Community > Posts By > seamac

seamac's photo
Sat 12/08/12 10:42 PM

I used to go to the Women's Shelter in town, about 2 days
before Christmas each year and interview the women and
their kids about what they wanted from Santa, I think
I told them it was for an article in the paper.

One year stands out to me still.
My agenda was to get each child 3 things, one, clothing,
two, something practical as they had nearly nothing,
and three, a fun toy.

I chatted with all the kids but one small boy was very
quiet and I could not get him to tell me what he wanted
from Santa.
He had..bruises, he seemed so little and sad and hopeless.

So I talked with his Mother and his sister and they indicated
he dreamed about a GameBoy and a certain game.
None of the Mothers or kids knew why I was asking, by the way.

Now, I was determined, though I knew the budget would have to
go out the window, to deliver on wishes.
I went to WalMart and talked with the manager and he agreed to
give me a 10% discount for all the things I had to buy for all
the kids, and the wrappings.

I had to find what the little boy wanted and I needed it to be
EXACTLY as he wanted. Turned out, they were sold out.
But, one of the workers, who was assigned to help me, said she
knew someone who had purchased that GameBoy and the game that
the little boy wanted, and she moved heaven and earth to get
it for him.
I was so grateful, I cannot tell you.

So I got everything wrapped, loaded the car and took all the
presents to the Shelter, on Christmas Eve. The kids were all
in bed, unaware,
There was a small tree the Shelter ladies had put together,
and there were stockings with oranges and things in them for
the kids, so they would have something Christmas morning.

When they saw all the gifts, with 3 presents for every person
in the Shelter, there were many misty eyes I can tell you.
The ladies placed them all under the tree and it looked amazing.
It was a sight :-)

So, a few days later the Shelter ladies called me to please
come by.
And they told me about Christmas morning at the Shelter.

The children had come downstairs, the word spread, Santa had
found them all.
They didn't rush the tree, or look for their names, they all
just stared at it, barely hoping.
The Shelter ladies then started passing out the presents,
until each child had a wee pile.

They went round the room, each one opening just one gift,
round and round, they all seemed so happy for the others.
The last gift opened was by the little boy (the Shelter
ladies had worked out that his gift was special, so they
held it back, but he had 3 because I had gotten him
a 100 pack of batteries to go with his GameBoy.)

He opened the batteries, just as he was passed the
final gift.
He looked a little puzzled, all the other kids were
hushed with anticipation, he was a favorite.

He slowly opened the GameBoy, and they told me he looked
shocked, disbelieving, rechecked the name on the gift,
looked at his Mom, who was crying, and tried to take it in.
The other kids gasped and gathered round him to see it closer.

And do you know what this sad little boy did?
They told me he let every single one of those children play
with his GameBoy, before he did. One by one. Each had a turn,
then handed it reverently to the next.

I would have loved to have met the man that little boy became
later in life.
He was so special.
Some moments stay with you forever.

It is 1:36am I just had a terrible nightmare, so bad that I had to get up, went out for a smoke and heard mean voices coming from down my street. Thought about calling for a cruiser to come by but didn't. Came on here just to see if anyone was up, to distract myself and this is the post I found on this hard night. Now I am in tears and feeling the spirit of the holidays, not only Christmas but all of the winter holidays happening now and happening soon, I am feeling this spirit in ways I have not for a very long time.

Thank you soufi.

seamac's photo
Sat 12/08/12 05:47 PM
Keep posting, good people are here, it just takes a little time and posting to get yourself known and for others to get to know you. Good luck.

seamac's photo
Sat 12/08/12 05:45 PM
Very interesting post, thanks!

It has been said that I am a 'worry wort', looking for the worst that can happen. Flip that and it means I look at a situation from many angles and am prepared for outcomes different than the desired one. I have a plan if plans go awry. This allows me to feel secure to try new things or do old things differently. It has also on occasion meant that I am the one prepared to act to save the day! bigsmile

seamac's photo
Sat 12/08/12 05:34 PM
Sit quietly someplace you find beautiful and let your emotions have freedom. Don't push, have no expectations, just be still and allow yourself to honestly feel whatever it is that comes up for you. Grieving a lost love is like any other grief in that it takes time, a simple thing we often don't allow or make room for. A good cry and/or a good laugh, a walk down memory lane, what ever comes up let it be for a while as you sit and just feel. I still practice this simple act a few times a year over 7 years since my husbands death and more recently the loss of a love I didn't think I would find, only to lose it. I usually come away feeling lighter or cleansed if you will.

Many of the other suggestions are very good too and work over time but allowing time to just feel and not judge or question what you feel is something I think we tend to over look.

Best to you as you heal, you will heal. Be kind to yourself, never shut the door against loving again.

seamac's photo
Tue 12/04/12 04:52 PM

Have they been who they said they are? Have they been different than the person they portrayed? If they weren't who they said they were, what was different?

I am not aware of any other sites quite like this one cause this one is truly free. The other two sites I have tried want your money before you can communicate...plus all the coolest and best people are here!

I haven't met, as in person, anyone from this site but have had many a lot of fun and gotten to the point of exchanging phone numbers with a few, oops offtopic one of whom many of us have gotten to know and love and is very ill with cancer. If you know who I mean (he had a blow up doll for the longest time and probably still does) send him a note now and again so he knows we are thinking of him and believing he will win his battle.

Sorry I didn't mean to digress...On the site that walks you through the initial stages of communicating I met and dated two men, one cheated on me because I wouldn't agree to marry him after dating for less than two months (go figure), the other I am still pen pals with. Most recently I caved in and joined another site because while just having a look around a man caught my attention, over a week later with him still in mind I decided to give it a try because we couldn't communicate if I didn't pay up. He didn't contact me noway but I have exchanged a few emails with a man who claimed to be a nice, respectful etc etc guy. His last email two evenings ago almost vibrated off the page with anger and self righteousness, lecturing me on his beliefs which in so many (many) words said my beliefs are all wrong. I just sent him a bye bye note and hope he has enough sense to leave it at that. Also I have sworn to cut off my right hand before I will ever pay my hard earned money to join another dating site. They don't even have forums for heavens sake!!!

seamac's photo
Sat 12/01/12 06:29 PM
Edited by seamac on Sat 12/01/12 06:30 PM
Your picture is good, don't sweat your user name, just jump into the forums, have some fun and maybe make some friends. We can sure use some new blood around here! Welcome and good luck. flowerforyou

seamac's photo
Mon 11/12/12 03:50 PM

Love is blind but i can see clearly

So does this mean you are in love but not blinded by it or that you are not in love??? :wink:

seamac's photo
Sun 11/11/12 06:28 PM
Hi, the best thing to do may be for you to check out several forums, find a conversation or three (or four) that interest you and jump right in. Lots of good folks here having fun and making friends, a few find that special someone but most are in the forums for friendship and fun. Bring your sense of humor and hope to see you in the forums. Good luck to you. flowerforyou

seamac's photo
Thu 11/08/12 11:19 AM

Women!!!!bigsmile :banana:

Now there is a surprise!! LOL Mikey gets my vote for best answer, go figure Mikey addicted to woman???? drool

seamac's photo
Wed 11/07/12 03:09 PM
Dark chocolate M&M's, can't stop eating them, get upset when my local quick stop is out of them, stock up bags at a time when they have them on sale. Crave them at work and play...terrible things those little dark drops. :tongue:

When it is salt I crave I search out potato ships that are cooked a little extra, Dark Russets....oh yum. May need to brave the freezing cold wind yet tonight...

Whipped cream on just about anything, try to always have a can on hand.

Is there are fresh veggie in the house?? noway

seamac's photo
Wed 11/07/12 03:00 PM

It's awesome that Maryland and Maine stood up for marriage equality.

bigsmile Glad to see that in some places people will get the rights they shouldn't have to fight fornoway

Hardly the first time people have had to fight for their rights, let's just hope this one is put to bed here and in MD. Would hate to see it pop back up again....but it probably will. yawn (we need a "big sigh" smiley)

seamac's photo
Wed 11/07/12 02:55 PM
Hi, you have posted twice and haven't contacted anyone??? How can that be? Really would you meet anyone that fast out and about in 'real' life? Give it some time, post often, let people get to know you as you get to know them. There are great people here...bring your sense of humor, have some fun and maybe meet someone too.

seamac's photo
Mon 11/05/12 05:21 PM
I closed my rarely used FB account months ago and have never looked back. In fact it annoys me when companies say 'like us on FB Twitter etc' in order to get special promotions/pricing. What if I have been a loyal customer for years but can't get the discount because I don't choose to have a FB account. I take my money and my loyalty elsewhere, do any of the folks making decisions at these companies think about all the business they are losing because of FB, Twitter etc?

I always feel better when I tackle clutter, the bigger the pile for Good Will the better I feel.

seamac's photo
Mon 11/05/12 05:03 PM

be genuine! I get a lot of emails calling me "babe" "honey" (you don't know me so either asking my name or just saying "HI" is favorable) initially in email flattery of that nature does NOT encourage me to respond favorably.. or those claiming to have read my profile when obviously that wasn't the case because nothing in their email remotely sounds like someone I'd be interested in!

personally I prefer someone to mention something of what they've read in my profile or on the forums.. showing at least there was enough interest to encourage that initial step and start on a common ground.. but that's JMO! :wink:

I second your opinion!!

I third your opinion and would add that if they say they have read my profile and not only sound like someone I would not be interested in but also make no reference to anything specific in my profile that makes me think he thinks I am an idiot as well as maybe a sap.

seamac's photo
Sat 11/03/12 01:52 PM

Help me understand that mentality? If you are a "big" woman and are excluding men that are overweight how can you even say that without being in shape yourself?? I prefer thick woman myself but don't close my mind to all sizes.. what do you think?

Almost everything in life is about preference.

I am a big woman and I won't go out with a man who IMO is too big in the same way, I won't go out with a guy who is (again IMO) too slim.

Goldilocks wanted it just right and so do I laugh

Some men will chose not to go out with me because of the colour of my skin, my weight, the fact that I have children, live in the UK...the list is endless. Don't get caught up on the small stuff.

It's really disheartening for a man to hear a woman say, "I don't get caught up onthe small stuff" when you are standing stark naked right in front of her.

But that's just me.

Been meaning to tell you for some time but this has me finally saying it...wux, you are one of the funniest guys on here, always love your posts. Thanks for the smiles and giggles.

As for mis matched types, ever heard of BMW? Big Maine Woman. Lots of them and as far as I have noticed many, many BMW's are happily paired with tall slender guys who seem content as puppies. On the other hand, my bony self hasn't been noticed that I have noticed in the 3 years I have lived here. Makes me wonder if preferences are also somewhat geographic?

seamac's photo
Sat 11/03/12 01:35 PM
I wanted to be a grown up cause they were so free to do whatever they wanted...so it seemed to me back then. Darn THAT grass was greener on the other side!!

seamac's photo
Sat 10/27/12 07:43 PM

I actually do a lot of detailed work sometimes using a microscope
which requires very steady hands. I could have been a surgeon. I
like to fix things and also have a strong desire to help people.

I also like puzzles so that any diagnostic specialty could have been
a possibility for me. But to tell you the truth it is very emotionally
draining for me to have to deal with death and dying of others.

I think the hardest situation for me would have been something like
oncology or neurosurgery where many patients have catastrophic illness
and a very poor prognosis.

Perhaps cosmetic surgery would have been better for me?!

laugh

For (most of) these reasons, the medicine I would have been best at, helping people leave this life, would also have been the hardest and most draining. Great success, early burnout and then perhaps onto my life as a writer.

seamac's photo
Sat 10/27/12 07:38 PM
I can't always spot a player the instant I see one but I often can. Fun to be played by a player when you know what is going on and are in the mood for that kind of fun. (actually then I guess I am playing the player...) Best when you end up 'one up' on a player, makes em go ohwell or embarassed or :cry:

Playing a player is best done at a party or in other social/public situations just in case I read him wrong.

Much harder to spot a player on line, in forums or other chat situations, nice reminder to always be careful out there.

seamac's photo
Sat 10/27/12 07:25 PM

that's interesting - i have sometimes thought about being a doctor too

:smile:

Being or 'playing' doctor? blushing

Playing you have probably done....

laugh

haven't "played" dr since about kindergarten.

laugh

but i recall it was fascinating. of course then my patient insisted
on playing nurse next....

laugh

LOLOLOL

Kidding aside, what type of Dr do you think you would have been best as? I think I would have enjoyed bringing people into the world but best at helping them leave.

seamac's photo
Sat 10/27/12 07:17 PM

Most people are pretty resistant to changing their opinions. I guess our opinions make us who we are, and most of us don't really want to be someone different, at least not for very long.

I designed what I called a map of my head one time. It included opinions, feelings, beliefs, attitudes, everything. It was incredibly complicated as I noticed how all those things interacted with each other. Ever since then, I've given up trying to change anybody except myself.

Wow, what a fascinating undertaking. I imagine it took ages to even nearly complete such a map, I applaud you for doing this in depth self study and hope it serves you well! flowerforyou

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 24 25