Community > Posts By > anoasis

anoasis's photo
Sun 07/24/11 07:51 PM
Disclaimer: I'm not an atheist (but some of my best friends are- no really they are). But I find it almost as cocky to say that you KNOW there is no god as to say that you KNOW there is a god. I guess I don't KNOW much...

But I would think that if atheism is more prevalent in males perhaps it is because they cannot create a whole new person out of their own bodies and woman (potentially) can.

Having all that amazing creative power (the power to produce a seeming miracle if you will) perhaps it is easier for them to believe in other, greater, creative powers as well... or harder for them to dismiss the possibility...

Or maybe this is just BS on my part... laugh

anoasis's photo
Sun 07/24/11 07:38 PM
The types and sizes and colors make everything more fun. I mean how much more fun is it to have penguins AND giraffes? Variety is the best! It makes things so much more interesting.

And people aren't "made" racist. They become racist through fear.

It is a puzzle how so many religious people are so racist though because:

1. Didn't god make all people "in his image", "perfect" etc. in most religions? So how come so many religious folks seem to fear people that look a little different? God made them all...

2. Why are so many religious people so afraid? Isn't their religion supposed to be a comfort to them and keep them from fearing death and the future? In which case they should be the last to succumb to the fear that is the root of racism.

Alas I have seen more racism in the name of one god or another or by his followers than by non-believers...

Sigh.

anoasis's photo
Sun 07/24/11 07:27 PM
I'm sorry for your loss MT. Death sucks. Missing those people, not being able to talk to them, knowing that they can never eat ice cream or pet puppies ever again. Those things really suck.

How about "in the hereafter"?

It just means in the next phase or world...

flowerforyou

anoasis's photo
Wed 06/29/11 02:48 PM
It's difficult to see your face in most of the pics... many women like to look into a mans eyes. Perhaps you could take one in better light and add it to the others.

It makes me a little sad that life has taught you that being asian may effect your attractiveness... it would not be a factor for me but I'm already married to my marine : ).

Good luck.

anoasis's photo
Fri 07/30/10 08:30 PM
I see god all the time. In plants and trees, birds and bees, ocean and sky, moonlight, starlight and sunshine.

And hopefully you can see god in people too. Go look in the mirror. Can you see god now?

anoasis's photo
Mon 08/25/08 02:21 PM

I would currently kill for a bacon sandwich, so I suppose pork is dangerous to health!

But then it would not be dangerous to your health but that of others.... sort of like second hand smoke?!?!?

anoasis's photo
Mon 08/25/08 02:20 PM

I would think you might be able to get a ham sandwich in the christian sections, there are also many agnostic or non-practicing jews there who therefore find no reason to obey dietary laws and eat whatever they would like....

FYI- I was curious so I wanted to check out your specific point- I was unable to check the theorhetical question as it appears that there is no Subway in Israel....

hopefully this won't deter anyone from visiting what I'm sure is otherwise a lovely and certainly incredibly culturally fascinating nation....
laugh

LOL, my point was that he was saying that the difference in cancer cases was related to pork. The only way that could be verified is if the only different variable was pork and we all know that isnt the case. I was just being sarcastic.

Me too...

anoasis's photo
Sun 08/24/08 07:02 PM
I would think you might be able to get a ham sandwich in the christian sections, there are also many agnostic or non-practicing jews there who therefore find no reason to obey dietary laws and eat whatever they would like....

FYI- I was curious so I wanted to check out your specific point- I was unable to check the theorhetical question as it appears that there is no Subway in Israel....

hopefully this won't deter anyone from visiting what I'm sure is otherwise a lovely and certainly incredibly culturally fascinating nation....
laugh

anoasis's photo
Sun 08/24/08 06:30 PM
I like the holiday idea- but why not expand and include it in the attempt to make the thread long lasting and self sustaining?

I started several threads in the past that were just for fun for people to hang out and not fight- the problem was when the thread got peaceful everyone got bored and stayed away.... (e.g. Coffeehouse for human beings).

But I'm sure there is *some* kind of holiday every day so you could always celebrate and discuss the holiday for that day....

I never heard of Frey before- not that I know any other Norse gods.... God of Passion huh? And you said the celebration was fun but brief? In general I like my passion to last a bit longer...

doesn't sound like much of a "god" at first hearing?!?!
noway laugh noway

anoasis's photo
Sat 08/23/08 07:19 PM

I’m not but have been studying it for some time and it’s REALLY fascinating. But I do have to warn you there can be some aggressive Christians that peruse these forums. Hopefully no problems will arise but you never know. Blessed Be.

Did I do something wrong by posting this here? Like I said, I'm new and just getting the hang of all this.

You did nothing wrong. Some people mistakenly assumed that this was a christian dating site (not sure why?!?) but the forum is specifically stated to be open to all....

Peace and joy to all.
flowerforyou

anoasis's photo
Sat 08/23/08 07:18 PM

What does "go skyclad" mean?

Just curious.

flowerforyou

In Wicca and Wicca-based Neopaganism, skyclad is used to refer to ritual nudity

Thanks. I kind of figured it out about 2 minutes after I asked and there were the additional posts....
laugh laugh laugh laugh

anoasis's photo
Sat 08/23/08 07:14 PM
What does "go skyclad" mean?

Just curious.

flowerforyou

anoasis's photo
Thu 08/21/08 04:36 PM

Sexual misconduct, in particular adultery;

Lying and breaking promises;

Here's an interesting thought,...

Why bring "sexual misconduct" into the picture when the bottom line of what actually wrong is not the act of sex itself, but rather the breaking of promises and lying.

In other words, the real question is whether consensual polygamy is considered 'adultery'?

Does Buddhism state specifically that only a monogamous couple is considered to be 'unadulterated'.

Not that I personally care, I'm monogamous all the way just by pure innate desire.

But I'm just asking. Is consensual polygamy considere to be 'adultery' or is it just the breaking of a conventent of monogamy?

If it's the latter, then why even bring up the notion of 'sexual misconduct' when the real dragon is deciet and dishonesty against a convenent of monogamy.

In other words, it really has nothing to do with the act of sex itself, it's simply that a convenent of trust and promises was broken.

Not saying that this is in any way a 'lesser crime'. I'm just pointing out the redunancy of pointing to 'sex' as being the actual wrongful act. The wrongful act was in the deceit and the breaking of a convenant, not necessary the act of that deceit.

Sexual misconduct is more than just adultery. It can include unwilling or coersive acts, selfishness, being with one who cannot consent (e.g. a child or mentally diminished person). All the categories are open to debate and interpretation but another version states that the following are to be avoided:

"sexual relations without love and a long-term commitment. To preserve the happiness of myself and others, I am determined to respect my commitments and the commitments of others. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to prevent couples and families from being broken by sexual misconduct."

In general sexual misconduct is set apart as especially harmful because of the presumed intimacy and closeness between ones sexual partners and the increased harm a lie would cause versus a lie from a casual acquaintance.

Sexual misconduct was also to be avoided because it can lead to the break up of families or lead to unwanted or uncared for children, etc.

Because the potential harm is seen as so great it is singled out for special avoidance.

flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou

anoasis's photo
Sun 08/17/08 07:12 PM
Appropriate title. I could say the same...

noway

anoasis's photo
Sun 08/17/08 06:56 PM
Edited by anoasis on Sun 08/17/08 06:57 PM
I think of what I do as *praying* because that is part of my culture. But it is not a christian prayer (because I'm not christian).

Mostly I'm really talking to myself and I'm not really having expectations for some kind of participation from my creator.

For example I say a quick thanks before eating- this is primarily to remind myself to appreciate what I have.

I frequently pause for a few seconds to pray for patience- this normally occurs when I am on the brink of losing mine. The thought, wish, request, whatever helps me gather my resources and find what I need.

When others are sick or otherwise having difficulty I pray for them to have the strength they need to overcome obstacles or achieve acceptance of what must be. I don't pray for a specific outcome. I might also pray that I can find some way to be of help to them or I might take a second to remind myself to appreciate the good health of I and my family enjoy.

I have no idea if anyone else hears my prayers. I do believe in a creator, I think it would be great if the creator loves and is interested in its creation but I don't really know. All I know is my prayers seem to help me and I don't see how they could hurt.

Peace and joy to all. flowerforyou

anoasis's photo
Fri 08/15/08 03:00 PM
I looked again for an agenda... but I couldn't find one. Of course it's so messy inside my head with all that useless STUFF in there it's a wonder I can find anything at all...

But sometime *maybe* my agenda is to defend the underdog. I never like it when it seems like a bunch of people are picking on another person- especially if they are picking on that person's sincere beliefs.... most everyones beliefs sound silly to *someone*. That's cause they're beliefs and not provable facts.

Hello everyone. I've missed you all!

(((((RED)))))))))- thanks for the thread- somewhat provocative but not leading (yet) to actual bloodshed- yeah for you.

(((((Abra)))))))
(((((Voil))))))))
(((((Kat)))))))))
(((((Jess))))))))
(((((TLW)))))))
(((((JBean)))))

and (((((everyone else)))) I missed or forgot.... i'm sorry if I left you out....

Peace and joy to all. flowerforyou

anoasis's photo
Mon 08/11/08 06:58 PM
:heart: Come back soon as you can. :heart:
flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou

anoasis's photo
Mon 08/11/08 06:57 PM
Agenda?

Wow. You are all so organized... so purpose filled. I'm just wandering around. Seeing what there is to see, hoping for something funny or moving or surprising. Sometimes someone writes something that feels like what I believe or maybe even adds to what I believe- that's my favorite.

And sometimes (*sigh*, more often times) someone writes something judgemental, mean, exclusionary, hurtful, hateful, or that otherwise makes me annoyed or angry or disappointed.

It seems to me that it doesn't mater what the specific religion, the more rigid the individuals beliefs are the more likely they are to get mean and nasty with those who have different beliefs. Also, it seems to be a sign that they are not as secure in their beliefs- their insecurity makes them attack.

I agree with you Redi- there certainly are a lot of characters here! And that can be fun.

Peace and joy to all (and to all a good night...)
flowerforyou

anoasis's photo
Sun 08/10/08 08:10 PM
Strength and peace for all to accept what must be as best they can.

flowerforyou :heart: flowerforyou

anoasis's photo
Sun 08/10/08 08:05 PM

My guess is... If you do it to someone accidently... Then eventually, someone might do it accidentally to you... Does that make sense?

I agree. Just because you don't have a bad intention doesn't mean that you don't need to learn a lesson.

If a child does wrong unintentionally the parent must still correct them. Accidentally stepping on their little brother, forgetting to feed their pet, leaving toys on the stairs where they trip another... there is no evil intent but the action may still be damaging.

So Karma must come back for the careless action that resulted in accidental harm. However, if there was a bad result that was absolutely beyond ones control then I don't believe that a Karmic lesson or correction will be needed to balance out the harm.

E.g. You maintain your car properly and are a careful driver yet through a fluke your brakes fail and you hit another car. I don't believe this kind of accidental harm will result in negative karmic repercussions.

I rarely think things are black and white. There are almost always grey areas and exceptions to all rules.

Peace and joy. flowerforyou

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25