left and in my opinion it's up to you to use it.

It seems to me like people cherry pick whatever kind of karma that suits them, whilst ignoring the ones that contradict. And then they speak of justice.

God is God, but the gods you are referring to seem to be what you make of them.
Some people see themselves as gods as well. Some treat money as god, some reputation, some pride...etc etc. the very thing that you serve and protect at all costs is your god. But this is not a pissing contest as to "my god is better than yours" ...lol...

For me, it is irresponsible to think that God will smite your enemies for your personal satisfaction. He made the world with order and because of sin, we people messed it up. So, it is up to us to clean up the mess the best way we can... Not everyone likes the idea of cleaning up messes...so yeah, people tend to get away with the worst and cruelest possible things.
He can intervene if He wants to, how He wants to, but in His time and reason, not ours. It's not something that He "owes" us. So again, yes...its not like we can expect something that we want Him to do to happen the way we want it to happen. We're not the boss of Him...lol...

Justice is never often absolute in one lifetime. That's probably why people cherry-picks what fits according to what is understood, when we don't have the entire picture (history, motivation, intent, circumstance, actions) of what really happened.

There are a few types of people in the world in reference to a higher power ( being or universe )

Those that truly believe, follow and put their faith in a higher power
Those that use the concept of a higher power to justify themselves
Those that live how they want to live while recognizing a higher power
Those that believe in themselves and do not believe in a higher power
Those that are searching for what to believe in

Practically speaking, no one can judge who is better or worse off than the other. We can only judge ourselves on the choices we make and the situations we are in.

no photo
Sun 09/13/15 07:29 PM

" How people treat you is there Karma. How you react is yours " By taking revenge you create your own Karma

What about the concept of inherited karma ?

I don't believe in "inherited Karma" I believe we create out own Karma. If you surround yourself with toxic people your life will be toxic.

If you believe in karma, but dont believe in inherited karma, then is it safe to say that you dont believe in reincarnation? That your karma only affects you and not others?

Not sure about reincarnation. I would like to I think but not enough evidence either way. I just believe life is what you make it.
If reincarnation is real then I would hope to start off with a fresh slate or at least only have to attone for my own wrong doing and not those of my ancestors

For some reason...we usually do not give much emphasis on being thankful about inheriting the good karma, but we tend to shy away from believing in the bad...
Its probably similar to generational curses...like the kennedys, bruce lee...and similar stories of familial misfortune.

Inheriting good Karma? I guess I consider that to be more "fate" who my parents are, where I was raised etc

Well...here are a couple of interesting readings on that :)

http://www.kktanhp.com/law_of_karma.htm
http://camphillchurch.org/study_books/GENERATIONAL%20CURSE.pdf
http://innerself.com/content/relationships/family/4870-what-is-family-karma-by-ashok-bedi-a-boris-matthews.html

no photo
Sun 09/13/15 12:33 PM

" How people treat you is there Karma. How you react is yours " By taking revenge you create your own Karma

I don't believe in "inherited Karma" I believe we create out own Karma. If you surround yourself with toxic people your life will be toxic.

If you believe in karma, but dont believe in inherited karma, then is it safe to say that you dont believe in reincarnation? That your karma only affects you and not others?

Not sure about reincarnation. I would like to I think but not enough evidence either way. I just believe life is what you make it.
If reincarnation is real then I would hope to start off with a fresh slate or at least only have to attone for my own wrong doing and not those of my ancestors

For some reason...we usually do not give much emphasis on being thankful about inheriting the good karma, but we tend to shy away from believing in the bad...
Its probably similar to generational curses...like the kennedys, bruce lee...and similar stories of familial misfortune.

no photo
Sun 09/13/15 12:28 PM

This is the nicest way to say...you will get yours...lol..

no photo
Sun 09/13/15 12:10 PM

If Karma is justice then if you don't wear a seat belt and get killed in an accident would that be righteous?
Or am I confusing it with something now

Or is it only karma when it suits you?

Sure, things you do might bite you in the *** eventually... or it might not.
If you do something wrong, but have discovered a pattern in the consequences of whatever immoral action you've committed you would be able to make a plan for it.
doesn't that mean you've beat karma?
Then things that goes around apparently won't come around anymore, or they will but you won't notice it do to your plan.
I think people make these plans as they go in life and eventually it becomes routine.
I can imagine a lot of scenarios where this might play out like parents being overprotective of their abusive and uncontrollable child.

If someone does something wrong to you, do you leave the punishing/policing to the great camera in the sky and do nothing or do you take matters into your own hands?

Apparently, karma has slightly differing concepts according to which school of thought it was developed from.
But it seeks to answer questions of causality in connection to justice, transferability of accountability and psychologic indeterminacy or predetermined destiny vs free will. And these concepts can either be for personal consumption or can transcend several lifetimes.

-----------------

The corollary to your question is
If someone does something wrong to you (or a loved one), how faithfully are you willing to let God's justice prevail, or how far are you willing to go by taking matters in your own hands?

no photo
Sun 09/13/15 11:24 AM

no photo
Sun 09/13/15 11:15 AM

Romans 12:17
Do not repay anyone evil for evil.
Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.

This is a difficult scripture to accomplish. It is similar to
1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Although your conduct and the motivations of your heart can be good, (not seeking revenge),people may perceive their reality is true, not yours.

In a culture/religion/or the beliefs of religious extremists where revenge is seen as a good thing... you as a patient, forgiving person may be despised by others for THEIR idea of what is wrong or right.

To do what is right in the eyes of everyone....is a hard thing to accomplish.

Psalm 143

Psalm 59

no photo
Sun 09/13/15 12:21 AM

no photo
Sun 09/13/15 12:07 AM
Mt 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and at harvest time I will tell the reapers, Gather the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.’”

no photo
Sat 09/12/15 10:35 PM

I really like this.

Another proverb states: "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." This is a translation of Confucius teaching - and he meant something quite different from what it seems in the English translation. The original version begins with "复仇不子也." It literally means a gentleman who does not take revenge is not a gentleman. He then added, "寝苫枕干不仕弗与共天下也遇诸市朝不反兵而斗." It means a gentleman may not take his revenge right away due to the circumstances but he will remember it every day before falling into sleep. He then shall take the revenge when the timing is right, even if he must take the whole world with him (to end his own life). In other words, Confucius was not encouraging people to let go of the hatred, rather he reminds people the importance of revenge as it is part of the significance of one's dignity, and he was encouraging people to "dig two graves" because he believes that dignity is more important than one's life.

Confucius~ flowerforyou

I read the article from where this was taken from.

To say that you should dig two graves when you embark on a journey of revenge means that even yourself may be consumed by the very revenge that you seek, causing not only the demise of the person whom you seek revenge from but also the demise of yourself.

To say that a gentleman is not a gentleman if he does not seek revenge for himself can be taken out of context. The second line states the right timing and even at the cost of his own life. - this is not to say that revenge is justified in itself. It means that to take action in order to stand up for the principles you believe in, even at great personal risk. It does not necessarily talk about revenge but about personal integrity and not letting others step all over it.

Taking revenge on a perceived offence is different from standing up for what you believe in. Standing up for what you believe in is best done in the right timing and circumstance, even at the cost of your own life, if only to prove one's integrity. Revenge on the other hand, may not only be detrimental to the object of revenge, but also to the person taking it, as it does not speak of any greater purpose or principle other than self-satisfaction at all costs.

no photo
Sat 09/12/15 07:30 PM

So, Karma is cause and effect with moral implications.

Where-as, Revenge is a deliberate effort to enforce moral repercussions.

It's probably better to have the topic title as :
God's justice vs the universal concept of karma

no photo
Sat 09/12/15 09:16 AM
Edited by Pansytilly on Sat 09/12/15 09:17 AM

I can't figure out your question or point. Isn't revenge and Karma two different things?

Yes they seem to be. But for people who do not believe in God, the point is moot.

Your question did lead me to this question:
if you would take it upon yourself to take revenge on someone whom you feel have wronged you, wouldn't karma catch up with you anyways?

I don't know. Would that be like your conscience bothering you causing discomfort of some kind?

laugh

Of course not ! Thats a whole 'nuther concept
For karma to take effect or God to act, you would have already acted based on your conscience, whether it was guilty or innocent. smile2

no photo
Sat 09/12/15 08:45 AM

I strongly believed in Karma!bigsmile

Of course! bigsmile

The law of cause and effect forms an integral part of Hindu philosophy. This law is termed as 'karma', which means to 'act'. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Current English defines it as the "sum of person's actions in one of his successive states of existence, viewed as deciding his fate for the next".

In Sanskrit karma means "volitional action that is undertaken deliberately or knowingly". This also dovetails self-determination and a strong will power to abstain from inactivity. Karma is the differentia that characterizes human beings and distinguishes him from other creatures of the world.

no photo
Sat 09/12/15 08:38 AM
Edited by Pansytilly on Sat 09/12/15 08:58 AM

I can't figure out your question or point. Isn't revenge and Karma two different things?

Yes they seem to be. But for people who do not believe in God, the point is moot.

Your question did lead me to this question:
if you would take it upon yourself to take revenge on someone whom you feel have wronged you, wouldn't karma catch up with you anyways?

no photo
Sat 09/12/15 08:11 AM
Edited by Pansytilly on Sat 09/12/15 08:40 AM

Ok Panstilly, who has got you remembering vengeance is God's?
Breathe....:tongue:

Is not karma very similiar to Galatians 6:7?
Do not be deceived,God will not be mocked. For whatever a man sows, he shall also reap.

karma may be a b****, but God's justice is sheer poetry...

we have a saying...when God finally metes out his justice, you will no longer find satisfaction in your enemy's suffering...what is left is pity/compassion...but there is nothing you can do to change their situation even if you wanted to.

karma doesn't seem to come close to the breadth and depth of this...

no photo
Sat 09/12/15 02:16 AM
Leviticus 19:18
"'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

Deuteronomy 32:35
It is mine to avenge; I will repay. In due time their foot will slip; their day of disaster is near and their doom rushes upon them."

1 Samuel 26:10
As surely as the LORD lives," he said, "the LORD himself will strike him, or his time will come and he will die, or he will go into battle and perish.

1 Samuel 26:11
But the LORD forbid that I should lay a hand on the LORD's anointed. Now get the spear and water jug that are near his head, and let's go."

Psalm 94:1
The LORD is a God who avenges. O God who avenges, shine forth.

Proverbs 20:22
Do not say, "I'll pay you back for this wrong!" Wait for the LORD, and he will avenge you.

Proverbs 24:29
Do not say, "I'll do to them as they have done to me; I'll pay them back for what they did."

Jeremiah 51:36
Therefore this is what the LORD says: "See, I will defend your cause and avenge you; I will dry up her sea and make her springs dry.

Romans 12:17
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.

Romans 12:19
Friends, do not avenge yourselves; instead, leave room for His wrath. For it is written: Vengeance belongs to Me; I will repay, says the Lord.

Ephesians 4:27
and do not give the devil a foothold.

1 Thessalonians 4:6
and that in this matter no one should wrong or take advantage of a brother or sister. The Lord will punish all those who commit such sins, as we told you and warned you before.

2 Timothy 4:14
Alexander the metalworker did me a great deal of harm. The Lord will repay him for what he has done.

Hebrews 10:30
For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people."

no photo
Thu 09/10/15 04:51 AM

Last time, I used to feel that I'm able to handle stress quite well.

But unfortunately that's not the case, body will start reacting to it. Headache, sleepless nights, white hair start popping out and eating!frustrated frustrated

It's hard to control. So now before I sleep I will watch sitcom or some drama to relax my mind and body. At least I'm not getting headache and sleepless nights.

But of course the white hair and eating part... incurable! :laughing: :laughing:

now you have mingle as a stress-buster :laughing: :banana:

no photo
Thu 09/10/15 04:50 AM

Let's talk about stress...

How do you view stress?

There are different types of stresses...

1.positive stress - builds character

2.tolerable stress - time limited. Adaptable to either nurturing or damaging influences

3.Toxic stress - strong frequent prolonged exposure to adversity without support

What is your stress response and how has this affected you?

How do you assist others experiencing stressful experiences and damaged by harmful stresses? Young and old.

Not all stress is damaging. Learning how to cope is part of life.
But I believe toxic types of stress can cause many health, behavioral and psychological problems, and this is the root of many adverse societal issues and interactions.

It is easier to build stong children than repair a broken man [ie. society]

My Take:

1. Postive Stress -

What is your stress response: It normally challenges me.
Especially if there is a deadline involved or my career is on the line.
I normally give my all.
Meet the goal on time.
Learn from the experience.

How has this affected you? Given that I did not finish College,
it makes me want to prove myself that I can do it and achieve things
even if my educational attainment is not at par with others.
It makes me study more.
It makes me diligent.It makes me read more books.

2.Tolerable Stress -

What is your stress response: My initial response is fear.
My 2nd response is to berate myself for putting myself in that situation.
My 3rd response is to always get up and choose the right thing - conquer the fear.

How has this affected you? Wary. Distrustful.
Caution is no longer a necessary.
It now becomes a necessity.
Learn from the experience.
I vow not to become jaded.
There is always hope.

3.Toxic Stress -

What is your stress response: It makes me appreciate and grateful with what I have right now.
My 2nd response is to ask myself if it is more prudent to walk away or take it head on.
My 3rd response is to take courage and act what I do is best for the situation.

How has this affected you? It always gives me headache. It makes me hate both Psychology and Religion perspectives.
It makes me always ask, what is healthier to fight back ( make a stand) or just to play dumb like the majority does?
It hurts me, that people misinterprets or conclude hastily.
It hurts more that people choose to misinterpret because of a motive I haven't figured out yet.
It makes me work out more and play video games more.
It makes me want to go home immediately to my hometown province:)

flowerforyou

1 2 8 9 10 12 14 15 16 24 25