Community > Posts By > 2OLD2MESSAROUND

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Sat 07/04/15 04:08 PM
The NOAA
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/hazstats.shtml
site is the one that I've referred to most often when having these discussion about 'Global Warming' and it's going to be interesting to see the marked increase after this years record busting stats are added to the chart.

Preliminary 2014 Statistics Now Online
The U.S. Natural Hazard Statistics provide statistical information on fatalities, injuries and damages caused by weather related hazards. These statistics are compiled by the Office of Services and the National Climatic Data Center from information contained in Storm Data, a report comprising data from NWS forecast offices in the 50 states, Puerto Rico, Guam and the Virgin Islands.

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Sat 07/04/15 03:48 PM
Edited by 2OLD2MESSAROUND on Sat 07/04/15 03:49 PM
About the Concert | A Capitol Fourth | PBS
www.pbs.org/a-capitol-fourth/about/the-concert

History of the National Mall; ...
On July Fourth, America'��s national Independence Day celebration honors our ...
20 cameras positioned around Washington DC, ...

Just watched this; first time in 8 yrs that I didn't have my partner {my mom} to enjoy it with me :cry:
But it was as enjoyable as it's been for all those years, anyway!
I'm able to 'Ohhh & Awww' without the shock and horror that it would cause my 3 little poopers. But my feed lot neighbors to the north of me are having a HUGE FAMILY reunion and their night works will take up another 2-3 hours once it gets dark. grumble noway

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Sat 07/04/15 03:29 PM
Devildog_123 stated >>>
While it is terrible that this happened. There was a sign posted saying that there was a big alligator seen in and NOT to swim in there. The guy decided to ignore that.

Same with other similar situations. Skiing: sign posted don't ski in certain areas as it can cause avalanches.. people ski there.. they get killed doing it.

Don't go into the wilderness to film bear.. people do it.. they get eaten

It is sad, but it is a " shake your head" sad.. as in avoidable.

I've been reading about more 'Bison Attacks' in Yellowstone National park; ever see how many of those stupid humans are getting 'OUT OF THEIR' vehicles to get that perfect photo of those huge bison up close or 'hey, look at that cute little calf' and momma bison runs them down and kills them --- STUPID HUMANS surprised

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Sat 07/04/15 03:26 PM
scared UGHHHHH

And transferred/displaced reptiles after all those monsoon rains and flooding are going to establish their new territories --- just as the article stated.

That 'FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN' is what caused so many residents in the lower precincts to drown or fail to get out of their homes as the water reached such hazardous depths! Mental fear of the snakes and alligators >>>

Do alligators and poisonous snakes pose a threat to residents and emergency workers since their habitats have been flooded?

Snakes, alligators and other wildlife are not normally a serious threat to humans in flooding conditions. Abandoned or stranded pets are more likely to pose a threat as they seek a meal after several days with nothing to eat. However, there is a perception in this part of the world by those who fear snakes and gators that getting into any water that is not a swimming pool invites a snake or alligator attack. I heard a survivor today say that he waited until the last minute to exit his flooding home because he was afraid of snakes that might be in the water. He eventually broke a second floor window to get out and was rescued from the roof of his home. So, even if these wild animals aren't a threat, the phobia some people have of them could have kept some from acting prudently to get out of their homes when the water rose and consequently caused their death by drowning as they were unable to escape as the water pinned them on the inside of their attic roofs. I am not aware of such a scenario, but we all know some people who are "scared to death" of snakes. Once the water recedes, there will be incidences of snakes and perhaps a few displaced alligators stranded in and around damaged structures, on streets, etc.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/HurricaneKatrina/story?id=1087679

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Sat 07/04/15 02:42 PM
Prayers have been answered and now the world & UNICEF will watch to see if this is actually followed through with or just another 'signed document' without the impact/enforcement!!!

History Has Been Made.
Female Genital Mutilation Banned In Nigeria

Kimberley Richards - Jun 03, 2015
"More than 130 million girls and women have experienced female genital mutilation or cutting ..."

Nigeria made history by outlawing female genital mutilation. The ban falls under the Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) Act 2015 that was passed in Senate on May 5 and recently enacted into law.

This was one of the last acts by the outgoing president, Goodluck Jonathan. His successor, Muhammadu Buhari, was sworn into office this past Friday, May 29.
Female genital mutilation or cutting (FGM/C) is the act of either partially or totally removing the external female genitalia or causing injury to the female genital organs for non-medical purposes.

According to UNICEF:

"More than 130 million girls and women have experienced FGM/C in 29 countries in Africa and the Middle East where the practice is most common."

With the help of community activism, campaigns and numbers of organizational efforts to end this practice, UNICEF reported that teenage girls were now one-third less likely to undergo FGM/C today than 30 years ago.

Now with the new law criminalizing this procedure, the hope is the ban will fully eliminate this practice and be strongly enforced to combat any existing societal pressures.

The World Health Organization cites immediate harmful effects of FCM/C that include hemorrhage (bleeding), bacterial infection, open sores, and long-term consequences that include infertility, childbirth complications and recurring bladder infections.

In another UNICEF report, communities who practice FGM often do so to reduce sexual desire in women and to initiate girls to womanhood, among other purposes.

According to "The Guardian's" analysis of 2014 UN data, a quarter of the women in Nigeria have undergone FGM.

Stella Mukasa, director of Gender, Violence and Rights at the International Center for Research on Women, explains the complexity of the implementation of the new law banning FGM/C.

"It is crucial that we scale up efforts to change traditional cultural views that underpin violence against women," she wrote in an article for "The Guardian." "Only then will this harmful practice be eliminated.”

The Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) Act serves to protect women and violence in multiple aspects. BuzzFeed News cited a 2013 version of the bill that highlights its purpose to eliminate violence both in private and public, and end physical, sexual, domestic and psychological violence.

http://nigeria.aplus.com/a/nigeria-bans-genital-mutilation?so=4PJLnoNN3WTe2o8m2gTyXm&ref=ns

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Sat 07/04/15 10:42 AM
pennyg281 posted >>>
happy happy happy happy happy

I proudly post my weight regularly in my weight loss support forum. I'm 220 at the moment my ultimate goal is 180ish. I started at 404 three years ago. If I can do it anyone can. :smile: :smile: :smile:

U R sooo AWESOME

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Sat 07/04/15 06:39 AM
SassyEuro posted >>>
Most I knew. But, the extent of the Swara ,I did not know. I didn't know that many are not aware of the law. And that it is so demented, that if is actually swapping one sex crime for another as some kind of twisted debt.

Honor killings - I did not know the list of pitiful excuses for it was so long & ludicrous. Example: 4 women were executed in 2007 for " clapping their hands " at a wedding. Some one video taped them doing it. And they were apaulding a NON male relative dance at someone's wedding.
Insanity & insecurity & control.... running rampant. Evil, simply evil devil

Oddly - how some regions that have so many years of this type of non-humanitarian treatment to their 'WOMEN FOLK' are seeing a large decline in their population ---noway slaphead

Hmmm, stupid male species --- keep killing off your breeding stock because of your ignorance and utter distain for their very being and WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO HAVE YOUR BABIES?
Perfect example of this - Boko Harem in Ethiopia --- invading neighboring villages and stealing young women; gotta build up his own armies for replacement and objects of entertainment for his hoard of mafia-murderers! ill

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Sat 07/04/15 06:30 AM
2kidsmom stated >>>
I feel unloved...and pissed smooth ****ing off.

DITTO...no more images 4 me: won't be forced into putting up a factual image when I supply those to 'WHOM' I feel secure with after a few exchanges of emails!

Can't put up my cartoon/image choice --- I won't put up ANY!
TY Mingle2 --- not every private image can be forced.

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Sat 07/04/15 06:22 AM
Yes, this heat wave is serious - dangerous to humans and all sorts of birds and other wild species that are struggling to find water!

I'm getting emails from the National Wild Bird Association pleading with people in those areas to remember their regions wild bird population and try to keep fresh water out {dump it every 2 days} for the birds and small butterfly population!

Rather irritating when some of the wealthiest areas will worry about their **BLEEPING** green lawns and not about the wild life that is dying from lack of water. Next year when there's no song birds - no butterflies --- just the stronger predator birds around; will those rich-bast*urds notice then? grumble

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Sat 07/04/15 06:15 AM
SassyEuro posted >>>
2OLD,
I read this, did a little research .. 2 hrs was all I could handle. To call this issue " disturbing " would be an understatement.
I had one of those moments of ...
" I thought I heard everything ".

This topic lead into "honor killings " also disgusting & infuriating.
Especially reading actual cases of both. I am speechless & reluctant to post links at the moment.

But thank you, for making me aware of this evil. Helpless as I feel to do anything to help... at least I'm MORE grateful for my own life & all my female relatives here & for our freedoms. .

I think I was in high school before I'd ever heard the terminology 'female circumcisum' {genital mutilation}; we had a foreign exchange student from Africa and her father was a physician fighting to change those horrid tribal ways {circa 1970's}! There were so many of us young women shocked by what she was telling us!

Blood, Fear and Ritual: Witness to Female Circumcision in ...
[time.com/3425529/...and-ritual-witness-to-female-circumcision-in-kenya

Despite a drop in recent years, female genital mutilation or circumcision is still practiced and valued in some 30 countries, mainly in Africa and the Middle East, ...

We had to find out if that was TRUE or if she was just making crap up to horrify us!

So we asked our Journalist Teacher - and that led us to the local library - only to find out that they didn't have the reference books - so we went to Kansas State University and got access to their library and over a weekend of reading and talking to some other international students --- yes indeed...horrifying things {customs} have been done to our gender for centuries!

What's so rare and heart warming about this story was the authors father standing up to his own genders traditions! Men in those regions don't go against the peer pressure!

Much like the movement to end the cruel 'feet binding' in China & Japan --- just because it was made 'ILLEGAL' the select few humans kept doing it to their little female children until they were threatened with dire consequences!

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Sat 07/04/15 05:52 AM
Edited by 2OLD2MESSAROUND on Sat 07/04/15 05:53 AM

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Fri 07/03/15 04:28 PM
Debbie posted >>>
I did post this in another thread, but I should have put it here.

tomorrow, me and the whole family are all going down to see my nan and granddad, and this could be the last time were all together, unless he makes it to Christmas, im nervous im going to start crying because ill keep thinking is the last time we will all be together. but I need to hold it in, and let go in my bedroom alone when I get back.

Don't forget that the patient will feel it's like the 800# elephant in the room if people don't just SPEAK ABOUT IT; and it's ok to cry...hug the hell out of grandpa and whisper in his ear --- 'will it upset you if I/we cry and just get it over with'...let him be able to BE WHATEVER - HOWEVER he's feeling. :heart:

Being STOIC is even harder - it's exhausting for everyone!
Photo albums are a great conversation mover - allows him to talk about happier moments - people he's missed - people that he's had great moments with that maybe none of you grand kids have ever heard about - jobs that he had - crazy things that happened as a newly wed! {{hugs}} and prayers for you & your family!

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Fri 07/03/15 04:19 PM
Oh - here in the states 'HOSPICE' comes to your home; it's not mandatory to have the patient 'GO TO A HOSPICE FACILITY'; the whole premise is to assist the family with answers to their UNKNOWN questions - guiding them with preparations - getting the medical staff ready - paperwork...just all around general help with medical equipment that will be needed for their home stay!

I've not been able to return yet as a 'HOSPICE' grief counselor but I'm able to man the phones and forward their calls to the appropriate departments & locations for the necessary items.

My dear husband avoided going to his dentist for that lump in his mouth - then the dentist fiddle-farted around for months instead of sending some of the suspicious tissue to a pathologist - and as with your dear grandpa --- by the time we'd fought the mouth cancer/radiation and several rounds of heavy chemo; well when it came back it was bigger/stronger and moving rapidly thorough out his body and right into his brain stem! It had found a nich� in his liver and just poisoned him!
I'm so sorry...rather thought we had corned the market on inept doctors over here!

I used to go out in the garage and beat the BEEE-GEEZERS out of a pillow with my tennis racket; works wonders and it's pretty quiet & and I screamed into that same pillow many - many times! tears

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Fri 07/03/15 04:00 PM
Edited by 2OLD2MESSAROUND on Fri 07/03/15 04:01 PM
Debbie asked >>>
from those who do.

my granddad's cancer has now spread and he Is he terminal now. :cry: brokenheart :cry:

he is struggling mentally,more than physically at the moment and hes getting angry and hes upsetting my nan, this is hard for both of them, and all of us.

the hospital admitted making a mistake, and that they misjudged how aggressive his cancer was, and he was a grade 4 then, im upset by this, but that's another story. brokenheart

could all you lovely people who pray please remember my granddad albert in your prayers, and my nanny hazel too, and my family please.

thanks in advance.flowerforyou

( I :heart: you granddad)

Here in the states we have 'HOSPICE CARE' and they offer a plethora of counseling - advice - just all around help through this dreadful process; does England have any thing comparable - grief guidance to help your lovely 'NAN' right now?

Oh - my memories of my husbands anger; while I tried to understand - tried to put on a brave face - tried to allow his anger to flow over me --- it hurts, it hurts horribly because as the care giver you want to make it ALL RIGHT brokenheart :cry:
And there's no making it 'ALL RIGHT' --- it just making their last days/weeks/months as EASY & HAPPY as any other human can!
But your dear 'NAN' will need loads of support! {{hugs}} for you dear Debbie - this is going to be hard and you'll need loads of support and courage too! flowerforyou

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Fri 07/03/15 02:06 PM
A packed grocery store - on a Friday before a holiday weekend - with the parking lot full of college kids and their fire works tent - shooting off fire works - at each other - while the sign stated to 'BENEFIT MSD' - {roman candles} - who knew humans could be soooooo stupid in the middle of the day - in broad daylight too? rant

At least my KIA wasn't one of the vehicles hit with a hot roman candle bomb!!! Oh - yes...the police were arriving just as I was pulling out! slaphead

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Fri 07/03/15 07:15 AM
Edited by 2OLD2MESSAROUND on Fri 07/03/15 07:16 AM
auraaangzeb posted >>>
People who wait 4 hours to reply to a text with '��lol'�� should be SHOT :)

Hmmmm and your CRYSTAL BALL allowed you to see that they were just ignoring you??? That they were NOT busy working/doing something/finishing up a project that your 'TEXT MESSAGE' arrived in the middle of noway

This was sent to me this early AM via FB ---

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Fri 07/03/15 07:02 AM
Oh...well; I'm not that deeply thinking this early...but I did find this quote and my dearly departed would have loved it>>>

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Fri 07/03/15 07:00 AM
Tmommy posted >>>
Good morning minglers
what is today? Friday?
Whew I might feel almost back
on track and somewhat normal today bigsmile

Are you all unpacked yet '?'...always loved doing the kitchen!

And as often as my brother & I moved our folks --- we had quite the system --- what mom & dad were used to - and sticky notes stuck to the cabinet doors and drawers so they'd know and remember where the essential items were placed.

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Fri 07/03/15 06:58 AM
melmaxx posted >>>
UGGHHHH....don't have that coffee cup in me hands YET!!!

Good Mornin Minglers flowerforyou drinker

:wink: flowerforyou Good Mornin Trouble smooched

Drank my mug of 'JAVA' at 5: am; had things to get done before the heat & humidity ramped up! Chickens - neighbors house sitting {3 dogs & their bunny}, clean and refill hummer feeders - water all of my large flower containers - clean a few of the dirty eggs - make my shopping list! Just enough rain last night to push the humidity up to 100% --- yipppeeeee

Now I'm just cooling off ~~~ checking over my 'gotta have list'!

2OLD2MESSAROUND's photo
Thu 07/02/15 08:14 PM
melmexx stated >>>
Oh, sorry....forgot why I came in here.

Goodnight Gracie !!

DITTO...trying to watch a movie on my tablet and I keep falling asleep - don't want to drop my tablet and break it! Lights Out!!!

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 24 25