Community > Posts By > DavidCommaGeek

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Mon 02/09/15 11:04 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Mon 02/09/15 11:05 AM
In response to the original post... I think a lot of people spend too much time during the first stage of the relationship on what are really trivial and unimportant things. You talk about things like sports, animals, hobbies, the newest movies, etc, because those are "safe" topics. (Most of the time - some people get downright vicious if you dare to challenge their sports team!)

But these are not things that define a good, healthy relationship. Most people ignore big-ticket items like religious beliefs (or lack thereof), political alignment, or the status of previous relationships because they feel talking about such things is "moving too fast", or they're afraid of rejection or scaring off the other person. This is in large part why I prefer online dating - I get to see some of the big-ticket items right off the bat, like religious orientation and whether or not they want children in the future (or have some already). Frequently, you also get a snapshot of their interests and hobbies, which gives you a good idea whether you have anything in common with them or not on the "like" level.

If you spend your time talking about the small, non-relationship-defining "safe" topics, you may develop a liking for the person you're with - but then when you start talking about things that truly matter in a long-term relationship, you may discover that you have important, life-defining differences. This leads to an attitude of "You made me like you just to deceive me!", and feelings of hurt and betrayal - and wasted time.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Mon 02/09/15 10:51 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Mon 02/09/15 10:52 AM
Silly Humans, haven't you ever watched "The Kentucky Fried Movie"?

I literally just watched that for the first time a couple days ago. That sequence was just about the funniest one in the whole movie.

Another very good reason to not have a TV in the house. Thankfully, none of my other devices have cameras or microphones which cannot be disabled or circumvented.

FEAR THE ALL-POWERFUL, ALL-SEEING TECHNOLOGY! ... until you slap a sticky-note over the lens of your webcam to block it...
Complex, far-reaching problems... simple solutions.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/07/15 01:12 PM
"To Be Continued..."

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/07/15 01:11 PM
I fantasize about becoming a part of the immortal, omniscient, and all-powerful pysker-gestalt that is the God-Emperor of Mankind.

Also, sammiches. Not so much beer, but I'm all over the sammiches.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/07/15 01:05 PM
Before I get involved in this discussion, I would like to know how swearing to commit small-scale genocide and quoting Clint Eastwood is connected to giving women a hard time...

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Wed 02/04/15 10:44 PM
Adoryable^

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Wed 02/04/15 09:11 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Wed 02/04/15 09:11 AM
"Inducement", he said, not bothering to check through 44 pages to see if this answer had been given already.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Wed 02/04/15 09:09 AM
If someone is making a scene or making threats, they can be arrested for criminal trespass and/or public disturbance. Businesses can eject patrons when closing time comes, as far as I know.
I don't think he was wrong to not leave until he had gotten his receipt... but he did that to himself by making the cash so difficult to be counted that it couldn't be humanly done before closing time.
Of course, the tax office made some mistakes, too. They should've just taken the money, unfolded and counted it 60 hours later, then charged him with late fees. Then they could've gotten even more money out of him, and probably not ended up in the news with them looking like a blame-worthy target.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Wed 02/04/15 09:03 AM
Betty Boop is asking for "real" men?

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Wed 02/04/15 08:56 AM
I would find you about 3% sexier if you'd convert all your capitalized interest into lower-case interests. It's not a big thing, but it's one of the things I judge about profiles. 'Cause I can.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Mon 02/02/15 07:12 PM

Also, we don't accept the undead or living dead - no zombies or vampires!

Supernaturalists. That's discrimination!

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sun 02/01/15 12:18 PM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Sun 02/01/15 12:24 PM
Agreeing that the universe is a complex place, and that both religion and science recognize this fact is all well and good, but the article is trying to make a further point: that a complex system of morals and rational thought necessarily follow physical and chemical complexity.

"And Smith feels another similarity to religion are the potential moral implications of this idea. If evolution tends to favor the development of sociality, reason, and culture as a kind of "package deal," then it's a good bet that any smart extraterrestrials we encounter will have similar evolved attitudes about their basic moral commitments."

Smith wants to say that 1) if the universe is a "complexity machine", then intelligent life elsewhere is a certainty, and as the universe ages and becomes more complex, more intelligent races will arise naturally.
And 2) That intelligent races will naturally develop a similar system of beliefs and morals because of their base physical and chemical complexity.

To use an example related to what Sheik and mightymoe discussed: Do the Klingons have a similar moral system as Humans? Do the Vulcans? Do the Borg? Are these not all complex beings with advanced cultures and rational thought?
As a parallel, consider carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. Combined (more complex), they form carbohydrates. These carbohydrates combine to form different molecular structures (even more complex) when exposed to stimuli (like heat).
Does this mean that they taste the same, or have the same chemical properties in the end?

The article wants us to believe that a complex universe will develop towards a similar end point. I would hold that a complex universe develops differentiation, and that includes morals and what is considered to be rational thought.
Where the article's theory wants us to believe that the universe develops like this physically, chemically, and morally:
Where "S" is the theorized "start" point of physical and chemical complexity, and "E" is the physical, chemical, and moral end point.

- - - - - -
- -
S- - - - - - - - -E
- -
- - - - - -

I would say the universe is much more likely to develop like this physically, chemically, and morally:

- -- -E - - - - - -E
- - - - - -- - - - - -- - E
- - - -E
- - - - - - - - -E
- - - - - - - - -E
S- - - - - - -E
- - - - -- - - - -E - - - - - -- -E
- - - - - - - - -E - - - - -E
- - - E

EDIT
Okay, so the diagrams aren't displaying like I hoped they would, but I think it gets the point across anyway.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 01/31/15 08:47 AM
Taking Jagbird's point...
If I was a non-human animal, I would want to be a dragon!
Failing that, a beholder!
Failing THAT, an alligator. An American alligator. Not one of those tiny Chinese "alligators".
Failing that, an otter. Otters just have more fun!

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 01/31/15 08:33 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Sat 01/31/15 08:41 AM

She probably had already entered that she received $2.00.

..and then it was too late.

Obviously this entire situation is your own danged fault for being so confusing and misdirecting! Giving the poor cashier paper AND metal? What the hax is wrong with you?

(I should tell you that I'm being sarcastic - in case they don't teach that in language classes, either.)

I am so **** about pennies. I cant bear to have pennies. Its my personal challenge to find ways to pay with them even if Im only trading up for a whole nickel at once.

I'm with you on that. I personally believe we don't need anything smaller than quarters. It would make things easier on cashiers the world over!

I can not count on my fingers and toes how many times I have ran into this same issue.

So... this is a very personal problem for you, is it? :tongue: :tongue:
There, there. We can teach you how to count on your fingers and toes!

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Thu 01/29/15 10:51 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Thu 01/29/15 10:52 AM

>.>

And it's what I was trained to do. They don't let me put it into practice much...

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Thu 01/29/15 10:49 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Thu 01/29/15 10:49 AM
In response to the original post: I think the first mistake you're making is dreading the first date. You should be excited to go on a first date with someone (unless maybe it's a blind date set up by your "friend", then some anxiety is acceptable). Then you'll want to do as much as you can to prepare for it, to make it happen faster.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Thu 01/29/15 10:41 AM
Tour guide for "The Coldest Places On Earth" (currently working in Boston, Massachusetts).

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Thu 01/29/15 10:30 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Thu 01/29/15 10:35 AM
Mostest grammaticly correctified:

"It's essential the speakers be gifted with the minimum degree of articulation in their speech and expression."

"Essential" and "need" fill the same grammatical role; it's redundant to include both. "Articulateness" is a word, but it's more of a descriptor than a noun, like "handiness" or "quietness", where the root word is an adjective.

----

What was the topic, again?
Oh, right - healthy, respectful, and STIMULATING debate.
You sure we're talking about debate? Sounds an awful lot like another competitive activity...

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Thu 01/29/15 10:22 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Thu 01/29/15 10:25 AM
It's the penguins! IT'S THE PENGUINS, I TELL YOU!
Sure. I'll take "analytical" mind.

They both betrayed 'death' by not dying smokin

You can't cheat Death - you can only play until you lose!

He said, cheerfully.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Wed 01/28/15 04:37 PM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Wed 01/28/15 04:39 PM
1) Insert rod A into slot B.
2) Twist off gently in a clockwise manner.
3) Keep this thread away from children.

----

1) Take one orally daily.
2) Shake well before using.
3) Lubricate.