Community > Posts By > ruth74

ruth74's photo
Sun 03/10/13 08:15 AM
*doing a full body stretch all the way to my toes*rofl
I feel fantastic this morning...slept in for the first time in ages.

ruth74's photo
Sun 03/10/13 08:07 AM
I don't know...I'm kind of old fashioned.
I wouldn't dream of leaving the house without basic makeup but that's just how I was raised. Women need to look like women and men like men. My makeup is part of my femininity and I'd feel weird having my guy rooting through my makeup bag.
I like a fella who takes care of himself, sure...hygiene products are a must and he must smell good. Some moisturizer and lip balm are acceptable too, since that's caring for the skin.
But bronzer...guyliner...foundation?
No thanks.

ruth74's photo
Sun 03/10/13 07:47 AM
Edited by ruth74 on Sun 03/10/13 07:48 AM
I'm here to make friends and to hopefully find a relationship. it worked for me once before, so I'm giving it another try.
I have a great core group of friends in real life but most of their socializing is done at noisy bars and dances.
Having a hearing loss makes these places difficult for me, so I miss out on a lot.
I just joined here, but am loving the forums. You learn so much and I've been blessed with a lot of giggles from reading some of the comments.

ruth74's photo
Sun 03/10/13 06:33 AM

Expecting another person to make you ultimately happy in a relationship is I believe a sign of immaturity.
You and only you can make yourself happy and that is something I'm proud to have learned.
But is it really too much to expect equal, reciprocal caring and nurturing? I am a giver with a huge heart and I guess I just need to be smart enough to look for a person who will feed it and not drain it I guess.
....and I generally try to avoid volcanoes. laugh

True too...
Happiness comes from within-you are your own source of happiness-others just add to it!!

And,
NO,in a healthy relationship; being cared for and nurtured is what is expected! Its not ''asking for too much''-a relationship is a two way street!!
Find some one who gives as much as receives! Well,even gives more....that cant hurt!

Ahhhhh...now see there lies the rub.
I realized something fascinating about myself when a good friend and I tried to take our relationship to 'the next step'. He was loving, giving, caring, nurturing and I was soooo unused to that in a partner that I back pedalled faster than you can believe.
It felt uncomfortable to have the roles reversed and to have someone else taking care of me.
Part of that is family history, with no father to speak of and being in foster homes at an early age. There was never anyone in my corner that I could trust, so to be asked to trust someone intimately goes against every lesson I've learned.
But at least I know the problem right? *wink*
I've figured it out, and now I'm ready to test it out with my next relationship. I'm holding out until I find the guy who's going to appreciate and nurture me and he's going to have to be pretty patient too, as I learn to let go and to trust him. Trusting someone with your heart is a very scary process.

ruth74's photo
Sat 03/09/13 05:26 PM
I would say that I'm burned out, but stronger for having been in the fire.
Definitely hopeful though with a dash of reality thrown in.
By the way, I have a disability as well, but it's one of those 'hidden disabilities'. Not obvious until you get to know me. Do I consider myself disabled? No..I'm differently abled, and actually I wouldn't be who I am without it.
It's taught me to be empathetic, understanding and considerate. It's part of the package that is me and I think I'm a pretty darn good package all wrapped up in a bow of sunshine and love.
For those of you with disabilities, if you haven't opted out with the 'pity me' cloak that some don, then you are the bravest, kindest, most empathetic souls out there, and the partner who finds you will be getting a helluva gift.
Just my opinion ya know. *wink*

ruth74's photo
Sat 03/09/13 05:15 PM
I'm really surprised that no one has commented that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". love

ruth74's photo
Sat 03/09/13 04:08 PM
Expecting another person to make you ultimately happy in a relationship is I believe a sign of immaturity.
You and only you can make yourself happy and that is something I'm proud to have learned.
But is it really too much to expect equal, reciprocal caring and nurturing? I am a giver with a huge heart and I guess I just need to be smart enough to look for a person who will feed it and not drain it I guess.
....and I generally try to avoid volcanoes. laugh

ruth74's photo
Sat 03/09/13 12:12 PM
hello!
I'm trying this online dating thing again, and would like some feedback from other ladies on how to overcome this issue.
I met a fellow about 5 years ago online, and we clicked. Sweet as he was though, he couldn't leave mummy's basement and we just could not have a mature relationship.
How do you harden your heart and stick to your guns and invest yourself in a relationship for YOUR sake, and not the other guy?
As women, we are for the most part trained to be care givers and nurturers. I grew up with a disabled brother and my career is in health care, taking care of people.
It's a natural extension of my personality to reach out to those in need and to provide care for them, be it physical, mental, or emotional. problem is that when the giving is not shared, it results in a dysfunctional relationship, and I REALLY do not want to get tangled up in that net again.
Any words of wisdom or advice?
Thank you and have a wonderful day!

ruth74's photo
Sat 03/09/13 12:04 PM
Hi folks,
This thread had me giggling and thanks to all for that.
*smile*
yes, some of us women who have been dragged through mud can smell a scam a mile away, but I don't think puppy guy is all that harmful. It's kinda cute the way he sits up and begs, don't you think?
being a pup though, he needs to be told gently and firmly "NO". A tap on the nose with a rolled up newspaper would help to cement the message.
Good luck to everyone in your search and thanks again for the giggles!

ruth74's photo
Sat 03/09/13 11:54 AM
*sticking my head in the door to see what all the hullaboo is about* Hiya folks!

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 Next