Community > Posts By > HillFolk

HillFolk's photo
Fri 11/16/07 01:34 AM
That was the rumour I got, too. He must be an alien.laugh

HillFolk's photo
Fri 11/16/07 01:32 AM
I bet you know where he lives then. I have heard that there is an APB out on him.laugh

HillFolk's photo
Fri 11/16/07 01:28 AM
I am sorry that I brought it up then. I didn't know you knew him personally.

HillFolk's photo
Fri 11/16/07 01:26 AM
He must get around a lot then.

HillFolk's photo
Fri 11/16/07 01:22 AM
I can remember being asked this question when I was just a child. I would just like to set the record straight that I have no knowledge of the muffin man and am not affiliated with the muffin man in any way, shape or form. laugh

HillFolk's photo
Thu 11/15/07 07:17 AM
I wouldn't blame you for being upset. That is upsetting. It invalidates all your hard work that you have done when you went the extra mile to work overtime for the gas station. I know it would piss me off, too.

HillFolk's photo
Thu 11/15/07 07:02 AM
That really says something good about your character that you gave two weeks notice even though you have to deal with the new manager and staying long enough that I take it the new employee that will be replacing is given enough time to be trained. Sounds like to me that they will be losing a good employee. Not everybody gives two weeks notice. Many when disatisfied with a job will just pick up the pay and leave. I am sorry that you have to give up a joy that you loved but I hope the new job works out better for you, Jeff.

HillFolk's photo
Thu 11/15/07 06:18 AM
Karen, I just bawled my eyes out for a couple of years. I would cry so much I would just make myself sick. I remember when I would sign in and all I could say was I was here but couldn't cope. I can remember thinking God this sucks. Try to type with my eyes just full of tears. Talked to this widow who had been through what I had. She just cracking one joke after another. I would be there just bawling my eyes out and laughing my ass off. I thought I was going to go stark raving mad. Then I had the high highs and the low lows. It was like a roaster coaster of emotions I would go through. One lady at a grief share meetings who went through something similiar said it was almost like pms. I would ask friends in my meetings if this **** ever gets any better. They assured me it would. Working with people who have went through the same thing has really helped. The grief ball is like all of your feelings and emotions wrapped up tight like a rubberband ball. I had to sort each one out separately and own up to it. It feels good to laugh today. I remember when I couldn't.

Marie, I asked her if she could upload via our two yahoo addresses. She asked me whether she wanted her to come see me or me to come see her. It is a six hour drive to where she lives. She cut the distance to half as far as she was from me. It is a six hour trip. I am thinking of making the trip to see her. The price of gas, the shape of my car and just taking the time off to go see her is weighing on my mind.

Jax, this is almost the longest time I have ever went not being married. I have had a lot of time to think about three of my marriages. I think I just took the first one for granted. I think I expected too much out of the second one and had some unrealistic expectations. The third one after a while started actually to work out pretty good all things considered. I had learned some stuff from the first two to the same woman. By the time the third one came around I think I was actually doing some real maturing. Yeah, if you don't laugh once in a while one really can go mad I think.laugh

HillFolk's photo
Wed 11/14/07 05:03 PM
I have just recently became of the Sorensen Project. The Sorenson Database is the foremost collection of genetic genealogy data in the world. Search by DNA results or surname and find your place in the worldwide genetic family tree. The Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to building the world's foremost collection of DNA and corresponding genealogical information.

SMGF is making their collection available for searching on this web site. Finding matching DNA results and pedigrees in the Sorenson Database can help you make new family connections throughout the world and across generations.

The Foundation is a world leader in DNA research with direct application to genealogy. Their work complements other studies that focus on the "deep ancestry" of humankind.

SMGF was inspired by discussions in 1999 between philanthropist James LeVoy Sorenson and BYU Professor Scott Woodward about using DNA in genealogy.

Since that time, SMGF has collected more than 60,000 DNA samples, together with four-generation pedigree charts, from volunteers in more than 100 countries around the world.

Y-chromosome DNA results and pedigree charts are available for searching in the Sorenson Database. Y-DNA results and pedigrees help you trace your direct paternal line.

SMGF plans to release the Sorenson Mitochondrial Database in the second half of 2006. mtDNA results and pedigrees can help you trace your direct maternal line.

The Foundation is also conducting research on autosomal DNA, and plans to release the Sorenson Autosomal Database in the near future. Autosomal DNA results and pedigrees can help you trace both family lines.

"I can't think of anything that matters more than reminding people everywhere that in a very real sense, we are all brothers and sisters," says Mr. Sorenson about our genetic connections.

We invite you to participate in the SMGF project and search the Sorenson Database. Help grow the genetic family tree, one branch at a time.

HillFolk's photo
Wed 11/14/07 04:34 PM
If you like to do research and spend hours in a library chasing faint trails you might like doing geneaology. You will surprised how many friends you can make online and in real life. I have found it helpful to always carry a pen and a notebook. Another good thing to know is how to use the libraries inter-library loan and the copier machine.

HillFolk's photo
Wed 11/14/07 03:05 PM
Bummer and I bet you really like boats, too.

HillFolk's photo
Wed 11/14/07 03:00 PM
I would of watched it just for Debbie Reynolds being in it.:smile:

HillFolk's photo
Wed 11/14/07 02:43 PM
It is an old movie but a good one. Margaret Brown was played by Kathy Bates in the 1997 film Titanic. For the character in Titanic, see Margaret "Molly" Brown.

Molly Brown (right) giving Captain Arthur Henry Rostron an award for his service in the rescue of the TitanicMargaret Tobin Brown (July 18, 1867 – October 26, 1932), more widely known as Maggie Brown or Molly Brown, was an American socialite, philanthropist, and activist who became famous as one of the survivors of the sinking of the RMS Titanic. She became known after her death as The Unsinkable Molly Brown, although she was never called Molly during her life.

Margaret Tobin was born in Hannibal, Missouri, one of six children of Irish immigrants. At age 18, she moved to Leadville, Colorado, with her sister, obtaining a job in a department store. It was here she met and married James Joseph Brown (J.J.), an enterprising, self-educated man, in 1886. Brown had always planned to marry a rich man but she married J.J. for love. She said, "I wanted a rich man, but I loved Jim Brown. I thought about how I wanted comfort for my father and how I had determined to stay single until himself who could give to the tired old man the things I longed for him. Jim was as poor as we were, and had no better chance in life. I struggled hard with myself in those days. I loved Jim, but he was poor. Finally, I decided that I'd be better off with a poor man whom I loved than with a wealthy one whose money had attracted me. So I married Jim Brown."

It was also in Leadville that she first became involved in women's rights, helping to establish the Colorado chapter of the National American Women's Suffrage Association, and worked in soup kitchens to assist miners' families. The family came into great wealth when J.J's engineering efforts proved instrumental in the production of a substantial gold and copper seam at the Little Jonny mine of his employers, Ibex Mining Company, and he was awarded 12,500 shares of stock and a seat on the board.

In 1894, the Browns moved to Denver, Colorado, which gave the family more social opportunities. Margaret became a charter member of the Denver Woman's Club, whose mission was the improvement of women's lives through continuing education and philanthropy. In 1901, she was one of the first students to enroll at the Carnegie Institute in New York. Adjusting to the trappings of a society lady, Brown became well-immersed in the arts and fluent in French, German, and Russian. In 1909 and 1914 she ran for Congress; she also assisted in the fundraising for Denver's Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception which was completed in 1912. Margaret also worked with Judge Lindsey to help destitute children and establish the United States' first juvenile court which helped form the basis of the modern U.S. juvenile courts system. Her lifelong career as a human and labor rights advocate earned her prominence in the aftermath of the Ludlow Massacre in Trinidad, Colorado in 1914.

Margaret and J.J. privately separated in 1909, but stayed connected and cared for each other. He died in 1922.

The Browns' first child, Lawrence Palmer Brown, was born on August 30, 1887 in Hannibal, Missouri. Their second child, Catherine Ellen Brown, nicknamed Helen, was born on July 1, 1889 in Leadville, Colorado.

Margaret was on a European tour with her daughter Helen in April 1912 when she learned that her first grandson, Lawrence, was ill. She immediately booked first class passage back to the U.S. on the first ship that was available, the Titanic. When the ship collided with the iceberg and began to sink, she helped many others to the lifeboats before being forced into one herself. Once on the water, she demanded that women be allowed to row as well as men, she and the other women in lifeboat no. 6 worked together to row and keep spirits up despite the alleged panic and gloom of Quartermaster Robert Hichens. After being rescued by the RMS Carpathia, Brown helped prepare lists of those who had been rescued, acted as an interpreter for other survivors, and headed the Titanic Survivors' Committee, a group of wealthy survivors which raised funds to help those less fortunate among surviving passengers and crew. The Committee collected $10,000 from survivors and Carpathia passengers by the time the ship made port in New York City. She later raised funds to reward Captain Rostron and his crew; she personally presented Rostron with a loving cup on behalf of the Titanic survivors in New York City. The media acclaimed her as one of the heroines of the hour for both her grace under pressure and her useful contributions. She was quoted as saying that her survival was attributable to "typical Brown luck... we're unsinkable". She later became known as the Unsinkable Molly Brown.

She was also one of those behind the creation of the Titanic Memorial in New York City.

Her fame as a prominent Titanic survivor helped her promote the issues she felt deeply about - the rights of workers and women, education and literacy for children, and historic preservation. During World War I in France she worked with the American Committee for Devastated France to rebuild areas behind the front line, and helped wounded French and American soldiers. She was awarded the French Legion of Honour shortly before her death for her "overall good citizenship" including her relief work in France, her efforts for Titanic survivors, and her activism and philanthropy at home in America.

Margaret Tobin Brown died in her sleep on October 26, 1932, at age 65.
For the 1964 film, see The Unsinkable Molly Brown (film)

The Unsinkable Molly Brown

CD Cover Broadway Cast Recording
Music Meredith Willson
Lyrics Meredith Willson
Book Richard Morris
Productions 1960 Broadway
1964 film
1989 U.S. tour
The Unsinkable Molly Brown is a musical with music and lyrics by Meredith Willson and book by Richard Morris. The musical tells a fictionalized version of the life of Margaret Brown, who survived the sinking of the RMS Titanic, and her wealthy miner-husband.

The musical was directed by Dore Schary with choregraphy by Peter Gennaro. It opened on Broadway at the Winter Garden Theatre on November 3, 1960, and closed on February 10, 1962, after 532 performances and 1 preview. Debbie Reynolds and Harve Presnell starred in a national tour 1989-1990, playing cities from New Haven to Seattle. (New York Times, June 11, 1989 and October 1, 1989)

A film adaptation was released in 1964 starring Debbie Reynolds and Harve Presnell.

HillFolk's photo
Wed 11/14/07 06:37 AM
laugh laugh laugh

HillFolk's photo
Wed 11/14/07 06:35 AM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNN

Hey, its the yawn heard all the way around the world. What would happen if everybody in the whole wide would yawn at the same time?laugh

HillFolk's photo
Wed 11/14/07 06:24 AM
Yup. When the automatic senser lights go out then its time to go home.:smile:

HillFolk's photo
Wed 11/14/07 06:20 AM
I work third shift. Work all night when many are sleeping and then go to sleep while many are working.

HillFolk's photo
Wed 11/14/07 06:10 AM
One movie that made me cry was Fried Green Tomatoes.sad One movie that made me laugh was Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.laugh I like the show Dinner and a Movie.

HillFolk's photo
Wed 11/14/07 05:54 AM
Our director of nursing made some dog chow and it is pretty good. You take Corn Chex and add powdered sugar and Hershey's cocoa and shake it all together in a big baggy. I have been eating it all night. Sure makes you thirsty though. I would get something to drink to go with it before I tried it.

HillFolk's photo
Wed 11/14/07 05:49 AM
Got the facebook then got OkCupid and then found out OKCupid offered facebook so the two are linked together.

1 2 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 24 25