Community > Posts By > Arcamedees

no photo
Fri 07/30/10 08:16 AM

Belief is a hard structure to break.

I don't care what other people believe as long as they don't push it on me...when they push it on me I like defying it with logic.

Unfortunatly, most often, using logic is about as effective on them as pissing in the wind.

no photo
Thu 07/29/10 05:43 AM

Archie??

And, are you an accountant, by any chance?

Archie comes from Archimedes

No, I am a mathematician and a computer scientist by training, and a loser by trade.

Archimedes and I may have similar handles and may share a similar kind of intellect, I'm thinking he'd like the moniker "Archie" more than me. "Archie" reminds me too much of bubblegum and really bad comics.

I understand. I've seen mathematical proofs that practically anything plus practically anything can equal practically anything. And since the invention of Windows, computers only seem to make sense about 75% of the time. More's the pity.
I doubt you are a bonafide loser. Someone possessing such wonderfull wit as you obviously have would never rank very low in my book.

no photo
Wed 07/28/10 06:53 AM

I don't want to make you even more depressed, Archie... honest, I honestly don't, but I don't see that A+B=C.

Archie??

And, are you an accountant, by any chance?

no photo
Tue 07/27/10 10:02 AM
When people seem intelligent but just cannot or will not grasp simple logic?
I know the brainwashing of religion is strong, but still, why is it so damn hard to get people to see that A+B=C? It shouldn't be that HARD!

Humans depress me.

no photo
Tue 07/27/10 09:41 AM

Arcamedees wrote:

While it is true I am ignorant of many things, everyone is, from your postings, some would say rantings, it is obvious what you believe in. You've spelled it out numerous times.

I seriously doubt that you have the faintest clue what I "believe".

I don't "believe" in anything any more strongly the String Theorists "believe" in strings.

You seem to be out to science as a some sort of 'club' to beat other people over the head with in the utterly false pretense that science somehow supports your views over theirs.

That, my friend, is your delusion, not mine.

I'm complete harmony with everything that science and the scientific method stands for. Nothing I say goes against science.

I don't need to prove my conjectures because conjectures don't require proof. Moreover, I have already demonstarted more than sufficient observational evidence for the existence of 'spirit' as I define it.

What you might argue with is my definition of 'spirit'. But that moves over to philosophy and is totally out of the realm of science.

What I can, and have shown, is that it makes just as much sense based on current modern scientific theories to suggest that the physical universe arises from "consciousness", as it does to suggest that "consciousness" arises from the physics. The scientific observation that information must exist in the quantum vacuum, and must have also preexisted the Big Bang, is all the 'evidence' I need to support my theories and conjectures.

Therefore my philosophy is as much in harmony with the knowledge of science as anyone's.

The bottom line is that science does support your views over mine. You Sir, are grossly misrepresenting science and exhibiting your own ignorance of science by even remotely suggesting that it does.

Whatever.
In any case, since you won't or can't address what I've written, I'm done.
Done with banging my head against some mad bugger's wall.

no photo
Tue 07/27/10 09:18 AM

Also, I can't understand why you think that the Bible writings can be so inaccurate, and even refer to it being myth. The truth is, what we know about Buddha is enshrined in legends and myths since the texts containing his words were not written until about two centuries after his death by an anonymous author. Meanwhile, much of the new testament was written only decades after the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and even the stories in the old testament that many conveniently label as myth have been confirmed by scientific discovery (the walls of Jericho, the cities of Sodom & Gomorah, to name a few). There is also the writings of the historian Josephus. Your "myth analogy" doesn't stand up under scrutiny.

"

Everything written about your Jesus was written at least 3 generations after his supposed death from stories passed down by word of mouth. Everything written about your Jesus can be found in other, older, mythological stories.
And just because some story happens to have a real location in it, doesn't make the story true. Surely, you can see that.

no photo
Tue 07/27/10 09:11 AM

I sure do disagree with the statement that more faith is required to be atheist.

that faith is required to not believe in something is another way for a believer to pull others into their God delusions

To have FAITH that the universe came into being from nothing by pure random accident is really no different from having FAITH that it came into being from something for a reason. laugh

To believe in either scenario requires FAITH.

then that would mean that you believe that God didn't pop out of nothing and therefore had a creator

Exatly.

no photo
Tue 07/27/10 09:11 AM

I sure do disagree with the statement that more faith is required to be atheist.

that faith is required to not believe in something is another way for a believer to pull others into their God delusions

To have FAITH that the universe came into being from nothing by pure random accident is really no different from having FAITH that it came into being from something for a reason. laugh

To believe in either scenario requires FAITH.

It would be more accurate to say that the universe came into being by processes as yet known. THAT requires no "faith".

no photo
Tue 07/27/10 09:05 AM

lol...indeed

no photo
Tue 07/27/10 08:59 AM

Proof that God exists 101:

Have you ever seen a building? If so, how do you know there was a builder? The building is absolute proof that the builder exists.

I was recently in Myrtle Beach at an art gallery, looking at various paintings. If you were looking at the paintings, how would you know that there was a painter? The painting is absolute proof that the painter exists.

Imagine walking out into a field of apple trees, witnessing hundreds of apples laying randomly on the ground. Now imagine that you walk into the same field one week later, but instead of the apples being strewn randomly on the ground, they are all lined up into three large "figure eights." How would you explain such an occurance? That 1) it happened by chance or "evolved" that way? or 2) that someone with an intelligent mind made it to be that way?

The point: When you look at creation, that is proof that there is a creator. I don't need "faith" to believe there was a Creator; just need to look around.

Think about it: There is "order" throughout the whole of creation....from the atom, to the sun-moon-stars, the seasons of the year, the flowers, the trees, the earth spinning on its axis at the perfect place for "life" to exist. Is it really reasonable to say that the order of creation simply "happened?" I think not.

The same deep scientific principle can be used when referring to the human body. Look at the human eye, for example. 40,000 nerve endings and focusing muscles, and 137,000,000 light sensitive cells working in harmony for one to see. Even Charles Darwin said that to suppose that the eye could have been formed by natural selection was an utter absurdity in the highest degree. (The Origin of the Species, Page 167.)

You're kidding, right?

no photo
Tue 07/27/10 08:58 AM

Letting go of man made religions freed my mind and soul.

Illogical drives me crazy.

And then one has to believe in superiority, hypocrisy and prejudice to be a part of the Christian based religions.

Believing that man is some kind of out of control creature that needs a god to control him and punish him when he is bad is too immature of a belief for me. I have outgrown the need for a parent figure to bail me out, reassure me, spank me, etc....

indeed.
And illogical notions drive me crazy, so to speak, too.

no photo
Tue 07/27/10 08:56 AM

I am dubious at the prospects that anyone who thinks Quantum Mechanics has "philosophical issues" could be enlightend by a mere book...
However, you might try "Physics-The Elegant Universe".

Anyone who thinks that Quantum Mechanics doesn't present us with extremely interesting and challenging "Philosophical Issues" has got to be a pretty insensitive and mindless individual. Albert Einstein and Neils Borh debated the meaning of complentarity for years, and it became one of the most popular debates in all of science. Still unresolved to this very day.

I read "The Elegant Universe" years ago, even before the documentary came out. I own the documentary and I've watched that more times that I've kept track of. In fact, if you want to see some "Philosophical Scientists" try watching the video documentary. Just about every physicist on there has a philosophical opinion about the science of physics.

Have you read "The Trouble with Physics", by Lee Smolin? He raises many of the same issues that I raise. And he was an active String Theorist for many years.

uh huh. You obviously don't know the difference between opinion and philosophy. But hey, whatever.

no photo
Tue 07/27/10 08:48 AM
Edited by Arcamedees on Tue 07/27/10 08:51 AM

Personally, I believe it takes more faith to believe that there is no God, than to believe that there is.

Oh really. Gosh, I've never heard that one before. sheesh...

Actually, I can prove that God exists in about 30 seconds, without referring to the Bible or faith.

Somehow, I seriously doubt that.

no photo
Tue 07/27/10 08:45 AM

Arcamedees, you seem to be bent on creating an adversarial relationship where none needs to exist.

You say:

Science tends to destroy or remove the kinds of fallacious beliefs you and most others like you like to have

You’re jumping to some pretty far-fetched and unwarranted conclusions here. You have no idea whatsoever whether any of my beliefs are “fallacious” or not.

I’ve already told you that science does not conflict with any of my beliefs. If such a conflict existed I would be quite interested in that particular scientific discovery. Currently no such scientific discovery exists.

So your attempt to “pit” science against my “beliefs” is utterly absurd and totally ignorant.

If only you had any idea what science was and how it worked...oi vay....

So your idea of the scientific method is to just jump to unwarranted conclusions about what other people might believe?

I don’t see where you have a clue about science or how to properly use it. On the contrary if you’re attempting to use is as a battering ram to support an atheistic view of life then you are indeed abusing it in an extremely ignorant way.

I'm also guessing that you don't exactly read everything I write nor do you completely understand what little you do. Whether this is do to inability, laziness, or just unwillingness, I cannot say.

While it is true I am ignorant of many things, everyone is, from your postings, some would say rantings, it is obvious what you believe in. You've spelled it out numerous times.

It has often been said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing, over and over, expecting different results everytime.
With that in mind, I'm going to try this one more time.

You say you're a physicist. I believe that unlikely. Scientists, on the whole, do not believe in things w/o proof of their existance. They do not believe in something just because no scientific principle can prove it doesn't exist. Most scientists know you can't prove a negative. You're right in saying I can't prove your godthing doesn't exist. Just like you can't prove there isn't a 900ft flying invisable silent transdimentional moth flying over my head. LACK OF EVIDENCE (for or against) IS NOT EVIDENCE. If you were in any scientific field, you'd know that. I think it more likely you're just a silly kid w/ delusions of grandeur.

You believe what you believe because you want to. Period. You've presented no evidence whatsoever that your godthing exists. Period. What you keep repeating, ad nauseum(sp?), is that science can't prove your godthing doesn't exist. What you fail to realize is that science can't prove your godthing exists either. And any good scientist will tell you, it is a bad thing to believe in something just because there's no evidence against it.

I think it a very great shame that it seems like someone screwed you up so badly. I truly hope you get the help you obviously need. And yeah, if someone really believes God really speaks to them directly, they really are insane. If you don't believe me, go ask a shrink.
No seriously, go ask a shrink.

no photo
Tue 07/27/10 07:56 AM
So...I'm guessing I'm the only one on here with a life....
yawn happy

no photo
Sat 07/24/10 09:58 AM

At last! An audience! waving

laugh laugh laugh

no photo
Fri 07/23/10 10:41 PM

Employees aren't going to be responsible for paying for it, per se, for the most part. Employers will. Additional payroll taxes, that the employee and employer will have to pay, will happen. Thus, driving the cost of having an employee up. Thus, driving the incentive to keep or hiring an employee down. This will be one of the final death knells for our economy.

In an article by Shawn Tully (Money.cnn.com) the question of deciding if it’s worth paying the penalties is cheaper than covering employees has been explored by some major employers, including AT&T, Verizon, Caterpillar and Deere.

Here is a quote from the article:

[Caterpillar and AT&T actually spell out the cost differences: Caterpillar did its estimate in November, when the most likely legislation would have imposed an 8% payroll tax on companies that do not provide coverage. Even with that immense penalty, Caterpillar stated that it could shave $25 million a year, or almost 10% from its bill. Now, because the $2,000 is far lower than 8%, it could reduce its bill by over 70%, by Fortune's estimate. Caterpillar did not respond to a request for comment.

AT&T revealed that it spends $2.4 billion a year on coverage for its almost 300,000 active employees, a number that would fall to $600 million if AT&T stopped providing health care coverage and paid the penalty option instead. AT&T declined comment.

If these and, other large employers, determine it is financially beneficial to forego company insurance the employees would have to pay for their own insurance, probably through their state exchange. BUT – to remain competitive in the benefits area of employment …. I think the big question here is – which major company will be the first to choose the risk of loosing valued employees and that competitive edge?

The article goes on to say:
[The reason the bill doesn't add to the deficit, the CBO states, is that fewer than 25 million Americans will be collecting the subsidies the bill mandates in 2020.

Those subsidies are indeed big: families of four earning between $22,000 and $88,000 would pay between 2% and 9.5% of their incomes on premiums; the federal government would pay the rest. So policies for a family making $66,000 would cost them just $5,300 a year with the government picking up the difference: more than $10,000 by most estimates.

Another poster wrote:

"Lower-income Americans who can't afford to buy insurance will get help in one of two ways. The bill expands Medicaid, the free government plan for the poor and disabled, to anyone making up to about $15,000 a year. (About 16 million new people are expected to go into Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program because of the bill.) Second, it would provide subsidies to people who aren't poor enough to qualify for Medicaid but still struggle to afford insurance. Individuals making up to about $44,000 would qualify for some kind of subsidy".

Which reminded me – I never did look up what will happen to the already existing entitlement programs which insure children or subsidize families to have insurance for their kids. Do they just go away? ??

That's all fine and dandy for big companies. What about small companies? Y'know, where most people work. I used to pay a decent livable wage. Then they raised the minimum. Now my employees qualify and NEED public assistance (welfare and food stamps) because the price of everything jumped up so high. I can't afford to pay any more because all my costs went up too. Now I'm going to have to deduct more from my people's pay or pay a hefty penalty. I'm looking at having to fire someone to pay for all this crapola sandwich. And I guarendamntee you, so is every other small business. Yeah, that'll help out the economy.
Why oh why is it so damnably hard for politicians to consider the law of unintended consequences? Mark my words, when this comes into effect, unemployment will jump up another 10-20%.

no photo
Thu 07/22/10 05:42 AM
It will fail, but not for any of the reasons you mentioned.
Employees aren't going to be responsible for paying for it, per se, for the most part. Employers will. Additional payroll taxes, that the employee and employer will have to pay, will happen. Thus, driving the cost of having an employee up. Thus, driving the incentive to keep or hiring an employee down. This will be one of the final death knells for our economy.

And it's worse than that. One of the provisions of the health care bill deals with the IRS form 1099. It says that ANY goods or services that ANY business purchases that amount to $600 or more in a calandar year must be documented with a 1099. Can you imagine the tsunami of forms that will have to be filled out? Can you imagine the cost and time to small busineses? It's friggin ridiculous. Why would anyone want to stay in business or start one knowing how much MORE paperwork they'll have to do? Yet another death knell...

The best cure for the healthcare system is the free market economy. If you get rid of the insurance companies altogether AND absolutely deny services to anyone who won't pay. Right now, I'd rather go see a veternarian than a doctor. Vets are cheaper, there's no waiting, and because there's no insurance, one can bring enough cash in one's pocket to pay for services rendered.

no photo
Mon 07/19/10 09:52 AM

Arcameedes wrote:

Quantum mechanics is a useful tool for describing how much of the universe works, at least on the quantum level. However, much of what it lacks can be filled in by the application of string theory, M theory, and supersymetry. None of which, in even the slightest way, postulates the existance of a "spirit".

I would beg to differ with you on your claim here. You say that String Theory and supersymmety can filled in much of what QM lacks.

That's news to me. I've been following this stuff for years and I've never heard any such claims by any reputable scientist.

On the contrary, String Theory presumes QM as a foundational postulate, just as it also presumes many of the constraints of Relativity to be true.

At BEST, all String Theory has 'promised' to do is meld together Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity into a seemless theory. And it hasn't even come close to fulfilling that "promise".

There is absolutely NOTHING in String Theory that 'promises' to explain away complementarity, or anything close to that. String theory makes absolutely no 'promises' about resolving any of the philosophical issues associated with QM at all.

In fact, if it did resolve them then QM would fall. But how ironic would that be since String Theory is already using QM as a foundational basis? You'd end up having a theory that basically destroys the very theory upon which is stands. There's got to be some self-referenced paradoxes associated with that.

Where did you ever get that idea that String Theory promises to resolve the mysteries of QM? Can you point to a book? I'd be interested in reading it.

I am dubious at the prospects that anyone who thinks Quantum Mechanics has "philosophical issues" could be enlightend by a mere book...
However, you might try "Physics-The Elegant Universe".

no photo
Mon 07/19/10 09:44 AM
Edited by Arcamedees on Mon 07/19/10 09:55 AM

Science doesn't "support" atheism. Neither does it "support" any religious or spiritual or however you want to label it, belief system.
Science postulates, through mathematics, experimentation, and theory--backed by mathematics or experimentation, how the universe works. The default position, if you will, is not to believe (in anything) unless proven by mathematics or experimentation.
Since there has never been any mathematics or experimentation done that shows a spiritual component to reality, any belief in such must therefore be, at best, philosophy.
Your attempts to show that your beliefs are true and correct because of the lack of evidence against them only serves to illustrate your lack of understanding of basic scientific principals.

We just part company on that particular opinion.

That's all.

You speak about science and 'belief'. But science has absolutely nothing to do with 'belief'.

In other words, you say:

Science postulates, through mathematics, experimentation, and theory--backed by mathematics or experimentation, how the universe works. The default position, if you will, is not to believe (in anything) unless proven by mathematics or experimentation.

I say that this is utter nonsense. Many scientists had very profound 'beliefs' in their conjecturs before they were actually proven to be 'facts'.

Eistein was quite confident in his theory of Relativity before it had been experimentally verified. String theorists obviously 'believe' in the existence of strings, and even 11-dimensions of spacetime, even though none of these things have yet to be confirmed by science.

Science has nothing at all to do with "belief". Nada, zip, zilch.

Science tries to deal only in observational 'facts'. Things which can be observed and verified via experimental techniques. It doesn't deal with anything beyond that one way or the other.

If you think for one second that I'm suggesting that 'science' should trash the scientific method and instead employ a method of 'belief', they you are grossly mistaken. Like Redykelous had posted in the past, science and religion are two entirely different things.

I in no way put down anything that science does. I'm a physicist myself. I love science and mathematics both. I completely accept the methods of science and all of the 'confirmed' observations. Although, even in that realm I'm forced to accept the word of some other scientists because I can't always make the observations directly myself. And sometimes scientists makes mistakes. Theories fall, and/or are replaced by updated theories that may add entirely new information concerning the nature of previous "observations".

There are some things that I personally 'believe' are so well-rooted in science that they will never be overturned. Like evolution and the 'fact' that the Earth is not the center of the universe. I think we have enough information to recognize both of these things to be a 'fact'.

However, like I say, there is nothing at all in science that conflict with any of my spiritual views. Therefore why not continue to postulate them and make conjectures about them? Who knows? Maybe someday some of these postulates and conjectures may actually become provable.

In the meantime, there is nothing in science that conflicts when anything that I "believe". And as long as that remains the case, then there is no 'scientific' reason to reject these 'beliefs'.

I also recognize that a 'belief' does not equate to a 'fact' and I don't confuse the two.

just out of curiousity, did you even read all the words I wrote?
slaphead
In any case, you are quite wrong in your assertion that science has nothing to do with belief, per se. Science tends to destroy or remove the kinds of fallacious beliefs you and most others like you like to have. If only you had any idea what science was and how it worked...oi vay....
Sorry, I don't believe you're a physicist. From your recent posts, I would guess you're just a kid w/ delusions of grandeur. Kinda sad, actually.

Your assertion that "I say that this is utter nonsense. Many scientists had very profound 'beliefs' in their conjecturs before they were actually proven to be 'facts'", is actually utter nonsense. What you imply is that any time someone comes up w/ an idea, they also believe in said idea. Einstein believed in Relativity because it fit the math, of the time. Or rather, the math showed Relativity to be true. He didn't just come up with ideas and then try to get the math to fit the idea. Well, until later in his life when he was trying to unify gravity w/ electromagnetism--and failed utterly.
String theorists do not obviously believe in String Theory. Neither do any good scientists believe in any unproven theory. And by "believe" I mean being certain something is true. Lots of scientists might THINK something is true, but yet unproven. In which case, they use math and the scientific method to either prove or disprove it. In the specific case of String Theory, where no known experiment can be performed to either prove it or disprove it, only the math of this theory can be tested.
Believing in something w/o proof is not science, nor scientific. It is, I believe, what some people call "faith". Y'know, what you have, when you believe in your spirit thing.

All your postering and bluster still amounts to the same thing. There is no proof against "spirituality" so you believe in it. Nevermind that there isn't any proof for it. Lack of evidence is evidence. Like I said before, any scientists worth his sheepskin knows that argument is b.s..

But what do I know? I don't have a direct line to God, like you do...
laugh

1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 25 Next