Community > Posts By > lifedesigner

lifedesigner's photo
Mon 01/28/08 11:00 AM

I hate Algebra...grumble How are you?...happy

Just left Calculus class myself...I hate math classes too

lifedesigner's photo
Mon 01/28/08 11:00 AM
Hectic with school - full of feeling like a little kid other than wrecking my motorcycle this morning...sore as @#$t from that, but hey - it's a great excuse to upgrade parts:wink:

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 07:25 AM

I don't think it matters what denomination he is. But in my mind, he's probably the best democrat candidate. Unfortunately, main stream america isn't ready for a black president. Yet, if he does win, life will be interesting for the next 4 years.

He is the best democratic candidate...but

Ron Paul is a better choice IMO

I'm going republican if he holds up numbers through the year

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 02:05 AM
Desperate Housewives...

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 01:54 AM

ok,,,lol
While standing on one of the roads that forked, I would ask them both if THIS was the fork to the village of truth?
If they both said yes, then I would know the other road lead there...drinker
I thought this was it but,,,no it won't work,,,so I give up???? lol

The solution is in my above post...It's easy and when you read it you'll feel silly for thinking so hard...

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 01:50 AM
Asleep...only us dorks questioning logic and physics up at this hour...and then there's Suzanne:wink:

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 01:48 AM

the earth is rotating at aprox. 1041.66 miles per hour though, and your path of decent would alter in the hole,no?
I mean, take a marble and drop it though a christmas warp tube it falls straight through, but turn the tube in a windmill fashion while the marble is passing though and it gets launched out.
This wouldnt work the same?

That's kinda, possibly possible I suppose - but you're also assuming that the object falling isn't being subjected to the same rotational vector magnitude when it falls. The only thing that would mess it up is, once again....air

With the "tube" or the basic Trebuchet you're introducing external forces to cause the disturbance...whether it's you spinning the tube, or the counterweight being pulled towards the earth...

I'd have to spend a few hours on the math to see if air would create enough disturbance to modify ones path that much...my guess is absolutely not

and in that case you may as well throw in the impossibility of calculation due to forces exerted by the person falling being unpredictable...

It's easier if you say "drop an inanimate object" and "don't consider friction"...

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 01:33 AM

This is like that scene from Labyrinth...never could figure that out either

lmao - You're awesome Suzanne

lifedesigner's photo

This is like that scene from Labyrinth...never could figure that out either

lmao - You're awesome Suzanne

lifedesigner's photo
Edited by lifedesigner on Sun 01/27/08 01:57 AM

ok, pointing at man ONE and asking man TWO ,I would ask "would he say this is the way to the village of truth?*gesturing towards one of the forks in the road*

supposing he said "No" then I would know that it would have to be the road to the village of truth.

If he is the honest man, then he would tell me the lie that the other man would would say (being "no")

If he was the dishonest man , then he would also say "no" because that is the original lie.

,simply enough if the first response is yes then ,chosing the opposite road would be the correct one. Same logic simply reversed.

That actually works...kinda

Good job man

I should re-write it to say you have to ask both men the same question. I never looked at it otherwise - I meant that both have to answer the same question...

My solution is to ask while pointing down a road "Is this the village you are from?"

I changed the question to reflect the proper meaning...

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 01:23 AM

How many fingers am I holding up, as I show all five on my hand.
My question would be am I holding five fingers up?
The One who must lie would give me a NO.:wink:

OK - so now you used your one question figuring out which guy is the liar...

How does that tell you what path to take?

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 01:22 AM
This is one of the easiest ones I have up my sleeve...

someone can nail this

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 01:22 AM
This is one of the easiest ones I have up my sleeve...

someone can nail this

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 01:13 AM
Edited by lifedesigner on Sun 01/27/08 01:14 AM

I would ask him which way to the village of truth would the other man say IS the way? and then take the other route.

the truth sayer would tell me the lie the lyer would pass off and the lyer would lie up front.
got a little flustered trying to answer that at first. :tongue:
and in my rush I didnt read the whole riddle....

hmm
gonna have to think of the wording.

Keep in mind you have no way of telling who's who...

And yes or no answers only....

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 01:12 AM
Edited by lifedesigner on Sun 01/27/08 01:12 AM

nice reply, but heres something to think about... what if the hole is against the axis of the earth? If you can infact get past dead center would you not be shot out the other side? ie; trebechet reaction?

I don't think so - here's why...

Ok - take a hole in Spain which connects place in New Zealand. The tunnel would be straight down because its route would intersect with the Earth's center, making it a pure and sudden free-fall. You would accelerate to a maximum velocity of about 17,670 miles per hour before beginning to decelerate, and it would travel in a straight line for 7,290 miles. 42 minutes after falling, you would gently stop in New Zealand.

Factor in air resistance(friction) and you never make it to the other side.

Trebuchet principles don't apply in any way to this. I really don't see how it would.

This was calculated for Newton I believe - I'll find more about it if you need...

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 01:05 AM
Edited by lifedesigner on Sun 01/27/08 01:34 AM
Ok - imagine you're on a journey to the "Village of Truth" where everything is perfect and no one ever lies. You head out down the road that is said to lead there but as you are walking you come to fork in that road that leads to 2 villages - no one mentioned a split in the road. There are 2 men standing at the fork with a sign saying the following:

"We are men of different culture, one from the Village of Truth, and one from the village of Deceit, where we must always lie. Just Laws require that the Villages not be named and that we not speak except to answer. You must ask a single question to the both of us, to which we must both reply with a "Yes" or "No".

What question do you ask to determine which road will take you to the correct village?

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 12:57 AM
too easy

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 12:55 AM
not really a question that hasn't been defined by physics...

Still, nice to see someone posting something that requires a brain.

I'll post something for you Pretty_Good...

lifedesigner's photo
Sun 01/27/08 12:54 AM
Edited by lifedesigner on Sun 01/27/08 12:56 AM
Have you read the "gravity train concept"? It makes sense if you know basic physics.

In a frictionless environment any hole, independent of the angle towards the center of the earth would yield a perfect slope of acceleration that would have vectors equal to the inertia created in the fall.

Regardless of angle or distance the math works out to roughly 42min time to pass through the earth.

Here's the catch - you said "air density" - so we are assuming that there is in fact friction of sorts.

factoring this in makes travel through the earth impossible - and yes, the "bungie" effect is what you would observe.

It's actually a type of spring force...

lifedesigner's photo
Sat 01/26/08 07:11 PM
Been listening to the Temptations a lot?

1 2 4 6 7 8 9 12 13