BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Fri 08/23/13 02:07 AM
Ok, mine are:

Current:

'11:22:63' By Stephen King. First King book ive read in a long time. Its about a guy that goes back in time to 1958 to try and stop the Kennedy assasination. Actualy realy enjoying it and cant put it down!

Genre:

Sorry, but I need to be greedy here and take two - Fantasy first of all. Anyone ever heard of David Gemmell? If you think Tolkien was the king of fantasy, think again! The other is warfare, or specificaly the history of war. Just finished reading Eugene Sledge's With The Old Breed, superb account of war in the Pacific.

Favourite books:

The Swords Of Night and Day, by David Gemmell
Helmet For My Pillow, Robert Leckie

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Fri 08/23/13 02:00 AM

A month ago, we were at home and nothing on tv seemed interesting. So I saw, Duck Dynasty. Never watched it before. Heard and saw a lot of ppl loving on it. So I finally watched it. And Dang, that show had me laughing!!! Finally a reality (sorta) show that does not involve, sleeping around, drinking, fighting, etc.

Jase and Si are my fav!

Whos your fav? Or do you like it.

P.S. I judged this show before I watched it.

My mates love this show but i cant stand it! Its so fake i just cant watch it lol

That said, things like Alaska gold rush etc are pretty cool, if you watch them? Its got my friend investing in gold mining equipment! laugh laugh laugh

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Thu 08/22/13 04:52 AM
Hi, and welome. Im pretty new to this myself! laugh

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Thu 08/22/13 02:21 AM

I have used YouTube to learn a lot of guitar songs

Black Water - The Doobie Brothers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXAgSrAY9CU

Love the visual instruction

\scared
....V

Paul McCartney and Wings - Band on the Run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHHQLvgqIgM

YouTube is great for it. If you use sites like ultimate guitar for tablature you need to automaticaly know the rythmn or strumming patterns.

Im self taught, think YouTube will soon make guitar tutor's obsolete lol

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Wed 08/21/13 10:26 AM
Personally, no.

For me, spooning is what its all about, even if it gets you a faceful of hair! waking up next to the person you want to be with, cant beat it happy

Still, each to their own happy

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Wed 08/21/13 06:30 AM
Yes! I absolutely hate having that dream. I always wake up and grab the chompers, give 'em a good yank to make sure they're still firmly in place, and vow to eat more steak while I still can!bigsmile

Got another one too, altough I think this is more than likely just guys that get this one - im in a fight, but my punches move really slowly/ weakly - almost as if your trying to throw a punch under water, bizarre!! laugh laugh

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Wed 08/21/13 06:13 AM
Ok doke, thank you :smile:

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Wed 08/21/13 02:41 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know how to remove some of the threads from topics your no longer discussing?

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Wed 08/21/13 02:36 AM
Maybe its the trailer for Battle Los Angeles 2 laugh laugh

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Wed 08/21/13 02:33 AM
I have had a recurring dream since childhood.....not sure if its a dream or a memory thing.

Every so often, ill drift off and wake up where i fell asleep. Trouble is im still sleeping, and everything in my room is exactly where it was when i fell asleep....so bizarre. Its like my subconscious is making a mental note of exactly where everything is before i fall asleep, and bringing it up in my dreams. Confusing!

Also, this one is quite common - anyone else every had the 'teeth falling out' - dream?

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Wed 08/21/13 02:29 AM

Have you tried Canadian, Brian?

I have not my friend, but ill make a note and do a mail order :)

I know quite a lot of expat Scots in Canada, I should realy just have them send me a variety laugh

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Wed 08/21/13 02:22 AM

Maybe the institution that came up with the words "Till death do us part" was wrong. Ever thought about that?
It's bound to have been the church, they've forced a great many things on us 'commoners' over the centuries and we gotten so used to it (as in brainwashed) that we now even think they're our own norms and values and the only right way in life.
Most ppl have partially or completely freed themselves from church, started thinking for themselves instead of 'the church' as an institution telling them what to do.

Spending some 50 years with the same person, pffff ... Throughout life we change so often, so many different phases in life. It's not like: I'm an adult now, I've reached the summit and I will stay here till I die.
What are the chances of getting through all the (individual) motions and still keep loving that one person??
What is actually wrong with being able to change partner, find someone that is compatible with you in the here and now? We've always been made to believe this was wrong, but is it?

Maybe we should just adjust our expectations and not assume we were meant to 'mate' for life.
In the meantime, that doesn't mean that people in such a relationship aren't totally committed to one another.

Traditional marriage does not exist anymore. It has been replaced by conventional marriage now. In this new contract, either party can opt out based solely on whether they are happy or not.

I choose not to participate in such an institution for a variety of reasons, none of which include believing that I can't find someone that can make me happy, and I him, for the rest of our lives. I am more than willing to commit with my heart, I just won't involve the government in the affairs of my heart.

So I agree that we should be free to be with who we want. I just disagree that we should jump ship whenever it tickles our fancy just because our fancies change over time. If two people really love each other, really commit and work on their relationship together and strive every single day to make the other happy, there is no reason we can't mate for life. I know it's an anomaly in the animal kindom, of which we all belong, but it's nice to think that sort of love and commitment still exists within some people. It does, I've seen it, and maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to experience it.ohwell

Well, there are pre-nuptials, but ive always found that concept a bit strange. Besides showing an immediate lack of trust, its also an acceptance that somewthing will go wrong at some point before even getting hitched!!

If I can quote something you said: 'Traditional marriage does not exist anymore. It has been replaced by conventional marriage now. In this new contract, either party can opt out based solely on whether they are happy or not' and 'I just won't involve the government in the affairs of my heart' - whilst I understand where your coming from, its a shame that for some people marriage is no longer a commitment made in front of god but a legally binding contract. I guess its a sign of the times that it now needs to be both, and its a real shame too.

I like the idea of marriage, trouble is I dont realy believe in a book compiled a few hundred years after the death of Christ, at the council of Nicea. I just want to make it clear im not encroaching on anyones belief's either, im only referring to myself. Its not that I dont believe, its just i choose to interpret a higher purpose differently. Anyhoo, as im starting to go off on a tangent, ill get to the point I was attempting to make. Marriage via a registry office would then be the only option for me, and that unfortunatley DOES make it government buisness. mad

Some good objective opinions here, keep them coming folks!

happy

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Wed 08/21/13 02:04 AM

Maybe the institution that came up with the words "Till death do us part" was wrong. Ever thought about that?
It's bound to have been the church, they've forced a great many things on us 'commoners' over the centuries and we gotten so used to it (as in brainwashed) that we now even think they're our own norms and values and the only right way in life.
Most ppl have partially or completely freed themselves from church, started thinking for themselves instead of 'the church' as an institution telling them what to do.

Spending some 50 years with the same person, pffff ... Throughout life we change so often, so many different phases in life. It's not like: I'm an adult now, I've reached the summit and I will stay here till I die.
What are the chances of getting through all the (individual) motions and still keep loving that one person??
What is actually wrong with being able to change partner, find someone that is compatible with you in the here and now? We've always been made to believe this was wrong, but is it?

Maybe we should just adjust our expectations and not assume we were meant to 'mate' for life.
In the meantime, that doesn't mean that people in such a relationship aren't totally committed to one another.

Traditional marriage does not exist anymore. It has been replaced by conventional marriage now. In this new contract, either party can opt out based solely on whether they are happy or not.

I choose not to participate in such an institution for a variety of reasons, none of which include believing that I can't find someone that can make me happy, and I him, for the rest of our lives. I am more than willing to commit with my heart, I just won't involve the government in the affairs of my heart.

So I agree that we should be free to be with who we want. I just disagree that we should jump ship whenever it tickles our fancy just because our fancies change over time. If two people really love each other, really commit and work on their relationship together and strive every single day to make the other happy, there is no reason we can't mate for life. I know it's an anomaly in the animal kindom, of which we all belong, but it's nice to think that sort of love and commitment still exists within some people. It does, I've seen it, and maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to experience it.ohwell

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Tue 08/20/13 09:58 AM
And please no one say America, cos Bud and Miller suck arse as much as Scotlands national lager, Tennents. The English have some awful lager in Carling, but have great local beers, so may be the same case for the Americans, so start giving me some beer/ lager names so I can go online and order some.

Want some suggestions? :

Kirin Ichiban: Possibly the freshest, crispest lager I have ever tried, honestly worth a shot. Well done Japan!!

Corona: we all know Mexico's finest!

Tuborg: i THINK this is Danish, cheap, but goes down as smoothly as a glass of milk.

Hoegaarden: Belgian wheat beer, white in colour but tastes great.

Get your suggestions in! laugh happy

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Tue 08/20/13 09:48 AM

NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has observed a mysterious X-shaped debris pattern and trailing streamers of dust that suggest a head-on collision between two asteroids. Astronomers have long thought the asteroid belt is being ground down through collisions, but such a smashup has never been seen before.

Asteroid collisions are energetic, with an average impact speed of more than 11,000 miles per hour, or five times faster than a rifle bullet. The comet-like object imaged by Hubble, called P/2010 A2, was first discovered by the Lincoln Near-Earth Asteroid Research, or LINEAR, program sky survey on Jan. 6. New Hubble images taken on Jan. 25 and 29 show a complex X-pattern of filamentary structures near the nucleus.

"This is quite different from the smooth dust envelopes of normal comets," said principal investigator David Jewitt of the University of California at Los Angeles. "The filaments are made of dust and gravel, presumably recently thrown out of the nucleus. Some are swept back by radiation pressure from sunlight to create straight dust streaks. Embedded in the filaments are co-moving blobs of dust that likely originated from tiny unseen parent bodies."

Hubble shows the main nucleus of P/2010 A2 lies outside its own halo of dust. This has never been seen before in a comet-like object. The nucleus is estimated to be 460 feet in diameter.

Normal comets fall into the inner regions of the solar system from icy reservoirs in the Kuiper belt and Oort cloud. As comets near the sun and warm up, ice near the surface vaporizes and ejects material from the solid comet nucleus via jets. But P/2010 A2 may have a different origin. It orbits in the warm, inner regions of the asteroid belt where its nearest neighbors are dry rocky bodies lacking volatile materials.

This leaves open the possibility that the complex debris tail is the result of an impact between two bodies, rather than ice simply melting from a parent body.

"If this interpretation is correct, two small and previously unknown asteroids recently collided, creating a shower of debris that is being swept back into a tail from the collision site by the pressure of sunlight," Jewitt said.

The main nucleus of P/2010 A2 would be the surviving remnant of this so-called hypervelocity collision.

"The filamentary appearance of P/2010 A2 is different from anything seen in Hubble images of normal comets, consistent with the action of a different process," Jewitt said. An impact origin also would be consistent with the absence of gas in spectra recorded using ground-based telescopes.

The asteroid belt contains abundant evidence of ancient collisions that have shattered precursor bodies into fragments. The orbit of P/2010 A2 is consistent with membership in the Flora asteroid family, produced by collisional shattering more than 100 million years ago. One fragment of that ancient smashup may have struck Earth 65 million years ago, triggering a mass extinction that wiped out the dinosaurs. But, until now, no such asteroid-asteroid collision has been caught "in the act."

At the time of the Hubble observations, the object was approximately 180 million miles from the sun and 90 million miles from Earth. The Hubble images were recorded with the new Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3).

The Hubble Space Telescope is a project of international cooperation between NASA and the European Space Agency. NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center manages the telescope. The Space Telescope Science Institute conducts Hubble science operations. The institute is operated for NASA by the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. in Washington, D.C.

Sorry, didnt have time to read all that, but I assume that this object came from the Kuiper belt? Whats its trajectory and what is the object its expected to collide with?

Im also guessing that its fairly close given the size of the tail? Hubble has been the best invention of humankind. Beats the moon landings and Curiosity for me as its allowed us to understand how the universe formed.

Just to think Hubbles replacement is going up soon, and further out too.......

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Tue 08/20/13 09:28 AM

Hey Brianwaving , if you're into alternative might want to check out the band My Morning Jacket ...They blend alternative country, folk rock, and psychedelic rock to create a cool, sexy soft acoustic sound...Their song "Black Metal" is awesome...Representing the ladies is the beautiful songbird/songwriter/acoustic guitarist Abra Moore...Try her "Everything Changed" album, it's kind of a recap of a lot of her earlier stuff...I especially like the song "I Do"...

Thanks for the heads up. I will need to YouTube them, because I havent heard them before. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Also love all the Celtic folk songs - Wild Mountain Thyne by the High Kings is one of my favourites.

Not sure if anyone has heard of the singer Paolo Nutini? Hes from around my area. Bumped into him so many times. Nothing like a star that doesnt forget their roots happy

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Tue 08/20/13 09:26 AM

We done "Chasing Cars" - Snow Patrol with the band, acoustic guitar. Some 6 singers, absolutely wonderful!

Road Trippin - Chili Peppers is amazing!

Lover of the Light - Mumford & Sons (probs more Mumford & Sons songs are great to do!)

I always loved to play "Never going back" - Fleetwood Mac
Whiskey in the Jar
Creedence Clearwater

Personally always loved playing blues on the guitar. Love my flats, haha.

Funnily enough, Little Lion Man by Mumford and Sons is a personal favourite.

I couldnt believe it when i found out they werent Irish!!

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Tue 08/20/13 09:23 AM

@ sweetestgirl11

Thank god I wasnt indulging in some black pudding when you gave me the answer to that! laugh laugh laugh

yes, well known for clarity here, but sometimes itshould be preceded by a warning I guess. lol

quite frankly I love a cute quiff but can't imagine ever eating this item called black pudding under any circumstances...

maybe one of my weight loss goals should be moving to Scotland..lollaugh :wink:

Would just like to clarify that black pudding is of English origin and not scottish. Fried blood seems a bit strange, but just put out your head what your actually eating and its all good laugh laugh

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Tue 08/20/13 09:22 AM

Hi Brian
Depends on the person really I think.
I have never cheated in any relationship I have been in. If I have been unhappy in a relationship I have ended it before looking for someone else.
Jo x

Hi Jo, me too. But it only took me 6 years to do it lol laugh

BrianLovesGuitar's photo
Tue 08/20/13 02:48 AM
Hey, anyone hear anything recently on the rumour mill of F1?

Latest I heard is that Alonso is in talks with redbull. Personally think thats rubbish as that seat seems tailored for Ricciardo....but you never know.

If Raikonnen goes to Red Bull, who would you give the Lotus seat to? I reckon if he left they would need a race stayer, someone to garuntee points. Someone like Di Resta, who despite having several qualifying issues in the last 3 races has fought his way from the back and more or less always finishes races.

If not Di Resta id plumb for Bianchi, who runs the wheels of that Marussia brilliantly. Only problem ther is Grosjean still seems to drive like its his first season in F1.....