Community > Posts By > 2OLD2MESSAROUND

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 01:34 PM
crystal fairy posted >>>
I decided yesterday to go and try find me a real publisher for my book/sequel after all, as opposed to self-publishing.
Got the letter ready to send out. Now gotta find me a list of possible publishers and start pumping it out.

So I feel pretty danged good!
happy :banana:

Book(s) aren't done yet, but I know it'll be hard to find a publisher and will prolly take time, so best get on with it and try to get the show on the road.

Say, there...I'd asked about your auto, and what they decided was wrong; if you don't mind me asking?

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 12:51 PM

PacificStar stated >>>
OK PLEASE lets focus on the original topic how we can address the needs of military members; not get drawn down into a big debate over what military actions were good ideas or not. THANK YOU!

NP...I've been waging this war on the DOD far longer then those with whom can only 'TALK' about it! I've got all my congressional/senator email address and they do HEAR FROM ME! :wink:

PacificStar posted >>>
I think that is good citizenship; keep it up. And thanks for the lists. Been a while since I have compiled anything. I tend to know more the civilian resources which I would also encourage Vets to use. I well remember "coming back to the world" outside of the military community and it is "different" and something of a "culture shock".

I see Mingle as a great way for a service member active duty or separating to build a network of friends that would not be so bound by borders. And a great opportunity to be seen as PERSON first and career second.

I do think it is important to really listen sometimes even if it is not always easy. It is tough being someplace far from friends and home and that little extra effort at real friendship is important.

I will still stress it is not always the more severe things like PTSD or serious injury but just getting to know people and how things are done. In the military the instruction/mentoring is a little more common than the civilian world. Sometimes small things mean a lot when you come home like being invited to a BBQ or sharing a babysitter's name.

I well recall those older friends and relatives returning home from Viet Nam; and how they would be 'SHADOW HUMANS' around any social settings! I've always been a 'GOOD EAR' for others to bend when they needed it.

My interest in all the Iraq & Afghanistan service humans came about back in 2003 when the house West of me was purchased by a Stepfather for his returning warrior! That young man would stand on his front porch and just sit and stare blankly over my way while I was out gardening or letting my chickens out...rather un-nerving; so I walked over with a dozen of my eggs and introduced myself to him.
WOW - he started coming over and just purging his soul while helping me weed/trim/mow or just sit and watch my hens!
What he told me about his job - those little children begging for food and other handouts - and the men that were killed during those months he was deployed --- I can't fathom rolling out of bed every day with those horror's and images running around in my mind! He used up all of his 'unemployment'; drank and used drugs and then re-enlisted because he just couldn't fit in with 'REGULAR FOLKS' --- he got killed with 3 days of his return to Iraq --- his folks came to see me when they got the news.
His letter home to them had mentioned me - my chickens - the eggs and my garden produce...it was rough! brokenheart

But it made me so aware of the utter neglect our Military were suffering while deployed and worse upon their return home!
It certainly built a fire deep within my soul...we, 'AMERICANS' - just become apathetic to problems, IMHO

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 12:22 PM
Edited by 2OLD2MESSAROUND on Thu 06/18/15 12:23 PM
Here's the other article that I read...the wounded soldier that was last years winner of DWTS - is the 2nd commentator!

THE GREAT DIVIDE
What do we need to know about veterans?

By Leo Shane III - Stars and Stripes
Published: May 29, 2013

Thomas Brennan, military affairs reporter at the Jacksonville (N.C.) Daily News

During an interview, my future employer asked if I suffered from PTSD due to my service overseas. Unashamed of my diagnosis, I said yes. Months later, the Sandy Hook massacre occurred and he hollered across the newsroom asking if I '��was going to go all PTSD and shoot up the place someday?'��

Do not joke about PTSD. It is a personal battle that hundreds of thousands of veterans share. We may struggle in crowds, have nightmares or have a myriad of issues. Our disorder does not warrant jokes and it does not warrant pity. A fine line of acceptance and respect should be walked. Accept us for who we are and encourage us to continue therapy, despite how difficult we find it. Do not allow us to become one of the 22 veterans who commit suicide daily.

'��Thank you for your service'�� is a default phrase by many. Replace it with action. Thank us by listening to us. Thank us by fighting the VA backlog that prevents us from the care we fought for. Thank us by asking the difficult questions. Make sure we are okay. Make sure we are not forgotten. Make sure we are understood.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J.R. Martinez, actor and 'Dancing with the Stars'�� champion

Veterans want to live as normal of a life as anyone else. However, due to situations they'��ve constantly been put in, it makes the possibility more difficult but not impossible when they return home.

The biggest divide is experience and appreciation. Service members have witnessed life on a level that most citizens have only experienced through a movie. Continued communication is needed, not necessarily to understand each other but to know the limits of one another. We need not to judge each other but listen and work together.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

click on the link for all of the interviews/commentators responses >>> http://www.stripes.com/what-do-we-need-to-know-about-veterans-1.223351

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 11:39 AM
WELLLLLL...I'll be a 'Debby Downer' and say:

If I'd known how much all that physical activity {sports & team roping} would do to my joints...I would have changed the amount of time that I spent doing all that activity!

My numerous broken bones/sprained joints and now arthritis has aged my skeleton structure rapidly!sad

I can remember my freshman year and we gals were so frustrated that our basketball team was only allowed to have 2 members access to full court - that � of the team played only � court {offense/defense}!
Ya, figure that out --- the full court press changed with the National High School League rules by my Sophomore year and all of our girls team got to play 'FULL COURT'.:banana:

Played Catcher Position-fast pitch: 4 yrs grade school softball - 4 yrs high school - 2� yrs college softball = my knees are shot! :cry: There's a reason that my mother's generation are better ambulatory then most of my generation --- they didn't play rugged sports - it wasn't allowed. :tongue:

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 11:15 AM
Edited by 2OLD2MESSAROUND on Thu 06/18/15 11:23 AM
TawtStrat posted >>>
I suppose one thing that you could do is to keep posting militaristic flag waving threads and maybe that would make them feel valued and appreciated.

The problem that I have with that though is that a lot of servicemen come back from wars feeling that the whole business was stupid and awful and the last thing they want to hear is how what they did was great from people that stayed at home and sent them there in the first place, whether they were politicians, or tax paying "patriots" like yourself.

I read this earlier this morning and had to mull it over --- and then I remembered that Reader's Digest had a small article about this very subject and there was another printed link in the RD piece.

Far too often, people assume a level of familiarity with former military that not only breeches proper office conduct but also invades one'��s '��personal space,'�� says Kules, who today is Alumni Director for the Wounded Warrior Project, an organization dedicated to helping severely injured veterans transition back into civilian life.

What are nine things you should never say to a veteran?

1. '��Thank you for your service, but I don'��t think we should have been there in the first place.'��
Everyone has an opinion about the war but not everyone wants to hear it, says Kules, who explains that people often use him as a sounding board for their take on the war.

'��People should recognize their opinion is a personal view and not necessarily an appropriate thing to share with someone who has obvious physical injuries from a conflict,'�� says Kules. This is especially true in the workplace.

2. '��Why did you join? The military is a job for men.'��
This is extremely antiquated thinking, says Barbara Dorazio, an 18-year Army veteran who is now an Administrative Assistant at CVS Health and a member of VALOR, its veterans resource group. “Women are capable of doing most if not all jobs in the military, just like in the civilian workplace,'�� she says. '��Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but it is best to keep them to yourself in the workplace.'��

3. '��You�'re too rigid to deal with sudden changes.'��
Because service members are forced to adhere to a rigid schedule, many civilians assume they are unable to think outside the box or adapt quickly. That couldn'��t be further from the truth. Many veterans are among the most adaptable employees around.

'��Former military have a resourcefulness, an adaptability to change,'�� says David Casey, a former U.S. Marine who is now Vice President, Workforce Strategies and Chief Diversity Officer at CVS Health. And despite standard operating procedures set in the military, '��things never go as planned, and you have to accomplish your mission in all kinds of environments. The ability to be able to adapt is very important, especially in today's corporate environment,'�� Casey adds.

4. 'You'��re a mother/wife, how could you leave your family while you were deployed?'��
Dorazio points out that fathers and husbands have just as difficult a time leaving their families. '��Veterans wants to focus on being home with their families, not relive the deployment,'�� she says.

5. 'How did your husband/boyfriend feel about you being around all those men?'��
'��A veteran'��s relationship with a significant other is no one'��s business but their own,' Dorazio says. 'This holds true for civilians as well.'

6. 'Do you have post-traumatic stress disorder?'��
'��If you are talking to someone about their injuries, then the best way to ask this is to let the veteran volunteer this information him or herself,'�� advises Kules.

7. '��What'��s the worst thing that happened to you over there?'��
To non-veterans, this seems like a harmless question, but it'��s inappropriate, especially in the workplace. '��This is like asking someone, '��What'��s the worst day of your life? Tell me in detail-��no one wants to do that,'�� says Kules.

8. 'Have you ever killed anyone?'��
This question is extremely personal and may force a veteran to relive an episode that he or she prefers not to relive. 'The person asking this question doesn'��t have any idea how the veteran may feel about the situation,'�� says Kules.

9. '��Were you raped?'��
This question may seem pertinent given the rise in reported military sexual assaults, but just as with a civilian, this is an extremely sensitive matter. '��While there is a spotlight on rape in the military right now, as there should be, this question invades a veteran'��s privacy and it may force them to relive painful memories,'�� Dorazio says.

http://www.diversityinc.com/things-not-to-say/9-things-not-to-say-to-a-veteran-coworker/

It made me aware that we often feel it's appropriate to 'PRY' into their lives & military history like they just need to purge to anyone and everyone that says 'THANK YOU' ---
When it's can just create a wave of UNCONTROLLED EMOTIONS that will upset them for hours/days and recreate some nightmares!

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 10:16 AM
Edited by 2OLD2MESSAROUND on Thu 06/18/15 10:19 AM
SassyEuro posted >>>
SUSPECT has been Identified, Manhunt continues

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/18/police-respond-to-shooting-at-sc-church/

2old2 posted >>>
THEY CAUGHT HIM!!!

As much as the FB pages have been 'BLOWING UP' about this incident - look at the quantity of 'COMMENTS' on just this one ABC news link!

Charleston Shooting Suspect Dylann Roof, 21, Apprehended
Jun 18, 2015, 11:35 AM ET
By TOM LIDDY and EMILY SHAPIRO via Good Morning America
4221 Comments
Dylann Roof, the alleged gunman authorities say is responsible for killing nine people in a Charleston, South Carolina, church Wednesday night, has been apprehended, authorities said. 3 males - 6 females

"I can confirm that there is a subject in custody in relation to the shootings in Charleston from last evening," U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch said today at a news conference. "And, of course, this moves us into a different phase of the investigation, which will be pursued as vigorously and with as complete cooperation as the apprehension of this individual."

Police said Roof, 21, was arrested today at a traffic stop in Shelby, North Carolina, about 250 miles north of Charleston.

A citizen saw the suspect'��s car and reported it to police, who responded and made the arrest, police said. Roof cooperated with the officer who stopped him, according to police.

Officials said they believe Roof acted alone.

"I am so pleased we were able to resolve this case quickly," Charleston Police Chief Gregory Mullen said at a news conference.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/charleston-shooting-suspect-dylann-roof-21-apprehended/story?id=31851054

This young man may have some serious mental history and whether or not it's 'HATE' related - who's to know for sure! When he tells the one remaining woman {that he thought was the only 1} "I'm leaving you alive so you can tell everyone what I did">>>{paraphrased}---seems he may just be craving ATTENTION and found his niche for obtaining that!

Cra-Cra-Crazy...walks among us daily; if we could identify those 'TRIGGERS' {whatever they maybe} wouldn't our lives be so much safer/peaceful?

This is just the first layer of this horrid event. shocked

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 08:48 AM

SUSPECT has been Identified, Manhunt continues

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/18/police-respond-to-shooting-at-sc-church/

THEY CAUGHT HIM!!!

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 07:32 AM
Edited by 2OLD2MESSAROUND on Thu 06/18/15 07:38 AM
The Hollywood Reporter reportedly obtained the casting call from New York-based Extra Mile Casting. '��We are looking to cast people for the event to wear t-shirts and carry signs and help cheer him in support of his announcement. We understand this is not a traditional '��background job,' but we believe acting comes in all forms and this is inclusive of that school of thought.'��

$50. for 3hrs of cheeringhis supremeness; WOW, how desperate was that and then he got busted for using Neil Young's song - 'Rock'n In The Free World'

His manager was quick to release a statement regarding the use of the song, stating that it was used without permission and that Neil was actually a Bernie Sanders supporter, according to Fox News.

However, when Trump'��s manager was reached for comment on the issue by FOX411, he countered the accusation, saying the Trump camp had paid for the rights to use the song.

'Through a licensing agreement with ASCAP, Mr. Trump's campaign paid for and obtained the legal right to use Neil Young'��s recording of ‘Rockin In The Free World.'��

However, according to an ASCAP document outlining the terms when using music for political purposes, the user has to contact the publisher or record label for the necessary licenses.

According to an excerpt of the document at Rolling Stone,
'��Can the campaign still be criticized or even sued by an artist for playing his or her song at an event?

Yes. If an artist does not want his or her music to be associated with the campaign, he or she may be able to legal action even if the campaign has the appropriate copyright licenses.'��

That said, the Donald Trump side will refrain from using the song, according to a spokesperson for his campaign who spoke to Billboard.
'��Nevertheless, we won'��t be using it again - there are plenty of songs to choose from. Despite Neil'��s differing political views, Mr. Trump likes Neil very much.'��

http://www.inquisitr.com/2181140/neil-young-says-dont-use-my-song-gets-the-ultimate-response-from-trumps-camp/#0xbVvM7BEfSefTuO.99

Oh...poor ole' comb over; just can't get any love! noway

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 06:20 AM
Started hearing about this heinous event around 4:AM {central time}...and then when I opened my lap top and read some of the comments that scroll up as the headlines are belched out onto the webpages --- SMH

People flipped back & forth with they're opinions from; SHOCK to asking WHY - Why didn't GOD intervene'?'...say something to that young man and change his heart & mind!

CRAZY has no time limit - has no safe zones - has no race - has no age limit! CRAZY = just needing a place to happen:cry:
Prayers for all those that are now dealing directly with this tragic/insanity on this day!

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 06:10 AM

Such Profound Words To Live By ~~~
there will be a 'NAP' in my future today!

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 06:00 AM
Edited by 2OLD2MESSAROUND on Thu 06/18/15 06:28 AM
Many - Many reoccurring dreams and the same repetitive nightmare! We 6 siblings all slept in the same huge room; I often woke up screaming loudly {I was a light sleeper too} not so my siblings --- they'd be sleeping through my screams but not my parents!

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 05:45 AM

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 05:32 AM
SassyEuro posted >>>
DAY 13,

NOTHING NEW
(in 22 hours) :grumble

Mind Blowing - I just can't fathom - or know what life up there would be like; jumping at any small noise - not knowing if it's safe to venture outside to just do daily chores - shop - go any where!noway

And I live in a very rural area - our county is the 5th largest in the state of KS - way too many places to hideout! scared

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 05:26 AM
yawn Tired...didn't sleep very well; more rain coming in again today! Prayers and thoughts for my friends & relatives getting SERIOUS FLOODING down south! brokenheart

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 04:59 AM
Edited by 2OLD2MESSAROUND on Thu 06/18/15 05:11 AM

Looked up some resource s for Vets that I hope every Mingler will keep somewhere for reference.

Suicide Helpline 1-800-273-8255 press 1 Text 838255 24/7/365

www.love our vets.org/does-your-vet-have ptsd/support links

www. operation IV.org extensive resource list

This is not to say every vet is having major issues and needs help. It is just to say it is there and encourage anyone who needs it to go for it with full support and understanding you have every right to it.

Hopefully you find Mingle a welcoming place that is fun and compliments your life. Thank you for your Service and we are proud of you.!!!flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou .

More excellent websites that are for assistance

If you are a war Veteran, find a Vet Center to help with the transition from military to civilian life.
Call the 24/7 Veteran Combat Call Center 1-877-WAR-VETS
(1-877-927-8387) to talk to another combat Veteran.
DoD's Defense Centers of Excellence (DCoE) 24/7 Outreach Center for Psychological Health & Traumatic Brain Injury provides information and helps locate resources.
Call 1-866-966-1020 or email resources@dcoeoutreach.org
Military OneSource
Call 24/7 for counseling and many resources 1-800-342-9647.

woundedveteransfund.com
Help a Wounded Veteran in need, Donate Today. Make a change
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Car Donation for Veterans
www.CarsForVeterans.org
Free 24/7 Pickup & No DMV Hassles.
Full Tax Deduction. Running or Not.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Resources From VA - Find Help From Veterans Affairs.
MakeTheConnection.net/Resources
Find Help From Veterans Affairs. Resources And Support For Veterans.
Resources and Support
Signs and Symptoms
Stories From Other Veterans
Help Spread the Word
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Help for Vets in Crisis | VeteransCrisisLine.net
VeteransCrisisLine.net
Call, chat, or text for 24/7 confidential help for Veterans.
Signs of Crisis
For Active Duty
For Veterans
For Family & Friends
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Employers commit to hiring vets, wounded warriors ...
www.army.mil
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Veterans/Wounded Warriors - AbilityOne
www.abilityone.gov/abilityone_program/veterans.html
AbilityOne Makes Concerted Efforts to Support Wounded Warriors. ... in the VA Wounded Warrior ...
to discuss outreach strategies to help veterans who are blind
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wounded Warrior Project - Official Site
www.woundedwarriorproject.org
Wounded Warrior Project is a military and veterans charity service organization empowering injured veterans and their ... You can help Wounded Warrior Project ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Veteran's Moving Forward - non for profit - placement of assist dogs
Toll-Free Phone: 866.375.1209 Fax: 703.566.3091
VMF Headquarters: Catharpin, VA 20143;
Executive Offices: 909 N. Washington St., Suite 410,
Alexandria, VA 22314
http://www.vetsfwd.org/site/

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 06/18/15 04:46 AM
PacificStar stated >>>
OK PLEASE lets focus on the original topic how we can address the needs of military members; not get drawn down into a big debate over what military actions were good ideas or not. THANK YOU!

NP...I've been waging this war on the DOD far longer then those with whom can only 'TALK' about it! I've got all my congressional/senator email address and they do HEAR FROM ME! :wink:

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Wed 06/17/15 07:52 PM
Edited by 2OLD2MESSAROUND on Wed 06/17/15 07:55 PM
http://youtu.be/myJj0mNNe1Y

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Wed 06/17/15 07:12 PM
rockgnome posted >>>
laugh sounds just like Texas.

then you've heard the one {not so funny/sad but 2 true} about the planters - cactus and the scorpion nest?

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Wed 06/17/15 07:07 PM
jacktrades posted >>>
Resigned, I have to cut a acre of grass and the heat index is 108.grumble

Leigh stated >>>
Ouch!...I just finished mine (3/4 of an acre) about an hour ago...It's 94 here today and the humidity is through the roof...This is very unusual for the Plateau...My grass is starting to look like it's late July...Don't forget to wear a dew rag around your neck Jack...It really helps keep you cool...:wink:

Temps were mild today but it's just so dog-gone humid that the grass never got dried out...had to keep making several passes {and I always mow in a different direction from the previous mowing}...good god it took twice as long for me to 'getter done'!

But it's done and we have what's left of tropical storm 'BILL' arriving later tonight and most of tomorrow!

TURN THE RAIN OFF...Pleeeeeease Mother Nature; pack it up and leave it in California or Alaska...somewhere it's truly needed

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Wed 06/17/15 06:50 PM
sweetestgirl11 stated >>>
We could bring them home and stay out of the Middle East

EXCELLENT IDEA; or we could learn from our A$$-swipe self-inflicted stupid mistakes from Viet Nam and now 11 yrs+ in Iraq & Afghanistan and never - NEVER - NEVER EVER go into another aggressive action with out the proper funding and a well & ready Veteran's Administration up and ready to go!:wink: