Community > Posts By > seamac

seamac's photo
Fri 08/09/19 04:05 PM
catinidaho, You are SO right, wearing SPF is so important, I have skin cancer from sun exposure - mostly job-related - so can say with certainty that protecting your skin from sun exposure is very important. But...

...I also know that many people (including me) who are reading and learning more about the questions revolving around how safe sunblocks are and if they also can cause cancer are hesitant to use it. If you opt not to use an SPF wear a hat with a wide brim and long sleeves, avoid the sun midday, use an umbrella...Be safe in the sun, save your skin!

seamac's photo
Wed 07/31/19 05:44 PM
What I hate about crying is when I do it in response to situations when I am very angry or threatened but instead of yelling or taking a strong stand, I cry. On the rare, and best occasions I have done both, cried AND stood up for myself. So I think sometimes we cry out of pure strong emotions, kind of gut reaction. I don't think men cry under these kinds of circumstances very often because, in general, men are so taught not to cry because it shows weakness. I say bull, it shows females weakness too but because of how we are raised (to be protected, etc, etc, etc) we are just more vulnerable to showing our emotions.

For example, I cried when I got fired from a job I loved, was good at, and respected in. But in my experience, most men would not 'dare' to cry under the same circumstances.

In life in general, crying frees our soul, makes us look like crap winking but rids us of tension, gives us a break from thinking, crying is good for us no matter our gender.

seamac's photo
Wed 07/31/19 05:23 PM
Finishing a knitting project that turns out as well or even better than I envisioned it.

Breaking through a long bought of writers' block.

A really good meal, be it a great pizza, burger or any meal shared with friends.

3 is too few...But it did make me think.

seamac's photo
Sat 07/27/19 03:41 PM

sms Short Message Service
the original format for texting from your cel phone
mms or multimedia messaging service
is the new and improved version.
sms was text only and limited to 165 characters per message.
hence the development of short hand
mms allows video text and picture to be sent as a text message.

and for crystals next question at least in the states it is still used very heavily because it is unlimited (and doesn't affect data usage either) on almost every cel phone plan and it's totally private.

Thanks for explaining these shortcuts. I am not sure I had ever seen sms before, never mind mms

seamac's photo
Mon 07/22/19 05:32 PM

I hate texting!!! What a waste of time compared to talking. I do enjoy Email, write in complete sentences and use paragraphs. It also depends on the type of device you are using. Smart phones are not very good at writing anything and I can usually tell when someone has written something on them. I much prefer my computer with a full keyboard where I can use both hands.

Me too. Due to my neck injury it's impossible for me to work of my mobile. I sorted the problem by installing WhatsApp on the PC, Instagram as well. You need a little trick to be able to post on Instagram via PC, but it's easy and fast.
I also bought a USB C Hub when I had to use my phone more often for Instagram and hadn't learnt about that trick yet.
That allows you to plug in your keyboard into the phone, and a number of other USB devices.

Texting I don't do. No one uses text (SMS) anymore.

to my point, sort of, what does SMS mean? And how long would it take to tyoe it out?

I suppose most of us know 'lol' 'ttyl' and 'mil' or 'fil' but with those, I am tapped out.

I send lots of SMS though. Many of them from my tablet, because my mobile phone provider offers free texts ... whenever the app works :wink: Well, I don't really like phone calls ohwell

seamac's photo
Sat 07/20/19 06:29 PM

That means that this site is NO LONGER FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is true 'Unlock All Photos' is now a pay to view option. At least that is what I found to be true when I just tried to view 'who viewed me' for the heck of it to test this out.

If I am wrong it will be the first time in my life. rofl

seamac's photo
Sat 07/20/19 06:10 PM

Ok, I am an older person, I find that when I text/email I use the old 'letter' writing etiquette - I open with a salutation, even just "Hi" then say what I am texting/emailing about - then end with a closing. So how many here find themselves still using 'old school' letter writing techniques in a time of "lol" "TTYL" and all the shorthand, most of which I am not familiar with?

And is it a bad thing to use some old school 'politeness'? Or am I a dinosaur? Do we all have to buy into QUICK in every text and email? (mostly texting)

I don't use short hand all that much. I do use lol quite a bit and will occasionally use short hand in casual convo such as these forums, but I try to refrain from it. I never use short hand in a professional or other formal manner. I don't think it's necessarily and older folks thing, but a smart people thing.

YO HO, long live smart people!!! Especially those of us who keep our beautiful language alive and practiced.

Make room the future leaders of the world (who knew Twitting would be how a US president communicates?) but while we live let some of old folks preserve writing as if it is a gift to give and to be recieved.

seamac's photo
Sat 07/20/19 06:05 PM

The only person I text with is my sister. We use full words and punctuation.

:flower for you: drinker flowers I am so glad to hear this!! Makes me feel less alone in this world!

seamac's photo
Sat 07/20/19 06:03 PM

Text speak?

I find it to be, an insult to the intellect of
the reader.

So do I BUT we are not young, so what I wonder is CAN the youth of today write without text speak? If they can then more power to them but if they can't WE as a people have a BIG problem!

seamac's photo
Sat 07/20/19 05:59 PM

im a video gamer
so i use a lot of short hand
afk
brb
wtf
etc etc etc

worrie less what others think
if it offends or bothers them ,
its better ya not be around it any ways
<shrug>
oh and add in i like to change letters on words
worken instead of working
it be driven the spellen pole lice crazy...er

: )

and remember they dont teach cursive writing in schools
dont worrie if ya cant read the constitution , are leaders can tell ya us what it says

<face palm>

best wishes on your hunt

So funny that you brought up cursive not being taught in schools, a few weeks ago I came across a 'cursive' test online, I suppose it is a sign of the times that such a test even exists. Sad that our young won't be able to read old family letters...why can't we 'add' without 'subtracting'?

seamac's photo
Sat 07/20/19 05:54 PM

Ok, I am an older person, I find that when I text/email I use the old 'letter' writing etiquette - I open with a salutation, even just "Hi" then say what I am texting/emailing about - then end with a closing. So how many here find themselves still using 'old school' letter writing techniques in a time of "lol" "TTYL" and all the shorthand, most of which I am not familiar with?

And is it a bad thing to use some old school 'politeness'? Or am I a dinosaur? Do we all have to buy into QUICK in every text and email? (mostly texting)

I fully admit to being a dinosaur!
I know exactly what you mean and it's frustrating and sometimes takes me a while to figure out what some are even saying in extreme cases. In my case as a man it's usually the younger the more they won't or don't know how to even form complete sentences. Sadly it seems many are borderline illiterates or just too lazy! Also I think as time passes more and more most social graces fall by the wayside.
My best advice is to be proud of who you are, your experiences and embrace your inner dinosaur.

I simply love the English language and am a once published writer, so, as you say I will embrace my inner dinosaur and keep on writing like someone who knows how to!
After all, what's the alternative? As you said - Dumb yourself down to their level? Not me! I am ok with using lol, ttyl, etc with close friends and family but much beyond those simple shortcuts I dind annoying even when I know what the shortcuts mean, jeez if you have some to say to me, say it in English, It isn't that damn hard!

All that said I know some very intelligent young people who use all the shorthand, I am jut not sure that they could write a letter without using it and that is what concerns me. Like using a velcro shoe closure BUT knowing full well how to tie a shoelace, nothing wrong with velcro unless you never learned to tie a shoelace.

seamac's photo
Sat 07/20/19 05:43 PM

Yes, i recall old school writing such as you desribed...however, i also remember watching my kids and grandthingies exchanging text...hard to text hundreds of times a day the old school way plus in this digital age their starting point is way ahead of mine...by that i mean their threshold includes btw, ttyl, hmu, etc and other "shorthand" things to be able to write a paragraph in a couple of lines ...of course, it did not hurt that i could not understand a word of it at that time.....the reality is - that is the clothing they wear...

and in order to communicate across the board, I have had to learn the "lingo" also...unfortunately it creeps in more and more when chatting...

I think that the fact that kids are texting hundreds of times a day is part of the problem far beyond using a few letters to represent words, texting has replaced TALKING, the text shorthand has replaced knowing how to use the English language. I am all for the shorthand usage if and when the user has passed a grade appropriate English test proving that they know better and this is just a quick way to communicate with friends.

seamac's photo
Sat 07/20/19 05:31 PM

Mississippi

A-Z waving

Trotters

Thanks! I was just so excited to have a word with multiple double letters but then perhaps the rule is a word with one set of double letters? flowerforyou

seamac's photo
Sat 07/20/19 05:13 PM

seamac's photo
Sat 07/20/19 10:15 AM
Repeat

seamac's photo
Sat 07/20/19 10:14 AM
Mississippi

seamac's photo
Sat 07/20/19 10:12 AM
Nuts, as in to eat and to match my bolts. waving waving

seamac's photo
Sat 07/20/19 10:09 AM

seamac's photo
Sat 07/20/19 10:05 AM

Yeah the men who work at Nordstrom's makeup counter (hey equal rights) wear makeup but then again......and at a place I worked at, a local newscaster used to come in in his stage makeup why he didn't wipe it all off before going out in public I don't know, maybe he liked wearing makeup . shocked

I see that I didn't make myself clear, sorry about that. I was referring to men on this site or in general not using makeup to enhance themselves. I spent enough time in theater to know that in certain careers men indeed do wear makeup. But how many 'regular' guys put on makeup for a dinner date?

seamac's photo
Fri 07/19/19 06:32 PM

seamac, thanks for sharing. I don't think my mother wore much makeup, so it was not a thing in my family.

catinidaho, judging from your pic you are a beautiful woman with an engaging, welcoming smile. Do what makes you feel your best, makeup or no makeup, I don't believe there is a correct answer, only that you do works best for you.

I am wondering if your post and all the replies have helped you to figure out what you wanted to know?

I read most of this thread and find it interesting that the option for men to wear makeup didn't come up??? Why don't men want to enhance their eyes and lips while minimizing their wrinkles etc? Just a thought...Why should females be the only sex to try to look better?

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25