Community > Posts By > JustAGuy2112

JustAGuy2112's photo
Tue 07/13/10 11:13 PM

In a governed society, the government identifies rights, defines them, determines who and how they are to be given to citizens and makes laws to this effect.

So the government assigns privileges to allow the citizenry to have and weapons are a privilege the government allows.

You can't do squat in this country that the government doesn't allow you to do.

Like it or not.

Oddly enough...I actually ( kinda ) agree with this. lol

JustAGuy2112's photo
Tue 07/13/10 10:22 PM

Porcello did look pretty good in his first start with the Mud Hens 0 runs in 7 innings. I don't think Lee would have been the right guy for Detroit way to high an asking price. There are two that make sense Oswalt in Houston and Haren in Arizona, both have a couple of years on their contracts. With the Tigers being able to unload some huge contracts after this season they should be in good shape when it comes to free agents.

If Bonderman would get more run support he'd probably be over .500 since he has pitched well this season and he hasn't shown any signs of his past arm and shoulder problems.

The Whitesox loosing Peavy might force them to make some sort of move and soon. They have to be one if not the streakiest teams in baseball and that could carry them past the Twins and Tigers. Only time will tell.

The only problems with Haren and Oswalt are the asking price, which will still be exceptionally high ( especially for Oswalt ) and the fact that it's pretty rare for a National League pitcher to come to the American League and dominate.

The NL has much weaker lineups than the AL. The pitcher doesn't get a " break " against the DH in the American League.

That normally doesn't translate very well.

I believe Dan Haren was in the AL with Oakland at the beginning of his career, so he might be ok coming over.

Oswalt might be a good deal for the rest of this season, but once the hitters in the AL adjust to him...

Can the Tigers really afford to give up top notch pitching prospect like Turner and Oliver ( which is what they would have to give up to get Oswalt ) for a " maybe "???

JustAGuy2112's photo
Tue 07/13/10 12:10 AM

You are mistaken. Read the Federalist Papers and the Constitution. I demand to know where you got this false information. The Supreme Court's role is only to interpret law in case of disputes. Its role is very limited as well-which you would know if you had read the Constitution and the Federalist papers. Now, get reading!

You are wasting your time, dude.

She is perfectly content to allow her life and the way she thinks things should be to be ruled by emotion rather than logic or facts.

Just look at her rants against the Arizona law.

She jumps up and down about how " racist " it is, when the FACTS clearly show it isn't.

But that doesn't matter.

JustAGuy2112's photo
Mon 07/12/10 12:30 AM
It'll be interesting to see if all three of them can keep their egos in check.

The biggest problem with James going to Miami is that he, Bosh and Wade all play EXACTLY the same way.

It may not mix all that well.

JustAGuy2112's photo
Mon 07/12/10 12:26 AM

Tigers all the way but get Verlander some help and get Cabrera out of the home run derby, he'll mess up his swing.

The starting pitching might not be stellar....but it's good.

The bullpen is fine, even without Zumaya ( AGAIN ).

I do agree that they should try to add a starter before the deadline....but I wouldn't really expect them to.

The reason they didn't go after Cliff Lee was because ANY deal to get him would have had to involve Jacob Turner or that Oliver kid they called up. The Tigers are not willing to part with either of those prospects and I can't blame them. No point in giving up the farm for a guy who wouldn't be anything more than a 1/2 season rental.

I wouldn't worry. Porcello is getting back to form. Verlander is gonna be dominant just like he always is. Bonderman is doing pretty well considering all the problems he's had. Gallaraga got sent back to Toledo, but that was ONLY because they weren't going to be needing him and they wanted to keep him working.

With Jake Peavy going out for the season, the Tigers chances of winning the Central went up a bit....and the Twins don't seem to be playing all that well.

Anything can happen.

Oh. And I wouldn't worry about Cabrera messing up his swing in the Home Run Derby.

He is WAY too good a hitter to let something like that effect his game.

JustAGuy2112's photo
Mon 07/12/10 12:18 AM

i don't know about you but if the Ump called that play and ruined my perfect game i don't think i would of been as nice

it was obviously the worst call in MLB history and MLB felt bad so they bought him a car???????? i don't know about you but if it was my game and they called that play wrong with a game as historic as that a car would not be enough i would be like give me my perfect game which is what he really deserves! hats off to Galarraga for being as calm and mature as he was for that game! class act! loved it! i wish more ball players would be like that..

Selective history??

Come on. There have been hundreds upon hundreds of bad calls.

Don Denkinger made a much worse call than that in a WORLD SERIES game.

Yes. It was a bad call. Gallaraga and Joyce BOTH were class acts after that game. The only thing I didn't particularly care for was that over the week after the call, Joyce got MUCH more media exposure than Armando did.

By the way.....

MLB did not buy the car. The Tigers organization did to reward Armando for being so classy through the whole thing.

JustAGuy2112's photo
Mon 07/12/10 12:09 AM
Funny. I didn't see her ask for a picture rating.

Some people don't really need someone else to let them know they are attractive.

JustAGuy2112's photo
Sun 07/11/10 09:52 PM
OMG!!!!

Now we MUST ban ALL guns.

Just think of the CHILDREN!!!!!

JustAGuy2112's photo
Sun 07/11/10 09:51 PM
Wasn't it a bunch of " Anarchists " from out of town that actually incited the rioting?

Take a close look, if you can find video, and you'll see quite a few spray painted " slogans " like....

" Oakland is our amusement park tonight "

and

" Riot for Oscar "

Granted, the " black folks " were pissed...and rightfully so as far as I am concerned.

But it's kinda sad that they are getting all the negative press about the rioting when it was more the result of instigation done by a bunch of white kids in masks who didn't even live in Oakland.

JustAGuy2112's photo
Sun 07/11/10 09:44 PM
HAH!!!

I've heard of frying an egg on the sidewalk.

Never heard of grilling a burger on a patio, though.

rofl rofl rofl rofl

JustAGuy2112's photo
Sun 07/11/10 09:41 PM

Psst.

Hey, Lex.

If ya look a little closer, you'll see that the very next word after ' pul ' would be ' linspiration '.

Seems that she just hit the space bar in the wrong spot.:thumbsup:

GREAT profile!!

Seems you have a point there! On the other hand, we can't just let people go around hitting the space bar any time they feel like it!

It would be CHA OS!

shades

True eno ugh.

Not to mention....if I hit the space bar in the wrong place, my spell checker goes bonkers....lmao

JustAGuy2112's photo
Sun 07/11/10 09:35 PM
Psst.

Hey, Lex.

If ya look a little closer, you'll see that the very next word after ' pul ' would be ' linspiration '.

Seems that she just hit the space bar in the wrong spot.:thumbsup:

GREAT profile!!

JustAGuy2112's photo
Sun 07/11/10 10:22 AM

Slice of Vidalia onion, grilled. Guacamole, manchego cheese, and jalapenos. With bacon

Never heard of that kind of cheese.

Does sound like a tasty burger though.:thumbsup:

JustAGuy2112's photo
Sat 07/10/10 09:38 PM

Oh come on. You guys aren't going to make the girls drink alone are you?

Sorry, Chrissy.

This guy doesn't drink.

JustAGuy2112's photo
Sat 07/10/10 09:32 PM

This may seem like an obvious question but I was just wondering about it recently...

Is it safe to say that the vast majority of people, not only on this site, but in life, have had their heart broken severely by someone they love at least once in their life?

I would think that to be pretty accurate.

Wassamatter Jas? Didn't feel like chasing down the " Just Ask " thread this time around??? LMAO

Good to see you again.flowers

JustAGuy2112's photo
Sat 07/10/10 01:36 PM
Milford???noway

That place isn't a whole lot bigger than where I live....lmao

No wonder you are here....lol

Hello fellow ( although not for much longer ) Michiganian. :-)

JustAGuy2112's photo
Sat 07/10/10 01:22 PM
It's all about CONTROL.

It's not that he would " need " to...it's simply the fact that he CAN if he chose to.

JustAGuy2112's photo
Fri 07/09/10 09:36 PM
Edited by JustAGuy2112 on Fri 07/09/10 09:39 PM
Justaguy wrote:
Our fabulous governor is making these " suggestions " now...after how many years of us seeing her policies drive this state into the ground.

Ms. Granholm is making these suggestions so that a Democrat has SOMETHING to run on.
SHE can't run again, so SHE is providing " ideas " on how to " lower " taxes.

Since you don't live here, I suppose I can forgive you for actually buying into that crap.

Ok, so you’ve had YEARS to influence your State Senate to prevent the policies from becoming law OR to request that your state legislatures ‘review’ and correct or repeal those policies that have proven ineffective. (in fact I noticed one was repealed, so influence by the people works)
A Point I want to make here:
All too often people align their own perspectives of government with the perspectives of a political party. People will tend to ‘expect’ the actions of their State (& Federal) representatives to correspond to their own political and social ideologies. Obviously, in this case, the Michigan Republican majority legislatures did not act in accordance with your beliefs. Aligning individual perspectives with that of a particular party line does not absolve individuals of the responsibility of staying connected with their reps and voicing their concerns and opinions of legislative actions.

It needs to be understood that each party consists of members whose perspectives, on any given issue, run along a spectrum and may or may not be consistent with our own. To continue to suggest that the State/country has gone to hell solely due to the (slur of ridiculous name-calling) dems/repubs is not only counterproductive but shows a lack of responsibility of our personal role in how government works.

You may be one who is totally involved, constantly calling your reps, writing them, or filling out their on-line or mail requests for your opinion, but you have to realize you are only one – so you have to think why didn’t my reps respond to these policies as I would have? Regardless, no matter the party one aligns with, once the representative has taken office, s/he is your representative and you and others, like you, are suppose to be their guide – where were all the Republicans and why where their views not promoted – perhaps they expected their Reps to know their minds (based on party) but now we both know that’s not how it works.

Contrary to the thoughts of some, I don't align myself with any party. I simply look for a candidate that doesn't seem to want to govern with emotion rather than by what is actually good for everyone in the state. Too bad we haven't had one of those candidates in a VERY long time.

Justaguy:
Why, exactly, did she not " suggest " these things a few years ago??? Because cutting taxes, or even " restructuring " them is NOT on their agenda.

On whose agenda? – the state legislature’s agenda? Isn’t that supposed to be influenced by constituents, and specifically, in the case of Michigan, by the ‘Republican’ ideal? So who is to blame for this lack of proper ‘agenda’? (rhetorical question, referring back to our role as constituents)

It is, indeed, supposed to be influenced by the constituents. But we both know that once politicians are elected, the people they are supposed to represent become very low priority.

Justaguy
Over the last couple of years, there were several stories in BOTH papers about the governor and lawmakers wanting to RAISE the taxes because there was less revenue coming in because people were leaving the state. Especially the small businesses and young wage earners.

You, having not lived here for the last 8 years, have not heard all the crap that has been promised, and seen the actual ACTIONS.

You are correct, I’ve been living in Indiana, and believe me we have been dealing with the same issue of attracting and keeping the young workforce and especially the young and educated workforce. We even have a department dedicated to figuring all that out? I’ve been following it and the number of educated people who have made their own inputs. Keeping up with it helps me decide how I want to respond to current legislative issues.

Understood. The problem is that no one in the legislature here is coming up with any real solutions. One of the problems is that, because of term limits, neither side is willing to meet in the middle on most issues. They dig in their heels and refuse to work together. I see a lot of people screaming for term limits in the House and Senate. Well....from living here....I can understand why they think it would be a good idea...but in reality....it doesn't seem to work very well.

Justaguy:
But, of course, because you AGREE with it, you'll use that story as a shining example of Democrat " leadership ".

Not at all, I never said I agreed, I was simply making factual points from which to base the discussion. I vote for whomever I think will serve the constituents not the party – I have voted both parties and in the end no matter who my representative is, they hear from me, and I keep track of how they vote and what new policies they legislate.

Fair enough. My apologies for the cheap shot.

Justaguy
15th out of 50 states is still not very good. Especially considering that everything POSSIBLE should be done to draw businesses TO this state after the collapse of the auto industry. The job losses in the auto industry have been going on for quite a while under her watch. Why is it that, just now, as she is about to LEAVE OFFICE, she is suddenly coming up with this idea when it could have been done YEARS ago?

As you said, I don’t live there, and my research was constrained by time, though I tried to find good source material. I spent a lot of time reviewing the “Michigan Business Tax” including its conception and instatement. Initially it was meant to reduce the tax burden on small business, in fact it seemed that was one of the major points of the policy.

I can’t say what went wrong but I did find a possible partial answer and today I did some comparison research with other states to see if it might be valid. It seems that over the last decade both Fed and State have been changing tax impositions on all businesses. But what has happened, particularly with new business ventures and those that remain small is that they have not kept up with all the options available to them to lessen their own tax burden. The greatest examples are in how they have set up and maintain their business (ie. S-corp, partnership, LLC, or Corporation). I realize this is only part of the problem, but many States have recognized it as well and have actually created entitlements or State agencies devoted to educate the State’s small business owners – too many of whom do not take advantage of this advocacy.

Here's a part of what went wrong. Too many politicians got the idea that spending more than they took in was a good idea. Then they needed to get more and more.

How many Small Business owners have time to read through a 200 volume tax code ( might be an exaggeration but not by much ) to find all of their " options " to lower their tax burden?? How many of them can actually afford to pay an accountant to do it for them?

The guy with the landscaping business who is busting his butt 15 hours a day doesn't have a whole lot of time or energy to sift through the 200,000 words of legalese. He also doesn't make enough to pay an accountant.

Justaguy:
So let me ask you this.

Why is it that to lower the taxes on small businesses, it has to be " offset "??? Why can't they just cut spending for their pet projects??

It's always, " We CAN'T cut spending!!! We would have to cut EDUCATION spending!!! * insert hand wringing here * ".

I laughed at the last part because I feel the same frustration. So … I looked into it. Let me run this past you and see what you think.

State governments have decided part of their responsibility is to ‘create jobs’. Although this has an element of truth, I think it has gotten out of hand. First of all, the State uses its tax and other revenues, combined with Federal entitlements for such things as land improvements (bridges, levees, sewers, roads, etc) which does create jobs. Except for ‘administration’ these types of jobs are basically short term and when privatized, as they are, these jobs may include workers from other states. BUT that’s not all bad because those workers ‘spend’ some portion of their pay supporting businesses in the state – and the businesses pay taxes.

Ummm...considering that Michigan's roads and bridges are consistently rated as some of the worst in the country....that SURE isn't what they are spending our taxes on.

State’s feel compelled to maintain this kind of job creation. First of all, some of it is absolutely necessary, repair of levies and roads and sewers must be maintained. Schools must be competitive or the State fails to attract and retain the young workforce and their families. Job creation in this is more of a byproduct of State government, but it has become viewed by some States as their responsibility (job provision). State gov then “requires” a certain amount of revenue to support that mindset. The state then raises taxes, often of businesses, in order to keep “creating jobs”.

So why can't they realize that they, in effect, are STOPPING businesses from creating jobs?? What blinds them to that fact?

I think that’s the problem. The tax burden on small businesses, and even on the people, is an effort to maintain their status as job creators but the jobs they create should be viewed as a byproduct of State welfare, growth and development. If the state does not recognize the error of its mindset, it will try to raise taxes in any area that will create State revenue. But THAT is an error, because it is the small business that generates the greatest amount of long term employment, therefore, as you have pointed out, it is the small businesses that should be counted on to ‘create the jobs’, no the State.

So I do agree with you, States need to reduce administration and support business through privatization, and maintain only the infrastructures of State that are too large and costly for any business alone to support.

So what do you think?

I agree. If states and the Federal Government ( the idea of " entitlements " is something that should be looked at VERY closely because it's been twisted FAR beyond it's intended purpose ) would get out of the way or the true job growth that small businesses create, the states and the country as a whole would be much better equipped to pull us out of the hole we find ourselves in.

Privatization is a good idea for the majority of Government " services " ( both state AND federal ). But, the politicians can't really allow that to happen because then the need for tax revenue would go down. Then they would have absolutely no excuse for not lowering the tax burden. Not only on small businesses...but on the population as a whole.

As far as infrastructures that are " too big " for any business to handle alone....

Trust me....a business can grow to accomodate ANY task. IF the incentive to do so is there.

There IS nothing in the State Governments that couldn't be handled by private sector businesses.

PS - I was interrupted with an important phone call while writing this so I have not considered your most post before this one. Just saying - in case you think I have ignored it, I havn't, just havn't gotten there yet.

No worries. :-)

JustAGuy2112's photo
Fri 07/09/10 08:50 PM
Hiya Holly.:thumbsup:

Dancere....After all the crap I posted in these forums....

Yeah....it definitely means there is hope for EVERYONE...lmao

JustAGuy2112's photo
Fri 07/09/10 08:24 PM
Howdy Dancere.

Thanks.flowerforyou

2 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25