Community > Posts By > Arcamedees

no photo
Fri 10/01/10 09:18 AM

Our father hates no one.

If that's true, then "Our Father" can't be the God of the Bible.

And is it loving for a father to discipline his children or not discipline his children. Not specifically physically, just some form of punishment. And in a more personally perspective, if you had a child and your child continued to deny you as his/her parent, would you continue to provide for that child? Continue to show love to this child no matter how bad the child got towards even down to calling you dirt? Even as far as saying how bad of a parent you are?

If I was a bad parent then my child would be telling the TRUTH and it would be up to me to better myself. Taking it out on the child would be totally selfish and irresponsible of me.

I have never claimed that "Our Creator" is a bad parent.

That's your misunderstanding.

All I have ever said is that the God depicted in the Biblical stories is a horrible example of a parent.

However, since I don't believe that those stories have anything to do with "Our Creator", then I'm clearly not suggesting what you are attempting to claim. I am not suggesting that "Our Creator" is a poor parent. On the contrary, I'm saying that I refuse to believe in the Biblical picture of God because I don't believe that "Our Creator" is that unwise, sick, and demented.

In other words, I refuse to insult "Our Creator" by believing that a bunch of male-chauvinistic idiots speak for him.

You, on the other hand, seem to have no problem at all insulting "Our Creator" by demanding that these stories do indeed describe "him".

So who's truly insulting "Our Creator"?

The person who believes that "Our Creator" is far wiser than a bunch of stupid male-chauvinistic Hebrews?

OR the person who demands that "Our Creator" isn't any wiser than a bunch of stupid male-chauvinistic Hebrews?

Who's insulting "Our Creator"? huh

As far as I can see, to even believe in the Bible is an automatic insult to "Our Creator".

===========================================
If that's true, then "Our Father" can't be the God of the Bible.
===========================================

Why do you say as such? The bible NEVER tells us of any time, place, or being that our father hates. The father loves EVERYONE no matter what. With that love comes punishment to mold us into great of a person, same reasoning someone punishes their child.
----------------------------------------------

=============================================
If I was a bad parent then my child would be telling the TRUTH and it would be up to me to better myself. Taking it out on the child would be totally selfish and irresponsible of me.
==============================================

With this you're insinuating that our father is a bad parent. What evidence do you have to support such an accusation? What has our father done that was so horrible as to where his children would deny him?

So...all those stories about God commanding the killing or enslaving whole populations, that was done out of love? If that's God's love, he IS a sick and twisted little freak now, isn't he. And quite frankly, he can keep his "love".
And as far as He being a father figure, what kind of "father" says to some of his children, "Hey, go over there and KILL all your brothers and sisters. And all their kids too. Why? Because I like you better than them. They pissed me off."?
I'll tell you. A really f'ed up father.

Personally, if I die and stand before God, I'll simply ask if the Bible is more or less true. If it is, I'll be happy to cuss God out and jump into Hell. Satan was right in his rebellion and he could use a few pointers in tactics.

no photo
Thu 09/30/10 11:38 AM
Edited by Arcamedees on Thu 09/30/10 11:57 AM

anyway cowboy, it was a good post. i never saw anywhere in what you wrote that said the bible was the first or only book to know this stuff, so whatever these lefties argument is, it means nothing. some people think they know everything about everything and waste to much time trying to prove it. that alone shows how much they really know.

I'm not trying to prove anything. No one can ever prove anything. Heck no one can even prove the sky is blue. It boils down to accepting the truth.
i wasn't saying you were trying to prove anything, i was talking the the other lefties...

And in response to the rest of your reply.

No one said the bible was the first or only book to know this stuff. All the bible is, is a collection of scribes in which we call books. Eg., book of job, book of matthew, ect.

In fact, there are other books. Still refered to as the holy bible, but that's why we have different interpretations eg., king james version, standard version, and many more.

The bible itself isn't what's important or what is the value. It's the knowledge inside of the bible that is the important part and the most valuable thing.

the bible has great morals in it, and everyone could get something good out of any religions bible, without having to be religious.

The bible is a great tool. It is the key to receiving the gift of heaven. All the knowledge there is on how to receive such a great gift is held inside that book people call the holy bible.

I'm thinking God shoulda hired a ghost writer. A holy ghost writer, if you will.

no photo
Thu 09/30/10 11:35 AM

anyway cowboy, it was a good post. i never saw anywhere in what you wrote that said the bible was the first or only book to know this stuff, so whatever these lefties argument is, it means nothing. some people think they know everything about everything and waste to much time trying to prove it. that alone shows how much they really know.

I'm not trying to prove anything. No one can ever prove anything. Heck no one can even prove the sky is blue. It boils down to accepting the truth.
i wasn't saying you were trying to prove anything, i was talking the the other lefties...

And in response to the rest of your reply.

No one said the bible was the first or only book to know this stuff. All the bible is, is a collection of scribes in which we call books. Eg., book of job, book of matthew, ect.

In fact, there are other books. Still refered to as the holy bible, but that's why we have different interpretations eg., king james version, standard version, and many more.

The bible itself isn't what's important or what is the value. It's the knowledge inside of the bible that is the important part and the most valuable thing.

the bible has great morals in it, and everyone could get something good out of any religions bible, without having to be religious.

Yeah.
My favorite morals are throwing one's daughter out to "appease" an unruley crowd and the mass murdering and or enslaving of people's different than "us". Gotta love those.

no photo
Thu 09/30/10 11:17 AM

So you're gonna tell me you have no faith at all?

affirmative

1. You have no faith that you will eat today?

you don't need faith to eat...you need food to eat

2. You have no faith tomorrow will come?

tomorrow never comes...everytime it tries to come it turns into today

3. You have no faith that you'll get your bills paid this month?

faith do not pay any bills...it requires money to do that

And so on. None of that is set in stone and a for sure thing for ANYONE. It boils down to having faith all those will be accomplished.

if nothing as you say is set in stone...then wouldn't that also apply to faith ...if you claim that it takes faith to get things accomphish...then you are talking about witchcraft not faith

drinker :thumbsup:

no photo
Thu 09/30/10 11:13 AM

Figures...

"I have heard many times that atheists know more about religion than religious people," Silverman said. "Atheism is an effect of that knowledge, not a lack of knowledge. I gave a Bible to my daughter. That's how you make atheists."

religion is not about knowledge it's about faith....and faith can only exist due to lack of knowledge

"The more you know, the less you'll believe."---unknown

no photo
Thu 09/30/10 11:12 AM

there is really no need to defend ignorance, as it is only a lack of knowledge about something

since I am sure noone here knows EVERYTHING there is to know about EVERYTHING,, I stand by my opinion that a limited thirty question test on the whole subject of RELIGION,, is at best, only an indication of how well people know those things the authors of the test know,,,not an indication of general knowledge of what one is specifically worshipping,,

the questions cited were about religious HISTORY in large,, which is evidence and facts regarding historical FIGURES, and few of the questions were actually about the bible or what the bible teaches,, so the test is not necessarily an indictment against those who follow religion,,,because the topic is too broad to truly encompas SPECIFIC faiths,,,or SPECIFIC beliefs

I could easily find thirty random questions about politics that politiicans wouldnt know , heck, I watch smarter than a fifth grader and there are plenty of things they know that adults dont know,,,,but that is an indication that the kids are learning and using things that the adults just dont use anymore

I applaud knowledge, but I dont expect anyone to know everything on any subject

I disagree. No surprise there.

Also, It's my opinion that any adult that loses a contest of knowledge known with a 5th grader should, at the very least, be spaded or neutered so we can get those dumb masses out of the gene pool.
I *hate* that show. It depressith me mightily.

no photo
Thu 09/30/10 11:00 AM

The difference between begging and busking is I offer a service for the money I collect, moreover I never ask for tips.

Ah. Well, I suspect it's merely a matter of semantics in OKC. Probably location, too. Most of the beggars and buskers do their thing on the corners of on/off ramps of the highway. Or other busy street corners. There've been a few guitar players but they never stay long at any one place. I would guess it's because the police keep moving them out.

Best signs I've seen: "I'm not gonna lie. I need a beer." and "I bet you a dollar you read this sign."

I wonder. Do the police require the Firemen to get a license when they go begging for whatever the hell thing they want money for?

no photo
Tue 09/28/10 11:03 PM

1. Only in recent years has science discovered that everything we see is composed of invisible atoms. Here, Scripture tells us that the "things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."

2. Medical science has only recently discovered that blood-clotting in a newborn reaches its peak on the eighth day, then drops. The Bible consistently says that a baby must be circumcised on the eighth day.

3. At a time when it was believed that the earth sat on a large animal or a giant (1500 B.C.), the Bible spoke of the earth’s free float in space: "He...hangs the earth upon nothing" (Job 26:7).

4. The prophet Isaiah also tells us that the earth is round: "It is he that sits upon the circle of the earth" (Isaiah 40:22). This is not a reference to a flat disk, as some skeptic maintain, but to a sphere. Secular man discovered this 2,400 years later. At a time when science believed that the earth was flat, is was the Scriptures that inspired Christopher Columbus to sail around the world (see Proverbs 3:6 footnote).

5. God told Job in 1500 B.C.: "Can you send lightnings, that they may go, and say to you, Here we are?" (Job 38:35). The Bible here is making what appears to be a scientifically ludicrous statement—that light can be sent, and then manifest itself in speech. But did you know that radio waves travel at the speed of light? This is why you can have instantaneous wireless communication with someone on the other side of the earth. Science didn’t discover this until 1864 when "British scientist James Clerk Maxwell suggested that electricity and light waves were two forms of the same thing" (Modern Century Illustrated Encyclopedia).

6. Job 38:19 asks, "Where is the way where light dwells?" Modern man has only recently discovered that light (electromagnetic radiation) has a "way," traveling at 186,000 miles per second.

7. Science has discovered that stars emit radio waves, which are received on earth as a high pitch. God mentioned this in Job 38:7: "When the morning stars sang together..."

8. "Most cosmologists (scientists who study the structures and evolution of the universe) agree that the Genesis account of creation, in imagining an initial void, may be uncannily close to the truth" (Time, Dec. 1976).

9. Solomon described a "cycle" of air currents two thousand years before scientists "discovered" them. "The wind goes toward the south, and turns about unto the north; it whirls about continually, and the wind returns again according to his circuits" (Ecclesiastes 1:6).

10. Science expresses the universe in five terms: time, space, matter, power, and motion. Genesis 1:1,2 revealed such truths to the Hebrews in 1450 B.C.: "In the beginning [time] God created [power] the heaven [space] and the earth [matter] . . . And the Spirit of God moved [motion] upon the face of the waters." The first thing God tells man is that He controls of all aspects of the universe.

11. The great biological truth concerning the importance of blood in our body’s mechanism has been fully comprehended only in recent years. Up until 120 years ago, sick people were "bled," and many died because of the practice. If you lose your blood, you lose your life. Yet Leviticus 17:11, written 3,000 years ago, declared that blood is the source of life: "For the life of the flesh is in the blood."

12. All things were made by Him (see John 1:3), including dinosaurs. Why then did the dinosaur disappear? The answer may be in Job 40:15–24. In this passage, God speaks about a great creature called "behemoth." Some commentators think this was a hippopotamus. However, the hippo’s tail isn’t like a large tree, but a small twig. Following are the characteristics of this huge animal: It was the largest of all the creatures God made; was plant-eating (herbivorous); had its strength in its hips and a tail like a large tree. It had very strong bones, lived among the trees, drank massive amounts of water, and was not disturbed by a raging river. He appears impervious to attack because his nose could pierce through snares, but Scripture says, "He that made him can make his sword to approach unto him." In other words, God caused this, the largest of all the creatures He had made, to become extinct.

13. Encyclopedia Britannica documents that in 1845, a young doctor in Vienna named Dr. Ignaz Semmelweis was horrified at the terrible death rate of women who gave birth in hospitals. As many as 30 percent died after giving birth. Semmelweis noted that doctors would examine the bodies of patients who died, then, without washing their hands, go straight to the next ward and examine expectant mothers. This was their normal practice, because the presence of microscopic diseases was unknown. Semmelweis insisted that doctors wash their hands before examinations, and the death rate immediately dropped to 2 percent. Look at the specific instructions God gave His people for when they encounter disease: "And when he that has an issue is cleansed of his issue; then he shall number to himself even days for his cleansing, and wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in running water, and shall be clean" (Leviticus 15:13). Until recent years, doctors washed their hands in a bowl of water, leaving invisible germs on their hands. However, the Bible says specifically to wash hands under "running water."

14. Luke 17:34–36 says the Second Coming of Jesus Christ will occur while some are asleep at night and others are working at daytime activities in the field. This is a clear indication of a revolving earth, with day and night at the same time.

15. "During the devastating Black Death of the fourteenth century, patients who were sick or dead were kept in the same rooms as the rest of the family. People often wondered why the disease was affecting so many people at one time. They attributed these epidemics to ‘bad air’ or ‘evil spirits.’ However, careful attention to the medical commands of God as revealed in Leviticus would have saved untold millions of lives. Arturo Castiglione wrote about the overwhelming importance of this biblical medical law: ‘The laws against leprosyin Leviticus 13 may be regarded as the first model of sanitary legislation’ (A History of Medicine)." Grant R. Jeffery, The Signature of God With all these truths revealed in Scripture,how could a thinking person deny that the Bible is supernatural in origin? There is no other book in any of the world’s religions (Vedas, Bhagavad-Gita, Koran, Book of Mormon, etc.) that contains scientific truth. In fact, they contain statements that are clearly unscientific. Hank Hanegraaff said, "Faith in Christ is not some blind leap into a dark chasm, but a faith based on established evidence." (11:3 continued)

What a stretch. I could poke holes in this all day.
But I'll settle for 2.
An Egyptian man named Ptolemy figured out the world was round somewhere around 3000b.c. or so. That knowledge was surpressed by all all religions until Columbus.
Anyone who lived in violent and primitive times would figure out, rather quickly I would assume, that anything w/ a heartbeat would soon die from sufficient bloodloss. I think that knowledge would fall under the catagory of "DUH". Only because of ignorance and superstition would people get it into their heads that bleeding someone would cure them of anything.

You're trying to claim ALL religions surpressed that knowledge? All religions were in cahoots with one another? All religions spoke and actually discussed with one another?......... interesting, very interesting.

Yes. All of them. I asked.
I have a TARDIS and I went back in time and asked reps of every religion on Earth if they thought the Earth was sphere or flat. In 100 year increments from Ptolemy's time to Columbus. They ALL said it was flat until after Columbus did his thing.

Funny thing. The sky seemed to be bluer 3000 yrs ago. And Egypt had really good dates (the fruit).

no photo
Tue 09/28/10 10:53 PM
Ignorance is bliss.
And there are a lot of really happy people out there.

no photo
Tue 09/28/10 10:24 PM
Edited by Arcamedees on Tue 09/28/10 10:26 PM

Yes, I'm a street performer, also called a busker. I play guitar for tips on a corner in downtown Ft. Worth. It pays better than playing in bars and nightclubs.

lol...
In OKC, you have to buy a $70 license to "beg" for change.
THERE'S some good religious right wing compassion for ya.

no photo
Tue 09/28/10 10:21 PM

Move to Quebec, Canada, problem solved :D

yeah. I'll get right on that...

no photo
Tue 09/28/10 11:10 AM

I grew up in a small town in East Tennesse and my parents had The Department of Childrens Services called on them three times when I was growing up. Not because they were bad parents or mistreated me. The complaints were that my parents were atheists and unfit to raise me. School was a complete nightmare as well (I was called a devil worshiper and had things thrown at me) and was so glad to move away to go to college. Unfortunately where I am at now is not much better but there is at least there is an organization (East Tennessee Rationalists) where I can go to meet like minded people.

I know exactly how you feel. I had similar experiences. Gotta luv those fundies...

no photo
Mon 09/27/10 12:02 PM
Can we have a war against stupid people? I would support that kind of war.

no photo
Mon 09/27/10 11:57 AM

1. Only in recent years has science discovered that everything we see is composed of invisible atoms. Here, Scripture tells us that the "things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."

2. Medical science has only recently discovered that blood-clotting in a newborn reaches its peak on the eighth day, then drops. The Bible consistently says that a baby must be circumcised on the eighth day.

3. At a time when it was believed that the earth sat on a large animal or a giant (1500 B.C.), the Bible spoke of the earth’s free float in space: "He...hangs the earth upon nothing" (Job 26:7).

4. The prophet Isaiah also tells us that the earth is round: "It is he that sits upon the circle of the earth" (Isaiah 40:22). This is not a reference to a flat disk, as some skeptic maintain, but to a sphere. Secular man discovered this 2,400 years later. At a time when science believed that the earth was flat, is was the Scriptures that inspired Christopher Columbus to sail around the world (see Proverbs 3:6 footnote).

5. God told Job in 1500 B.C.: "Can you send lightnings, that they may go, and say to you, Here we are?" (Job 38:35). The Bible here is making what appears to be a scientifically ludicrous statement—that light can be sent, and then manifest itself in speech. But did you know that radio waves travel at the speed of light? This is why you can have instantaneous wireless communication with someone on the other side of the earth. Science didn’t discover this until 1864 when "British scientist James Clerk Maxwell suggested that electricity and light waves were two forms of the same thing" (Modern Century Illustrated Encyclopedia).

6. Job 38:19 asks, "Where is the way where light dwells?" Modern man has only recently discovered that light (electromagnetic radiation) has a "way," traveling at 186,000 miles per second.

7. Science has discovered that stars emit radio waves, which are received on earth as a high pitch. God mentioned this in Job 38:7: "When the morning stars sang together..."

8. "Most cosmologists (scientists who study the structures and evolution of the universe) agree that the Genesis account of creation, in imagining an initial void, may be uncannily close to the truth" (Time, Dec. 1976).

9. Solomon described a "cycle" of air currents two thousand years before scientists "discovered" them. "The wind goes toward the south, and turns about unto the north; it whirls about continually, and the wind returns again according to his circuits" (Ecclesiastes 1:6).

10. Science expresses the universe in five terms: time, space, matter, power, and motion. Genesis 1:1,2 revealed such truths to the Hebrews in 1450 B.C.: "In the beginning [time] God created [power] the heaven [space] and the earth [matter] . . . And the Spirit of God moved [motion] upon the face of the waters." The first thing God tells man is that He controls of all aspects of the universe.

11. The great biological truth concerning the importance of blood in our body’s mechanism has been fully comprehended only in recent years. Up until 120 years ago, sick people were "bled," and many died because of the practice. If you lose your blood, you lose your life. Yet Leviticus 17:11, written 3,000 years ago, declared that blood is the source of life: "For the life of the flesh is in the blood."

12. All things were made by Him (see John 1:3), including dinosaurs. Why then did the dinosaur disappear? The answer may be in Job 40:15–24. In this passage, God speaks about a great creature called "behemoth." Some commentators think this was a hippopotamus. However, the hippo’s tail isn’t like a large tree, but a small twig. Following are the characteristics of this huge animal: It was the largest of all the creatures God made; was plant-eating (herbivorous); had its strength in its hips and a tail like a large tree. It had very strong bones, lived among the trees, drank massive amounts of water, and was not disturbed by a raging river. He appears impervious to attack because his nose could pierce through snares, but Scripture says, "He that made him can make his sword to approach unto him." In other words, God caused this, the largest of all the creatures He had made, to become extinct.

13. Encyclopedia Britannica documents that in 1845, a young doctor in Vienna named Dr. Ignaz Semmelweis was horrified at the terrible death rate of women who gave birth in hospitals. As many as 30 percent died after giving birth. Semmelweis noted that doctors would examine the bodies of patients who died, then, without washing their hands, go straight to the next ward and examine expectant mothers. This was their normal practice, because the presence of microscopic diseases was unknown. Semmelweis insisted that doctors wash their hands before examinations, and the death rate immediately dropped to 2 percent. Look at the specific instructions God gave His people for when they encounter disease: "And when he that has an issue is cleansed of his issue; then he shall number to himself even days for his cleansing, and wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in running water, and shall be clean" (Leviticus 15:13). Until recent years, doctors washed their hands in a bowl of water, leaving invisible germs on their hands. However, the Bible says specifically to wash hands under "running water."

14. Luke 17:34–36 says the Second Coming of Jesus Christ will occur while some are asleep at night and others are working at daytime activities in the field. This is a clear indication of a revolving earth, with day and night at the same time.

15. "During the devastating Black Death of the fourteenth century, patients who were sick or dead were kept in the same rooms as the rest of the family. People often wondered why the disease was affecting so many people at one time. They attributed these epidemics to ‘bad air’ or ‘evil spirits.’ However, careful attention to the medical commands of God as revealed in Leviticus would have saved untold millions of lives. Arturo Castiglione wrote about the overwhelming importance of this biblical medical law: ‘The laws against leprosyin Leviticus 13 may be regarded as the first model of sanitary legislation’ (A History of Medicine)." Grant R. Jeffery, The Signature of God With all these truths revealed in Scripture,how could a thinking person deny that the Bible is supernatural in origin? There is no other book in any of the world’s religions (Vedas, Bhagavad-Gita, Koran, Book of Mormon, etc.) that contains scientific truth. In fact, they contain statements that are clearly unscientific. Hank Hanegraaff said, "Faith in Christ is not some blind leap into a dark chasm, but a faith based on established evidence." (11:3 continued)

What a stretch. I could poke holes in this all day.
But I'll settle for 2.
An Egyptian man named Ptolemy figured out the world was round somewhere around 3000b.c. or so. That knowledge was surpressed by all all religions until Columbus.
Anyone who lived in violent and primitive times would figure out, rather quickly I would assume, that anything w/ a heartbeat would soon die from sufficient bloodloss. I think that knowledge would fall under the catagory of "DUH". Only because of ignorance and superstition would people get it into their heads that bleeding someone would cure them of anything.

no photo
Mon 09/27/10 11:29 AM

A quote from the Principles of Rule,

"keep the population divided among themselves to keep them from unifying against you!"

Christianity does this in no way. It makes people united. Again, it teaches for us to love EVERYONE regardless of everything, beliefs, financial status, sex, ect. We are to love and help EVERYONE.

You believe in a very interesting interpretation of christianity. Sadly, it is definitatly not the majority of christians who believe as you do.
drinker

no photo
Fri 09/24/10 10:34 PM

Maybe to OKC God Squad is less agressive that the DFW virity. I've even had them insist on using my mic while I'm street performing.

Street performing?

And yeah. less agressive. I've had to threaten to sue to keep a religious "news"paper from appearing on my doorstep once a month.
Asking them not to deliver it didn't work.

no photo
Fri 09/24/10 10:15 PM
Give it some time. You will hate them eventually.

Right about the time you're making your 2nd or 3rd $400+ repair on your car because someone was trying to teach you to fear God.

no photo
Thu 09/23/10 09:56 AM
oi vay...

Was Hitler a christian?
There are several well documented instances where he claimed he was.
I believe there are also several instances where he or other Nazi leaders claimed they were doing "God's work".
However, I think it most likely Hitler and other Nazi leaders claimed christianity like most politicians claim christianity--to better influence the dumb masses.
There is no better way to whip up a frenzy than religion. Hitler, though crazy and just plain evil, wasn't stupid. Germany was going through a rough time in the early 1930's. Hitler needed a scapegoat to rally the people against and the Jews have long been such for christianity. Hitler capitolized on the simmering distrust and hatred for Jews that christianity has had since it's inception.

Did the Nazis kill christian religious leaders, nuns and priests, in the countries they invaded? Yes. The Nazis tended to kill anyone who spoke out against them, especially if they had a public forum. And I'm betting there were quite a few nuns and priests who didn't appreciate their homeland being invaded.

Is it unreasonable to suppose that Hitler forsaw a time where he believed he'd be sharing power with the church? And having forseen such a time, took steps to insure that the next generation only worshipped the state? I believe it is not. Thus the Hitler youth song.

So, did Hitler really believe God was on his side? Noone will ever know for sure. But since christains on the whole can't all agree on what constitutes a "christain" anyway, does it really matter? He obviously used christianity to his own purposes. This is well documented and not in dispute by historians. To say otherwise is to try to rewrite history.

no photo
Wed 09/22/10 12:47 PM
When people offer to "save me", I like to reply "Sorry. I've already been spent."

no photo
Tue 09/21/10 10:52 AM
I love Douglass Adams but I really don't understand this quote. I've never once thought any religious idea was forbidden to ridicule and lampoon in that way. I've made priests cry and nuns curse with my straightforward questioning and reasoning. And been cursed out and threatened by a few preachers and they're followers.

However, I have come to realize that arguing with most religionists is pointless. It's like trying to take a child's blankee away. The only thing accomplished is the ire and anguish of the child. Reason and logic have little effect when all a child wants is their blankee.
And so, I have stopped, for the most part.