Community > Posts By > HillFolk

HillFolk's photo
Fri 12/07/07 07:03 PM
Friend at a meeting wife's stepfather passed away last night. Went through the bawling myself a few years back with my wife's passing. It is hard on the survivors. One lady at the meeting has a pacemaker and has to take prescriptions. She has 13 months sober. Hard to replace the friendship of others who have been through similar circumstances. Glad the program still works for me and others. Hoping comfort for you, Karen and your significant others.

HillFolk's photo
Fri 12/07/07 06:55 PM
Same thing, Kidattheart. Can't use the same email address with different accounts. Tried different emails but same problem. So I just got my old name back.

HillFolk's photo
Fri 12/07/07 03:41 PM
Yay, I have generic yahoo!

HillFolk's photo
Fri 12/07/07 03:38 PM
Just about have Kopete working the way I want it. The only thing I couldn't get to working with Kopete was voice for my microphone but downloaded Ekiga. Haven't figured how to get Kopete and Ekiga working together but I can use Ekiga separately. Ekiga has audio and video so I can use my microphone and webcam together.

HillFolk's photo
Thu 12/06/07 07:18 PM
The next day after I told her she was a great fault finder when she came in she told me that we need to talk private. She told me that she got a good rest and felt much better. I am finding it better to vent with her than just calling her a crazy bytch like the last male cna who worked with her.laugh

HillFolk's photo
Thu 12/06/07 07:11 PM
I took a risk in being honest with one of my bosses last week. I told her I having a problem sometimes admitting I am wrong sometimes. I told her it makes me feel vulnerable. I told her that she is a great fault finder. I was impressed as not even my ex wife was as good as she is in finding the faults in others. She is a real natural as it comes to her so easy. I told her that I thought that we must be getting on each other's nerves since we spend so much time together since the other scheduled help usually just call in. I have found that the call ins are with us in spirit even though they have trouble being with us in person. My boss thinks I am improving.

HillFolk's photo
Thu 12/06/07 06:53 PM
Maybe it wasn't meant to be, Jeff. I have this male friend who is taking estrogen shots. I am not sure if he is doing it for himself or for his husband. I mean I am trying to understand why he is doing this but so far I just don't get it. I mean I am open-minded. I once took a birth control pill just to see if I could high on it. Didn't get pregnant but still it just didn't do anything for me. I like that line from Casablanca where Bogey says something to the effect of, "You know what we are doing doesn't make a hill of beans to the rest of the world." Maybe you are being tested for something better that will come along. I thought it was cool that you were willing to try to improve your life even though it didn't quite work out the way you expected.:smile:

HillFolk's photo
Thu 12/06/07 04:07 PM
Naw, you're it.laugh

HillFolk's photo
Thu 12/06/07 04:05 PM
There can be only one. You're it.laugh

HillFolk's photo
Thu 12/06/07 06:58 AM
Thursday, 6 December 2007, 12:05 GMT

Microsoft trials XP on XO laptop
Children with XO laptops
The XO laptops are being trialled worldwide
Microsoft is to begin field tests of Windows XP working on the so-called $100 laptop, or XO, early in 2008.

It has not committed to offering XP on the XO laptop but hopes to release the operating system in the first half of 2008 if the trials succeed.

The work, undertaken as part of the firm's plans to widen access to technology, forms part of a project to run Windows on flash-based machines.

The XO does not have a hard drive, and uses a lightweight flash drive instead.

Microsoft's James Utzschneider, writing on his blog, said: "We are hard at work on the project here.

"Between Microsoft employees and third party contractors that we have brought into the effort, we have over 40 engineers working full-time on the port."

The XO is the work of the One Laptop Per Child project to boost access to technology in the developing world by building a low-cost laptop designed for educational uses.

It has been pioneered by a not-for-profit group lead by Nicholas Negroponte, the founder of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Media Lab.

The group has taken its first orders, with 100,00 bought by Uruguay and 40,000 by Peru, with an option for a further 210,000.

The availability of Windows on the XO could boost take-up of the machine. There have been reports that some countries have been cautious about signing-up to the project because it does not run Windows, the world's most popular operating system.

The XO laptop runs Linux, an open source operating system which costs nothing for schools around the world to use.

If schools and governments wanted to use XP on an XO machine they would have to buy a license.

For Microsoft the challenge in porting XP to the XO machine has been in re-writing many drivers for the operating system that control functions like the laptop's webcam and wireless connections.

The engineers have also had to work to fit the operating system into a much smaller amount of storage.

One laptop

Factfile: XO laptop

Microsoft asked the XO project to add a slot for an internal SD memory card to boost the storage to 2GB in order to run XP. The complication for Microsoft is that the XO has a custom SD interface, rather than a standard one used by most computers.

"The potential payoff for students and schools from this work, of course, is that the tens of thousands of existing educational applications written for Windows can potentially run on the XO," said Mr Utzschneider.

Microsoft is currently looking into the process of installing XP onto the machines at the point they are manufactured in the factory and remotely, if needed.

Mr Utzschneider added: "Microsoft plans to publish some formal design guidelines early next year that will help Flash PC manufacturers benefit from our early work so they can design machines that enable a great Windows experience at as low a cost as possible."

HillFolk's photo
Wed 12/05/07 07:45 AM
Off from work and got my new driver's license. Passed the eye exam and they didn't ask for a birth certificate. Worried for nothing. Bought some breakfast pork chops and made some eggs. The dogs really enjoyed the bones. They are still chewing on them. Had a pretty good last night. New aide helped me last night. Said she missed her husband after the law came and got him for shooting their neighbor. Said she had to take off early to see him court. One aide couldn't make it because the law didn't like her driving on her suspended license. Said she couldn't come to work because she was in jail. Will get to work with a lesbian couple who are just starting again after being gone for a while. Gees, where do they get these people? So many call-ins it is getting to be normal operating conditions. Will have to work one of my days off in an effort to pitch in. Everybody who hasn't quit or got fired yet are having to work overtime. It is just another day in paradise. Good morning, friends.:smile:

HillFolk's photo
Tue 12/04/07 07:56 PM
Robert Deniro
Jodie Foster

HillFolk's photo
Tue 12/04/07 07:47 PM
Ayttm stands for Are you talking to me. I wonder if Robert Deniro had something to do with the name of it.:smile:

HillFolk's photo
Tue 12/04/07 03:55 PM
Instant Messaging Services

* Yahoo!
* MSN Messenger
* Jabber support (including SSL)
* IRC (Internet Relay Chat) support
* ICQ support
* AIM-TOC (AOL Instant Messenger)
* SMTP (for sending emails)
* File Transfers to/from MSN and Yahoo! users, and receive only from AIM users
* Group Chat (Conferences) with AIM, Jabber, MSN and Yahoo! users
* MSN's Netmeeting integration, using GnomeMeeting
* Yahoo Webcam viewing support

Core Features

* Protocol Transparency - one buddy, one chat window, multiple accounts on multiple IM systems!
* Tabbed chat, with color alerts for new messages
* Themable smiley graphics
* Tooltips to track people's status
* Conversation and group-chat logging
* File Transfer between Ayttm clients (with any protocol)
* Away mode and other status indicators
* Play sounds (with esd and artsd support)
* Asynchronous connections
* Support for multiple accounts on the same service for almost every service
* Auto-join to chatrooms
* Chat logs export
* Server-side userlist and groups management

Utilities

* Automatic translation using Babelfish
* Automatic conversion to L33t-speak (yeah, we wanna have fun!)
* Importing of everybuddy, gnomeicu, gaim, and Licq buddy lists
* Keep notes on Contacts
* Rainbow colors in messages
* Digital signature and encrpytion plugin using GPG - compatible with kopete
* Typing notifications for MSN, Yahoo! and Jabber
* Spell checker

Not fancy but it has a lot to offer.

HillFolk's photo
Tue 12/04/07 03:48 PM
Ayttm - Universal Instant Messaging Client

Ayttm is an instant messaging (aka chat) client that provides all-in-one chat functionality for several major instant messaging services from one simple program. Ayttm "Contacts" allow you to refer to several accounts of the same person from a single contact name, making it one of the cleanest and simplest clients to use.

Ayttm is the heir of the Everybuddy project, and aims to continue improving the program and addressing its shortcomings. Our primary goal is to provide a messenger which is :

* simple: Ayttm should work nicely without having to first go through a complicated configuration procedure. The preferences should be simple and minimal.
* stable: Ayttm should not crash when you use it.
* intuitive: Ayttm should be almost instantly usable by my mother ;)
* flexible: Ayttm supports multiple protocols and they should be supported in an integrated manner (common interface, for example), without limiting protocol-specific features support. Ayttm currently handles Yahoo!, MSN, Jabber, IRC, AIM and ICQ.

Ayttm is developed primarily for Linux but it is also available on BSD and Windows NT/2000 platforms

I like that it doesn't crash and it is free.

HillFolk's photo
Tue 12/04/07 03:38 PM
Gave up kopete and went to ayttm. ayttm works well with a lot of instant messengers.

HillFolk's photo
Mon 12/03/07 02:06 PM
Boiled Sassafras root is a good relaxer if anyone is having trouble sleeping. You can put a piece of it in a bowl of water like making tea or put it with the tea and it has a real calming effect. Essential oil distilled from the root-bark or the fruit was used as a fragrance in perfumes and soaps, food (sassafras tea and candy flavoring) and for aromatherapy.

The dried and ground leaves are used to make filé powder, a spice used in the making of some types of gumbo.

It is also used in the manufacture of the drug ecstasy, and as such, its transport is monitored internationally.

The roots of Sassafras was used in the flavoring of root beer until being banned in 1960.

In 1960, the U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banned the use of sassafras oil and safrole in foods and drugs based on the animal studies and human case reports. Several years later, the sale of sassafras oil, roots, or tea was prohibited by law. Subsequently, both Canada and the United States have passed laws against the sale of any consumable products (beverages, foods, cosmetics, health products such as toothpaste, and others) that contain more than specific small amounts of safrole. Historical or traditional use (may or may not be supported by scientific studies) Sassafras was used by Native Americans for many purposes, primarily for infections and gastrointestinal problems. Sassafras was one of the first and largest exports from the New World back to Europe as a beverage and medicine. Commercially, the pleasant tasting volatile oil was valued as a flavoring agent in root beer and similar beverages. Eclectic physicians in the late 19th and early 20th centuries considered sassafras a useful diaphoretic (a substance that causes sweating) and diuretic plant, primarily for relieving rheumatism and fevers, and as part of the treatment of urinary tract infections.

HillFolk's photo
Mon 12/03/07 05:59 AM
netuserlla, another reason that I forgot since I have been on Windows so long that I like about Linux is that one doesn't have to run scan disk and defrag with Linux. Found a great Mahjong game and the program called Envy fixed my Nvidia problem.

HillFolk's photo
Sun 12/02/07 05:32 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/hardy/alpha1

This is kind of new.:smile:

HillFolk's photo
Sun 12/02/07 05:15 PM
http://linux.about.com/od/howtos/Linux_HowTos.htm

Little rusty. Nice page

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25